Calling all old school sci fan/fantasy readers! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 111 Old 07-28-2010, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmmm...I might take 'old school' out of the title. I personally meant 'all the books I never got to read in my late teens/20s because I was busy reading other stuff'

Is there a general difference, ya think, between current spec fic and the older (10, 20 yrs ago) works? I see more female authors (and more vampire books)...
#62 of 111 Old 07-28-2010, 06:01 PM

I started reading spec fic in the late 70s/early 80s, but most of what I was reading was a lot older. The biggest trends I've noticed were/are the upsurge of cyberpunk style books in the late 80s/early 90s, and the massive resurgence of fantasy, especially urban fantasy, which seems to have happened sometime in the last 10-15 years or so...but it might be longer than that, as my time sense has become really unreliable over the last couple decades. I do agree that there seem to be a lot more female authors now, as well.

Urban fantasy, especially the vampire-focused stuff, seems to have really taken off. I'm not sure if Buffy was a cause or an effect, but I always think of her as being in at the beginning, yk? (And, I never dreamed that the incredibly bizarre original movie was going to spin off into something so...widespread.)

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#63 of 111 Old 07-29-2010, 03:47 AM

We nearly named my son after a character in one of Roger Zelazny's books.

He came out with curly dark hair so it didn't seem to suit him as well.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#64 of 111 Old 07-29-2010, 12:59 PM

I have been hopelessly addicted for over a year now to different kinds of fantasy fiction. It all started with Twilight Saga. I'd never read a vampire book until then and was never even interested!

Some of you already know this as I started a similar thread a while back, but as a teenager I had to force myself to get through the Lord of the Rings and had written off Fantasy Fiction ever since. Now I am open to all kinds of things....
I am currently reading Hunting Ground, the second book of the Alpha and Omega series by Patricia Briggs (the author of the Mercedes Thompson series) and really enjoying them. The covers make them look like tacky romances but I find them to be very well written. The Sex and violence are not overly graphic, more than Twilight obviously, but less than the Sookie Stackhouse books.
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/...s/cry-wolf.htm
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/...ing-ground.htm

The stories revolve mostly about a pack of werewolves but as it takes place in the same universe as the Mercedes Thompson series, so there are also witches, vampires and fairies.
I have ordered the Brown Girl in the Ring by Nalo Hopkinson from the library.
I tried The Serpent’s Shadow by Mercedes Lackey but did not like it enough to continue her other books. All the details of the magic bored me and did not seem believable.

Sorry! I just realised that none of the novels I am talking about would be considered Old School!
#65 of 111 Old 07-29-2010, 01:19 PM

I seriously LOVE, LOVE LOVE Terry Pratchett, and am so very sad that he has the early stages of Alzheimer's. His YA books are as enjoyable for me as his adult books.

I think Neil Gaiman would count in this catagory too. I particularly enjoyed "American Gods", "Anansi Boys" and of course, "Good Omens".

The Stephen R. Donaldson series that begins with "The Mirror of Her Dreams" is one of my favorites as well.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#66 of 111 Old 07-29-2010, 02:15 PM

OP: I was thinking about this thread yesterday, and realized that nobody has actually mentioned (unless I missed it, but I don't want to re-read the thread to check) that Terry Pratchett isn't exactly a fantasy author. He's a satirist. In tretrospect, I realize that one of the reasons I didn't like Pyramids the first time I read it is because I was expecting a fantasy story, and that's not exactly what I got. (It is what I got...walking, talking mummies, grass sprouting from people's feet, magical pyramids, etc...but that's not really how it felt.)

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#67 of 111 Old 07-29-2010, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was thinking about the themes of marriage and parenting in Heinlein and remembered how To Sail Beyond the Sunset handled the middle-aged husband dumping his wife for a younger woman and also the teenaged children who haven't been raised right...and even the black domestic servants....different from Farnham's Freehold and yet also not that different....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
I started reading spec fic in the late 70s/early 80s, but most of what I was reading was a lot older. The biggest trends I've noticed were/are the upsurge of cyberpunk style books in the late 80s/early 90s, and the massive resurgence of fantasy, especially urban fantasy, which seems to have happened sometime in the last 10-15 years or so...but it might be longer than that, as my time sense has become really unreliable over the last couple decades. I do agree that there seem to be a lot more female authors now, as well.

