February 2010 Book Challenege - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 132 Old 02-02-2010, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
February already? Where does the year go to?

Now, repeat after me...

So, just by way of clarification (for comers both new and old), new and improved guidelines for the Book Challenge Thread are as follows:

1) Post the books you read ... or not
2) Post a recommendation ... or not
3) Number your book ... or not
4) Make a goal ... or not
5) Have fun with books (This one, unfortunately, is MANDATORY)

So, with that, avante, allons-y and a happy reading February to everyone!

2009's Thread can be found HERE
January's Thread can be found HERE

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#2 of 132 Old 02-02-2010, 03:19 PM

I know! I can't believe it's February already!!! I have a bunch of books to post, but am swamped at work, so will have to come back in a couple days.

Happy reading everyone.
#3 of 132 Old 02-02-2010, 05:20 PM

subbing. and another invitation to join me for the African diaspora reading challenge.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#4 of 132 Old 02-02-2010, 05:42 PM

well, pooh! i have been so inconsistent in subbing/posting to these threads the last couple years and i told myself i would be on EVERY month this year...but here it is february and i missed january. at least i kept track:

what i've started or will read this month:
6. Telling Histories: Black Women Historians in the Ivory Tower (Deborah Gray White)
7. This I Believe: The Personal Philosophies of Remarkable Men and Women (Jay Allison & Dan Gediman)
8. Marcelo in the Real World (Francisco X. Stork)
9. Gifted (Nikita Lalwani)
10. Keeping You a Secret (Julie Anne Peters)

and what i read last month-
JANUARY
1. The Help (Kathryn Stockett)
2. Because I Am Furniture (Thalia Chaltas)
3. The Chocolate War (Robert Cormier)
4. It’s All About the Shoes: Hope, Heartbreak, and the Search for the Perfect Pair (Yvonne L. Williams)
5. The Great Gatsby (F. Scott Fitzgerald)

i think i'll make a goal of 50 books for 2010.

semi-crunchy mama to 1 unschooly, sometimes unruly, but mostly sweet and cool DS (17)
student reiki practitioner and aspiring /
#5 of 132 Old 02-02-2010, 08:26 PM

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Quote:
Every year in Panem, the dystopic nation that exists where the U.S. used to be, the Capitol holds a televised tournament in which two teen "tributes" from each of the surrounding districts fight a gruesome battle to the death. In The Hunger Games, Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark, the tributes from impoverished District Twelve, thwarted the Gamemakers, forcing them to let both teens survive. In this rabidly anticipated sequel, Katniss, again the narrator, returns home to find herself more the center of attention than ever. The sinister President Snow surprises her with a visit, and Katniss’s fear when Snow meets with her alone is both palpable and justified. Catching Fire is divided into three parts: Katniss and Peeta’s mandatory Victory Tour through the districts, preparations for the 75th Annual Hunger Games, and a truncated version of the Games themselves.
An excellent sequel to the first book. While it did not have the same amount of suspense, I still found myself caught up in the story. I look forward to the next in the series coming out this summer.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
#6 of 132 Old 02-03-2010, 12:02 AM

#10 The Temptation of the Night Jasmine (Pink Carnation #5) by Lauren Willig

This was okay. This whole series is a guilty pleasure and exercise in schadenfreude for me. When the first book came out (Secret History of the Pink Carnation), I read it and then I read the author bio, and I felt seriously inadequate. Ms. Willig, at the time, was my age, pursuing her PhD in History AND her law degree at Yale AND AND AND had a book on the New York's best-seller list.

The books are chick-lit, pseudo historical romance. The whole conceit is that there is this grad student who is researching 18th and early 19th century English spies. She goes to England, discovers new secret letters, and the novel is her story of finding the letters interspersed with the romantic tale of the Pink Carnation in the first book, and the Pink Carnation's friends and compatriots in subsequent books.

Wife 6/2005, Mommy 9/2008 to DD and 1/2011 to DS:
sci-fi loving, theater loving, lawyer mama.
#7 of 132 Old 02-03-2010, 12:29 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I just finished Noah's Compass by Anne Tyler. I love her writing style, but she is the queen of anti-climactic endings!

And there are a couple of annoying typos. For example, on the "About the Author" page, it says that this is her 17th book, but the back cover states it's her 18th book. Take your pick, I guess.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#8 of 132 Old 02-03-2010, 02:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Aspire by Kevin Hall

I choose this book to review becaue from the subtitle "discovering your purpose through the power of words," I had the impression that this book would be on writing and using words effectively. Well--it wasn't. It was a self-help book with each chapter centered aroudn a word that can change your life. I did get some inspiration from it.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#9 of 132 Old 02-03-2010, 04:17 AM

I have read nothing in the last 2 weeks but I do have a new nephew and we got a real snow for the first time in 7 years!!! So I've been busy cuddling and racing down hills on the sled.

