Alice in Wonderland is ALMOST here!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 03-03-2010, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
so who's going to see it on friday?

i have been waaiiiiiting for this movie but alas my pocket says we will have to wait.

but i am still so excited that its finally here.

this time i plan to make it to the IMAX to see it.

are you excited.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#2 of 26 Old 03-03-2010, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I'm not going on Friday, but I can't wait to see it.
#3 of 26 Old 03-03-2010, 04:53 PM

This weekend! 3-D! Can't wait!!!!!!!!

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#4 of 26 Old 03-03-2010, 07:33 PM

I'm going to a screening tomorrow!! I read some pretty good reviews about it - The Hollywood Reporter said it was "Truly, Madly, Wonderful" - so I can't wait to see it myself. Enjoy, everybody!!!
#5 of 26 Old 03-03-2010, 08:15 PM

I'm hoping for Sunday, but it all depends on whether or not we can get a sitter. I'm very excited!

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#6 of 26 Old 03-03-2010, 08:18 PM

I hold a grudge against Johnny Depp for the remake of Willy Wonka, one of my favorite movies ever. As Alice in Wonderland is pretty much in my top 3 movies of all time, I am a little scared of what he's going to do to this one.

I'm a big fan of his in a lot of movies but any movie he's in tends to circle around him and his facial expressions. Ruined Wonka for me (which I was waiting for for MONTHS to open, I had it written down in my calendar and everything lol).

Maybe my expectations are just too high?

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#7 of 26 Old 03-04-2010, 07:17 PM

I thought Depp's Wonka wasn't as good as Wilder's Wonka, but reasonable and that the whole movie was more true to the story.

So : for the same thing from Alice.

(Hmm, from the trailers she's an older teen? WTF? Alice makes no sense if she's not 8-12 years old.)
#8 of 26 Old 03-05-2010, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

sapphire and kaleanani,

this is NOT the original Alice in Wonderland. it is a 'sequel'. its about alice being older and going back to visit. so it is BASED on lewis carrol's book, but the story is different. so technically it is NOT a remake of alice in wonderland.

it isnt depp at all who interests me. heck he is hot, but not that much of an actor. i am looking forward to see what tim burton has done, harriet bonham carter red queen (she is a fantastic actress and i have followed her when she used to perform for the stage) AND i looooove pantomime. it was my most effective parenting tool and still is. so i am looking for colours and feast for my eyes. and hopefully some bizareness too. i can also see stephen fry making a great cheshire cat. he does great dry humor.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#9 of 26 Old 03-05-2010, 09:13 AM

The whole family's going to see it!

Hipkidz
#10 of 26 Old 03-05-2010, 10:10 AM

It was released here a couple of days ago - excellent stuff!
#11 of 26 Old 03-05-2010, 07:39 PM

meemee - if it's a feast for the eyes you're looking for, then you will definitely be happy! I feel like you hit the nail on the head with this one with your predictions/anticipation! I actually was able to go to a screening last night and the movie looked AMAZING. It was very Tim Burton - all weird but beautiful. And the 3D totally adds to the amazingness. Depp does play a "mad" hatter, but I preferred Helena Bonham Carter & Anne Hathaway as the queens - both kooky in their own right. But my absolute favorite was the Cheshire Cat - now that was one cool cat. I thought his character design was creepily awesome and Stephen Fry voiced him to perfection.

Tell me what you think! I didn't see it in IMAX so I'm betting that is going to be an even bigger treat.
#12 of 26 Old 03-06-2010, 09:43 AM

DH and I saw it last night and absolutely loved it!! It was wonderfully weird and funny and very beautiful. I would go see it again today if I could.
#13 of 26 Old 03-06-2010, 06:13 PM

LOVED IT!!!! DD (8) was scared in parts. I am glad we did not take the 3 yr old. I thought the end was just so cool. Really made me like Alice as a character. Andd wasn't the cat just too cool. Oh and the dogs were just so sweet.

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain
#14 of 26 Old 03-06-2010, 10:01 PM

I loved this movie! I only took my 9 yr old thinking it may be a little scary for my 7 yr old but I think I will take her on Tuesday.

