Book Challenge - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-10-2004, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been reading most christmas craft/recipe books and juvenile books (research for my new book) but I did read one adult fiction "The Garden Angel". It was about sisters - one is dating a married man. THe other (not so pretty one) meets the wife and they become friends - Very well written, interesting - not life changing but good book.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2004, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Soccermom, I was also in a soroity in college and have read PLEDGED...as much as I laugh at the Greek System for a variety of reasons, PLEDGED was an extreme, better to sell books I assume, and also I think that the Sororities shown in the book are from the South which takes their Greek system WAY more serious than the one I experienced in Boulder Colo...I read it for the same reasons, curious to see how it was represented since each sorority/fraternity on each campus is sooo different, but I'm sure the stuff she writes about happens some places...
almost done with HOLLY CLAUS, enjoying it very much!
Old 12-21-2004, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks konamama, it is on my list. My sorority was in NY and I know what you mean, the southern girls do not mess around with sororities, tea parties or debutante balls, at least from what I hear!

I just read two really great books which brings my total to 83 for the year, don't think I am going to make the 100 I wanted but I am going to plug ahead for 200 by next Jan 1st.

The first one I read in the car on the way home from FLA was

I Don't Know How She Does It
by ALLISON PEARSON

I thought it really looked at how so many women pretend that everything is so easy in their lives when we all know that is a big fat lie! Here is the review from amazon:

Allison Pearson's debut novel, I Don't Know How She Does It, is a rare and beautiful hybrid: a devastatingly funny novel that's also a compelling fictional world. You want to climb inside this book and inhabit it. However, you might find it pretty messy once you're in there. Narrator Kate Reddy is the manager of a hedge fund and mother of two small children. The book opens with an emblematic scene as Kate "distresses" a store-bought mince pie to make it appear homemade. Her days are measured in increments of minutes and even seconds; her fund stays organized but her house and family are falling apart. The book is a pearly string of great lines. Here's Kate on lack of sleep: "They're right to call it a broken night.... You crawl back to bed and you lie there trying to do the jigsaw of sleep with half the pieces missing." On baby boys: "A mother of a one-year-old son is a movie star in a world without critics." On subtle office dynamics:
The women in the offices of EMF [Kate's firm] don't tend to display pictures of their kids. The higher they go up the ladder, the fewer the photographs. If a man has pictures of kids on his desk, it enhances his humanity; if a woman has them it decreases hers. Why? Because he's not supposed to be home with the children; she is.
There's inherent drama here: Kate is wildly appealing, and we want things to work out for her. In the end, the book isn't a just collection of clever lines on the theme of working motherhood; it's a real, rich novel about a character we come to cherish

I just finished reading this book and I really liked it. Definite Chick Lit but I was in the mood :LOL

Best Enemies
by Jane Heller

Amy Sherman is pretty; Tara Messer is a beauty. Amy has a nice Manhattan apartment; Tara's suburban Tudor castle boasts an actual turret. Amy was engaged to Stuart Lasher, who took maid of honor Tara to bed and then to the altar. Now Tara has chronicled her perfect lifestyle in a book called Simply Beautiful, about to be published by Lowry and Trammell-where her editor plans to make her "the next Martha Stewart, without the baggage" and where Amy is publicity director. Can you spell delicious conflict? Heller (Lucky Stars) goes for the laughs and gets them, but there's more here than meets the funny bone. Just when the reader is ready to kill the perfidious Tara (perhaps by beating her to death with accessories and garnishes), Heller switches out of Amy's point of view and into Tara's. It turns out Tara's a real person, too. And she's in trouble. It seems she did Amy a favor by stealing Stuart, who grabs every passing ass and may bring down the family business with a fake caviar scheme. And it isn't Tara who's pregnant with Stuart's baby. Meanwhile, in another switcheroo, Amy's got a great romance budding with Tony Stiles, the gorgeous mystery author. Of course, they're only pretending to pretend to be in love-Amy to save face (she told Tara she was engaged) and Tony to research relationships-and things are going swimmingly. Though the happy ending is a sure thing, getting there is fabulous fun. Heller makes a familiar story read as brand new, thanks to a rich humanity abetted by smart dialogue, zippy pacing and all-around craft

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
Old 12-22-2004, 01:23 AM

I just finished Ibid: A book in footnotes. The author previously wrote "Ella Minnow Pea" which is a favorite of mine so I was excited to read another.

