Book Challenge - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 324 Old 03-28-2004, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I did read Barrell Fever also. I'm going to request the other ones you mentioned to Megan. I do all my requesting from home. It's great!

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 324 Old 03-29-2004, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OFF TOPIC:

Quote:
Originally posted by sohj
Soil Mechanics in Practice by Terzaghi & Peck (The founders of modern soil mechanics!!!)
HA! I know this--I used to work at the Am. Society of Civil Engineers--actually had to try to write exciting jacket copy for these things!

I miss my engineers!
#63 of 324 Old 03-29-2004, 09:37 PM

Just finished Eggshell Days. It was a fun read. I had a little trouble getting into it at first but once I got to know the characters I really started to like it. It was cool to hear "Rescue Remedy" mentioned in a book.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#64 of 324 Old 03-29-2004, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I can't believe I just found this thread!

I love to read, although I don't have much time to read grown-up books anymore:LOL .

There are so many books on here that sound so good, now I will have to them and read.

And BTW, Indigo73 I love Nora Roberts, and Debbie Macomber, and many other trashy novels. At a local good will, you can buy Harlequin romances for 10 cents. Sometimes it is good to relaxe and read brain-less trash

Looking forward to some good discussions!

belly.gifSAHM, carseat geek, cattle raising woman to 5 girls (15, 10, 8, 6, 2) wild.gifand a stork-suprise.gif due in July!
#65 of 324 Old 03-30-2004, 12:28 AM

I spent the past three weeks reading all five Harry Potter books.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#66 of 324 Old 03-30-2004, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

I have all the Harry Potter books but am waiting until my boys are old enough to read them with me, I might start the first one with my oldest this summer, I think he is ready.

I heard they are wonderful!

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#67 of 324 Old 03-30-2004, 12:58 AM

I just finished Eggshell Days too, and enjoyed it. I liked that Maya appreciated her "I am me" moments. And am now, nearly laughing out loud while I read My Life on a Plate.

Thanks for the suggestions ladies...........

And, I read, finally, all the Harry Potter books last summer and am anxiously waiting to share them with my boys too.
#68 of 324 Old 04-02-2004, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

Just finished this book and I LOVED it. I cried at several points in the book, but then again I am pmsing :LOL Very good read of fluff in England. I am almost halfway to my goal of 100 books, this is #40 for me.

Bookends by Jane Green

Bookends, Jane Green's third comic novel of contemporary love and lust, proves beyond a doubt that when it comes to light reading, plot is everything. Bookends makes a great case study because it has little going for it besides plot. Dialogue? Stilted. Characters? Clichéd. Writing style? Sloppy. And yet the book is well-nigh impossible to put down. A few friends meet at university: Simon, the chirpy gay character; Portia, the glamour girl; Josh, the adorable, unpretentious catch; and Cath, the overweight, insecure narrator. Portia strays from their crowd, but the other three remain friends into their 30s. Now successful Londoners, each faces a personal crisis: singleton Cath leaves a secure job to start a bookstore; Simon looks for love; Josh's marriage goes through growing pains. And then Portia, as intimidating and elegant as ever, wanders back into their lives--with surprising results. Green is a past master of the ugly-duckling-turned-swan story. Cath's transformation--neatly echoed by the changes in the lives of her friends--is completely addictive. Plot does indeed rule

#69 of 324 Old 04-02-2004, 12:59 PM

That book sounds really famililiar - at least all the names of the characters do. I think I read it but I can't quite remember.

I just fininshed "Falling Leaves: The true story of an unwanted chinese daughter." It was an autobiography of a chinese woman with a truly disfunctional family. It gave lots of history as well as an interesting story. It was interesting to hear about some of the same events from Wild Swans from a different perspective. She also used a lot of chinese idioms which I found interesting.

#70 of 324 Old 04-02-2004, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

NEat, I will add that one to read after I finish Wild Swans, which btw is taking me forever!:LOL It's good but long!

#71 of 324 Old 04-09-2004, 11:16 PM

I just read "Catch me if you can." It was a cool book about this con artist posed as an airline pilot, doctor, lawyer to swindle banks, ect. of money. He got caught occasionally (some interesting and horrible prison stories). Great, fast, fun read.

I also read "Running With Scissors." It was an incredible story of a boy who gets raised by his mother's wacko pshyciatrist a really bizarre, but well written book. It wouldn't exactly call if funny like most of the reviews I read did, but it was definitely diferent.