DS has asked me to read Harry Potter (I know, I'm probably the only person on earth who has yet to read them) so, I am starting book 1 tomorrow. I hope to get through the first 2 this month, and maybe a classic and a non-fiction.
#10 of 132 Old 02-03-2010, 03:55 PM

Subbing....

#3 Sole Sisters ~ Jennifer Lin & Susan Warner
A bunch of short stories about women and running. Very inspiring.
#11 of 132 Old 02-03-2010, 08:28 PM

Let's see, I've got a lot to post..some from January that I'm sneaking in here...

#21 When the Whistle Blows by Fran Cannon Slayton
Set in West Virginia mid 1940's -- 7 Halloweens in a row, one for each chapter, in the life of Jimmy Cannon whose father and brothers both work for the railroad. pretty short. I think I'm not the exact target audience (I tend to skim long football scenes but I was involved enough to cry a little.

#22 Hold Still by Nina LaCour
YA. Girl's best friend commits suicide, girl finds friend's journal under her bed. I liked this book and enjoyed the characters. Lots about photography in here, too. Another one I cried at the end of. (I'm just enough of a grammar snob to notice and be slightly bothered when I end a sentence with a preposition and just lazy enough (and/or have limited internet time) to just leave it.)

#23 The Man in the Picture: A Ghost Story by Susan Hill
fun. short. by the author of a series I've been reading. involves a painting that changes not quite a la Dorian Grey, but interesting.

#24 The Year the Swallows Came Early by Kathryn Fitzmaurice
I read this one and am now reading it with my 5 yo. From Amazon:
Quote:
Watching helplessly as her father is taken off to jail, Groovy Robinson, 11, is convinced that there has been a terrible mistake. When her mom admits that she turned him in because he gambled away the $25,000 savings account that Groovy's great-grandmother left her, the child shrinks into herself-disappointed, hurt, not caring about anything. Not until Groovy-now wanting to be known as Eleanor-heeds the advice of the homeless old sailor Mr. Tom does she grasp that people we love can hurt us, but that only through forgiveness can we become whole again. This first novel is peopled with three-dimensional characters whose imperfections make them believable and interesting. Groovy's big-talking, ne'er-do-well dad donates a trailer to Mr. Tom. Her beautician mom is guided by astrology, but her boundless love for Eleanor is totally grounded. And Groovy's perceptive friend Frankie is unable to grasp the real reasons that his immigrant mother left him in his stepbrother's care. The well-structured plot is underscored by clear writing and authentic dialogue, and short chapters keep the story moving. The book draws a parallel with the birds of Capistrano, and a novel that encourages understanding, tolerance, and forgiveness is as welcome as the returning swallows.
#25 Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin
Good stuff. Told from the point of view of a 12 yo boy with autism. lots about his relations with peers, younger brother, parents. I felt that the author was pretty perceptive, but I'm not sure how those with more knowledge of/experience with autism would feel.
#12 of 132 Old 02-04-2010, 03:23 AM

subbing - need to post two, will tomorrow... sick kid
#13 of 132 Old 02-04-2010, 12:36 PM

Me, me, me!

I'm just joining in. Here are the non-work books I plan to read for February. I will post the work ones later, but I'm still researching some of them.

1. Protecting the Gift (I know, I know. I just haven't gotten to it.)
2. Parenting Beyond Belief
3. Raising Freethinkers
4. Heat Wave by Richard Castle (guilty pleasure)
5. To Hell With All That by Caitlin Flanagan
6. Everything Your Kindergartener Needs to Know
7. Mommy & Daddy's Guide to Kindergarten

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#14 of 132 Old 02-04-2010, 02:08 PM

#3 The Christmas List by Richard Paul Evans
- simple read, about a guy who has an ah-ha moment and tries to change his ways,
it was OK, easy to read, but nothing earth shattering

#4 Not My Daughter by Barbara Delinsky
- fast read, similar to a Jodi Picoult book, about teen pregnancy, and i did like the discussion about parenting, can you control what your teens do, if they make less than stellar decisions is it your "fault", etc.

on to a local author, will post when i finish
#15 of 132 Old 02-04-2010, 06:31 PM

#11 - The Four-Story Mistake by Elizabeth Enright

I'm enjoying reading books recommended by my kiddo! This is a sequel to The Saturdays, in which the 4 Melendy siblings move to the country. They explore the countryside, one learns to ride a bike, they fix up the playroom and discover a hidden room, they put on a show, etc. Good clean fun, and very cozy.
#16 of 132 Old 02-04-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konamama View Post
subbing - need to post two, will tomorrow... sick kid
i hope your kiddo feels better soon.

