February 2010 Book Challenege - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 132 Old 02-27-2010, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
I remember reading this in the third or fourth grade ... but all I remember about it is that (1) it made me want an egg cream more than anything else is the world and (2) I had no idea what an egg cream was.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#122 of 132 Old 02-27-2010, 06:09 PM

Never tell a Lie, Ephron

Quote:
Ivy and David Rose, happily married high school sweethearts, are trying to clear out the junk the previous owner left in their glorious Victorian in Brush Hills, Mass., before the birth of their first child. Among the bargain hunters is Melinda White, a high school classmate who's also pregnant. Considered an oddball in school, Melinda worries about more bad luck after nearly knocking over a large mirror. When Melinda disappears and no one can remember seeing her leave the sale, the evidence suggests the couple murdered her. Ephron doesn't miss a searing beat as she plunges the Roses into an abyss of suspicion.
Fairly formulaic, but fast-moving.
#123 of 132 Old 02-28-2010, 11:51 AM

#49 Raiders' Ransom by Emily Diamand
I didn't love this one -- not sure why -- I think it was hard for me to get a total grip on the way things worked in 23rd century mostly underwater England. Piratey.

#50 Crossing Stones by Helen Frost
Lovely --written in "structured verse" with three different narrators/points of view. Set largely in Michigan during WWI. also involves women's suffrage stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
I remember reading this in the third or fourth grade ... but all I remember about it is that (1) it made me want an egg cream more than anything else is the world and (2) I had no idea what an egg cream was.
Oh yes. Also it made me proud of the fact that I liked tomato sandwiches well before I read the book..... either that, or I'm re-writing history and my love of them came after...hmmmm..... but no mayo, i'm not a picky eater in general but can't stand mayo.
#124 of 132 Old 02-28-2010, 12:33 PM

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly

This is a book I ordered for my library based on some great reviews. When I saw it at the public library I thought I'd read it so I could talk it up when it came in. The book started out promising. The character of Calpurinia or Callie Vee as she is called throughout the book has a great 'voice.' She is not afraid to question why there are different rules for her than for her six brothers. She is drawn to bugs and animals and wants to know why they are the way they are. But then the book goes nowhere, or rather it goes everywhere without any real purpose and without much of anything actually happening. She and her grandfather start talking about Darwin and evoluation, but the subject is dropped. Grandfather names so many important people in history but readers don't really learn anything about them. This book could have been so much more sdif knowledge about Darwin and Curie and Bell and others were really worked into the story to inspire and educate kids--but as part of the story, not as lectures from Grandfather. I'm really not sure what kids--if they can actually stick with this long-winded book--would come away with.

The writing seems like it needed more polishing as well. Though there were moments when I was pulled into the book, there was such a big part of the book where Callie was telling us about what she had done rather than letting us experience with her in the moment. Also, there's quite a bit of political incorrectness which I know is part of that time in history but I feel it could have been handled better. All in all, I can't see the kids at my school getting in to this book. I wish I had read it before I ordered it.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#125 of 132 Old 02-28-2010, 12:47 PM

Nana Cracks The Case by Kathleen Lane

This was a mildly amusing story of a untyplical granny trying to catch candy thieves.

Zapato Power by Jacqueline Jules

Cute, very easy chapter book about a boy with magic sneakers that make him run really fast.

#126 of 132 Old 02-28-2010, 10:27 PM

11. Last Night at the Lobster by Stewart O'nan

A manager and his motley crew of workers have their last night working at the Red Lobster before it is closed down for good. A short book that was slow and quiet and interesting.

12. Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

A graphic novel about a girl growing up in Iran and how she lived through all the cultural upheaval and oppression during the Revolution.

13. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

Reading through the series right now
#127 of 132 Old 02-28-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post
Zapato Power by Jacqueline Jules

Cute, very easy chapter book about a boy with magic sneakers that make him run really fast.
how tired am i? i read the title as Zapatista Power. and i'm thinking hmmm...."cute, easy chapter book"....unlikely.

finished From the Hilltop, a collection of short stories by Toni Jensen. it is due out in March (reviewed for the feminist review blog). I can't recommend it enough. if you are a short story lover, read it. request your library get it. i loved these stories. (caveat, just in case: one story is about a woman who has had a miscarriage)

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#128 of 132 Old 03-01-2010, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbond View Post
I just wanted to share with you all:

I'M DONE WITH THE BAR EXAM!

This means that I'll now be able to get back to reading some books and posting my thoughts about them with y'all. YAY!
Congrats!! I know how excited I was when I was done with it.

No more study groups. No more cramming. No more remembering all sorts of rules that I wouldn't need to know for my chosen field.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#129 of 132 Old 03-01-2010, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kofduke View Post
Protecting the Gift, DeBecker

IMHO, a very important read for all parents.
Definitely a book all parents should read.

#7 Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain
I loved this book. It's witty, honest, raw, and so funny. He doesn't pull any punches. He says what he thinks without sugar coating it. He gives an insider's perspective on the restaurant industry; its highs and lows and what it's like to be a chef. I really enjoyed this book a lot. My DH who doesn't read much outside of computer manuals and comic books loved it as well. If you've ever seen Anthony Bourdain on the Food Network or now on the Travel Channel's No Reservation show, you should read this book. The book is written as if he is having a conversation with you at an outdoor cafe. It's a quick easy read and it made me think about my food choices when I dine out.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#130 of 132 Old 03-01-2010, 01:32 AM

This Year Your Write Your Novel by Walter Mosley

I got this book for xmas and finally got around to reading it. Now how many months before I get back to finishing my book . . . .

Anyway, this was a good reminder. Not much different than other books on writing but a good refresher.

The Carnivorous Carnival by Lemony Snickett

Decided it's time to finish up that series. They had started seeming pretty repetitious so I took a break but I enjoyed this one.

#131 of 132 Old 03-01-2010, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

#4 Benito Cereno
by Herman Melville

My review can be found HERE

#5 Doctor Who: The Rising Night, An Exclusive Audio Adventure (Audio)
by Scott Handcock
read by Michelle Ryan

#6 UR (Audio)
by Stephen King
read by Holter Graham

#1 Tales from Outer Suburbia, #2 The Men Who Stare at Goats, #3 Under the Dome (Audio), #4 Benito Cereno, #5 Doctor Who: The Rising Night, An Exclusive Audio Adventure (Audio), #6 UR (Audio)

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#132 of 132 Old 03-01-2010, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

March's Thread is HERE

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page