#72 of 324 Old 04-10-2004, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Ok well I totally failed in my attempt to read Wild Swans It is a really great book but with dh away these past weeks, I have been so braindead that I just could not get through it. Too much technical stuff and dates and things. I may try to pick it up again ( it was a library book) in a week or two. I am almost done with another book called Look For a Letter Tomorrow about a college girl from 1900-1904 and it is really interesting, will post more when done. I am just too sad about the Wild Swans

#73 of 324 Old 04-10-2004, 02:01 PM

Soccermom - don't feel bad about Wild Swans - although the story was amazing, the book was not very well written and it was pretty hard to get through - definitely a book requiring a lot of concentration which is hard when you have children.

Can't wait to hear about the other book - it sounds like something I would like.

#74 of 324 Old 04-11-2004, 07:35 PM

I just finished "Massachuetts California Timbuktu". It was one of the best books I have every read. It was an absotely heartbreaking story of two young girls being dragged from place to place by their disfunctional mother. The older daughter basically takes care of the younger sister and the mother and tries to keep everything together. The writing is excellent and draws you totally into the story. So many times I just wanted to shake that mother and make her appreciate her wonderful daughters and what she had. I also appreciated the realisitc ending. Anyway - I'd say if could only read one book this year - read this book.

#75 of 324 Old 04-11-2004, 08:07 PM

Did someone mention Dorothy Sayers? Her The Nine Tailors is one book I could not put down!

Arduinna, how's the Gore Vidal book going? I read Burr by him and I liked it a lot and wouldn't mind reading more historical fiction by Gore Vidal.

I just finished A Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing. Fluff, but well-written fluff. It follows a girl, Jane (she's 14 in the first segment) through adventures in her love life.

I also recently finished So I Am Glad by A. L. Kennedy. This book is not for everybody--there's a description of killing and eating a dog--but I thought it was good and intelligently written. It's about a dysfunctional woman--she has some serious issues, particularly with sex. She shares a house in ******* with a random assortment of people. One housemate goes off and arranges for a friend, Martin, to take his room while he's gone. But Martin never appears, and instead a mysterious man takes up residence in the empty room and he turns out to be--get this--Cyrano de Bergerac, who died and somehow "fell" into this house in 1990's *******. It's original, if nothing else.

As far as non-fiction is concerned, I've recently finished Dumbing Down our Kids by Charles Sykes. An excellent, excellent critique of public schools in the US.
#76 of 324 Old 04-12-2004, 06:10 PM

A friend just lent me Where Is The Mango Princess? by Cathy Crimmins. It is a true account of her husband's TBI (traumatic brain injury). He was in a speedboat accident and the book deals with the recovery process. It's not the easiest thing to read - the idea of this happening to my husband, whose name is the same as the man in the book, is frightening as hell. But so far (haven't finished it yet), the book is great, even though it makes you want to wear a helmet just walking down the street.
#77 of 324 Old 04-12-2004, 10:53 PM

Hi everyone! Hope everyone's enjoying their books.

So, I read "The Center of Everything", as recommended upthread. I really enjoyed it, although I would have liked reading more about the other characters, ie. her mother, her best friend. I wanted to know more about what made them tick. It actually reminded me of "California, Massachusetts, Timbuktu", which I loved. What do you think, Cathe? I second reading that.

I tried reading "Urban Tribes". It's a nonfictional piece about those in their 20-30's who haven't married and how they find their "family" in their friends and social circles. It was okay, but not interesting enough to make into a book. More like a magazine article, which is what it started out to be. I wouldn't recommend it, but it had cool moments. (the author goes to Burning Man, lives in San Francisco, etc.)

I'm reading "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" by Mark Haddon now. Very good. It's the story of an autistic teenage boy who's trying to track down the killer of a neighbor's dog. It's interesting. The protagonist is brilliant with numbers and logical questions but is incapable of feeling emotions. Give it a try. It's an easy read, from the point of view of the boy.

I got "Eggshell Days" and am going to start it next. BTW, I loved "Girls Guide to Hunting and Fishing". Anyone know if Melissa Banks has anything else out? I liked "Catch me if you Can" too. The author must be one of the most clever people out there. Incredible!! Pretty funny too.

Okay, catch up with yall later. Happy reading!

Megan
#78 of 324 Old 04-13-2004, 12:54 PM

I have finished The Good Life - what a neat book and what a neat couple. I added that book to my to buy list - I know I need to read it again. Not to mention refer back to it for all sorts of things. I loved their approach to health.

I also just finished a neat little book called If You Like My Apples by Clue Tyler Dennis & Luke ******. It's only about 100 pages and a nice introduction to biodynamic gardening. Very very basic.

I am now onto Never Kiss a Goat on the Lips: The Adventures of a Suburban Homesteader by Vic S. Sussman.

