What music were your babies born to? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-02-2001, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bet there are some great suggestions to come

Lilyana Rain was born on January 23, 2000 at 10:41am to Grateful Dead's Box of Rain.

Although I listened to lots of music during the birth from Bob Marley, to angelic new age music, to the beatles, and I listened to the best of James Taylor twice even!
Anyway I thought this would be fun!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2001, 11:48 AM

Sophie was born to Bach's Cello Suites done by
Yo Yo Ma. She was so serene and so wide-eyed. It was magical. I labored to Enya, some African tribal music and Mozart. Just pieces of each. I would tired of something after a bit and want a change. Labor was QUICK with Sophie. From beginning to end took only four hours and fifty minutes, two hours of which were at home.
Old 12-02-2001, 08:09 PM

Both my children were born to the music of Enya. I wanted to play the song We Are by Sweet Honey in the Rock afterwards but never got organized enough to do so.
Old 12-02-2001, 08:34 PM

Bob Marley was ever present at our birth - So, we named our son Tucker marley!! We also listened to cat stevens a lot! hmm.. makes me think about doing it again sometime
Old 12-03-2001, 03:54 AM

During the birth of my 3rd child two years ago, the only thing I wanted to listen to was The Blue Nile...Walk Across the Rooftops. Over and over and over and over and over again.

queen bee
Old 12-03-2001, 12:49 PM

Fun topic!
DD was born to Bob Marley, such a nice peaceful vibe in the room.
Old 12-03-2001, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Madeline was born to Indigo Girls "Swamp Ophelia". Ophelia is her middle name. Lilika was born to Sarah Mclaughlin's (sp?) CD "Surfacing" and during the labor we also listed to Micheal Hedges CD "Taproot". When Madeline borrows my CD's she knows to be very careful with the "pushing babies out music". She is 5.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 12-04-2001, 06:24 PM

My daughter was born to Neil Young's Harvest Moon.
I have to admit I wasn't that tuned-in to what was playing but my midwife happened to mention that she was really grooving the the choice of music. I am always grateful that she was able to bring this bit of nostalgia to my attention!
Old 12-11-2001, 11:09 PM

It seems I've spent a lot of time making the "perfect" birth tapes, but when the time actually has come for some reason I don't really get into the music, which is strange because I live for music! Nevertheless when ds was born it was Leo Kottke and Kate Wolf. When dd was born I forgot to bring the tape to the hospital, but it would have been a mix of Barenberg, Douglas & Meyer (Skip Hop & Wobble), Matt Flinner (mandolinist extraordinaire), Strength in Numbers (anyone been to Telluride Bluegrass Festival?) Bela Fleck, and a few other acoustic "newgrass" types. When ds #2 was born 2 weeks ago my entire transition labor was spent in the car going 100+ mph (made it just in time) but I remember grooving to Greg Brown's "Covenant" cd.
Old 12-13-2001, 09:07 PM

we listened to a variety of things durring labor with ds. The most memorable was burning spear, living dub. The doctor was enjoying it so much, I gave him a copy at the pp visit. Regae is great music for labor and ds still really likes it. BTW, dd took her first steps at a burning spear outdoor show!
Old 12-14-2001, 09:34 PM

I have always had it in my mind that Peter's Gabriel's Passion would make great labor music, because it's so earth and ethereal at the same time, but never felt like it while actually in labor. During my second labor I listened to Lenny Kravitz because it made me feel like moving, swaying my hips around. Third labor I listened to Santana for the same reason.
Old 12-14-2001, 10:33 PM

I took several CD's w/ me and would tire of them after a few songs. Mostly Enya, John Tesh, but dd was born to James Ingram's Forever More. Things started to happen so quickly I don't even remember which song on the CD. She came so fast my midwife only had her gloves halfway on.
Old 12-14-2001, 10:44 PM

We played all kinds of music when Nicholas was born. He actually came to The Police "regatta de blanc album" (dh would remember which song -- he has a very auditory memory) Peter came so fast we never got any music turned on!
Old 12-16-2001, 08:15 PM

I wasn't aurally attuned when dd was born. I was very much in my own head. I had a whole mess of CD's ready to take to the birth center, none of which never left the bag: Bob Marley, Neil Young, Cocteau Twins...
In labor at home my sil put on Erykah Badu, and other things I can't remember, but I didn't feel one way or the other about it. Later dh put on some band called Galaxy 500 which drove me nuts and I politely asked to turn that s*** off. (It's trippy droning trance music from the 80's I think. To this day I can't stand it.)