I really liked Johnny Depp in this movie...
#15 of 26 Old 03-07-2010, 02:20 AM

I'm seeing it next weekend and I'm so excited!! It looks really good.
#16 of 26 Old 03-07-2010, 02:35 PM

Oh! The best ever! I"m a huge alice fan and it was great! The 3D was wonderful, and the story & plot were great too. I liked that it was a later story and not a remake as mentioned above.

Oh, and the fingerless gloves! I : fingerless gloves and they were all over the place in the movie. Pretty cool. And Johnny Depp as the madhatter was great. They changed his makeup everytime his mood changed, so it was really neat & helped the role.

I'm glad she didn't lose her "muchness!"
#17 of 26 Old 03-07-2010, 04:46 PM

Lovely and as wonderful as I'd dared hope for. In the beginning, my brain was busy sorting out who was real and who was CG and how CG was being used like I usually do. I realized, once it was over, that I'd stopped even noticing and had simply fallen into the story. Wonderful!
#18 of 26 Old 03-07-2010, 05:27 PM

I LOVED it! It was very Tim Burton in that it was creepy/dark, but it stayed true to the family adventure story of Alice. I saw it in the IMAX 3-D, and thought it was well worth it. I also loved the ending, it made me wish I was Alice

treehugger.gif NMY, uber-crunchy, college student, doula-in-training, health food store worker and future librarian read.gif

#19 of 26 Old 03-08-2010, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

ooooooooooh TY guys for giving your opinions.

i am DELIGHTED to hear that stephen fry and carter were that good. and that the dark bizarre was present too.

oh boy i cant wait to see it. and yes once i get my check i will watch it on the imax. if there is any movie to be seen on imax this must be one of them. yipppeeee!!!

#20 of 26 Old 03-08-2010, 02:55 AM

I'm be the dissenting opinion here. I was tremendously disappointed. I thought Mia Wasikowski was great, but everyone and everything else was lacking. I usually love Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter, but I felt like neither of them put much into their roles. Visually, it didn't come anywhere close to what it should have been. It didn't feel Wonderlandish to me at all. The script and storyline were poorly developed. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is my all-time favorite book. I also really love Through the Looking Glass. I've read them both more times than I can count. There is such beauty, such poetry in those books. Tim Burton just didn't seem to translate it onto the screen. I'm very bummed about it.

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#21 of 26 Old 03-08-2010, 04:38 PM

We took our 7yo, 6yo, and almost 4yo to see it at IMAX in 3D. It was good...I was expecting it to be better, but it was good!

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#22 of 26 Old 03-11-2010, 01:44 PM

I didn't love it. It was good, both kids liked it, and I'm glad we went, but it wasn't GREAT. I was disappointed.

The Cheshire Cat was the best part -- I like him in blue and grey, and I'm sort of hoping someone on ravelry will make a pattern for a Cheshire Cat sweater or something similar for next winter!

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#23 of 26 Old 03-13-2010, 05:14 AM

i fell asleep.
#24 of 26 Old 03-14-2010, 12:52 AM

I have never read or seen any Alice movies/books before. So I saw it with fresh eyes. I did not like it that much. We didn't see it in 3D though, maybe that would have helped. I did like Johnny and the red queen, but for the most part I was bored.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#25 of 26 Old 03-15-2010, 12:31 PM

I really enjoyed it.
The very end (when she goes back) left a smidge to be desire...seemed kind of rushed to me. Kind of like Diana Gabaldon's newest book....drawn out story and then a mad rush to tie up the loose ends.

And I'm really glad it was a new version, not just the same story. I don't think I would have liked it as much.

Course I've been head-over-heels in LOVE with Tim Burton since forever...and Johnny Depp is wonderful in these roles so I'm a bit biased to begin with!

I, overall, liked it....even though the 3D messed up for the last 10 mins, but we got free ticket passes to our next movie.

Center
#26 of 26 Old 03-18-2010, 08:50 PM

Entertainment Weekly gave it a C, and I tend to agree with their reviews much of the time, so I'm not as eager to see it as I once was. How To Train Your Dragon, however, got an A-, and sounds really good, so I think we'll blow $50 taking all the kids to that instead. I love Tim Burton, but Alice is getting fairly lukewarm reviews all around.

Heather, Mama to DS(10) DD(7.5),DD(6)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page