New Babies documentary - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 05-20-2010, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
if you can go to a week day matinee the theatre's are usually pretty empty. (my 15 month old and I had the theatre to ourselves today when we saw it, good thing too, she got excited about the babies and started doing her high pitch scream thing. If that isn't possible I think it would be okay to take your dd, anyone seeing babies would understand.

(it was so awesome by the way, I want to see it again, I have it in my netflix queue already.)

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 38 Old 05-22-2010, 11:44 PM

We just brought my almost 6 year old today. It was her first real theater experience. It was just so wonderful to chat with her about it afterwards. She was disappointed they didn't show the babies being born, though.

Holli
#33 of 38 Old 05-23-2010, 12:44 AM

i loved this movie. the best was that the theatre was filled with babies and toddlers... everyone was very well-behaved (and even when they weren't, it blended in pretty well with the movie noise).

the namibian women were daughter and mother i believe...

i loved how much time the mongolian and namibian babies spend outside, compared to the japanese and american babies, who barely seem to go outside at all. and i loved seeing how the mongolian baby spends a lot of time exploring by himself, whereas the namibian baby is always surrounded by her community. the namibian family had such a rich social life which i was really a bit jealous of... obviously there are challenges too, but the two women hung out all day chatting and doing their hair and playing with their kids...

the american and japanese moms were a lot like me ... interesting to see that even in different geographic locations, there is a huge group of people with basically the same parenting styles. i definitely learnt a lot about parenting from the namibian and mongolian moms though.

i think this is a must see for parents. i would happily watch 10 more movies following babies from different areas in the world.
#34 of 38 Old 07-12-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal_buffaloe View Post
I also appreciated that there weren't any subtitles or narration, but I did wonder about a few things. Does anybody who's seen it know if the two African mothers were co-wives? Or mother and daughter? Or just relatives/friends?
I thought I read on the Facebook page that they were sisters (or sisters in law). I was very curious to hear what they were actually saying because it seemed like they were chatting away about life(-; But that was just my curiousity, not at all necessary to the movie.

Loved it and went with my 2 kids- lots of happy giggles for them. I believe this is starting to show now in Europe. (We saw it mothers day weekend, but I just happened to see this thread searching for books for my dh to read to my 6 yo)

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#35 of 38 Old 07-12-2010, 07:32 PM

Grr, I lost my post, but I remembered that there was one part that I would have missed if I hadn't heard about it ahead of time, but did anyone notice that the Mongolian baby was tethered to the bed from time to time when the parents were out?
It is interesting (at least to me) that the majority of the movie is really of the babies alone, except maybe for the African mothers. They seemed to always be in the background going along with their lives. I know in part that this was the directors effort to catch the moments of babies, but I found it interesting how often many of the babies seemed to be very much alone.
I've felt that both of my babies required my almost constant presense by their nature, so it was a very foreign feeling to see babies alone so much. Not to say that I found myself playing baby games all the time/interacting with my child constantly, but going about life as much with a baby in a sling or whatever. And I did catch a few times where the movie showed how easy it is just to get lost in being a parent and time just goes by so quickly.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#36 of 38 Old 07-12-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laketahoemama View Post
I read an interview with the American family on the website. Hattie was born at home but had to go to the hospital later for antibiotics. On her bio it says her parents are ecologically-minded
Mom also talks about nursing her in the interview, but I was a little disappointed that there was no footage of that.
I thought it was interesting that the American baby was a homebirth, but the African baby's parents agreed to it (according to their interview on the website) entirely because the production was going to pay for prenatal care and a doctor to attend her delivery.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#37 of 38 Old 07-12-2010, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Didn't the African mother have a home birth too? I thought I saw an interview in which she said (after watching the completed movie) that she thought it was weird seeing other babies born in the hospital and that she had all ..9? of her babies "here in the village" can't remember the exact quote..

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#38 of 38 Old 07-16-2010, 11:21 PM

I loved it and think it is a great reinforcement of our AP ways - I cant wait to share it with my dds 2 and 4 who will be enthralled, I predict. The san fran and japanese worlds seemed SO excessively sterile compared to the african and mongolian.

Can someone clarify - I believe there is an EC scene - african mom holds baby out in front of her then wipes what looks to be yellow breastmilk poop on her leg, did i see that right? I am a practitioner of ec, but even in Africa I'd at least use a . . . leaf or something

mama to : my spirited star 2/06, my sweet love 5/08, and a little lovey 5/12

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page