Favorite book series? or books with sequals/trilogies etc... - Mothering Forums
1 2 
Books, Music, and Media > Favorite book series? or books with sequals/trilogies etc...
amcal's Avatar amcal 10:20 PM 05-28-2010
I love reading books that come in a series. Some of my favorites:
Sookie Stackhouse
The Black Dagger Brotherhood
The Argeneau series
I loved The Hunger Games and am waiting for the next book in the series - the third comes out at the end of summer.
I did read the Twilight series.

I hated the Anita Blake series - so violent and gory - just brutal.

So, I'm in need of another series. I'm not super picky. I don't care for extreme violence, horror or gore but, other than that, I'm open.

Any suggestions?

Catubodua's Avatar Catubodua 10:34 PM 05-28-2010
the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon
rhiOrion's Avatar rhiOrion 12:42 AM 05-29-2010
My interests are varied, but I love series books, too.

The Ender series - Orson Scott Card (Good fantasy/sci fi type series, and I'm not usually into that sort of thing)
Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants series - Ann Brashares (very light reading, but fun, I think)
Harry Potter (duh)
Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood, et al. (though I know I've seen that a lot of people around here don't really like those)
JessicaS's Avatar JessicaS 01:44 AM 05-29-2010
Are you mostly wanting Vampire-ish Werewolfey type of stuff?
amcal's Avatar amcal 02:36 AM 05-29-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
Are you mostly wanting Vampire-ish Werewolfey type of stuff?
I'm open to anything. It seems with the popularity of Twilight, vampire series are all the rage right now so most everything I've read since Twilight is vampire themed but, it definitely doesn't have to be. I typically just follow friends recommendations and so far, it's mostly vampire
amcal's Avatar amcal 02:37 AM 05-29-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catubodua View Post
the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon
You know, I have the first one and couldn't get through the first couple chapters. I've heard such great things about it though.....
amcal's Avatar amcal 02:37 AM 05-29-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
My interests are varied, but I love series books, too.

The Ender series - Orson Scott Card (Good fantasy/sci fi type series, and I'm not usually into that sort of thing)
Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants series - Ann Brashares (very light reading, but fun, I think)
Harry Potter (duh)
Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood, et al. (though I know I've seen that a lot of people around here don't really like those)
Can you believe I've never read Harry Potter? My DSS gave me the first couple books but, I haven't tried them yet. Hmmm......
LVale's Avatar LVale 02:40 AM 05-29-2010
Look into The Dresden Files, by Jim Butcher! Wizardry at its best!
Catubodua's Avatar Catubodua 10:57 AM 05-29-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post
You know, I have the first one and couldn't get through the first couple chapters. I've heard such great things about it though.....
funny. i really enjoyed it. i will admit, i got lost at about book 5.

i think every woman should have a Jamie Fraser in her life at some point!
Nazsmum's Avatar Nazsmum 01:24 PM 05-29-2010
I really love audio books. Call me cazy but I really loved listening to the

Little House on the Prairie books
Anne of green garbles

the little house books where very relaxing and nicely done with papa fiddle.
Traci mom23boys's Avatar Traci mom23boys 06:55 PM 05-29-2010
I loved The Hunger Games & Catching Fire- if you like the YA genre here are some suggestions:

The Carbon Diaries 2015 & TCD 2017

The City of Bones trilogy (i think)

Life AS We Knew It- trilogy

Juniper & Wise Child both by Monica Furlong (older, may be hard to find)

The City Of Ember series

Birthmarked- she is writing the sequel now

His Dark Materials series

The Goose Girl series

Harry Potter, of course. Give yourself time to get into it, I felt the world come alive in the 4th-5th book.

Adult Fiction Series:

I second (third) the Outlander series

The Clan of the Cave Bear series

Dies the Fire series

The Spellman Files

The Pillars of the Earth & the sequel World Without End both are over a thousand pages, which make it seem like a series

Happy Reading!
~traci
rhiOrion's Avatar rhiOrion 07:16 PM 05-29-2010
oh yeah! I forgot "his dark materials"!!
DaughterOfKali's Avatar DaughterOfKali 09:10 PM 05-29-2010
There's a new series coming. The first book just came out and I love it! It's call Hex Hall. It's somewhat like Harry Potter but with some differences. A girl is the main character. I can't wait til the next book comes out!
MamaKickyPants's Avatar MamaKickyPants 09:29 PM 05-29-2010
You haven't read Harry Potter? You should read it. Seriously. Read through the first two- they are more like kids books (still really good though) but I really got into it with the third. It's where the story reapply gets intricate and you start to see what an amazing weaver of stories and character that Rowling is. I am a voracious reader and the series is in my top three favourite books ever. I also really enjoyed Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. Couldn't get into Outlader series either!
raksmama's Avatar raksmama 12:35 PM 05-31-2010
The Darkfever series by Karen Marie Moning is addicting in the same way the Sookie Stackhouse books are. In spite of the cover, there is actually no actual sex! They are very suspenseful and you feel compelled to keep on reading to find out what happens next! The leading character is also from the South but the story takes place in Ireland.
The First is called Darkfever http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/.../darkfever.htm