He displays the same quirky sense of humor - the book starts out with a letter to a publisher accompanying a manuscript which is the biography of a three legged man. The author begs the editor not to lose the book as it is his only copy. Of course the editor looses it (I won't say how as it is very funny) but anyway, all the author has left is his extensive footnotes. The publisher ends up publishing the footnotes which is what we read in the book - so we get the entire story of this three-legged millionaires life through footnotes - interviews, letters, newspaper and book excerpts. It's quite humourous - perhaps not a page-turner or quick read but really humorous.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 12-22-2004, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe
I just finished Ibid: A book in footnotes. The author previously wrote "Ella Minnow Pea" which is a favorite of mine so I was excited to read another.

He displays the same quirky sense of humor - the book starts out with a letter to a publisher accompanying a manuscript which is the biography of a three legged man. The author begs the editor not to lose the book as it is his only copy. Of course the editor looses it (I won't say how as it is very funny) but anyway, all the author has left is his extensive footnotes. The publisher ends up publishing the footnotes which is what we read in the book - so we get the entire story of this three-legged millionaires life through footnotes - interviews, letters, newspaper and book excerpts. It's quite humourous - perhaps not a page-turner or quick read but really humorous.

This sounds right up my alley. I 'll have to check it out!
Old 12-23-2004, 08:55 PM

Just picked these up today:

"The Memory of Running" by Ron McLarty
'Smithy Ide is a really nice guy. But he's also an overweight, friendless, womanless, hard-drinking, 43-year-old self-professed loser with a breast fetish and a dead-end job, given to stammering "I just don't know" in life's confusing moments. When Smithy's entire family dies, he embarks on a transcontinental bicycle trip to recover his sister's body and rediscover what it means to live. Along the way, he flashes back to his past and the hardships of his beloved sister's schizophrenia, while his dejection encourages strangers to share their life stories. The road redeems the innocent Smithy: he loses weight; rescues a child from a blizzard; rebuffs the advances of a nubile, "apple-breasted" co-cyclist after seeing a vision of his dead sister; and nurtures a telephone romance with a paraplegic family friend as he processes his rocky past. McLarty, a playwright and television actor, propels the plot with glib mayhem—including three tragic car accidents in 31 pages and a death by lightning bolt—and a lot of bighearted and warm but faintly mournful humor. It's a funny, poignant, slightly gawky debut that aims, like its protagonist, to please—and usually does.'

and

"At Grandmother's Table : women write about food, life, and the enduring bond between grandmothers and granddaughters"
'More than 50 women share their grandmother's touching life stories and favorite family recipes, and comment on how food forms the common bond that connects these women across the generations'
Old 12-24-2004, 12:10 PM

Wow both of those sound just up my alley. I have 10 books I just picked up from the library since I am on vacation and there will be no crochet hooks in sight for at least the week. Will probably read 5 of them.

I will have to add both of those to my list for my next library trip.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

Old 12-26-2004, 08:52 PM

I have finally read two books that have been on my List of Books To Read for a while now.

1) Life of Pi by Yann Martel -- Unusual, but interesting, story. I find myself contemplating the underlying meanings of the story and it's been a couple weeks since I finished the book. I even Googled the book today, looking for any hidden meanings or themes that I might have missed.

2) The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time by Mark Haddon -- I had heard it was a mystery, from the point of view of a child with Asperger's Syndrome. I wouldn't describe it as a mystery, tho. It is primarily a glimpse of how a child with Asperger's might view and make sense of the emotionally charged world around him. And, also, perhaps of the stress and challenges that parenting a child with ASD can create.

The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahriri is the next book that I'm reading. I went to a wonderful Indian restaurant last week. The Indian owner took me to the buffet and told me the name of each and every item. I mentioned that I had read books set in India, and that they had piqued my interest in Indian food. A short while later, his wife came out to ask me about the books I had read. It was her that recommended The Namesake and Jhumpa Lahriri's other books, so here I am with a copy. On the cover it mentions that the author has won a Pulitzer Prize.

