Do you have a Kindle/Nook? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 104 Old 04-26-2010, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If so, do you like it? Pros? Cons? I am coveting one

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#2 of 104 Old 04-26-2010, 10:59 PM

I have a nook. It works great. I have never tried the other ones out there. But when you get a nook you get free 3G on it for forever, so you can download books anywhere you happen to want to, lie in an airport when you finish yours . We have had a few minor technical issues, nothing bad, easily fixed with suggestions online. Just don't buy cookbooks on it. For some reason the recipes do not show up right on it. No idea why.
#3 of 104 Old 04-26-2010, 11:09 PM

I have the kindle app on my iPhone and I love it. It gets me in trouble, though, b/c a new book is just a couple clicks away. I bought one fri night and didn't do much besides read until I finished it sat. evening. So much for housework or homework! I know people do the same with paper books - but it's just so easy to download something that minute and start reading right away.

There are lots of sites/articles on the web that compare the two devices - when I was looking at them I decided on the kindle b/c of the amount of books available... but by now I'm guessing nook publications have increased.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#4 of 104 Old 04-26-2010, 11:12 PM

I have a Kindle, have for a couple years. Still using my gen 1, but if it ever dies, I'll get another Kindle. I LOVE it! I had a couple issues with it early on and twice I was shipped a new one overnight. Amazon has notoriously good customer service. I expect the Kindle 2 has fewer issues, as that is generally the case as technology gets revamped. The internet is relatively fast and has come in quite handy on many many occasions. Book downloads are a breeze, relatively inexpensive and have pretty extensive choices.

"Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free, 'tis the gift to come down where you ought to be."
#5 of 104 Old 04-27-2010, 01:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've had my Kindle for about a year now and I love it! It can sometimes be a little too easy to buy a new book (stuck in the waiting room at the dentist, sitting on the ferry, etc.) so my bank account doesn't always like it. I didn't think I'd like it that much since I love my paperbacks, but I'm really glad I got one.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#6 of 104 Old 04-27-2010, 01:09 AM

Not to confuse the issue but my dh loves his Sony e-reader. Both the Sony and the Nook are available at Best Buy so you can touch and handle them.
#7 of 104 Old 04-27-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sonja View Post
I've had my Kindle for about a year now and I love it! It can sometimes be a little too easy to buy a new book (stuck in the waiting room at the dentist, sitting on the ferry, etc.) so my bank account doesn't always like it. I didn't think I'd like it that much since I love my paperbacks, but I'm really glad I got one.
Um, yeah to all of that. Especially the bolded part.

DH got me a Kindle 2 near when they first came out as an Anniversary + Birthday + Mother's Day gift. It was one of the best gifts ever!

I love being able to carry so many books around with me at once. I just checked and my Kindle says I have 289 items in there. Many of them are samples that I want to purchase but have somehow managed to hold off on. You can purchase form a link in the sample, so I'm using them as my wishlist. But I love that I am essentially carrying multiple bookshelves with me wherever I go.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#8 of 104 Old 04-27-2010, 11:11 AM

I have had a Kindle 1 for two years and I LOVE it. No complaints at all. I have reread all the old classics (free) and then lots of free books that the publisher offers to get you hooked on the series. (This is very effective!)

The only con I have is the placement of the buttons on Kindle 1, which they fixed with Kindle 2.
#9 of 104 Old 04-27-2010, 11:16 AM

I got a Kindle 2 a couple weeks ago, and so far I love it. I was going back and forth between the Kindle and the Sony e-reader, but DH made up my mind for me by surprising me with the Kindle for my birthday.

I love the whole experience of holding a book in my hand, seeing the cover, feeling the paper, so I wasn't sure I'd love it, but I do! Once you adjust, it does feel like you are looking at a page of paper as you read, and it is so incredibly light to hold. I used to prop my book up on a pillow while I nursed my LO so my arm didn't get tired; now I hold the kindle right in front of me, and it never feels heavy. It is very easy to buy books, and they are relatively inexpensive. If you like classics, you'll be able to find plenty of titles for free. Internet access works well (DH and I were both surprised that it includes free web access - I had thought only wikipedia was available). Speech to text isn't something I'd want to listen to very often (the mechanical voice just is not a substitute for a good audio book), but it could be a handy feature.