Also good is The Mercy Thompson Series by Patricia Briggs http://www.patriciabriggs.com/books/books.shtml. Mercedes Thompson or Mercy is a Native American shape shifter, turning into a coyote and was raised by a pack of Werewolves Her universe is also similar to Sookie Stackhouse’s with vampires, werewolves, shape shifters and faeries but takes place in Washington State.

My favourite all time series has to be The Newford series by Charles De Lint http://www.sfsite.com/charlesdelint/
http://www.sfsite.com/charlesdelint/memory-desc01.htm .
His books go a lot deeper in terms of character development as well as plot. They are almost spiritual without being religious. The violence and sex in them is definitely not overly graphic.
De Lint combines Celtic and Native American mythology into his own unique style of Urban Fantasy.
mama married to my mama to my
sunnysandiegan's Avatar sunnysandiegan 02:49 AM 06-01-2010
I like the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. Easy, lighthearted reading with a twist.
Viola's Avatar Viola 03:09 AM 06-01-2010
I've mostly been reading children's books since I started volunteering at the school library, but here are some series I've read that I've enjoyed:

The Last Apprentice series by Joseph Delaney - they are a bit dark and spooky, however.
The Last Olympians series by Rick Riordan
Pretties, Uglies, Specials by Scott Westerfeld. I also read his Midnighters series
The Alex Rider novels by Anthony Horowitz - James Bondian kind of over the top spy stuff, but with a 14 year old boy as the spy.

Quote:
Life AS We Knew It- trilogy

Dies the Fire series

The Pillars of the Earth & the sequel World Without End both are over a thousand pages, which make it seem like a series
Ooh, I read Life As We Knew It and I have been looking for the others, but I couldn't find them, for some reason.

Dies the Fire, I'm up to the latest one, I think, The Sword and the Lady. I forget how many there are now. I just can't quite get into it, for some reason.

I read the related series, Island in the Sea of Time/Against the Tide of Years/On the Oceans of Eternity when they came out, and I enjoyed them, but not the sadist character. I have a hard time with violence that is too graphic, so I had to skip some scenes in Outlander and World Without End. I thought the Change world was pretty interesting in the first few books, so I'll probably slog my way to the end of this latest one.

I've heard the Bitterbynde trilogy is good, but I had to take the first book back to the library before I finished it, so I'll try it again one day.
Aquitane's Avatar Aquitane 08:41 PM 06-01-2010
This is something that's a cross between a kids' book and "young" YA. It's called the Sisters Grimm series by Michael Buckley. The eighth book just came out. I read them out loud to my fourth graders, but I seriously enjoy these books too. No sex, swearing, etc. (Not that I have problems with that in my personal reading.) Two of the characters do kiss and they are in a type of puppy love, so it's sweet. I find the books very funny. I know that some of the humor goes over some of the kids' heads. It's something light and fun that you might enjoy. Key messages are basic good versus evil and family and friends are worth fighting for. (There is also plenty "Don't judge a book by it's cover/stereotype.")
zinemama's Avatar zinemama 09:02 PM 06-01-2010
Ursula le Guin's Earthsea series (first three are A Wizard of Earthsea, The Tombs of Atuan and The Farthest Shore.)

Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials series (although I was disappointed in the last one.)

In the Bleak Midwinter and the rest of Julia Spencer-Fleming's series about an ex-army, new Episcopal priest. The first one, where Rev. Clare finds an abandoned baby on her church doorstep, is terrific, but they all are. Her growing, conflicted relationship with the local police chief is another good element.

