How do you carry your cell phone? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 06-20-2010, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Especially if you have a bigger smart phone?

My current contract is up, and I'm contemplating moving to a smart phone. But I'm held back by how big they are. I'm just not sure how to carry the phone.

I used to love purses, but lately I'm just not into them. I'd much rather put my phone and my credit card in my pocket than carry around a big purse. It seems easier not to have a purse, especially if I'm going out for the evening. Luckily I'm waaaayyy past the stage of carrying around diapers and toys for my kids- they're capable of keeping track of their own things.

I've thought about trying a small clutch or a wristlet. Maybe a small bag won't seem as intrusive as a bigger bag?

If you have an iphone or similar, do you find that you can keep the phone in your jeans pocket? Or do you have to carry a purse?

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#2 of 27 Old 06-20-2010, 07:54 AM

My dh has one of these phones.He has it in a protective case/cover that has a clip on it to clip to his cloths.

I have a smaller phone that I put in my pocket.I don't do purses,but if I have no pocket I will use a hand bag sort of thing I got from Turkey that zips closed.I generally use the bag for my library books,so it is not small like a purse.
#3 of 27 Old 06-20-2010, 09:04 AM

I have an iPhone and, if I am wearing jeans, I can fit it in my pocket, front and back but back is more comfortable. If I am wearing something with smaller pockets or no pockets, I just carry it by hand if I do not have my purse or briefcase with me...probably not the best option as I am more likely to accidentally leave it behind...Perhaps a small zip-up wrist thing like you suggested. I actually have a wallet like that so that I can go "hands free" if needed...

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

#4 of 27 Old 06-20-2010, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Ha! I used to not carry a purse for years post-diaper bag (I think I too enchanted with the freedom of ditching the bag), but recently started carrying a small purse again. Before that, though, I did put the iPhone in my pocket a lot and still do sometimes. I also had a clip on case so I could put it on my waistband. It goes fine in my jeans pockets, though. I don't wear skin tight jeans, however : !

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#5 of 27 Old 06-20-2010, 09:36 AM

I carry mine in the outer pocket of a small messenger bag I wear across my body.
#6 of 27 Old 06-20-2010, 12:25 PM

Mine lives in the pocket in my purse. I think carrying a wristlet would be more of a hassle than a purse because you pretty much have to hold it. I can fit my iPhone in my jeans pocket pretty easily though, it's not that big.
#7 of 27 Old 06-20-2010, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
My Blackberry fits in my pocket fine. I usually carry a purse, but when I do quick errands I just take my keys, debit card, ID, and phone, and it all fits fine in my pockets.

The only thing is, since smartphones don't fold up you have to remember to lock the keypad before doing that so you don't pocket-dial someone!

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#8 of 27 Old 06-20-2010, 03:44 PM

I carry mine in my pocket. But it is a smaller phone. I don't think I would want one I could not carry in my pocket.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#9 of 27 Old 06-20-2010, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I often carry my iphone in my pocket with my debit and I put my keys in the other pocket.

BUT I have also gone back to carrying purses as the kids are able to walk and listen and if need be my oldest can carry my purse. And needless to say I buy my purses for my phone Ok well they suit me too but really they also have to function for my phone. And I bought a small little clutch purse that the strap detaches and it's also a wallet and also fits in my bigger purse. It too has a spot for my phone so sometimes I will just grab my wallet and in goes the phone and keys and I will carry it like a clutch

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30***35****40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#10 of 27 Old 06-20-2010, 04:12 PM

I carry my iPhone in the back pocket of my pants usually. I have it set to both ring and vibrate. I'm more likely to catch it ringing when I can feel it, even if I can't hear it. It may also be in the pocket under the flap of my messenger bag. I don't find that it's overly large or unwieldy.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#11 of 27 Old 06-20-2010, 06:46 PM

i made a wristlet out of some scrap material. it has 2 "compartments" inside. one is where i put my phone and the other is where i put my money & id. i also sell them on my website...

OR i put it in my back pocket. always fits there well...

~veezie~ treehugger.gif intactlact.gifjammin.gif mama to julien (1.6.06) geek.gif, lennon (2.15.08) nut.gif, & triton (12.20.09) blahblah.gif. expecting #4 (5.2012) 2ndtri.gif

#12 of 27 Old 06-20-2010, 06:53 PM

Since I am on my 3rd phone in 2 months, all from forgetting they were stuffed in my pocket (front or back) or in my knit sweatshirt jacket and putting them through the wash--I have a HUGE phone purse thingy that has a carabiner clip that I hook through my belt loop. That way it's noticeable. I can't carry purses, I always forget them everywhere. So having the carabiner clip is the best solution for me.
#13 of 27 Old 06-20-2010, 06:58 PM

In my bra (if I'm wearing one)

Whatever will be, already is...

#14 of 27 Old 06-20-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedK View Post
I always carry my phone in my bra as well and I always have issues with it not wanting to charge. If you look in the charger cord it has green in there. Like a mold or something. Do you or anyone else have this issue? I think it is from the moisture from my body heat so I have in the last 2 weeks stopping using my bra as a cell phone case. I hope my phone last another 6 months till I can get a new one...

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#15 of 27 Old 06-20-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie T View Post
I always carry my phone in my bra as well and I always have issues with it not wanting to charge. If you look in the charger cord it has green in there. Like a mold or something. Do you or anyone else have this issue? I think it is from the moisture from my body heat so I have in the last 2 weeks stopping using my bra as a cell phone case. I hope my phone last another 6 months till I can get a new one...
I've never had that issue, but much of the time I am carrying it in my hands. I don't like to carry it deep in a purse, I hate to dig for it. I can see how that might be the case thopugh if I always wore my phone in my bra. I hope your phone lasts too

#16 of 27 Old 06-20-2010, 07:47 PM

I put my blackberry in my pocket.I just lock the keypad first.I only need to carry my phone,id,debit cards or money and it all fits in my pockets.