#17 of 132 Old 02-05-2010, 02:22 AM

#26 Hardball by Sara Paretsky
I appreciate when the main character in a detective novel is aware of (and dismayed by) the School of the Americas -- you don't always get those kind of politics in a detective novel, if you know what I mean. The V.I. Warshawski series is set in Chicago, female protagonist.
#18 of 132 Old 02-05-2010, 11:25 AM

I Feel Bad About My Neck by Nora Ephron

After reading Heartburn a while ago and loving it, I thought I'd try this book of essays by Ephron. It was okay . . . some were very funny, some so-so. I definitely love her outlook on things.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#19 of 132 Old 02-05-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamama View Post
and what i read last month-
JANUARY
1. The Help (Kathryn Stockett)
2. Because I Am Furniture (Thalia Chaltas)
3. The Chocolate War (Robert Cormier)
4. It’s All About the Shoes: Hope, Heartbreak, and the Search for the Perfect Pair (Yvonne L. Williams)
5. The Great Gatsby (F. Scott Fitzgerald)
panamama, was Because I am furniture agonizing to read? or was it empowering for the protagonist? i had noticed the book but thought, no, i can't go there.

#20 of 132 Old 02-05-2010, 02:35 PM

"Stupid and Contagious" by Caprice Crane

Quote:
The story is told in alternating chapters by 29-year-old indie record producer Brady, who could have stepped right out of a Nick Hornby novel, and 26-year-old PR maven turned surly waitress Heaven, a veritable modern-day Lucille Ball. The two meet when they become neighbors, and Heaven keeps receiving Brady's mail, which she promptly opens and reads. But irritation soon turns into attraction as the two eventually take a wacky road trip to Seattle, where Brady waxes enthusiastic about signing a young band and attempts to land a meeting with the founder of Starbucks about his idea for a new drink.

At first, I found Heather to be annoyingly daft and Brady to be self-absorbed - which usually means I will disinterested in the fate of the characters by chapter five (like "Family Affair" also written by Crane). But I have to admit she created them in a way that you grow to like them in spite on their flaws. I found myself thinking I'd like to meet them for drinks one night. The humor was perfect throughout the book - touching the boundary of silliness that can turn a good book into a bad piece of fluff but never going past it.

(1-04) (8-09)
#21 of 132 Old 02-06-2010, 09:28 PM

#27 A Cold Treachery by Charles Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post
I Feel Bad About My Neck by Nora Ephron

After reading Heartburn a while ago and loving it, I thought I'd try this book of essays by Ephron. It was okay . . . some were very funny, some so-so. I definitely love her outlook on things.
Should I be worried that this means we have lost our book-liking affinity, Cathe? I remember picking this one up and feeling really turned off by it....
#22 of 132 Old 02-06-2010, 09:39 PM

I don't think so. I wasn't thrilled by it.

#23 of 132 Old 02-06-2010, 11:01 PM

#7 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling

I must admit that this was a much better book than I expected.
#24 of 132 Old 02-07-2010, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workjw View Post
#7 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling

I must admit that this was a much better book than I expected.
I'm going to start re-reading the Harry Potter series as soon as I finish the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I love HP! :]

#1-The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien-3/5
I had trouble "getting into" this book, but I think that was probably because it's been about 8 months since I've read a novel and my attention span is significantly shorter. Tolkien's way of writing is different than most I've read and takes some getting used to. I love the ballads! The story was a good one. Thorin & Company had some interesting adventures and met some interesting characters. I thought the ending was anti-climactic. I'm hoping for more out of the trilogy.

Jessie
#25 of 132 Old 02-08-2010, 08:59 PM

#4)Roma by Steven Saylor
Wow! What an epic. It follows two families from the ancient days before the founding of Rome to the centuries later. It's an amazing work that weaves politics, romance, sex, intrigue, war, and drama. It's not a dry dusty boring work that's a chore to read. Wonderful details and each period comes alive. I really got into this story so much so that I'm going to look for more of his books.

#5) Time of My Life by Allison W. Scotch
An upper middle class stay at home mom is transported back in time to her life before she got married and had a child. She has all her memories of what happened in the future. Will she choose to make the same choices? Will she choose to marry the solid but predictable man she did or will she marry her free spirited boyfriend that she had? The choices she makes are very interesting. It's not a light fluffy read. It really makes you think about what you would do if given the same chance to do over certain periods of your life. There are days in my current life where I wish I could go back in time and do over some of the things I've done, but after reading this book, I've come away with a new appreciation for my life as it is. It's not often that a book makes me think really deeply about my own life and this book did. I was wondering how the author would tie up the ending. It's not every day that someone gets transported back in time and just how do you end a story with such a wild premise. The author did it though. I totally think this book should be made into a movie. It's written in such a way that it could be easily made into a screenplay for a film.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#26 of 132 Old 02-08-2010, 10:51 PM

#28 Thursday Next: First Among Sequels by Jasper Fforde
This was a re-read for me. It's the only one in the series that we don't own, and when someone here read it recently I decided to get it back out. I do love his humor, though I know it's not for everyone.