Urban fantasy, especially the vampire-focused stuff, seems to have really taken off. I'm not sure if Buffy was a cause or an effect, but I always think of her as being in at the beginning, yk? (And, I never dreamed that the incredibly bizarre original movie was going to spin off into something so...widespread.)
I started in the early 80s, and yes, read a lot of older SF. I mostly bought paperbacks, comics, and magazines at my local newsstand -- tended to buy short story anthologies, because I had a better chance of finding at least one story I liked. More than once I bought a novel and then couldn't read it - waste of my allowance. Then I'd follow up on authors I liked in my library's limited collection or through bookstores in the city. I walked into a bookstore downtown in about 1989 and asked for "Science Fiction by women authors that isn't about dragons." and got some great recommendations that set me up for the 90s in many ways.

Cyberpunk really left me cold, didn't read much of it. CJ Cherryh was my fave for harder SF.

I saw the Buffy movie in theaters too, and agree that it was crazy that a series and a big Vampire Novel Trend would emerge from that wierd, not-very-popular film...

I really enjoyed S. M. Stirling's Island in the Sea of Time series and am waiting anxiously for the next novel in his Dies the Fire series. I could do without the S&M and torture scenes he writes in some of his other books, though.

I love some of Guy Gavriel Kay's fantasy novels, too. And Dave Duncan has a neat take on Sword and Sorcery, when I'm looking for guys in chainmail, not just chicks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless Wonder View Post
I seriously LOVE, LOVE LOVE Terry Pratchett, and am so very sad that he has the early stages of Alzheimer's. His YA books are as enjoyable for me as his adult books.

I think Neil Gaiman would count in this catagory too. I particularly enjoyed "American Gods", "Anansi Boys" and of course, "Good Omens".

The Stephen R. Donaldson series that begins with "The Mirror of Her Dreams" is one of my favorites as well.
Breathless Wonder, I have to say that Prachett can be funny but I've never been a big fan of his -- so many people I know just love his books, though.

Ditto Neil Gaiman. I've always meant to read Donaldson.

[QUOTE=jalilah;15678347]I have been hopelessly addicted for over a year now to different kinds of fantasy fiction. It all started with Twilight Saga. I'd never read a vampire book until then and was never even interested! /QUOTE]

There are a *lot* of paperback series of young-woman-dealing-with-vamps/weres/fairies/demons out there right now, aren't there? They are all starting to blur together....Besides the authors you mentioned, I like Melanie Rawn's Spellbinder and sequels about Holly McLure best.

I've picked up a few of the Rogue Angel series -- didn't realize it was a franchise with different Harlequin authors doing different books. That explains why a couple have been pretty good and one was so awful I'll never read another.

Stayed up late last night finishing a book in this genre, M.L.N. Hanover's Unclean Spirits, and I liked that well enough that I'll look for the sequel.
#68 of 111 Old 07-29-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post
I was thinking about the themes of marriage and parenting in Heinlein and remembered how To Sail Beyond the Sunset handled the middle-aged husband dumping his wife for a younger woman and also the teenaged children who haven't been raised right...and even the black domestic servants....different from Farnham's Freehold and yet also not that different....
I don't mind Heinlein's take on marriage, and I think the issues of race were meant to reflect the times. His take on parenting sometimes gets on my nerves, but I just see him as a typical person with no kids who thought he had all the answers, yk? Lots of people without children are parenting "experts". Heinlein just never got humbled by sleep deprivation, button pushing, etc., like the rest of us.

