Do you have a Kindle/Nook? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 104 Old 05-25-2010, 05:09 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Whoo-hoo! My library does e-books with nook and Sony eReaders! I'm def checking the nook out now... DH said I have to pick one for my birthday this summer Of course then two computers died so I might just get a laptop instead, but I still find this a revelation, that you CAN check out library books on some of these. That was the one thing holding me back... because I hardly ever spend money on books anymore. This way I can support authors I love buy buying their books and still check out other titles at the library... maybe I can get one for xmas
#62 of 104 Old 05-25-2010, 05:27 PM

I love reading on my iTouch (basically an iPhone without the phone or camera abilities). My favorite app to read on is Stanza, because it has a lot of options, but I also will read book on the Kindle app. (I also have the B&N app but haven't really used it yet).

To me, the back light is a huge advantage. I know a lot of people don't like it. but it's what makes it so great for me. My husband is very sensitive to light when he sleeps so there is no way I can sit and read in bed with the light on (he almost always goes to bed before me). I can take my iTouch to bed, and can read it with no external light, it's great. It's also nice in dark cars, on planes, etc. And I can't stand external book lights like a dedicated reader would require. The iTouch also does a lot more than just read books, so for the price I think it's a pretty obvious choice.

I looked at a Nook at a B&N store and I found the page turning animation to be distracting and slow. And I didn't like the e-ink. I know I'm in the minority on all of this though.
#63 of 104 Old 05-25-2010, 06:12 PM

Love my Kindle 2 and love my pretty cover

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

It's nice when eating because my reader can stand.

Went to the beach and put it inside a gallon sized Ziploc baggie (with the cover on) to protect from sand and water. I'd do this at the pool too but with my kiddos in tow, there's little reading time at the pool.
#64 of 104 Old 05-25-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
I read that they've had trouble with the screen cracking... specifically w/use of the designated amazon case. Sooooo now I'm nervous about any of the cases, but even more nervous about no case.
I hadn't heard that about the screens cracking. FWIW, mine has been dropped at least 4 times on hard surfaces, once by me when I tripped (Kindle fell down brick stairs) and the other times by my DC who aren't supposed to touch it (hardwood floors) and it is still in perfect condition. It seems pretty durable to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYCat View Post
Went to the beach and put it inside a gallon sized Ziploc baggie (with the cover on) to protect from sand and water. I'd do this at the pool too but with my kiddos in tow, there's little reading time at the pool.
I use the gallon size ziploc bag trick too. That way I can read in the bath, at th beach and on our boat.
#65 of 104 Old 05-25-2010, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen+2monkeys View Post
I hadn't heard that about the screens cracking. FWIW, mine has been dropped at least 4 times on hard surfaces, once by me when I tripped (Kindle fell down brick stairs) and the other times by my DC who aren't supposed to touch it (hardwood floors) and it is still in perfect condition. It seems pretty durable to me.
whew! this had me scared: http://www.kindlenewsandreviews.com/...screen-issues/

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#66 of 104 Old 05-25-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Mine has survived many a tumble and come in and out of the Amazon case (on purpose! lol) with no issues at all, too.

I think that was an old issue.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#67 of 104 Old 05-25-2010, 09:27 PM

I my Kindle! I'd been thinking about an eReader last fall, but didn't know anyone who had a Kindle I could test drive in person. Then I noticed a coworker had one at lunch one day, and she let me test drive. OMG - I went straight back to my desk and ordered it!

One charge lasts two weeks IF you have the wireless off. Wireless on - it lasts about a week or less. So keep it off unless you're downloading a new book.

For classic books that are better formatted, it's worth it to pay the couple bucks to get a Mobi formatted one.

This screen cracking thing is new to me. Mine goes with me EVERYWHERE. I have a bag big enough for it. I have this exact case:
http://www.amazon.com/Prodigy-Leathe...833396&sr=1-11

It has the pocket for the LED book light, which when not in use, lays in the inside "spine" of the case. You can fold the cover back to read one-handed.
http://www.amazon.com/M-Edge-e-Lumin.../ref=pd_cp_e_0

If you want to keep tabs on how much you spend on books, just buy and email to yourself an Amazon gift card each month.

