New Babies documentary - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 05-01-2010, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was bawling within 30 seconds. Can't wait to see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vupEpNjCuY

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#2 of 38 Old 05-01-2010, 03:42 PM

I'm really excited! It looks absolutely fascinating. I love learning about other cultures, and I'm totally baby crazy, and the two are combined... what could be better?
#3 of 38 Old 05-01-2010, 03:58 PM

That looks like it will be fun to watch!

43 w/Emphysema - TTC from 2005 - 2013. 2 miscarriages in 2008. Good things do not come to those who wait.

#4 of 38 Old 05-01-2010, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
"Babies are coming"

thats encouraging!!!

i already have a babysitter so i can go see this.

DS-8/06 peace.gif
DD-5/08 innocent.gif
DD-4/12 loveeyes.gif
Due: July2014 shy.gif
semi crunchy, but getting crispier!

*** heartbeat.gif 5****10****15****20****25****30****35****40
#5 of 38 Old 05-01-2010, 05:24 PM

I got free tickets to see it from the March of Dimes for participating in the March for Babies. I am so excited to see it!

Wife of the husbandit and mommy to the wonderful G-Mack, born 1/30/2011

#6 of 38 Old 05-01-2010, 06:07 PM

I just can't. Too sad for me lately. Maybe some day.

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
#7 of 38 Old 05-01-2010, 06:34 PM

I can't wait!!!

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#8 of 38 Old 05-02-2010, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_Dawn View Post
I just can't. Too sad for me lately. Maybe some day.
Maybe soon you will have your own babies documentary at home!

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#9 of 38 Old 05-02-2010, 04:08 PM

Moved from TTC ro media...

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#10 of 38 Old 05-03-2010, 05:26 AM

I can't wait

cold.gifme + headscratch.gif him and one littlecat.gifPaco the Taco hoping for one of these  makebabe.gifin the near future

#11 of 38 Old 05-08-2010, 11:17 PM

I saw Babies today. I thought overall it was pretty good. I cried at the trailer but not at all during the movie. I thought the movie was funnier than the trailer showed. The only thing I really didn't like is that there was no narration. Just music and you could hear some background talking but there were no subtitles so I couldn't understand anything that was said by the parents except for the San Fran people. I wanted narration so I could learn about the history or why the moms were doing certain things. Nothing. I thought it was more a movie for little kids to enjoy, rather than a documentary. It was more baby observation than really learning, I thought. The Mongolian baby and the Namibian babies were riots!!! Just the best parts of the movie. All in all, it wasn't what I expected but it was decent.

And FYI- at one point the Mongolian mom
lightly spanked her baby (maybe 10 or 11mo). Not hard and the baby didn't cry but you could tell she was mad and it was either his punishment or her anger. That bothered me. And he just spilled something on accident. I really didn't like seeing that.

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#12 of 38 Old 05-09-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchgrrl View Post
I saw Babies today.
Thanks for the review. It looked like a silent movie in the trailers I've seen, which is why I won't pay theatre prices to see it, but I'm glad I'll enjoy it on DVD.

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

#13 of 38 Old 05-09-2010, 10:45 PM

I saw this movie today and thoroughly enjoyed it. My husband also liked it. For it being a silent movie, I was totally enthralled with it. Who doesn't love watching babies??

Christy wash.gif Mom to DS 4/21/04 reading.gif DD 9/20/09  dust.gif DD 7/2/11jog.gif

#14 of 38 Old 05-09-2010, 11:28 PM

DH & I went to see it today, too. I loved it being silent--for me narration would have detracted. I also really enjoyed listening to the reactions and moods of the rest of the audience. I see very few movies in the theater, and this is one I knew I wanted to see on the big screen. The visuals were stunning and I love baby watching. Plus the music was really good.

I had a sense from the trailers and what I read that there wouldn't be narration. I think I read somewhere that the filmmaker was trying to document the baby's lives from a baby's view point, so with that aim, silence made sense to me. JMO.

Ru , wife to DH . Astin (4/26/10) & Ember (5/19/10).
I have lost my dreams--Dar Williams
#15 of 38 Old 05-09-2010, 11:54 PM

Is it SILENT, or can you hear the babies and what is going on around them?

Do you think my toddler will like it? He watched the youtube trailer several times when I was doing his hair yesterday morning - kept asking for more.
He's never sat thought a feature-length film. 20-30 minutes of Little Bear, and about 35-40 minutes into Fly Me to the Moon, he fell asleep. (which was the point, seeing that he was hopped up on steroids for asthma when we hunkered down with him to watch it one evening last fall.)

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#16 of 38 Old 05-10-2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
Is it SILENT, or can you hear the babies and what is going on around them?

