Book for new Dads? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 12-08-2009, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to get my hubbie a good book for new dads that has some useful info, is a fun read and isn't too dense. Any good rec's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 12-08-2009, 02:22 PM

Yes! I believe it's called "Becoming a Father" by Dr. Sears.

Proud Mama to Liam Greenleaf 5/31/10
#3 of 19 Old 12-08-2009, 02:26 PM

Family Man by Calvin Trillin. Not a "helpful hints" book, but a very entertaining read with a whole lot of wisdom.
#4 of 19 Old 12-08-2009, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Great, thanks! I have 3 of Sears' other books and really like his writing style...
#5 of 19 Old 12-08-2009, 03:01 PM

My husband is into computers and absolutely loves this book

http://www.thinkgeek.com/books/nonfiction/b5e5/

It uses computer/tech language in baby form. For example, instead of saying "sick baby" it says "malfunctioning model"

ribbonrainbow.gifMarried to my photosmile2.gif / geek.gif husband, trying to keep up with mybabyf.gif born 1/2010, and we have one dog2.gif
#6 of 19 Old 12-08-2009, 03:14 PM

I like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Cavemans-Guide...m_cr_pr_sims_t

I haven't read the whole thing and can't say for sure that it's as "safe" as the Sears guide ideology-wise, but it is a good deal more entertaining. And I didn't see anything really horrible when I flipped through.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#7 of 19 Old 12-08-2009, 04:00 PM

I bought this for DH the Christmas before DS was born: http://www.amazon.com/Be-Prepared-Pr...0298870&sr=8-2

He found it to be really helpful and still it to this day.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#8 of 19 Old 12-08-2009, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

This will be fun to read through all of these... thanks ladies!
#9 of 19 Old 12-08-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymama77 View Post
I bought this for DH the Christmas before DS was born: http://www.amazon.com/Be-Prepared-Pr...0298870&sr=8-2

He found it to be really helpful and still it to this day.
I love this one! The tone is just right. It even helped to lift my slight PPD. And FWIW, it's pretty AP, even though it's humorous.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#10 of 19 Old 12-08-2009, 05:39 PM

My husband enjoyed the "Caveman" one but did note that it doesn't really have a LOT of info, but is easy to read. I browsed it and found only a few things that I questioned.
"Dad's Pregnant, too" looks good, I bought him that one, but neither of us has spent much time with it. It looks like it has a lot more information than the caveman one but still pretty light reading.
#11 of 19 Old 12-08-2009, 05:52 PM

DON'T get "She's Having a Baby and I'm Having a Breakdown." Among other things, it tells dads to "put their foot down" if their wives want homebirths, and insist on the safety of the hospital

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#12 of 19 Old 12-08-2009, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikirj View Post
DON'T get "She's Having a Baby and I'm Having a Breakdown." Among other things, it tells dads to "put their foot down" if their wives want homebirths, and insist on the safety of the hospital
Ew
#13 of 19 Old 12-08-2009, 06:22 PM

We got the Baby Owner's Manual. Very funny and I get it as a gift for father's at baby showers still. It's very funny but gives some really useful information about various soothing techniques, interacting & games with new baby, sleeping options, bathing, massage, etc.

We had another one that's like a boyscout manual too, that was bigger and funny, but not as straightforward with the info. Here it is: http://www.amazon.com/Be-Prepared-Pr...ef=pd_sim_b_10

The first one is literally written like an owner's manual, so very easy to read & reference.
#14 of 19 Old 12-08-2009, 06:30 PM

Be Prepared was my husband's favorite. I really enjoyed it too.

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#15 of 19 Old 12-08-2009, 08:39 PM

My husband has the book Mack Daddy. It's an easy read, with some solid info on becoming a dad.

Me, married to DH, my childhood sweetheart. Lucky mom to an amazing DD (10/15/10), , a funny little DS (1/11/13) , and 3 silly dogs. Expecting someone new February 14, 2015!
#16 of 19 Old 12-08-2009, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikirj View Post
Actually, my husband really liked that book and it really helped. I just read the section and it says that if you have CONCERNS then it's within your bounds to speak up about them. I think that's appropriate. A child is made by a mother and father and both have a say in that child's safety and both have a place to express their views. Having those conversations can help educate fathers who don't know really what they're talking about, or can at the very least open a dialogue.

I wouldn't say it's the ONLY book to get, but it really helped with my husband who just didn't "get it." It's by no means complete though. I bought him also the fathers book from pregnancy week by week and while that was more complete, they seemed to have a lot to say about my weight and how he should be helping me not get to fat. Personally, I think THAT is a little gross.

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
Testing early and often since February 2014.
#17 of 19 Old 12-09-2009, 12:02 AM

we really liked this series of Expectant Father books
http://www.amazon.com/Father-Knows-B...9&sr=8-3-spell

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#18 of 19 Old 12-09-2009, 02:21 AM

My husband says he really enjoyed reading Be Prepared but his favorite has been "The Birth Partner" as far as thoroughness and lack of fluff. He describes it as a really well written FAQ (he's a tech geek). He found "Fathers at Birth" to be too new agey for his pretty new agey self and was downright offended by the comedy one, "Pacify Me".
#19 of 19 Old 12-09-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleRain View Post
Actually, my husband really liked that book and it really helped. I just read the section and it says that if you have CONCERNS then it's within your bounds to speak up about them. I think that's appropriate. A child is made by a mother and father and both have a say in that child's safety and both have a place to express their views. Having those conversations can help educate fathers who don't know really what they're talking about, or can at the very least open a dialogue.

I wouldn't say it's the ONLY book to get, but it really helped with my husband who just didn't "get it." It's by no means complete though. I bought him also the fathers book from pregnancy week by week and while that was more complete, they seemed to have a lot to say about my weight and how he should be helping me not get to fat. Personally, I think THAT is a little gross.
I got that book for DH too... as the companion to my Week by Week book. He didn't really enjoy it either, saying it was pretty much all common sense stuff. Another vote for "Birth Partner" here.....he's finding this one much more useful and enjoyable these days:

http://www.amazon.com/Birth-Partner-...0357601&sr=8-3

Jen knit.gif crafty mama LLLactivist to DS1 (2010)bouncy.gif and DS2 (2012)blahblah.giffamilybed2.gif nursex2.gifribbonjigsaw.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page