kids books about gentle discipline/conflict resoultion (xposted in gentle discipline) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-01-2010, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking for books *for* kids about gentle discipline, conflict resolution, working stuff out without fighting etc. I'm thinking picture books, but older audience than "hands are not for hitting et al."

Suggestions?
#2 of 4 Old 03-02-2010, 03:12 PM

You may want to check out the La Leche League Book Bibliography. This is a list of books approved for La Leche League group libraries. www.llli.org/BEC/additChildrensBooks.html

Among the books in that list that look like what you are looking for is Elizabeth Crary's CHILDREN'S PROBLEM-SOLVING SERIES with the titles of:
I Want It; I Want to Play; Mommy, Don't Go; My Name Is not Dummy; and I'm Lost; I Can't Wait. Elizabeth Crary also has a series called DEALING WITH FEELINGS including the titles: I'm Mad; I'm Scared; I'm Proud; I'm Excited; I'm Frustrated; I'm Furious
#3 of 4 Old 03-03-2010, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I really like and use often with my very emotional ds:

Peaceful Piggy Meditation, Moody Cow Meditates & Anh's Anger.

I have also used in my 1st grade class and my colleagues have used them in their upper grade classrooms.

The Great, Great, Great Chicken War is also really good book... great conversation starter.
#4 of 4 Old 03-04-2010, 03:00 PM

They aren't designed to be didactic, but the Charlie and Lola series by Lauren Child is full of great examples of a younger/older sibling pair getting along and solving conflicts in creative ways without fighting. Plus, the books are charming and GORGEOUS to look at.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page