Quote:
I started in the early 80s, and yes, read a lot of older SF. I mostly bought paperbacks, comics, and magazines at my local newsstand -- tended to buy short story anthologies, because I had a better chance of finding at least one story I liked. More than once I bought a novel and then couldn't read it - waste of my allowance. Then I'd follow up on authors I liked in my library's limited collection or through bookstores in the city. I walked into a bookstore downtown in about 1989 and asked for "Science Fiction by women authors that isn't about dragons." and got some great recommendations that set me up for the 90s in many ways.
I mostly just went to the school library, then when I got a job, there was a secondhand bookstore down the street, so I picked 5 SF novels every Monday on my lunch break...

Quote:
Cyberpunk really left me cold, didn't read much of it.
I read a bit of it, but it definitely isn't my preferred subgenre.

Quote:
Ditto Neil Gaiman. I've always meant to read Donaldson.
I haven't read Gaiman yet. I enjoyed "Good Omens", but I have a pretty good idea which aspects were Gaiman, as opposed to Pratchett, and I have a feeling I wouldn't like his solo stuff. I really should at least try one, though. Donaldson...he did Thomas Covenant, right? I didn't like them at all.

Quote:
There are a *lot* of paperback series of young-woman-dealing-with-vamps/weres/fairies/demons out there right now, aren't there? They are all starting to blur together....Besides the authors you mentioned, I like Melanie Rawn's Spellbinder and sequels about Holly McLure best.
Hey - Nora Roberts has books about vampires! The world is weird. (My mom loaned the "Circle" trilogy to tme, and I kind of liked them. *sigh*) I read one series on this theme that I liked - first two books - but I can't remember what they were called now. I'll have to find them.

#69 of 111 Old 07-29-2010, 02:54 PM

I've also been reading patricia briggs, jalilah, and enjoying them. I'm a fan of I think I heard it called "paranormal romance" books? lol (though the sookie stackhouse ones, I got the first from the library and put it down after 10 pages. no clue why, I just was not into it.) I'm also liking kelley armstrong's otherworld series. they both feel like... I don't know, "disreputable" reading as compared to say asimov or terrorists of irustan though lol. that might be the covers on the patricia briggs ones though. uggg.

I loved terrorists of irustan, I finished it last night. no wait, I finished dragonflight last night (which I also loved), terrorists of irustan was two nights ago. lol.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#70 of 111 Old 07-29-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:

I haven't read Gaiman yet. I enjoyed "Good Omens", but I have a pretty good idea which aspects were Gaiman, as opposed to Pratchett, and I have a feeling I wouldn't like his solo stuff. I really should at least try one, though. Donaldson...he did Thomas Covenant, right? I didn't like them at all.
Neil Gaiman's Sandman series is truly amazing, it is in graphic novel form but your library should have them.

I like Donaldson ok but the Thomas Covenant stuff is a bit *too* depressing for me.

Stranger in a Strange Land isn't my favorite book.

I do like Steven Brust and his Phoenix Guards books.

I like Cyberpunk ok, it isn't my favorite. I am really not fond of vampire books. I got tired of vampire stuff already. '

I like Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow and Thorn and some of his other stuff. I love Raymond Feist, Frank Herbert and Douglas Adams.

I have read LotR at least once every year since I was about eight. I have a Tolkien Calendar with my baby milestones on it.

My parents enjoyed sci fi/fantasy and I cut my teeth on CJ Cherryh, Marion Zimmer Bradley and Anne Mccaffrey

#71 of 111 Old 07-29-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post
Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series has great characters, and its worth a read, but it just keeps going and going and going. In fact its still not finished and Robert Jordan is freaking dead Plus by the end you wish the main character would just get therapy or something.
Jordan's wife picked Brandon Sanderson to finish the series for him and one of the books he wrote is out. I thought it was pretty good, he seems to be tying up loose ends rather quickly and there were LOTS of loose ends laying around.

#72 of 111 Old 07-29-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
I like Donaldson ok but the Thomas Covenant stuff is a bit *too* depressing for me.
That's all I've read. Maybe I'll try something else. As I recall (read those a long time ago), I liked his writing well enough, but didn't enjoy the story or the protagonist.

Quote:
I have read Wheel of Time. There are only two books left.
I don't believe I'm ever going to understand the appeal of these ones.