#29 Raven Black by Ann Cleeves
mystery/thriller set in the Shetland Islands. It was okay... I believe it is the first in a series of four, I'll probably read the next one.

#30 When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
set in 1970's NYC, 12 yo Miranda's single mother is practicing to be on the $20,000 Pyramid. Meanwhile, Miranda's friendship with her neighbor seems to be faltering and she doesn't know why and she is receiving notes from a stranger.

#31 The Rock and the River by Kekla Magoon
1968, Chicago. 13 y.o. main character's older brother is a Black Panther and his father is a proponent of nonviolent social change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post
I don't think so. I wasn't thrilled by it.
I told DH that you liked her and he asked if this was the first serious breach in our friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookGoddess View Post
#4)Roma by Steven Saylor
Wow! What an epic. It follows two families from the ancient days before the founding of Rome to the centuries later. It's an amazing work that weaves politics, romance, sex, intrigue, war, and drama. It's not a dry dusty boring work that's a chore to read. Wonderful details and each period comes alive. I really got into this story so much so that I'm going to look for more of his books.

#5) Time of My Life by Allison W. Scotch
An upper middle class stay at home mom is transported back in time to her life before she got married and had a child. She has all her memories of what happened in the future. Will she choose to make the same choices? Will she choose to marry the solid but predictable man she did or will she marry her free spirited boyfriend that she had? The choices she makes are very interesting. It's not a light fluffy read. It really makes you think about what you would do if given the same chance to do over certain periods of your life. There are days in my current life where I wish I could go back in time and do over some of the things I've done, but after reading this book, I've come away with a new appreciation for my life as it is. It's not often that a book makes me think really deeply about my own life and this book did. I was wondering how the author would tie up the ending. It's not every day that someone gets transported back in time and just how do you end a story with such a wild premise. The author did it though. I totally think this book should be made into a movie. It's written in such a way that it could be easily made into a screenplay for a film.
Cool, I put Roma on hold. and I put Time of My Life on hold even though I can't remember if I read it already or not. : I even went to Amazon to see if I'd rated it, and I haven't.... But it seems awfully familiar.... But I love stuff like that -- the what if kinds of things--so I'll check it out and see. :
#27 of 132 Old 02-08-2010, 11:18 PM

i liked The View from Garden City so much, i thought i'd spend some more time in Egypt. i have started Palace Walk, the first book in The Cairo Trilogy by Naguib Mahfouz. i have picked up this book several times over the last few years, curious about it. the book starts around WWI and deals in part with themes around colonialism. but mostly it is building up my interest in the mother/wife protagonist of the story.

#28 of 132 Old 02-09-2010, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufomander View Post

I told DH that you liked her and he asked if this was the first serious breach in our friendship.
Buff-- I really liked Heartburn (read it for my foodie book club) and a couple of the women raved about the Feel Bad about my Neck One. I thought that one was so-so. She had a few funny lines and I liked the story about purses but other than that, I wouldn't recommend it. So . . . . are we still friends

#29 of 132 Old 02-09-2010, 10:43 AM

"The Last Days of Dogtown" by Anita Diamant

Quote:
Inspired by the settlement of Dogtown, MA, Diamant reimagines the community of castoffs—widows, prostitutes, orphans, African-Americans and ne'er-do-wells—all eking out a harsh living in the barren terrain of Cape Ann. Black Ruth, the African woman who dresses like a man and works as a stonemason; Mrs. Stanley, who runs the local brothel, and Judy Rhines, an unmarried white woman whose lover Cornelius is a freed slave, are among Dogtown's inhabitants who are considered suspect—even witches—by outsiders. Shifting perspectives among the various residents (including the settlement's dogs, who provide comfort to the lonely), Diamant brings the period alive with domestic details and movingly evokes the surprising bonds the outcasts form in their dying days. This chronicle of a dwindling community strikes a consistently melancholy tone—readers in search of happy endings won't find any here—but Diamant renders these forgotten lives with imagination and sensitivity.
This book was a bit of a roadblock in my reading progress. It is not the type of book that you can tear through -- either because of ease of writing or edge of your seat action. It is a slow-placed book with lots of characters but little action. None of the characters are ever completely revealed and you are left with lots of unanswered questions.

(1-04) (8-09)
#30 of 132 Old 02-09-2010, 11:41 AM

The Story of the Trapp Family Singers by Maria August Trapp

I loved reading this memoir by Maria Trapp. The Sound of Music is one of my favorite all time movies so it was fun seeing where it came from. Trapp was a lot more religious than the Maria in the movie, which I guess figures because she had wanted to be a nun. Her zest for life and determination was so inspiring. I loved reading about some of the Austrian traditions which were similar to my parents German traditions and hearing the history of them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page