We left for the birth center when I was probably in transition, and dd was born an hour after we arrived. Alas, at the moment dd was born there was just my primal, bear-like groans and grunts, and the midwife conducting me to open my throat and go "low".
Old 12-21-2001, 01:09 AM

Dd#2 (on my lap) was born to Enya too, also some nature stuff, especially thunder storms and rain which always makes me feel so connected to the outside.
Old 12-27-2001, 03:08 PM

Being a musician, I wanted a labor mix of instrumentals I could really lose myself in. As a bass player it was alot of John Patitucci, Michael Manring, Victor Wooten, etc., but also Sanjay Mishra with Jerry Garcia, John Mc Laughlin, Tuck Andress, Chick Corea, Pat Metheny with Jaco, etc. Very relaxing, but also inspiring...

After about 10 hours of this my SIL finally sent in a CD of waves crashing and a Sai Baba meditation disc of flute music. They were SO helpful. DH kept reminding me to ride the waves of each contraction - helped me visualize each one cresting... I think by the time it was time to push, the CD had shut off - all I remember was the sound of my own screams and two idiot nurses screaming 'PUUUSSSSHHHHHH!!!!' (baby was in distress - had his arm wrapped around his neck - so I was concentrating REALLY hard to get him out in a hurry!) Looking back I think I was screaming at the nurses to shut up - I know I kicked them both pretty hard at one point!!

Colleen, who will be homebirthing the next one
Old 12-30-2001, 11:21 AM

John Coltrane.

Amazingly sensual. I was so glad to have chosen that one. It's strange, because I'm not a huge jazz fan, but it just seemed so right.

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

Old 01-04-2002, 08:16 AM

During the labor of my fourth child we listened to various artists: Greg Brown, Kate Wolf, Kelly Joe Phelps, etc. We happened to put James Taylor on during the heavy duty phase. He really helped me get through it! I actually sang between contractions and pushing! She was born to Sweet Baby James which really warmed our hearts--although Steamroller might have been more appropriate during the pushing!

love, light, peace
Old 01-05-2002, 12:24 AM

I labored to Luna's Bewitched with my second.
Old 01-05-2002, 07:00 PM

My first I can not remember.

My second one I told hubby and every one else quite. I wanted NO noise. LOL

Third was enya, till she got on my last nerve and we put on a country station.
Old 01-07-2002, 06:22 PM

I remember listening to Peter Kater/R. Carlos Nakai's "Migration" during the long dark painful hours. While pushing I listened to Enya. My midwife loved it. Unfortunately the cd ended but we were too busy to hit "play".
Old 01-08-2002, 07:01 PM

INDIGO GIRLS, GRATEFUL &BOB TOO

SO GLAD SO MANY BABIES BORN W/ POSITIVE VIBRATION!!!

FOR BOTH, SILENCE AT BIRTH, TO HEAR THE MUSIC OF BECOMING

Old 01-15-2002, 02:30 PM

DD1 was born to...would you believe...Billy Joel. I'm showing my age, i'm afraid. At one point, DH put on Vivaldi's 'Four Seasons' and I yelled at him to put Billy Joel back on. Not sure why...I'd brought along all of his tapes that we had, and DH rotated them. I'd also brought some classical music, hence the Vivaldi...but when it came down to it, I wanted the old Billy Joel songs I grew up with.

With DD2 - I packed all the Billy Joel tapes, but we got to the hospital at 5:40, and DD2 was born at 5:50, so there was really only enough time for me to yell for someone to hand me the gas and air. :-)

Carolyn
Old 01-15-2002, 04:42 PM

Bob Marley Natty Dread, over and over for 9 hours. I love it. and baby loves it now too.

Momma to 3 darling boys, the apples of my eye, and married to the love of my life.

chicken3.gif        angel3.gif                                                   familybed2.gif                          dog2.gifdog2.gif

...namaste.gif
Old 01-15-2002, 08:09 PM

The way to the birth center(hour trip) we listened to Joni Mitchell 's Clouds. More specifically, the song Chelsea Morning. That song makes me feel so happy and sweet! During the actual birth I it was this whale sound cd. Or maybe that was just me!! I have to say my fave songs during pregnancy were "To Zion" by Lauren Hill, "Christmas Song" by Davey boy Matthews and "Beautiful Boy" by John Lennon. We thought we were having a GIRL, but my musical taste chould have clued me in!
Old 01-16-2002, 02:02 AM

dd, no music just dr. srinivasan saying push push push push in her indian accent

ds (my beautiful homebirth baby), labored and delivered to R. Carlos Nakai's flute music, and Mickey Hart's Music to be Born By. But I really loved the flute music, and when dh changed it to Mickey Hart i was pissed, but didn't have the energy to spend on telling him to change it back

Some great suggestions here for my next birth!!!

Sue

mother of invention, currently raising hell with four great kids, dd, 15, ds, 15, ds, 11 and ds, 8. also gestating a new wee one! due 9/29 whistling.gif

Old 01-17-2002, 03:17 AM

baby one, dd, cowboy junkies "caution horses"
baby two, ds, joni mitchell "both sides now"

don't remember hearing any of it!

User Tag List