Do you think my toddler will like it? He watched the youtube trailer several times when I was doing his hair yesterday morning - kept asking for more.
He's never sat thought a feature-length film. 20-30 minutes of Little Bear, and about 35-40 minutes into Fly Me to the Moon, he fell asleep. (which was the point, seeing that he was hopped up on steroids for asthma when we hunkered down with him to watch it one evening last fall.)
I saw it today and really enjoyed it. It's not entirely accurate to call it a silent film. There are plenty of sounds in the movie - parents/adults speaking, animal sounds, music, baby babbling/crying/laughing. It just so happens there's no narration. That's because the movie is from the POV of the babies and the adults are just background players.

Your toddler might like it but I don't know if he'll sit through it all since it's about 80 mins long.
#17 of 38 Old 05-10-2010, 02:12 AM

Love love loved it!!

Saw it Friday night and it has been on my mind ever since, especially when I'm interacting with my toddler. I would love to see even more footage (I read they have 100+ hours filmed for each baby.) I laughed, I cried, I had a lot of "awww" moments.

It isn't entirely silent. There is ambient noise and the background dialogue of whatever the parents are saying. But no subtitles so I didn't know what the non-English speakers were saying (I wish I could know!) And there is some non-intrusive soundtrack music.

This kind of movie is so my cup of tea though, babies, cultural interest, fantastic cinematography, babies.... I feel like I definitely learned something about parenting from seeing all the differences. Not necessarily anything concrete, but just an idea of how I want my attitude towards motherhood to be.

ASusan - My almost-two year old is VERY into babies (her favorite youtube is the evian roller babies commercial) and I think she'd love this movie but not have the attention span to sit and watch the whole thing at once. But there is nothing violent or scary or even loud in the movie, so there's no reason not to try!!
#18 of 38 Old 05-10-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchgrrl View Post
I saw Babies today. I thought overall it was pretty good. I cried at the trailer but not at all during the movie. I thought the movie was funnier than the trailer showed. The only thing I really didn't like is that there was no narration. Just music and you could hear some background talking but there were no subtitles so I couldn't understand anything that was said by the parents except for the San Fran people. I wanted narration so I could learn about the history or why the moms were doing certain things. Nothing. I thought it was more a movie for little kids to enjoy, rather than a documentary. It was more baby observation than really learning, I thought. The Mongolian baby and the Namibian babies were riots!!! Just the best parts of the movie. All in all, it wasn't what I expected but it was decent.

And FYI- at one point the Mongolian mom
lightly spanked her baby (maybe 10 or 11mo). Not hard and the baby didn't cry but you could tell she was mad and it was either his punishment or her anger. That bothered me. And he just spilled something on accident. I really didn't like seeing that.
Thanks for the review...trying now to decide if I want to see it in the theater or wait for it on DVD...

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#19 of 38 Old 05-10-2010, 10:55 PM

Loved it! Went with my family on Mother's Day, including dd who is three and was enthralled the whole time! I think she especially loved to see all the nursing babies on the big screen!

I thought it was beautiful, sweet and I also found subtly critical of our (Western) assumptions about how babies should be raised. In fact, leaving the movie theatre, my dd picked up a piece of popcorn off the floor and I said "Don't put that in your mouth!" and then instantly I thought of the Mongolian boy playing with the sheep innards, or the Namibian girl chewing on a bone she found in the dirt, and I thought, "Well, what the heck, huh?"

It's not a silent film at all as a PP said, it just isn't narrated the way a conventional documentary would be, and even the dialogue is sort of incidental to the film. But the music is beautiful and the cinematography is gorgeous.

Mama to a beautiful girl since May 2007 and a beautiful boy since August 2010! :
#20 of 38 Old 05-11-2010, 07:37 PM

I saw it Sunday and thought it was really beautifully done; I'd highly recommend it.

It was really just incredibly fascinating seeing how similar and how different the babies are across four continents. Especially because of the way it's done, probably what you take away depends quite a bit on your prior experiences and expectations going in. I could tell that some audience members were just horrified at parts, and others saw it as just a bunch of cute footage, and others as a comment on the differences between rasing babies in first and third world countries.

I also appreciated that there weren't any subtitles or narration, but I did wonder about a few things. Does anybody who's seen it know if the two African mothers were co-wives? Or mother and daughter? Or just relatives/friends?

reading.gif, mama to Amelie (May 2010), early loss (October 2011), and James (September 2012) vbac.gif

#21 of 38 Old 05-11-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal_buffaloe View Post
I saw it Sunday and thought it was really beautifully done; I'd highly recommend it.