Bridgett
Old 12-27-2004, 01:07 PM

I have a habit of reading more then one book at a time. Of the ones I am reading "year of Wonders" is the best. I ac6tually finished that one last night.
I think evryone should read this book. It's a national bestseller.

Year of Wonders

By Geraldine Brooks

(from the back cover)
When a n infected bolt of cloth carriers plague from London to an isolated moutniain village, a housemaid named Anna Frith emerges as an unlikely heroine and healer. Through Anna's eyes we follow the story of the Plague year, 1666, as her fellow villagers make an extroadinary choice: convinced by a visionary young minister they elect to quarentine themselves within the village boundries to arrest the spread of the disease. But as death reaches into evry household, faith frays. When villagers turn from prayers to murderous witch-hunting. Anna must confront the deaths of framily, the disintegration of her community, and the lure of illicit love. As she struggles to survive, a year of plague becomes instead annus mirasbilis, a year of wonders.

Put that one on your list.

I am also reading " The great goddess" by jean markale. It's a history of godde4ss worship. it tells about the site's and statuette's found. IOncredibly interesting but at times a little hard to get through. I am really reading it in bits and pieces so I don't get burnt out with facts.

The third book i am reading is
"Eleanor of Aquitaine" by Regine Pernoud.
The stroy of Elinor from the 1300's. She married the future king of France I thinkit was at 17 years of age or something like that (sorry once i strated year of wonders i put this one down)She shortly thereafter became the queen of france. She went on a holy pilgrimmage with the king of frnace. She got her marriage annulled to him then married another man who ended up becoming the king of England. It is really quite interesting, i only put it down because I own that one and not the others. They marry off their children at very young ages. Even at three years of age. Plus once a Daghter is betrothed she goes to live woth her future husbands family. Oh and Eleanor breastfed her children and people thought she was very strange because of it.

I haven't been writting all the books i've read down but i had to let you all know about year of wonders and the other two are interesting reads but a little hard to get though. especially if you aren't into history i imagine. ( I like historical books) Happy reading

courtney

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Old 12-27-2004, 01:22 PM

ok i want to add one that i read a while ago but ebryone should read. ( don't i just know it all )

Generations a century of women speak about their lives

-myriam miedzian and Alisaa malinovich

it really makes you think about who the women in your life really are. It's a collection of essays and stories form women about their lives. (it kind of tells you in the title) AFter reading this book i actually composed a letter to oprah for her book club. I just never sent the letter.

well I am on this feminist kick let me also include this one

"33 things every girl should know about women's history"

http://www.syrculturalworkers.com/ca.../CatGirls.html

there is a link to where i found out about the book. I borrowed it from the linrary but when my daughter gets older I am definitly buyin that book for her.

ok one more feminist book ( I'll be post-feminist in the post-patriarchy)

The mythes of motherhood how culture reinvents the good mother
by Shari L/ Thurer

It tells about motherhood from the beginning of time to the present.

I have to stop typing now though because my heat broke my fingers are numb and they aren't hitting the proper keys at all.

courtney

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Old 12-27-2004, 05:06 PM

So I've peeked in on this thread every once in a while over the last year, and I am finally ready to jump in. Wow! you guys have so many suggestions I have never heard of! I don't know where to start between all that you guys recommend, the mountain of paperbacks my Mom just passed along and the stuff I've had sitting in my book cabinet that I've had on hold from the library for several weeks.

I have just come off of a slow period in my reading. I just finished Wuthering Heights and I've got to say I don't think I really recommend it. After the first 150 pages I kinda sloggged through the next 200 at about 10-15 pages a day! I didn't really care for the characters, and other than the shock in must have created in the 19th century, I don't know why it is a classic. My book group is set to talk about it Saturday. Maybe my opinion will chage a bit after hearing others talk about it.

