Book Challenge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 324 Old 03-03-2004, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sohj (sp?) made me think of starting this thread here. I go to another site and on there I have given myself a 100 book challenge for the next year. I am up to #34. So I thought that maybe she and some other might like to join me in this challenge. What I do is list the book I have read, the # it is and a brief synopsis. There are other women on the site doing the same and is a great way to also find out about what other great books are out there. Also included on occassion are the parenting books that we have read.

Anyone interested?

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#2 of 324 Old 03-03-2004, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm not sure I understand what you are proposing. Is there a list of 100 books and we pick the ones we want to read and review them or do we all just try to read books and add them to the list . . .

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#3 of 324 Old 03-03-2004, 05:43 PM

These days, with the baby and my job schedule, I think I could only get to 100 if I was allowed to include such riveting masterpieces like "Engineering Geology: Rock in Engineering Construction" or the classic (REALLY!!!!) Soil Mechanics in Practice by Terzaghi & Peck (The founders of modern soil mechanics!!!)

I second cathe's question.

#4 of 324 Old 03-03-2004, 07:22 PM

Dr Suess DOES NOT count!
#5 of 324 Old 03-03-2004, 07:29 PM

I'm not sure I could get to 100. I think I have only got through about 8 books so far this year. But the idea of the brief synopis sounds wonderful as does the challenge! I am always seeking the next 'great' read.
#6 of 324 Old 03-03-2004, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kama'aina mama
Dr Suess DOES NOT count!
That's soooooooooooooo unfair!
#7 of 324 Old 03-03-2004, 08:06 PM

#8 of 324 Old 03-03-2004, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

First let me just say I am so happy that all of you are even interested. What we do on the other board is read any book that we want ( and sorry Dr. Suess does not count there or I would be past 100 by now :LOL ) We read the book, post the title and author and a brief synopsis and then what we thought of it and if we would recommened it to others.

I just gave 100 as a starting point, you can make a personal goal all your own, I just really wanted to challenge myself to read at least one book a week. Some weeks that happens some weeks it doesn't but I am not giving up. I figure once the weather warms up and I am at the park and lake more I will have more time. The list is great because I often see things on other ppls lists and go Hey I'd like to read that!!

So how does that sound? Did I explain it ok? The other board is very small so we each have our own 100 Book List thread but we could just have one here and just keep adding to it? Let me know what you think?

#9 of 324 Old 03-03-2004, 09:22 PM

I'm in.

Let the reading begin!

Ja mama-- I reserve my books in advance (online) from the library and they put them on hold for me, I think for 7 days. I love it.
#10 of 324 Old 03-03-2004, 09:42 PM

Me too, I'm game!

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#11 of 324 Old 03-03-2004, 09:47 PM

Me too!
#12 of 324 Old 03-04-2004, 03:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
OK, today I finished A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson after reading about it in another thread. It was fascinating, frightening and fun to read. I'd definitely recommend it as long as you don't believe the universe is less than 6,000 years old and that dinosaur fossils were put there by God to test our faith. In that case, you might find the book aggravating.
#13 of 324 Old 03-04-2004, 03:48 AM

Count me in. I just finished While I Was Gone by Susan ******. About a young woman who runs away from her life b/c she's unhappy with it. She moves in with a group of people, they all become friends, have a laid back lifestyle (never lock the doors, etc). Anyways, it's a mystery type book.

Also finished Wild Swans a true story of three generations of women in China. Wonderful, fascinating book. Very well written. It really helped me to understand more of China's history.