Quote:
I do like Steven Brust and his Phoenix Guards books.
Yes, yes, yes. I forgot these. I've only read two, but plan to read more. I love his style. (He actually reminds me a little of Lois McMaster-Bujold.)

Quote:
I like Cyberpunk ok, it isn't my favorite. I am really not fond of vampire books. I got tired of vampire stuff already. '
I think vampire books can be good, but I'm not a big fan of the whole "oh - the undead are so uber sexy and irresitible" thing. Blech.

Quote:
I like Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow and Thorn and some of his other stuff.
hmm...I know I've read something of his, but I don't know what...

#73 of 111 Old 07-29-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:

I don't believe I'm ever going to understand the appeal of these ones.
My gamer friends read them so I did. I like big huge books. I worked in a game/comic book store.

Quote:
hmm...I know I've read something of his, but I don't know what...
Tad Williams is all over the map. He's written some of everything. He even wrote a book about cats. (the cat book is pretty good) I haven't been able to get into Otherland so much but dh loves it. I like the Shawdowmarch books and the War of the Flowers is good. He drives me a bit crazy cause he has multiple series going at once.

#74 of 111 Old 07-29-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
My gamer friends read them so I did. I like big huge books. I worked in a game/comic book store.
I like big huge books, too. I just found the Wheel of Time soooo boring. It's too slow, too repetitive, and just too cliched. I don't know why I kept with it as long as I did (probably because so many people recommended it to me that I thought it must get better), but by about book 4, I was hoping the Dark One (that's what he was called, right?) would break out and kill all the main characters, just to end it. And, I swear if I'd seen a description of one more skirt smoothing or braid tug, my head would have exploded!

Quote:
Tad Williams is all over the map. He's written some of everything. He even wrote a book about cats. (the cat book is pretty good) I haven't been able to get into Otherland so much but dh loves it. I like the Shawdowmarch books and the War of the Flowers is good. He drives me a bit crazy cause he has multiple series going at once.
hmm....none of that rings a bell. I think I'll go find his list of works, and see if I can recognize anything.

#75 of 111 Old 07-29-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I like big huge books, too. I just found the Wheel of Time soooo boring. It's too slow, too repetitive, and just too cliched. I don't know why I kept with it as long as I did (probably because so many people recommended it to me that I thought it must get better), but by about book 4, I was hoping the Dark One (that's what he was called, right?) would break out and kill all the main characters, just to end it. And, I swear if I'd seen a description of one more skirt smoothing or braid tug, my head would have exploded!
I think Brian Sandersen reduced the braid tugging and hair pulling quite a lot.

It did get boring for a bit and then picked back up. I have enjoyed the last few books.

He writes strong female characters but his female characters can be a bit annoying sometimes.

WoT spoiler look out!

Warning :: Spoiler Ahead! Highlight to read message!
Rand did decide to start using balefire again, which isn't supposed to be good but I was a bit relieved. "Oh good! He balefired that Forsaken person! Won't have to worry about them again!" It certainly ties up a lot of things rather effeciently

#76 of 111 Old 07-29-2010, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well how interesting. Would Card's the Memory of Earth give any insights into the recent Battlestar Galactica series??

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#77 of 111 Old 07-29-2010, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Don't forget Ann Rice's novels. Interview With the Vampire came out in 1976. I don't know if her vampires directly inspired Joss Whedon's take on Buffy, but she certainly made a huge impact on her readers.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#78 of 111 Old 07-29-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post
Don't forget Ann Rice's novels. Interview With the Vampire came out in 1976. I don't know if her vampires directly inspired Joss Whedon's take on Buffy, but she certainly made a huge impact on her readers.
Right. I forgot about her. I saw the movie (can't remember why), then decided to see if the book was any better. I thought it was worse, if anything. I just don't think I'm into the vampire thing. I don't object to vampires being part of a story or anything - just don't like the modern take on them.