Next on my list is the Rule of Four - "500 years ago the first men were murdered to protect the secret" It looks like Alkenny didn't like it back in September, but I enjoyed the DaVinci Code enough to give this one a try (though I will agree I thought the writing was awful and I was not inspired to read Dan Brown's other books despite their finding a life on Best Seller lists. The Onion, I think, have a little graphic once where 9 of 10 best sellers were by Dan Brown with great absurd titles and the 10th best seller was by Dr. Phil).
Old 12-27-2004, 05:10 PM

I forgot to mention the other book I am reading - "Einstein never used Flashcards." I am enjoying it immensely. I don't usually read books like this straight through. I usually just read a chapter here or there, but I like the writing style.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:45 AM

Soccermom - I read Best Enemies. I must say I really enjoyed it. The page really turned me off - the way she describes the man she was about to marry - and I'm thinking if that's what she thought about him why was she going to marry him. I read a few more pages though and I was hooked. It was a really fun book to read and I liked the way the author showed both points of view.

Old 12-28-2004, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

I really liked it too. Thought it would make a great movie. I hate how most of what they make it either sequels or remakes. There are so many great fun books out there that they should make into movies.

Old 12-28-2004, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumo

Next on my list is the Rule of Four - "500 years ago the first men were murdered to protect the secret" It looks like Alkenny didn't like it back in September, but I enjoyed the DaVinci Code enough to give this one a try (though I will agree I thought the writing was awful and I was not inspired to read Dan Brown's other books despite their finding a life on Best Seller lists. The Onion, I think, have a little graphic once where 9 of 10 best sellers were by Dan Brown with great absurd titles and the 10th best seller was by Dr. Phil).
I actually really enjoyed Rule of Four - if you liked the Da Vinci Code, I think you'll like it. I also loved Year of Wonders, whoever just started that.

I haven't posted much, but have read everyone's suggestions throughout the year. SoccerMom, do you think you'll do the challenge again for 2005? I was wondering if, on the first post, we might have a list of everyone's name, and how many books they've read (kind of like the UC threads with EDD's); and then they can continue posting their titles and summaries?
Old 12-28-2004, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Sure I will start one for 2005. I myself didn't get to 100, only to 84 thus far, with maybe one more in me by the weekend :LOL, I plan to extend to next year and read up to 220. If anyone who wants to continue wants to PM me with their total thus far I can start a new thread this weekend? What do you all think? I really love all the suggestions here.

Old 12-29-2004, 03:25 PM

I'm all for it! I never kept track this year, but I'm now curious as to how many I did read, so I'll be keeping track this next year.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:50 PM

I haven't kept count either. I just like this thread because of all the great recommendations - the little synopsis really helps.

I'll try to keep a count next year - I guess it would be interesting to see how many books I read.

I read a really good book yesterday - "THe Reader" It was originally written in German but translated. It was a coming-of-age story about a 15 year old boy who has an affair with an older women who he later meets again when she is on trial for war crimes as she was a guard at a prison camp. Very well written. Good read.

Old 12-29-2004, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

cathe I hae heard of that book, it is on my must read list.

I don't think you need to have a goal, I use it as a motivator to get me going to read more. I love to read but sometimes finding the time to do it is just not a priority but keeping track helps spurn me on. What I do on my own site is when I post a book I just jot the # of it and then go on about my business. It is SWEET to see those numbers go up. I just feel such a sense of accomplishment. I have also started a list for myself on how many movies I watch. There are so many old classics like Gone With the Wind, The Way We Were and such that I have never seen that I set the goal of 100 movies this year for myself. I also thought it would keep me away from some reality TV :LOL

So I will post the first one for 2005 with a list of the few ppl who have PMd me, and their goal. It might be nice for everyone with or without a goal to just keep track. Might be fun and maybe I can send a prize to the person with the most books read?

Old 12-29-2004, 10:38 PM

Hmm, read way too much and too quickly to try to keep track of it all half of the time. But I love this list - the suggestions and the interesting conversations that the books can start.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

Old 12-30-2004, 12:11 AM

I'm not a big poster here at MDC but LOVE this Book List. It is so amazing. I have found so many great titles here. My sister and I do a telephone "book club" when we can. We both read fast and love reading.

I will love to keep "in the loop" on this and hope you don't mind my reading with you!!!!!!

missy
Old 12-30-2004, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Of course not!!! We love any and all takers!

Old 12-31-2004, 01:02 AM

Man...I am so sorry I missed this, will we be doing it again this year?
Old 12-31-2004, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Yup!

User Tag List