I won't mention all the fluff I have head in between. Probably 6-8 romance, mystery and sci-fi novels and a couple that worked under all 3 genres. :LOL

I am so glad my library got better about interlibrary loans.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#79 of 324 Old 04-13-2004, 05:27 PM

I'm a collection development librarian at a large university. While the pay isn't great, it does have it's perks. One of my subjects is geography, which is sufficiently broad that I can legitimately order a lot of interesting books, and I can get first dibs on them!

I must confess though, that for pleasure I mostly read junk. I have to read for about half an hour every night, or I don't sleep. I like mysteries the best.

Quote:
Has anyone read 'the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency' series by Alexander Smith McCall
YES! I just finished the Kalahari Typing School for Men. Loved it!

I read everything about China I can get my hands on, as I have two Chinese daughters and I team teach a course in modern China. I recently read "The private life of Chairman Mao : the memoirs of Mao's personal physician", by Zhisui Li, who was Mao's personal physician. Fascinating read, although Dr. Li didn't provide any documentation. But from the way he lived, especially during the Cultural Revolution, that's entirely understandable.
#80 of 324 Old 04-13-2004, 07:55 PM

Indigo73 - I tried searching for the Good Life on Amazon but there are so many books by that name. Can you tell me the author.

THe goat kissing one sounds great but it's not available in my library system. Is it worth buying??

#81 of 324 Old 04-13-2004, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

I just read a really great book! Could not put it down!

Look For a Letter Tomorrow

A College Girls Life 100 Years Ago
1900-1904 Helen Gertrude Fox
Her Letters Home to Her Family
Edited by her daughter Margaret Carmichael Emerson

This was an awesome book. It tells the true story, through letters of a girl form Milton Mills, NH ( about 30 minutes from me) and her 4 years at Wellesley College. It is amazing the way things have changed. I was also amazed by some of the things that stayed the same at that university. For anyone who has seen Mona Lisa Smile, this is a great book, as alot of the custom seen in the movie are seen in the book some 50 plus years before hand. I really liked this book. I liked it so much that I plan to go to the museum in NH where the real letters are stored and also try and learn more about this womans life. A wonderful non-fiction historical novel!

I could not find it on amazon, but I went to the website of the publisher,which is out of NH and alot of libraries will order something if you request it! Here is the URL for it, go down the page

http://www.worldpath.net/~ghb/

#82 of 324 Old 04-14-2004, 01:16 AM
Joi

I am starting Middlesex....... so far so good I will keep you all informed.
#83 of 324 Old 04-14-2004, 09:49 AM

The Good Life is by Helen Hearing.

Never Kiss a Goat on the Lips is about 20 years old (and not reprinted) so it may be tough to find. I have just starting it, I will let you know what I think.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#84 of 324 Old 04-14-2004, 12:59 PM

Thanks Indigo73 - I'll look it up. I found the goat one on amazon and saw it was written in the 80's. I was wondering if the info is still relevant. I'll be interested to hear how you like it.

angstmommy - I loved Middlesex. After I read that, I got his previous book "The Virgin Suicides that was great too."

#85 of 324 Old 04-14-2004, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

I really liked the Virgin Suicides too! Did you see the movie version? How was it? It is on my list of things to rent!

#86 of 324 Old 04-14-2004, 07:50 PM

I didn't even know there was a movie - I'll have to put it on my list too. I also want to see Catch Me If You Can now that I read the book.

#87 of 324 Old 04-14-2004, 08:37 PM

I'm currently reading Civil Wars the battle for gay marriage by David Moates. Very interesting book that tells the story of how same sex unions because legal in the state of Vermont.

Also has some background into the gay rights movement of the 70's.
#88 of 324 Old 04-14-2004, 09:53 PM
Joi

I haven't read The Virgin Suicides but I thought the movie was incredible.
#89 of 324 Old 04-15-2004, 09:15 PM

I just finished The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahari. I had read her first book Interpreter of Maladies when it was recommended on another thread. That first book was incredible so I requested this one as well. This was not quite as good - the plot was somewhat lacking but her writing is so wonderful and the chacters so real that the book is still a pleasure to read.

It was about an couple who move from India to the US and have a child and the story of his growing up. You learn a lot about Indian culture and tradition which I loved and about what it's like to grow up torn between two cultures.

#90 of 324 Old 04-19-2004, 11:49 AM

I just read this cool book that I got at a library book sale called "Juno and Juliet". They are twins starting college in Ireland and it is from Juliet's point of view. She is such a cool character and the book is really funny and a little sad. I really enjoyed it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page