#79 of 111 Old 07-29-2010, 09:27 PM

Forgot to mention that the best vampire romance type novel I've read is Rhiannon Frater's Pretty When She Dies. You can get it free online in blog format. I have it on my kindle....the heroine wakes up in a shallow grave near a Texas college and then has to come to terms with her new vampire existence and goes on a road trip to find and get vengeance on her killer....definitely doesn't pull punches with the vampire/sex/horror genre connections, but truly a fun romp. Sort of an anti-Twilight. I like Frater's zombie novels too, if we're going to talk trashy-but-fun fantasy trends....

ETA according to the author's blog,it's been optioned for a movie so you may see it around ...

I read some Anne Rice, but could never get into her vampire books.
#80 of 111 Old 07-30-2010, 12:30 PM

regarding Vampire books.. Sunshine by Robin McKinney is very good!
#81 of 111 Old 08-01-2010, 01:30 PM

I love David Eddings The Belgariad series and the The Malloreon series(which takes place after the former series).

Robin Hobb, Anne McCaffrey's Freedom series, though I wish there were more books in that one. Juliet Marrilier is good too.
#82 of 111 Old 08-02-2010, 02:15 AM

I just wandered into this forum and found the thread, so I'm late to the party, so to speak...

I've been re-reading Orson Scott Card's Ender series this week -- I don't think I've read them since college, maybe. Just finished Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead and I haven't found the females to be overly maternal. I was disappointed and a bit annoyed that there's only apparently 1 girl in Battle School (Card blew this off as a product of "a million years of evolution" or something like that). But in Speaker for the Dead, there's a much better gender mix. Valentine doesn't have many pages devoted to her but she's always affecting the universe, and she's always clever and brilliant; Jane is not maternal at all; and Nova apparently only procreated because she was madly in love (she certainly isn't maternal).

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceychev View Post
Verner Vinge! A Fire Upon the Deep and the sequel (blanking right now) are fabulous.
A Deepness in the Sky, which was spectacular! I hadn't read these 2 until recently and I was very impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadian View Post
Is there a general difference, ya think, between current spec fic and the older (10, 20 yrs ago) works? I see more female authors (and more vampire books)...
The content and subgenres represented have really changed. For example, you don't see much Sword & Sorcery being published nowadays; and the market is nearly over-run with urban fantasy. It seems like there are more cross-genre stories out lately -- like fantasy-romance, or fantasy-mystery. And I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like the "hard SF" is better about involving well-drawn characters instead of just nifty ideas.

Has anyone mentioned Connie Willis? If so, I missed it! For "old school"-y stuff, I love love love "Doomsday Book" (it's one of my favorite books EVER). "To Say Nothing of the Dog" is lovely, too, and I love her short stories. I made the mistake of buying "Blackout" this spring, even knowing that I'd have to wait for the 2nd half of the story 'til "All Clear" comes out in October. Only 3. More. Months....

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#83 of 111 Old 08-02-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Right. I forgot about her. I saw the movie (can't remember why), then decided to see if the book was any better. I thought it was worse, if anything. I just don't think I'm into the vampire thing. I don't object to vampires being part of a story or anything - just don't like the modern take on them.
I just cannot stand how so many people write them emo.

My emo tolerance is low.

"*mope* I am burdened by the passing of centuries" *mope*"

"*mope* I am damned! Wah!*mope*"

#84 of 111 Old 08-02-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:

My emo tolerance is low.

I think thats why I like Anne Rices version best. Well, of Lestat. Louis is very angsty. Lestat loves being a vampire, enjoys the hell out of it

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#85 of 111 Old 08-02-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:

My emo tolerance is low.

Oh, I so needed that laugh today, thanks! *wiping tears*

Robin Hobb is wonderful. So is Sherri Tepper. Both are on my "buy their new books sight unseen" list.
#86 of 111 Old 08-02-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limette View Post
Her Pern series is my favorite.

I have been thinking of reading some Star Trek books.. anyone recommend where to begin? I was thinking of starting with Lives of Dax since I am familiar with Jadzia and Ezri I think I can make a good connection (plus it is a short story collection), but I do prefer to start series in the beginning if I can..

Also, on the Ender's series, the first one is the best, Speaker for the Dead is kind of eh, but Xenophobia is horrible imho.. my students read Ender's Shadow and thought it was pretty good..