It was really just incredibly fascinating seeing how similar and how different the babies are across four continents. Especially because of the way it's done, probably what you take away depends quite a bit on your prior experiences and expectations going in. I could tell that some audience members were just horrified at parts, and others saw it as just a bunch of cute footage, and others as a comment on the differences between rasing babies in first and third world countries.

I also appreciated that there weren't any subtitles or narration, but I did wonder about a few things. Does anybody who's seen it know if the two African mothers were co-wives? Or mother and daughter? Or just relatives/friends?
I wonder too how the reactions would differ depending on whether you have children. i saw the trailer with some childless friends, and they were HORRIFIED that people were laughing when the Namibian baby has the tantrum, and when the Japanese baby gets frustrated from her stacking toy. I personally thought that both scenes were hilarious because my kids have done both a million times.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#22 of 38 Old 05-12-2010, 01:35 PM

I loved the movie as well! Beautifully done and the Mongolian and African baby were just hilarious! There's lots of nursing scenes too, which I think is great for the average mainstream American to see. They made it seem totally normal and just a part of every day life. There's even a tandem nursing scene and a scene where the African baby is nursing while standing up-- mom stops walking and just bends forward so she can nurse for a second! We never see the American baby nurse though-- she gets fed with a bottle at one point. They don't seem like a super mainstream family though-- I'm pretty sure they were cosleeping, dad wore baby in an Ergo, and baby didn't have a ton of toys and the ones she did have were mostly wooden (and they were in San Fran). Lots of babywearing in the movie as well!

Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
Mom to Conner (8/19/03) and Parker (5/23/09)::::
#23 of 38 Old 05-12-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
We never see the American baby nurse though-- she gets fed with a bottle at one point. They don't seem like a super mainstream family though-- I'm pretty sure they were cosleeping, dad wore baby in an Ergo, and baby didn't have a ton of toys and the ones she did have were mostly wooden (and they were in San Fran).
I read an interview with the American family on the website. Hattie was born at home but had to go to the hospital later for antibiotics. On her bio it says her parents are ecologically-minded
Mom also talks about nursing her in the interview, but I was a little disappointed that there was no footage of that.

Christy wash.gif Mom to DS 4/21/04 reading.gif DD 9/20/09  dust.gif DD 7/2/11jog.gif

#24 of 38 Old 05-12-2010, 06:04 PM

Just thinking out loud...but I wonder if the lack of nursing footage for the American baby might have been partly an editorial choice? To emphasize the cultural attitude differences in breastfeeding?
Anyone know how the baby was actually fed?

Heather, DW to Clyf: & ::: Mama to Bridget: 3/22/05 CP: & Braden:7/12/08 Retired EPer-27mos:
#25 of 38 Old 05-18-2010, 02:41 PM

We saw it this weekend with DS, who is 31 mos. It kept his attention pretty well through the entire film. For 3 days, he kept telling people that he saw a movie about babies. (That's about all he could report.)

I think it's neat that the first movie he saw in a theater was Babies.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#26 of 38 Old 05-18-2010, 03:32 PM

I haven't seen the movie yet, but a friend of mine saw it on Mothers Day. She said it was cute except for "all the National Geographic boobies." It makes me sad that she was bothered by the nursing in the movie. I don't like that nursing is so taboo or "National Geographic" in America. It's almost like some people think it is uncivilized to nurse in public.
#27 of 38 Old 05-18-2010, 04:32 PM

I took my daughter this weekend, and she loved it! She was so silent the whole time (which was my fear). The only time she said anything was in the scene where the Japanese baby had her feet written on. Let's just say we had a little "incident" involving a stamp pad and my daughter's feet and footprints all over my rug recently, so she piped up (very loudly) saying "We do NOT write on our feet, Mommy!"

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#28 of 38 Old 05-19-2010, 07:00 PM

I am goign to see this tomorrow, thanks for the reviews. It has made me thatmuch more excited. I am taking my 15 month old and hoping she will nap through most of it, but I have a feeling the babies will hold her interest pretty well if she wakes up

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#29 of 38 Old 05-20-2010, 11:02 AM

Oh, I can't wait to see this! It isn't playing in any theaters near me, so I'm afraid I'll have to wait until it comes out on DVD. I have shown the preview to my 14.5 month old a few times and she is enthralled every time. I think she'll love it!

Anyone know if you can find it online somewhere?

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#30 of 38 Old 05-20-2010, 06:03 PM

nak-
i would like to go with dh & the kids tmrw nite...question for u mamas...dd1 is 2.5 & has gone to 2 movies. she loved them but a few times did comment on the scene or say something back to a character etc. if she did that here would it be ok since it will be sooo quiet? or worse since it is that style of movie?

dd2 might make some baby noises here & there but i know if i nurse her she will be fine & will either watch, nurse or sleep...

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page