Here's what I don't like:
- Kindle is not compatible with my library's e-book system. Sony's e-reader is.
- If I want an e-book that is in the public domain, I have to pay Amazon to convert it to a format the kindle can read. The fee, I understand is small (10 cents), but the priciple bothers me.
- As far as I can tell, there is no way to organize my books on the kindle device. All of the titles I have are in one long list. I can sort the list, but I can't break it down into different bookshelves. I do have an archive folder, but to put books there, you have to move it off your kindle and store it on amazon's server. Storing books I've paid for on someone else's server doesn't sit right with me. (Please, someone correct me if I have this wrong - I'm still figuring this out.)
- As far as I can tell, I can't give or sell my used kindle books to anyone else. I LOVE sharing a good book with a friend. I understand the need to prevent people from making copies of a book - I don't want to be able to do that - but I would like to be able to give a book away when I'm done with it. When you think about re-use potential, the relatively inexpensive cost of those e-books starts to seem like less of a bargain - before my 2 sisters and I could all use a single $14 trade paperback. Now if I spend $10 on one, and my sisters want to read it, they'll need to buy their own copies.
#10 of 104 Old 04-27-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen'nZoe View Post
- If I want an e-book that is in the public domain, I have to pay Amazon to convert it to a format the kindle can read. The fee, I understand is small (10 cents), but the priciple bothers me.
There is a free way, too. It's not instant like if you send it to the other address and it doesn't get sent directly to your Kindle. If you want them to do it all for you, that's where the fee comes in.

To Do it Free:

1. You send it to yourkindleemailname@free.kindle.com
2. They convert it & send a link to your emaill addy. (receipt times vary)
3. You click the link to download the file.
4. Hook up your Kindle to your puter and drag and drop the file to your Kindle and then in to your Documents folder on your Kindle

And you're done!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...0375630&#email
Sending Personal Documents to Kindle
Quote:
To avoid a fee, or if you're not in wireless range, you can send an e-mail to "name"@free.kindle.com and download the files via USB in a Kindle compatible format to the device(s).
Hahaha. They used to have a bigger section about the free way than that. lol

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#11 of 104 Old 04-27-2010, 12:20 PM

I've had one for 2 years, but I quit using my kindle when the iphone app came out last year.
#12 of 104 Old 04-27-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
I've had one for 2 years, but I quit using my kindle when the iphone app came out last year.
Oh if you gave up the Kindle the app must really be good, then! They finally came out with a Blackberry one and it doesn't work with my Curve. Sigh.

#13 of 104 Old 04-27-2010, 12:59 PM

I have a Kindle 2 and I love it! No complaints. It completes me.

I'm actually surprised to hear that people would rather read on an iPhone. I don't like reading anything that is back-lit and I don't like how small the screen is.
#14 of 104 Old 04-27-2010, 01:11 PM

I have the big style Kindle. I it!

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
#15 of 104 Old 04-27-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah W View Post
I have a Kindle 2 and I love it! No complaints. It completes me.

I'm actually surprised to hear that people would rather read on an iPhone. I don't like reading anything that is back-lit and I don't like how small the screen is.
I don't mind it, but I do tend to switch the background to black with white text to read easier in bed when it's dark. The good thing about the iphone app is that you don't need a light to read - I use it a lot on car trips when it's night time.

The smaller screen is fine with me b/c I only read a sentence or two at a time, yk? I think it helps me as a speed reader because I can glance at what's on my screen and comprehend it w/o all the worlds before and after that section, if that makes sense. Plus, it fits in my back pocket so I can pull it out to read for a few seconds here and there when I have the chance.

That said, I've never had an actual Kindle so I can't really compare the two - but that's b/c I just don't see any reason to buy one when the app was free and I'm super happy with it.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#16 of 104 Old 04-27-2010, 01:23 PM

I love my kindle 2! The only thing that bothers me is that its not back lit so if I'm reading in bed late at night (it is way to easy to download new books!) and don't want to disturb my husband, I have to use a book light. I also like that the kindle is sturdy. I've dropped it twice from the car onto the parking garage concrete and it was fine (covered in the standard black kindle cover).

We linked my account with the husband's iphone and he loves that. He says it's easy to read on the screen and he hates to carry stuff so he wouldn't carry along a separate kindle device.

Actually, now that I think about it, reference/text type books are a bit harder to deal with at first (but I've gotten used to it). I have to make notes regarding location numbers for certain areas. You could use the search feature, but it gets tricky if you are searching for a common phrase.
#17 of 104 Old 04-27-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofgrace View Post
There is a free way, too. ...
Thank you, thank you!

Was I right that there is no way to organize your titles?

Also, I just read somewhere that the Nook allows you to transfer ownership of a book you are done with to someone else. Nook owners, is this true?
#18 of 104 Old 04-27-2010, 05:02 PM

subbing so i can come back later and read

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#19 of 104 Old 04-27-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
As far as I can tell, there is no way to organize my books on the kindle device. All of the titles I have are in one long list. I can sort the list, but I can't break it down into different bookshelves.
Yeah. Currently we can only sort by most recent, title, author, personal docs, subscriptions & books. Basically all I have are books, so I also have a very long 289 item list.