Oh, and another really good series is Farthing, Ha'Penny, and Half a Crown. They are alternate history, set in a world where England made an alliance with Hitler instead of there being WW2.
NiteNicole's Avatar NiteNicole 01:12 AM 06-02-2010
Quote:
The Darkfever series by Karen Marie Moning is addicting in the same way the Sookie Stackhouse books are. In spite of the cover, there is actually no actual sex! They are very suspenseful and you feel compelled to keep on reading to find out what happens next! The leading character is also from the South but the story takes place in Ireland.
The First is called Darkfever http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/.../darkfever.htm
Loved this series, can't wait for the next book! And all the sex is stashed in the "companion" series of romance novels she's written.
raksmama's Avatar raksmama 04:43 PM 06-02-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post
Loved this series, can't wait for the next book! And all the sex is stashed in the "companion" series of romance novels she's written.
Although there has not been any actual sex thus far, (I am just finishing Faefever) the sexual undercurrents between the characters are just sizzling!
Just wondering NiteNicole, is her Highlander series worth reading?
NiteNicole's Avatar NiteNicole 06:03 PM 06-04-2010
I thought it was a really fun series. Most of them start off a little silly but as the series goes on, it builds the backstory for the other series. I enjoyed them. I don't often read fantasy OR romance but I'll probably read both series again before the next book comes out.
babycarrier's Avatar babycarrier 11:21 PM 06-05-2010
I'm loving the trilogy by Stieg Larrson - THe girl With the Dragon Tattoo, THe Girl who Played with Fire - and something about a hornet's nest. Found the first 200 pages to be a bit hohum but then realize why all that delicious detail is there. Good stuff.
amcal's Avatar amcal 01:04 PM 06-06-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmlife View Post
I'm loving the trilogy by Stieg Larrson - THe girl With the Dragon Tattoo, THe Girl who Played with Fire - and something about a hornet's nest. Found the first 200 pages to be a bit hohum but then realize why all that delicious detail is there. Good stuff.
My DH just bought me an ipad and dowloaded these books to it. I'm trying to get used to reading on an ipad. Hopefully these books will be so engrossing, I'll be able to overlook the fact that I'm reading on a screen instead of holding an actual book in my hand.
raksmama's Avatar raksmama 03:23 PM 06-06-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmlife View Post
I've also heard they are very good!
raksmama's Avatar raksmama 10:53 AM 06-07-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalilah View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post

Oh La la....I am now reading the 4th book Dreamfever and suddenly that all changes! What I like however is that the language is not explicit or overly graphic.

Seriously the Darkfever series is really really good! The only thing is, I would almost say wait until December when the fifth and final book comes out or else you will go crazy wondering about how it is going to end!
Starry-eyedMom's Avatar Starry-eyedMom 09:03 PM 06-07-2010
1) LOVE The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series!

2) Also for fantasy with some political intrigue, epic battles, romance, etc. Try Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel's Dart series there are also two parallel series if you like that one. They are set in "our" world but in time past.

3) Definitely read Harry Potter!

4) Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum is so fun.

5) Laurie R. King's The Beekeeper's Apprentice is a very excellent mystery series with some romance. The beekeeper is Sherlock Holmes by the way.

6) I love Dana Stabenow's Kate Shugak mystery series set in a village in Alaska. Actually played a part in my decision to move here! Strong female lead with lots of great reoccurring characters that just helps builds the believability and interest over time.
binxsmom's Avatar binxsmom 10:37 PM 06-08-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traci mom23boys View Post

~traci

I was going to suggest these 2. LOVED em.
Pinoikoi's Avatar Pinoikoi 09:41 AM 06-10-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalilah View Post

Also good is The Mercy Thompson Series by Patricia Briggs http://www.patriciabriggs.com/books/books.shtml. Mercedes Thompson or Mercy is a Native American shape shifter, turning into a coyote and was raised by a pack of Werewolves Her universe is also similar to Sookie Stackhouse’s with vampires, werewolves, shape shifters and faeries but takes place in Washington State.
I am reading this series now and enjoying it! I picked it up because the ebook was pretty cheap for #1.. Moon called Mercy I think? I am in the middle of number 2 now.

I also like the Stackhouse series.

Just finished the novelette of Twilight- Short Second Life of Bree Tanner..
Pinoikoi's Avatar Pinoikoi 09:44 AM 06-10-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starry-eyedMom View Post

6) I love Dana Stabenow's Kate Shugak mystery series set in a village in Alaska. Actually played a part in my decision to move here! Strong female lead with lots of great reoccurring characters that just helps builds the believability and interest over time.
Dana Stabenow is actually a scifi writer.. she is most famous for her Alaskan mystery books because she has so many (really it is where she makes the most money) but her scifi stuff is really excellent. Handful of Stars is #1 I think, but then there are two more after that.. Red Planet Run is #3 I think. I love the Alaskan pop culture stuff tied in with space exploration. Really unique.
1 2 

Up