Here's a neat set of boards just for the Kindle. It's fun reading about how people go gaga with their accessories. I just have the one case and the book light and that's it. I'd rather spend my $$ on stuff to read!
http://www.kindleboards.com/

A fellow I know has the Sony Reader, but is going to get a Kindle, simply because so much more is available for it, in his opinion.

It was neat that one day when I went to get an oil change and pulled out my Kindle to read in the waiting room, there was a guy there with a Kindle, too. Same exact cover, except in red.

I put Kindle in a gallon ziplock to take a bath. Wonderful!

lady.gif
#68 of 104 Old 05-25-2010, 09:34 PM

How do you know when your Kindle has received the new update?

ETA: I just figured it out. Go to the Settings page and look for the version number at the bottom of the screen. 2.5 is new version (mine currently says 2.3).

lady.gif
#69 of 104 Old 05-25-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
How do you know when your Kindle has received the new update?

ETA: I just figured it out. Go to the Settings page and look for the version number at the bottom of the screen. 2.5 is new version (mine currently says 2.3).
I didn't think the new update was available yet.....Is it??? I am so looking forward to the folders/organization feature.
#70 of 104 Old 05-25-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
I didn't think the new update was available yet.....Is it??? I am so looking forward to the folders/organization feature.
Per Amazon, the broad roll out is "late May 2010."
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200324680

I noticed in some of the pp on this thread that some folks have it already.

lady.gif
#71 of 104 Old 05-26-2010, 12:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingJoy View Post
Just joining in the discussion. Is there a way to share an account between DH and myself with two Kindle's (or a Kindle and iPhone app)? I would be annoyed if we had to buy a book twice.
I registered my Kindle to my Amazon account, and my iPhone Kindle app to my husband's Amazon account.
#72 of 104 Old 05-26-2010, 05:04 PM

I do the ziplock trick too! I could never give up reading in the bathtub, so my Kindle practices "safe bathing."

You just know that some entrepreneur will come along and market the Kindle Kondom for this purpose.
#73 of 104 Old 05-27-2010, 02:59 PM

I don't have a Kindle or Nook, but I have a Kobo. It's a Canada-based, and cheaper, eReader. I just got it yesterday (an early birthday present, because I'd started talking about wanting an eReader...after dh had already ordered me one!). So far, I love it. It's light, and easy to read, and the store for the eBooks had book 2 of the series I started at the local library (where they have #1, #3, #4 & #5...but not #2). I'm just loving this thing!!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#74 of 104 Old 05-29-2010, 03:34 AM

I absolutely love my Kindle 2. My only complaint is that they weren't invented when I was younger, childless, & had all the time in the world to read.
#75 of 104 Old 05-29-2010, 08:03 AM

I just bought a Nook then a Kindle to try and decide which to keep. Crazy, I know. I was using the Kindle app for my Touch mostly for free books before this.

So here are my long, rambly thoughts as a reader but tech-lover too...

I was pretty sold on the Nook because of the compatibility with the library e-books, removable storage, and the fact that you can purchase books from B&N and the Sony Reader Store (plus all the free sources out there). So far for each book I'm interested in, has been available at B&N or Sony. One bummer is I bought a book for my Kindle app (The Help) and I can't put it on my Nook due to DRM.

To me, the big drawback of the Kindle is the inability to read ePub and the lack of removable storage which basically makes the Nook unlimited.

Frankly, even though my two weeks has passed with the Nook for returning it, I'm not convinced. Like a PP above, I'm a reader (a librarian) and travel with books everywhere. However, I love the idea of an e-reader, but I pretty much don't buy books anymore unless it's something I know will get a lot of use (parenting and homeschool books mostly) and my library doesn't have it. Unless it's a gift from my parents, I don't buy fiction or non-fiction in general anymore. I buy lots and lots of children's books, but not too much for me. Part of that is a space issue. I own 1000s of books (and have weeded tons more), and I prefer to save my shelf space for children's books and things I'll find relevant to HSing. The only books I've kept are my do-or-die favorites (LMM, Austen, Bronte, Christie) and hard-to-find/OOP (my collection of religious books and classic Hollywood). Part of my reasoning for an e-reader was that I could buy books again, but not have to take up physical space in the house. The flip side, like I said though, is I'm a HUGE library user. I know I can ILL even my favorite books anytime I want to read them.