Student mama to one awesome,talented and unique dd,15 and one amazing, sweet and strong ds,12(born with heart defect Tetralogy of Fallot,also on the autism spectrum),9 cats,and 2 gerbils.
#17 of 27 Old 06-20-2010, 07:52 PM

My XH just cracked his iPhone by carrying it in his back pocket and sitting on a hard surface forgetting the phone was there. Poor phone

#18 of 27 Old 06-20-2010, 09:38 PM

I don't like to wear my phone in my pants because I'm afraid I'll break it and because of the whole radiation issue...if it really is an issue. I usually use this purse if I'm going out. It straps across your body and holds the basics...phone, ID, CC, cash and lip gloss. I have the older version, but I hear the newer version is better. Btw, it doesn't look as cheesy as the pic shows.

Wife to Bri, mom to G (8), R (6), I (5). Expecting #4 - 8.16.11
#19 of 27 Old 06-20-2010, 10:27 PM

haha i put my phone in my bra too! (flip phone) however, i have a tiny purse, jujube be mine, it is perfect for cards/phones and thats it!

mama to one '07 and one '09
#20 of 27 Old 06-21-2010, 01:51 AM

Depends on where I am going and what I need with me.

Twice a day, every weekday, I walk DD to school. I rarely need my phone in the mornings unless I am staying to volunteer (school starts @ 7:35 am). I often need it in the afternoons (school ends @ 2 pm). I just grab my single house key (on a simple ring) for my front pocket and my iPhone slips into any pocket (back pocket works best with jeans for me, but several pairs of pants have low side pockets on one or both legs that are the most comfortable).

We walk all over our community and I do the above and add a library card to the pocket and money, when necessary.

When driving, I grab a small purse I keep hanging by the front door. For the past few weeks, it has been an itty bitty leopard-print handled purse with two main compartments under one zipper. One compartment also has a small zippered pocket. the phone goes in one main compartment sideways. The small zippered pocket holds cash and ID and AmEx (Costco) and other cards (chosen for the outing). The main compartment on that side holds my sunglass clip in a handmade fabric pouch (for prescription glasses), mini lipstick, first aid oil (tea tree+lavender+jojoba) in a teensy vial, hair band, applicator-less tampon, and keys (technically a fob for the Prius and the abovementioned single house key in simple ring). Very streamlined and simple. People are constantly commenting on how tiny my purse is and how they WISH they could carry such a small purse.

I have a slightly larger small purse that holds all of the above and my digital camera with ease. Plus a snack and paperwork (maps, invites, coupons, etc). That one has a long strap that goes over my head and shoulder for hands-free usage. It holds quite a bit more stuff, actually, but is still very tiny according to friends. I purchased it with care, specifically wanting an easy-access protective spot for my iPhone. I don't like to dig around.

When we are going somewhere all day long and I need snacks and water, etc. to last for several hours, then I use my backpack purse. It felts like a suitcase! I can fit two water bottles plus lunch and all of the above (including digital camera and iPhone, etc). It isn't that large, but I am used to small spaces.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#21 of 27 Old 06-21-2010, 02:52 AM

I have an iphone and I do carry a purse so it usually goes there. It barely, barely fits into my coach wristlet, so if need be I will stuff it in there if all I need is my debit card.

Around the house, I usually stick it in my bra,too. Except that I have boob dialed people, at not the best times, because even though you can't use the touch screen with say, gloves on, I guess any skin is as good as a finger.

DH had a 'droid and has a case with a clip he puts on his waist or pocket. It reminds me of the good old days when showing your pager was cool. Now it doesn't look so cool to me - but he needs easy access for work... and he doesn't carry a murse.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#22 of 27 Old 06-21-2010, 06:36 PM

You could likely get a cell phone "purse." It is the size of the phone and has room for your id; I take one on my morning walks in case dh needs me home early.

Nicole ****** Suede Purse Universal Cell

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#23 of 27 Old 06-22-2010, 12:50 AM

If you wear your phone next to your body your battery will not last as long.

I have this type of purse

http://shop.littlearth.com/s.nl/it.A...&category=4108 it has lasted me quite some time

Not all those who wander are lost 
#24 of 27 Old 06-22-2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedK View Post
I killed my phone last week this way. Granted, it was 89 degrees, 90% humidity and I was walking/jogging. But yeah, don't do it if there's any chance of moisture.

Candace - Mama to Molly (02/06), Max (06/08) and Maggie (03/10)
#25 of 27 Old 06-22-2010, 01:22 AM

I've always carried my phones primarily in my back pocket. I just got a smart phone today, actually, and it's not much bigger/bulkier than my 'regular' cell phone. If it's not in my back pocket, it goes in the front pocket of my diaper bag or in the cupholder in my car, lol.

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

#26 of 27 Old 07-07-2010, 05:05 PM

I have one of the HTC's...which is slightly bulkier than the iPhone so I bought a purse that has a seperate compartment where it fits nicely.

I also bought one of those longer, rectangular clip wallets that will hold it inside if I don't want to take my purse along.

But I also have a Case Logic pouch thing that it slips into and has a drawstring for closing.

Most of the time it's in the little purse pocket...or in my hand.
I'm totally in love with my new phone!! Lol.

Center
#27 of 27 Old 07-09-2010, 05:37 AM

Fits to my pocket. Always available & ready to use.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page