AmiBeth

#14 of 324 Old 03-04-2004, 04:41 AM

AmiBeth--
I loved Wild Swans, it was absolutely fascinating. A friend of mine sent it to me while I was living in the Dominican Republic and I have sent it on to about 5 others while they were living abroad. That book has made it to the DR, Finland, China, Slovakia, Ecuador, and Ghana. I found it to be very interesting and helpful when I was in China for a month a few years ago.
#15 of 324 Old 03-04-2004, 04:47 AM

mariposita~ I ended up reading it b/c the guy we bought our house from left all of his books behind. A friend of mine actually had to read it for one of her college casses. I even recommended it to the teacher of my Socio-Cultural Psychological Development class! (Say that three times fast! :LOL )

AmiBeth

#16 of 324 Old 03-04-2004, 12:17 PM

The books I just finished in the last couple of weeks were:

"Reading Lolita in Tehran". This was the true story of a literature professor in Iran who was trying to teach western literature. First in the university and, after she was kicked out, in a private workshop for women. It was so interesting to learn a little about life in Iran and how they related to western classics. The book was divided into 4 sections: Lolita, Gatsby, Henry James, Austen. It was excellently written and I recommend it.

"Lolita" by Nabakov: so after reading the above book, I realized I had never actually read the book "Lolita" so I got it out. It was an amazing book. Very well written and not at all sensationalized like I'm sure a book on this subject would be written now. Lolita was not some innocent flower but still she was seduced and raped by a older man. It was written from the man's point of view which gave things an intriguing twist. My dh is reading it now and he very rarely reads fiction.

"Travels With Charley" by John Steinbeck: This was such a fun, easy book to read. It is a true account of Steinbecks 3 month travels around the US with his poodle Charley (In 1960). He makes really interesting observations and many are relavant as to what is happening in the US today. There are a lot of funny stories about things that happened to him. I really liked his writing style - it made me feel like he would be a really cool guy to hang out with.

ps - I loved Wild Swans too.
pps - I was going to make the same recommendation to jamama. Reserving books in advance is the ONLY way to go - Now I just have to pick them up at the desk.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#17 of 324 Old 03-04-2004, 01:32 PM

I want to join in on the book fun! I just finished reading East of Eden by John Steinbeck . Great book. Although the story is somewhat about the author's life and people his grandparents knew, it is really about the intense relationship between brothers and between sons and fathers. I gained a new perspective on my two ds while reading this book and of course it was as wonderfully written as most Steinbeck is.

I am reading Lies (And the Lying Liars Who Tell Them) written by Al Franken. I think it'll be a quick read, but I am really enjoying the humor of it.

And now I really want to read Wild Swans. Sounds really interesting.

Thanks for the idea, soccermom, although I don't know if I can get to 100 (I have only read one book so far this year) but I think I will set my goal a little lower and still join in on the fun.
#18 of 324 Old 03-04-2004, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Very cool!!! This just made my day! I am in the middle of two books right now and will post ASAP! Thanks for the wonderful new ideas!

#19 of 324 Old 03-04-2004, 06:10 PM

I'm in! I don't know if I'd get to 100, but I might (I've never counted!). I read all the time, but of course 'all the time' means after dd has gone to bed or is napping. And that's when I don't feel obligated to do housework or other tasks...sigh.

I'm in the middle of a very loooong book right now (This Much I know Is True by Wally Lamb)...it's very good, and I'll submit a synopsis when I finish.

I loved Wild Swans too!

~ Meredith, mom to dd(Jan '02), ds1(May '04) and ds2 (June '07) ~ :
#20 of 324 Old 03-04-2004, 06:32 PM

I read a ton of junk. I have probably already read over 30 books this year - a nice mix of romances, mysteries and sci-fi with a sprinkling of gardening and other non-fiction books. I am currently reading Salt: A World History - very cool.

Sounds like I have to look into Wild Swan.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#21 of 324 Old 03-04-2004, 08:43 PM

I"ve heard that Salt book is good...

I just finished Breeder - a collective of stories by the mama's at HipMama. It was really good, and lots of short reads. It was interesting to hear the stories of hippy drop out 19 year old mamas and how much they love their babies. Even though I feel "open minded", I know I am probably not as much as I could be... their stories were a good lesson.
#22 of 324 Old 03-04-2004, 09:31 PM

p
#23 of 324 Old 03-05-2004, 12:07 AM
Joi

I LOVED Breeder I got copies for quite a few of my friends and they love it too.

