How do you keep track of what you read/want to read? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 07-07-2010, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do you all keep track of the evergrowing list of what you've read and want to read?

I need a better system of keeping track - my head is just not a good spot to start in lol.

I get all my books out of the library so I need to plan ahead if I want to get a new release or something by putting in a hold. I'm always forgetting to do this though.

Dani, wife to Cullen - 9/2002, mom to CJ 11/2004, Billy 12/2007 and Nora 7/2009
#2 of 25 Old 07-07-2010, 02:09 PM

If I have a book I want to read, I put it on hold at the library or add it to my amazon wish list.

I keep track of the books I read by keeping a reading log. It's nothing fancy, just a composition notebook that I keep in my nightstand. I list the title and author and note whether it's fiction or non-fiction. I also note if it was an audiobook or a book I read aloud to the kids.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#3 of 25 Old 07-07-2010, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I just have a paper that I write books and movies(I want). I'm always seeing trailers for movies that I want. Books someone will tell me and I write it down.
#4 of 25 Old 07-07-2010, 02:30 PM

check out goodreads.com. you can put all the books you've read and rate them and also put stuff on your to read list and currently reading list.
#5 of 25 Old 07-07-2010, 02:37 PM

I subscribe to Bookmarks magazine and circle anything that looks good. I keep the magazine around until I've read everything circled.
#6 of 25 Old 07-07-2010, 02:47 PM

I keep an Amazon wish list even though I get most of my books from the library. My mom's library's site has a reading list function, which I think is awesome, my library does not.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#7 of 25 Old 07-07-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alireb View Post
check out goodreads.com. you can put all the books you've read and rate them and also put stuff on your to read list and currently reading list.
I love Goodreads!!! I second this idea.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#8 of 25 Old 07-07-2010, 07:02 PM

I keep a reading journal for all the books I have read.

I go on amazon, print out the icon with a cover of the books I want to read. After I read each book - I glue the printed out cover into the journal and write a little blurb about it with a cheesy 5 start rating system included.

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#9 of 25 Old 07-07-2010, 11:49 PM

I use Good Reads

http://www.goodreads.com/

If you look at my profile you can see how you can make different lists and organize things.

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1502447

I made a list just for printing off before we go to the library.

Oh and add me if you want There is a Mothering group http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...DC_Book_Mavens

Not all those who wander are lost 
#10 of 25 Old 07-08-2010, 12:54 AM

I keep an amazon wishlist for books I want to read (even though I check out all books from the library). I have several amazon lists, actually - fiction, non-fiction, homeschooling, housekeeping, religion/faith, cooking, parenting. Whenever I hear of a book I want to read I add it to the list. Sadly, my list has over 8,000 books on it!

I keep track of books I've read with an excel spreadsheet. I list by title, author and year read. I don't list books I've read to my kids - only "adult" books. I started the list in 2001. When I remember a book I read before that I add it to the spreadhseet, and just list "prior" as the year read. The nice thing about the excel spreadsheet is that I can search by wor to look back and see if I've alrady read it. HTH!
#11 of 25 Old 07-08-2010, 01:00 AM

I have a word document on my computer that holds my list of all of the books I'm trying to get my hands on. There are hundreds on there; I'll NEVER have time to read them all.

After I read a book, I write a review on Amazon. My thoughts on the books are stored, but I don't have to take up space on my computer or in my house in order to keep track of what I've read. And it's easy to go back through what I've written if someone asks me for a recommendation or something.
#12 of 25 Old 07-08-2010, 03:51 PM

I keep a small notebook in my purse that I jot down all kinds of things in and one is books (or movies) that someone mentions or I find out about which sound interesting. I have a list on Amazon, too, and also use the "mark for later" feature on my library account. I use that when I don't actually have time to read it right now (therefore I don't want to actually request it yet).

I am going to check out goodreads!

Allison, mom to ds born May 2002
#13 of 25 Old 07-08-2010, 10:09 PM

I look for threads or post a thread like "funny chick lit?" "fantasy that isn't written for 14 year olds?" and work my way through the recommendations.
#14 of 25 Old 07-08-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
I love Goodreads!!! I second this idea.
I love Goodreads, too! I like seeing what my friends are reading... it often gives me ideas.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#15 of 25 Old 07-09-2010, 05:35 AM

I have a draft in my Gmail. We often exchange book ideas with my friends.
#16 of 25 Old 07-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
I use Good Reads

http://www.goodreads.com/

If you look at my profile you can see how you can make different lists and organize things.

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1502447

I made a list just for printing off before we go to the library.