I also can't decide if I'll really find it satisfying to own e-books rather than a paper copy. I know I can highlight and add notes to the Nook, but I don't think it will have the same impact as my hard copies. I'm not sure my personality relishes the idea of half my book collection being digital and half paper and ink. I'm thinking I might use the Nook for mostly fiction titles; things I used to buy but haven't lately due to space. But then the library comes into play again! I've just been borrowing library books while I decide. Just so conflicted!

Someone help!

Mama to my beautiful boys born 6/29/06, 7/29/08, & 11/09/10.
#76 of 104 Old 05-29-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becoming View Post
I absolutely love my Kindle 2. My only complaint is that they weren't invented when I was younger, childless, & had all the time in the world to read.
me too!!

I also am a knitter and love that I can put pdf patterns on my Kindle so I have them with me whereever I'm going without having to print it out (and lose pages like I always seem to do ). the pdf print is small, but do-able for me.

I keep thinking how perfect it would have been when I was in college (with the ability to write notes and all that) but I wonder if it would have worked, really, because there's no page numbers... so referencing it might be tough. I noticed they have some textbooks on kindle, too. That would have just been so awesome. Plus I spent *so* much time reading papers that were pdfs... I could have had them all on my kindle instead of in so many binders...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

#77 of 104 Old 05-29-2010, 11:52 AM

I want the Nook sooo badly!

I have an iPod Touch and use the Kindle and B&N apps. So far I prefer the B&N app. The big draw to me with the B&N app and Nook is that B&N keeps everything on your 'online library' so once you buy a book you can access it from your Nook, touch, blackberry, PC/Mac, or anywhere you have the B&N ereader. And as a homeschooler it is AWESOME that they have GoogleBooks. : The library thing also sold me on it. And the lendme. Oh me oh my I want a Nook so badly!

As for the apps- I haven't bought a book yet as there are so many free. My one complaint is that the GoogleBooks do have typos but that is to be expected from the scanning so sometimes it takes me a minute to understand that EOSES is ROSES. It's easier to find Kindle free books but the B&N layout and options makes it worth the extra effort, IMO. I love that I can change the font and have several color options. I read everything in Georgia with light blue on blue. I really do love it! PLUS all of the B&N classics which I love in paperback and will own in paperback are only $1.99! Of course you can get almost all of them for free via GoogleBooks but spending the little money makes the layout much better and there are no typos.

*sigh* Can't wait to be able to get a Nook. I LOVE reading with a 'real' book but you know I am trying to simplify and get rid of clutter, not use up so much in physical resources, and save money. Though the initial cost is steep for a cheap-o like me how much I would save on new books makes it so worth it!

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#78 of 104 Old 05-29-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
I want the Nook sooo badly!

I have an iPod Touch and use the Kindle and B&N apps. So far I prefer the B&N app. The big draw to me with the B&N app and Nook is that B&N keeps everything on your 'online library' so once you buy a book you can access it from your Nook, touch, blackberry, PC/Mac, or anywhere you have the B&N ereader.
my kindle 2 manual said you can do this, too... any kindle or kindle app that's registered to your amazon account.

They also give you an e-mail address to e-mail pdfs to to put them on your kindle or whatever app, but they all stay on your online account, too.

#79 of 104 Old 05-29-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
my kindle 2 manual said you can do this, too... any kindle or kindle app that's registered to your amazon account.

They also give you an e-mail address to e-mail pdfs to to put them on your kindle or whatever app, but they all stay on your online account, too.
I can read all of my Kindle library on my Kindle, my computer, and my iPod Touch. They even sync to the last page read, which is nice because I frequently switch from reading on my Kindle outside during the day to using my ipod in bed at night. I have a book light for the Kindle, but it seems to more distracting to my cosleeping toddler than the light from the ipod.

I absolutely love Kindle and love that Amazon has so many free books, not just classics but also limited time freebies of newer books, too.
#80 of 104 Old 05-29-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Sage View Post

I absolutely love Kindle and love that Amazon has so many free books, not just classics but also limited time freebies of newer books, too.
Yeah, I noticed that, too!