I just finished rereading Geek Love by Katherine Dunn and am now onto Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk.
#24 of 324 Old 03-05-2004, 10:59 AM

Cool idea!

I have a friend who actually keeps a binder and makes an entry every time she finishes a book. She's a little OCD, though!!!

I just finished a great book called Funny In Farsi by Firoozeh Dumas. She was born in Iran and came to America at age seven. It is a memoir, but it is mostly lighthearted and quite funny, especially the stuff she writes about her parents.

I also read a book called The Center of Everything by Laura Moriarty, which is a coming-of-age story told in the fist person by the daughter of a young, unmarried mother. It was really wonderful.
#25 of 324 Old 03-05-2004, 03:56 PM

I just finished 'Far Afield', by Susuanna Kaysen.

It's about a grad student (anthropology) who goes to the Faroe Islands to do some fieldwork. Life on the Island is backwards compared to Boston and there are some interesting culutural observations.

I finished it cuz I wanted to know what happened, but it wasn't a must read.
#26 of 324 Old 03-05-2004, 04:07 PM

An Embarrassment of Mangos, a book about a Tonronto couple that rents out their home and sails to the carribean for 2 years. Great story especially because they both were doing it for the first time.

I'm currently reading Julian by Gore Vidal, tells the story of the Roman Emperor Julian who tried to bring back Roman Paganism.

do cookbooks count ?
#27 of 324 Old 03-05-2004, 04:27 PM

If cookbooks count, I'm well past 100 already.

I would like to join in this. I usually read a couple of books (or more) per week. But, I'm mostly joining this to hear the recommendations. Lately, I've been in a rut when it comes to picking books for myself (except cookbooks) and I like hearing what others have enjoyed or found thought-provoking so I can read it, too.

I have been thinking of reading Lolita since that Book Quiz.

#28 of 324 Old 03-05-2004, 04:32 PM

maybe we should start a seperate thread for cookbooks
#29 of 324 Old 03-05-2004, 07:46 PM

Ack! Do you guys realize what this thread is doing to my book list??? Every time I check it, I add a few more books...it's already 2 pages long (that is, 2 pages of books that I want to read but haven't yet!)

No really, it's great , but does anyone else get overwhelmed at the sheer number of exciting books there are out there to read relative to the amount of time you actually have to read them???

~ Meredith, mom to dd(Jan '02), ds1(May '04) and ds2 (June '07) ~ :
#30 of 324 Old 03-05-2004, 08:26 PM

Ummm...: ...I'm about to crown my reputation as a wet blanket....but I was thinking that as great as it is to get recommendations and all ... uh ... this seems a little acquisitive rather than inquisitive . A bit too much about reading lots and lots of books rather than delving in deep and getting a lot out of a book or several books you really enjoy and that strike a chord in you and your life.

So, I'm going to mention some books that I read for the first time long ago and now keep them in my bedroom bookshelf to be able to pick them up and open them at random and read bits again and again.

Ursula Le Guinn's The Compass Rose. A book of short stories. Mostly SF (Speculative Fiction). Not sure if it is still in print, but I sure hope so. One of the stories is about a time when marriage is illegal and a couple reunites after a "reeducation" of the man in prison.

Robert Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. About the power of the state over one's mental state. And about PAYING ATTENTION. Being Here Now. How all our actions should be performed with attention and love and only by giving them full attention do they become "prayers". Well, maybe that is the wrong word. I meant prayer like the word "daven".

The Trickster of Liberty by Gerald Vizenor. Anishnaabe irony in a family story. He is, unfortunately, a professor at Berkeley, so I can't go to his lectures. ( http://people.mnhs.org/authors/biog_...rsonID=Vize363 ) I have wanted to meet him for years....but worry I might not like him as much as I like his books. (I worry about this with everyone whose works I admire...sometimes it is better to admire and keep a distance.)

Dorothy Sayers's Gaudy Night. A mystery, but mostly a study of human nature and, actually, the philosophical conflict that can exist between the "domestic goddess" and the woman with a profession/calling.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page