Interpretation of this song, what does it mean? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-28-2010, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The song is "In the Year 2525" by Zager & Evans. I'm particularly interested in what the bolded lyrics mean. I must be dense or something. I've been listening to this a lot lately. I remember hearing it as a kids way back when, and it kinda freaked me out .

Quote:
In the year of 2525
If man is still alive
If woman can survive
They may find

In the year of 3535
Ain't going to need to tell the truth, can't tell no lie
Everything you think, do and say
Is in the pill you took today

In the year of 4545
Won't need no teeth, won't need your eyes
Won't find a thing to chew
Nobody's gonna look at you

In the year of 5555
Your arms hangin' limp at your side
Your legs have nothing to do
Some machine's doin' that for you

In the year of 6565
Won't need no husband, won't need no wife
You'll pick your son, pick your daughter too
From the bottom of a long glass tube

In the year of 7510
If G-d is commin' he should make it by then
Maybe He'll look around Himself and say:
"Now it's time for the Judgement day!"

In the year of 8510
G-d is gonna shake His mighty head
He'll either say "I'm pleased where man has been"
Or tear it down and start again

In the year of 9595
I'm kinda wondering if man is gonna be alive
He's taken everything this old Earth can give
And he ain't put back nothing

Now it's been 10,000 years man has cried a billion tears
For what, he never knew, now man's reign is through
But through eternal night the twinklin' of starlight
So very far away, maybe it's only yesterday

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2010, 08:11 PM

I've never heard this song before but it seems to be outlining the decline of humankind. "won't find a thing to chew" there is no more natural food left? Plants, animals, etc. I'm not sure why anybody wouldn't look at you, perhaps there's not many people left?
Interesting.

SAHM to one moody son J hat.gif(06-27-03), one super-girly daughter M hearts.gif (02-23-06) and welcome Sophie! energy.gif(05-23-10) expecting fourth in July baby.gif

Old 01-31-2010, 08:18 PM

You wont need your eyes or teeth because their will be new ways to communicate and new ways to consume. Like the next line says you wont need your arms and legs because machines will do everything and the previous line says you wont have to think because you will be able to take a pill.

with love, bailey...
macey 5.18.08
Old 02-01-2010, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba'sMama View Post
I've never heard this song before but it seems to be outlining the decline of humankind. "won't find a thing to chew" there is no more natural food left? Plants, animals, etc. I'm not sure why anybody wouldn't look at you, perhaps there's not many people left?
Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyann3 View Post
You wont need your eyes or teeth because their will be new ways to communicate and new ways to consume. Like the next line says you wont need your arms and legs because machines will do everything and the previous line says you wont have to think because you will be able to take a pill.
Thanks, it's kinda what I thought he meant.

I'm thinking the last bolded part might mean that this might've happened somewhere else, and now it's happening to us??

Old 07-26-2014, 10:19 AM

my thoughts

"Won't find a thing to chew" - possibly a prediction of a shift to artificial nutrition. Rather than growing all the crops and raising all the animals for however many billion people, manufacture raw chemical sustenance. Diet drinks and nutritional supplements run amok.

"Nobody's gonna look at you" - in an increasingly technological society, face-to-face contact becomes obsolete. Our interactions are increasingly impersonal. Look at how much time people actually spend together, versus phone, instant message and facebook posts.

"man has cried a billion tears. For what, he never knew, now man's reign is through". Because humanity is unwilling or unable to recognize that much of the misery and suffering we have endured over the course of history is self-inflicted, we as a species lament our plight without properly understanding it. Especially in light of wars started over sketchy or false intelligence, or decades of fighting over control over land and resources. And now, the age of man "ruling" the planet (in the sense of treating it as nothing more than a tool to be exploited) is over, because he has brought about his own downfall, with or without divine intervention.

"But through eternal night the twinklin' of starlight So very far away" - I'm stretching a little here. Eternal night might be a reference to death. Or, combined with the starlight so very far away, it might be a way of emphasizing how small and insignificant we are on a cosmic scale.

"maybe it's only yesterday" - Again stretching. Perhaps the song is meant to be recounting a dream (or nightmare), and the singer's consciousness is readjusting to reality, and he's thinking that if it's only yesterday there is still a chance to prevent the vision from becoming a reality.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Gosh, I haven't heard that song since I was a kid. I used to love hearing it on the radio.
Old Today, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Here are some visuals. I heard this song in college so long ago.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."

User Tag List