#81 of 104 Old 05-29-2010, 10:59 PM

FYI...for those who are interested in the Sony Reader, I saw that my Target has it tonight.

lady.gif
#82 of 104 Old 05-29-2010, 11:03 PM

For those of you who are interested in classics, the Stanza eReader app for iPhone/iPod Touch (not sure about iPad) is free and you can pull stuff from a variety of places including Project Gutenburg (probably the biggest source of the free classics in basic format). What I really like about this app is how you just swipe your finger across the page and the page actually "flips." I use this to read on my iPhone. I only have an 8G iPhone and Kindle takes up too much room. I almost always have my Kindle on me if I wanted to read on it.

lady.gif
#83 of 104 Old 05-29-2010, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Wow this thread really took off!

My birthday is the last day in June. I seriously doubt my parents will get me one, but I mentioned that I wanted one I will have to wait and see

If I ever get these medical bills paid off, maybe I can buy one myself

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#84 of 104 Old 05-29-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyflakes View Post
Wow this thread really took off!

My birthday is the last day in June. I seriously doubt my parents will get me one, but I mentioned that I wanted one I will have to wait and see

If I ever get these medical bills paid off, maybe I can buy one myself
Well, if you want a Kindle, you can always ask for Amazon gift cards for b-days/holidays, so you can buy it when you have enough. That's what at least one person I know did. Then they also always have an easy gift they can get you - Amazon gift cards!

lady.gif
#85 of 104 Old 05-30-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:

Totally didn't realize that! Thanks!

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#86 of 104 Old 06-04-2010, 03:49 PM

I got a Nook as a belated Mother's Day present and i LOVE it so far. Its so nice to be able to read and hold a sleeping child on your lap and not have to struggle to turn pages. What really made us decide on one was a great sales guy who spent 2 hours thoroughly going over every question and really showing us how it works. Now I am just waiting on my cover to be delivered from Amazon.com. He actually suggested if at any point I think I might get a light I look for covers other than what B&N sell because they hold the light as well. Now I am just waiting to upload some pics and a few other things to make it MINE.
#87 of 104 Old 06-04-2010, 04:11 PM

One thing we use on the Kindle that I didn't expect to is the read-aloud text-to-speech function.

The male voice option is not as nice as a book read by the author on cd or mp3, but not so robotic that we don't use it.

I bought the complete Fairy Books of Andrew Lang, for example, (the Blue Fairy Book, etc) for $2.99 (cheap because it is avail for free through Project Gutenberg) and my sons listen to it sometimes in the car or at bedtime with headphones. Way cheaper than buying books on cd and just about any title is available when you want it, except for a few very recent ones.

It is also rather nice to be able to take a book that you are reading in the car, set it to play text-to-speech, and keep going with it, then switch back to reading it when you get home.
#88 of 104 Old 06-04-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post
One thing we use on the Kindle that I didn't expect to is the read-aloud text-to-speech function.

The male voice option is not as nice as a book read by the author on cd or mp3, but not so robotic that we don't use it.

I bought the complete Fairy Books of Andrew Lang, for example, (the Blue Fairy Book, etc) for $2.99 (cheap because it is avail for free through Project Gutenberg) and my sons listen to it sometimes in the car or at bedtime with headphones. Way cheaper than buying books on cd and just about any title is available when you want it, except for a few very recent ones.

It is also rather nice to be able to take a book that you are reading in the car, set it to play text-to-speech, and keep going with it, then switch back to reading it when you get home.
I do that too... or if I have to wash the dishes or cook dinner, I'll put on the text-to-speech...

#89 of 104 Old 06-05-2010, 02:57 PM

Subbing. Want to come back and read this thread later! I am thinking about getting a Kindle. Just not sure if it is worth the money though.

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

#90 of 104 Old 06-08-2010, 12:31 AM

So I did it-I bought myself a Nook. I ended up doing the Nook just because I could buy it in person & it does work with some local libraries. I really don't think there is enough of a difference between the Kindle/Nook/Sony & I know I would be just as happy with any of them.

I LOVE that I can hold it & click to turn the page all in one hand while nursing or nursing/cosleeping. I got the little light that clips on too & it is wonderful!

I threw some of my own pics on it for wallpaper/screensavers & also uploaded some music too.

My 1st ebook was the new/final Stieg Larrson-The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest. I had been waiting for months for it to come out & I just can't rave enough about how enjoyable it is to be able to read so easily while holding the baby or being in bed with the baby.

Right now-B&N is also giving a $50 gift card with the purchase.

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page