Disneynature's OCEANS - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 04-07-2010, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone seen the trailer for this? Loved EARTH last year, so we'll most likely be checking this one out on Earth Day too....I'm a big fan of all things oceanic. The scenery looks absolutely gorgeous!

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=760296068471
#2 of 16 Old 04-08-2010, 01:45 PM

DS and I saw this in February (guess it came out earlier here). It is very beautiful, but there is a hard-to-watch scene in which we are shown the mistreatment of ocean creatures by humans. What the humans want is taken from the animals and then they are discarded back into the ocean. My DS (age 8) had his eyes closed through that, but the following part about the many species that are now extinct made him sad. I do recommend the movie, but think it's good to be warned.
#3 of 16 Old 04-08-2010, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Oh - thanks for the review and the warning! Despite some of the hard-to-watch scenes, did you think that the movie gave an overall good message about the ocean and environment? I ask because Disneynature and Oceans have been teaming up with environmental causes (like "See OCEANS, Save Oceans" to help coral reefs) as they're promoting the movie. They did that with EARTH too, so I thought it would be the similar this year as well.
#4 of 16 Old 04-09-2010, 10:50 AM

I want to see this as well.
#5 of 16 Old 04-10-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayberry*moon View Post
Oh - thanks for the review and the warning! Despite some of the hard-to-watch scenes, did you think that the movie gave an overall good message about the ocean and environment?
Yes, most definitely. Have you seen Winged Migration? That was also by Jacques Perrin and Jacques Cluzaud. I think Perrin produced Microcosmos too. So if you've seen those you'll have an idea about Oceans.
#6 of 16 Old 04-11-2010, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't seen those before, but I will also have to check them out. I also heard that Sylvia Earle (a renowed oceanographer and founder of Mission Blue) was one of the experts that used in the movie - saw her expertise in this video going behind-the-scenes of the movie. Looks beautiful!
#7 of 16 Old 04-17-2010, 04:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My kids want to see it, but there is no way I'm taking them to see a movie that is full of the ocean. I can't even watch the previews.
#8 of 16 Old 04-19-2010, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Why would you not want to take them to a movie about the ocean? I think it's a great (and fun) way to help them learn about the ocean.

If you need further proof, just read this review on The Huffington Post about the movie. The reviewer calls it "the most important movie of our time" and calls it just as mind-blowing at Avatar...except this is all real, not CGI. Pretty crazy, right? I'm so excited to see it this week!
#9 of 16 Old 04-19-2010, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We're not getting it here.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#10 of 16 Old 04-19-2010, 10:27 PM

My youngest's Montessori class is going on a field trip to see it on Thursday. They are sooo excited. Hmmm, perhaps they need an extra chaperone!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#11 of 16 Old 04-20-2010, 01:05 AM

[QUOTE=bayberry*moon;15316776]Why would you not want to take them to a movie about the ocean? I think it's a great (and fun) way to help them learn about the ocean.

QUOTE]
my mom took my two brothers to see the one about the animals .... they LOVE animals .. but had to leave the theater due to a whole movie about animals

(sorry about the bad quote)

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#12 of 16 Old 04-22-2010, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

^^LOL - that makes more sense!

Happy Earth Day! Anyone seen it yet today? A couple co-workers went to an early screening and thought it was really good! I'm going this weekend - and doing my part by helping save coral reefs Let me know what you guys think!
#13 of 16 Old 04-25-2010, 08:32 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
We saw it yesterday.........it has some AMAZING images, but then it's slow in some parts and has a surprisingly boring narrative voice, so I almost fell asleep.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#14 of 16 Old 04-25-2010, 11:59 PM

Does anyone know if OCEANS is original Disney? Last year's EARTH was just a portion cut out of the BBC's PLANET EARTH which was a bit disappointing since we already owned PLANET EARTH.
#15 of 16 Old 04-27-2010, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, it's an original film - the filmmakers spent the last seven years filming specifically for the movie. I think there may have been a slightly different version released overseas last year, but the footage is all brand-new, so not anything you've seen in "Blue Planet" or Discovery Channel or whatnot. And believe me (I saw it over the weekend), some of the images are definitely things you've never seen before! It's definitely an incredible visual experience - so definitely recommend seeing it on the big screen!
#16 of 16 Old 05-04-2010, 01:27 PM

We saw it this weekend. I liked it but because we watch so many ocean documentaries, I didn't learn anything new. I think it would be good for kids, though. There really wasn't any sad scenes. They show an Orca and a shark eat a couple of sea lions, but it's not gory. I actually thought they didn't do enough to show man's impact on the oceans and how we're killing them. It barely touched on the warming earth and ice caps melting and BARELY showed the trash piles in the pacific. In fact, they didn't even state how large the trash islands are (the size of Texas and 90 miles deep). They did show that other animals get caught in nets, so that was good (well, bad). But all in all, I thought Earth was better because they followed a few families and showed their stories, but this one they didn't follow any specific families where you would get hooked on their story.

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page