Oh and add me if you want There is a Mothering group http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...DC_Book_Mavens

Shut up, there's an MDC group on goodreads?! Just joined it! I don't use GR as much as I would like, but I was going to post recommending it. I also use an amazon list sometimes, but I have to watch that b/c our family actually uses that for gifts and a lot of books I want to read but not own.
#17 of 25 Old 07-09-2010, 01:42 PM

I love goodreads as well! And I love that there is a goodreads iPhone app, so when I am at the library or bookstore, I can look at the books I want to read.

I tend to lose pieces of paper too easily lol.

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
#18 of 25 Old 07-09-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Margaret View Post
Shut up, there's an MDC group on goodreads?! Just joined it! I don't use GR as much as I would like, but I was going to post recommending it. I also use an amazon list sometimes, but I have to watch that b/c our family actually uses that for gifts and a lot of books I want to read but not own.
I found that to be a problem as well. SO I keep my list private, and then have a public one for gift ideas
#19 of 25 Old 07-09-2010, 08:37 PM

I use librarything and like it. I need to check out goodreads, apparently!

WOHM to DS11 and DD9, both T1Ds

#20 of 25 Old 07-09-2010, 09:46 PM

I have to say, even as an English teacher, I find it fascinating that so many people keep track of books they've read. I don't know any adults who do this! Anyway, I use my Amazon wish list to keep track.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#21 of 25 Old 07-10-2010, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceychev View Post
I have to say, even as an English teacher, I find it fascinating that so many people keep track of books they've read. I don't know any adults who do this! Anyway, I use my Amazon wish list to keep track.
Well, I only started in 2001, when I realized I would pick up a book thinking I hadn't read it and get 1/4 of the way into it and realize I had. I wish someone had suggested the idea to me as a child, there are so many books I read that I can't remember the titles. I keep a list for each of my kids, too. If books I've read aloud to them. And I just started keeping track of books my older two read to themselves. I don't put series books, though, like magic treehouse, just stand alone books.
#22 of 25 Old 07-10-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
Well, I only started in 2001, when I realized I would pick up a book thinking I hadn't read it and get 1/4 of the way into it and realize I had. I wish someone had suggested the idea to me as a child, there are so many books I read that I can't remember the titles. I keep a list for each of my kids, too. If books I've read aloud to them. And I just started keeping track of books my older two read to themselves. I don't put series books, though, like magic treehouse, just stand alone books.
Very good point.

I do have to say it's something that I was taught to teach my students to do. I always thought it was more of a tally to make non-avid readers feel like they were accomplishing something with independent reading over the school year, as well as to keep track of authors and genres they liked to make picking new books easier. I'm kind of impressed with the functionality that you all get out of it!

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#23 of 25 Old 07-10-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceychev View Post
Very good point.

I do have to say it's something that I was taught to teach my students to do. I always thought it was more of a tally to make non-avid readers feel like they were accomplishing something with independent reading over the school year, as well as to keep track of authors and genres they liked to make picking new books easier. I'm kind of impressed with the functionality that you all get out of it!
Noone ever suggested it to me. And I was a regular at the library, and my grandmother (who always gave me books for every Christmas and birthday) had a phd in english lit, and never said anything about it either. When I came up with the idea way back when, I thought I was some sort of renegade - LOL! I didn't realize people kept track. And honestly, most of my friends who are big readers, IRL, don't. I try not to read things twice, I'm not going to get to all the books I want to read before I die as it is. I know some people will reread things with no problem
#24 of 25 Old 07-11-2010, 08:22 PM

I have also kept a reading journal since 2004. I write the title, author, date read and a few sentences about what I thought of it. I love going back and seeing what I have read over the years.

I keep track of what I want to read using my wish list on www.paperbackswap.com. I LOVE this site! I am also on Good Reads but I use PBS more.

~traci

~Traci, wife to DH 4-88. Mom to 3 homebirthed sons, 22,20&17

The Blue Door Farmhouse & traci.mymomentis.biz

#25 of 25 Old 07-12-2010, 07:00 PM

On keeping track of what I've read: I never do, but think I probably should. It's a little annoying to get started on a book you're excited about and then realize you've already read it and it was "meh."

On keeping track of what I want to read, I have a fail proof system: Write down lists of books on tiny scraps of paper, reciepts, bills, etc and shove them into purse, backpack, planner, etc. Find said lists later in dryer, bottom of purse or jean pocket and get excited because now I have a list of books to read and it's a big surprise!

On second thought, maybe I need to work on my method.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page