I also really liked Second Star (had great Alaska references to scifi- very original imho).. Strong and SMART female main character

http://www.amazon.com/Second-Star-Sv...0801547&sr=1-1

Many people knowStabenow for her Alaskan murder mysteries..

also the Young Miles series..

Quote:
Lois McMaster-Bujold. She's the most recent addition to my favourites, although I guess it's been over 10 years since I discovered her. She's a solid writer, has an amazing sense of humour, and Miles Vorkosigan may be my all-time favourite protagonist. I also enjoyed the Sharing Knife, which I read a few months ago after having seen it recommended in several threads of this type.
Same one I think..
#87 of 111 Old 08-02-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post
Sci-fi has broadened to include what we now call "speculative fiction". Not just gadget based futures but futures and pasts that appeared normal to us until some pivotal event changed the path.

So yes, The handmaid's Tale counts as sci-fi.
Agreed.. from the Utopia/Dystopia perspective for sure.. the end reminded me of Anne Frank though.
#88 of 111 Old 08-03-2010, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride
Lackey. I read her and read her and read her, and I have no idea why. I even re-read her. I don't even think she's a good author, and I find myself being irritated by various aspects of her writing all the time, but I keep reading. I do think the Last Herald-Mage trilogy was very good, but the rest? Not so much...but I keep reading. Popcorn books, and full of...not exactly plotholes, but inconsistencies, imo...and the italics!! OMG. She uses more italics than any other three authors I can think of.
I LOVE Mercedes Lackey, but I have to admit that the inconsistancies, especially between books, drives me utterly bonkers. I often find myself wondering if she has an editor because some of them are so glaring. Then I get engrossed in the stories & characters again until the next one. I think many of the ones that annoy me wouldn't even register on a first time reader, it's just I practically have them memorized, so I know when she says something that completely contradicts something in a different book.

As for the italics, it's funny what people notice. I honestly don't think her use of them is remotely excessive, but then I've read a 70's romance author named Rosemary Rogers. You want to talk about excessive italics, she would be the all time world champion.

Anne McCaffery..I used to love her, but I went off her books a few years ago & haven't really gotten into them again. I did read "The Rowan" today and wasn't too irritated. Except by one thing which also drives me absolutely crazy about the Freedom series; a nursing mother who leaves her child with other people for days/weeks at a time so she can go off & do, frequently, extremely dangerous things. And not even a single line anywhere about how the baby is supposed to get fed while she's gone. Although, I guess I should be grateful her female characters all seem to nurse .

Terry Pratchett is great! There's been a few Discworld books I didn't much like, but I've really enjoyed most of them.

I like the Wheel of Time series. The first few books are good, then it's tedious for several books, then it picks up again. I really, really like Sandersen's first book. It really revitalized the series imo and there are some MASSIVE plot points that just blew me away. I had to tell dh about one because it was so stunning...& he doesn't even read the series. He's editing the next one; sounds like he's making a lot of cuts, which makes me just want to grab him & beg to read the uncut version. It's due out in November & I'm so excited.

I notice no one has mentioned Piers Anthony. He has an obsession with breasts that eventually drove me away, but for awhile I really liked him, especially the Incarnations of Immortality series.

Another author I like, although in some ways she's more YA, is Tanya Huff. She has a vampire series (before they were hyper trendy, it actually has a tv series based on it called Blood Ties) & her Keeper series is really fun. I like her for when I want a quick, fluffyish fantasy story.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#89 of 111 Old 08-03-2010, 11:48 AM

Ah yes, Piers Anthony. My first spec-fi author I ever read. His Xanth series got really tedious after awhile, but I do have a special place in my heart for him after I read "Letters To Jenny" and "Bio of an Ogre" (non-fiction) I ended up reading his mode series and really enjoyed it. Tatum mound is really unique,beautiful and sad. But yes, he's very much a man when it comes to breasts.

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#90 of 111 Old 08-03-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaskyla View Post
I notice no one has mentioned Piers Anthony. He has an obsession with breasts that eventually drove me away, .
You, too?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page