I am fairly certain I read that they are looking at adding bookshelves, but I don't remember if the plan is for adding them in a software update (so all of us can use it) or if it is for a new kindle. Now I'm curious and have to check!! lol

#20 of 104 Old 04-27-2010, 05:12 PM

LOL!! I posted this exact same question back during Christmas.

I ended up with a Nook...which I love. It just got updated with a new version via satellite, no new purchase needed.

Also..you can buy a new battery for the Nook when the old one won't charge anymore. ($14.95). With a Kindle you can't do that. You will have to buy a whole new Kindle unless you get the two year warranty..and then you still can't replace the battery. They will send you a new one.

What else?.....hmmmm.....it connects to the internet so you can browse, check e-mail also down load other stuff besides books like music or whatever. It has screen savers too that you can pick from or you can download your own files for that.

You also get lots of freebie downloads. It's fun to take to a Barnes and Noble store, gives you recommendations, tell you what's in the store, and other stuff.

The two cons I have found is that the Kindle has more books, but still the Nook has over a million selections and they add more all the time... AND you will be able to get periodicals pretty soon too. Another con is that it doesn't have the audio book function on it like the Kindle. But on the Kindle that function only applies to certain books, not all of them.

Oh yeah..it has a lending feature. You can lend a book to another Nook owner. You can lend that title once to one person.

I love my Nook..I am so glad I got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crazy mom of 9. grouphug.gif  A wife to one.  flowersforyou.gif

-Life is a long lesson in humility.-

James M. Barrie

#21 of 104 Old 04-27-2010, 06:18 PM

I've had my Kindle since January, and I adore it! It's very easy to use, almost every book I've wanted has been available, it's cheaper to buy books on there than in stores, etc. SO great!!

I lent it to my mom a few weeks ago, and she loved it too -- so much that I bought her one for Mother's Day.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#22 of 104 Old 04-27-2010, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Not being able to get a new battery concerns me. That is probably enough to keep me from getting a Kindle. I would probably use it a lot- I read a ton, and if I have to shell out the money for a brand new one every time I run out the battery- that stinks!

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#23 of 104 Old 04-27-2010, 10:00 PM

The batteries do live a long time, though. Like - years. So not toooo frequent.

#24 of 104 Old 04-27-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo7 View Post
Also..you can buy a new battery for the Nook when the old one won't charge anymore. ($14.95). With a Kindle you can't do that. You will have to buy a whole new Kindle unless you get the two year warranty..and then you still can't replace the battery. They will send you a new one.
Actually, I don't think this is true - Amazon sells a replacement battery for the Kindle 2 on their site. It was hard to find, but it is there: http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Amazon...tp_st_edpp_url
#25 of 104 Old 04-28-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen'nZoe View Post
Actually, I don't think this is true - Amazon sells a replacement battery for the Kindle 2 on their site. It was hard to find, but it is there: http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Amazon...tp_st_edpp_url
Thanks for the link!!
#26 of 104 Old 04-28-2010, 11:17 AM

Bunnyflakes -- this may be obvious but I feel the need to mention that it is a rechargeable battery which lasts about 2 weeks per charge. I do understand your concern, but it seems to be a great battery. )
#27 of 104 Old 04-28-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYCat View Post
Bunnyflakes -- this may be obvious but I feel the need to mention that it is a rechargeable battery which lasts about 2 weeks per charge. I do understand your concern, but it seems to be a great battery. )
Oh good point!!! And the latest software update rocked because it made the battery use less resources, so it lasts longer.

#28 of 104 Old 04-28-2010, 11:42 AM

Thanks for all the info! When you store a book on your computer, do you just copy it over? Or is there a process for moving it over?

I looked into the sharing issue and actually emailed Amazon about it. They said that when you purchase an ebook, you do not actually 'own' the book. You are purchasing the rights to access the book through your kindle. When you purchase a book for your kindle, a serial number is embedded in the book. The serial number is tied to your kindle, so the book will not open on any kindle not tied to your amazon account. In fact, if for any reason your amazon account was deleted, or if you untied the kindle from your current account and tied it to a different account, you would no longer have access to the books you yourself purchased.

On further research, there are programs you can use to remove the serial number from the book and convert it to another format so it could be shared with friends, but my guess would be that this is not legal.
#29 of 104 Old 04-28-2010, 12:52 PM

Apparently the iPad has some very cool e-reading capabilities. I know it's a more expensive option, but dang, it can do some cool stuff. We're getting the 3G iPad, which I believe will be on the market in a couple of days.

Check out Alice in Wonderland e-reading on the iPad! So cool.
#30 of 104 Old 04-28-2010, 03:49 PM

I've had my Kindle 2 for a little more than a year and I am still in love.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page