Did any see "The Road" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 53 Old 07-22-2010, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This movie was so depressing. When the mother left I could hardly watch the screen. But it did have a wonderful line "To you he's an angel, but to me he's a God".

Still, this movie just...wow. So sad.

Mother is the word for God on the hearts and lips of all little children--William Makepeace Thackeray
#2 of 53 Old 07-22-2010, 02:37 PM

Not yet, but I do have it. I read the book and was disturbed by it, so I haven't got in the right mood for watching it yet.
#3 of 53 Old 07-22-2010, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
The book highly disturbed me but I wanted to see the movie. We got it from netflix but I just couldn't follow through in watching it. I have heard it's good but traumatizing like the book. I don't know if I could handle seeing some of those things on the t.v.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#4 of 53 Old 07-22-2010, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Good but very disturbing. Be very careful not to let the kids see it.
#5 of 53 Old 07-22-2010, 02:47 PM

Graphic and disturbing possible book spoiler

Is the part with the
Warning :: Spoiler Ahead! Highlight to read message!
baby being roasted
in the movie? If so, I'm definitely not watching it.

#6 of 53 Old 07-22-2010, 02:54 PM

I both read the book and watched the film.
I've heard other people say the film was utterly depressing, but I didn't feel that way about it.
***spoiler warning.....
I felt that the inclusion of the family at the end offered something more to the film. The ending, in my opinion, negated the despair that was present throughout the rest of the film. There in the ending is the possibility: a community/family exists. There is potential to rebuild a society, to re-create a family.. it also speaks to creating a family where biological connection doesn't exist (and you have to envision/follow through with what's presented in the film, as it's not explained in a straightforward way or a concrete way at all..)
when I read the book, I didn't get that feeling, but it seemed to be a little more emphatic in the film.
It's a pretty emotional film, though, and the scenes in the beginning, where the mother commits suicide indirectly made me raving mad.
Another specific thing that ticked me off was it was another one of those stupid movie birth moments... like birth is fast and scary and doesn't take hours.
The road does make you think about people, and i totally disagree with what CM seems to be saying about 'human nature' but the movie makes the viewer wonder all those fun what-ifs.. how would one survive under those circumstances, etc.
For me it was a rare occasion to like the movie more than the book, but this was one of those.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#7 of 53 Old 07-22-2010, 02:55 PM

I don't think that part was in the movie.

I did love the book, but it gave me horrible nightmares for awhile.

I thought it was one of the few movies that made a fairly seamless transition from the book. Although I thought there was too much of the wife. She's not in the book that much!

My DH was just "eh" about the movie, but he never read the book. He didn't understand why there was so little dialogue. I told him that in the book there is even less!
#8 of 53 Old 07-22-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post

Is the part with the ******** in the movie? If so, I'm definitely not watching it.
No, that wasn't in the movie. And now I'm really glad I didn't read the book!

That movie was seriously disturbing. It took a couple weeks to get it out of my head.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#9 of 53 Old 07-22-2010, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

No the scene you asked about was not in the movie. Thank God.

But the scene with the people locked under the house is in there, and it was very graphic, I almost had to turn off the movie!

But the worst was the despair of the mother. The father begging her to stay just one more night, the things he was pleading and crying 'I just want to talk, please, just talk to me one more night?' ' and her just standing there undressing, preparing to kill herself, it physically hurt to watch that.

And also all the instances of the father having to, you know, prepare to do what he was going to do to the boy, was heartbreaking, the crying afterwards...

I think it did a good job of making you think, what would you do? For sure I would not kill myself while I still had a child alive in the world. The mom really ticked me off with that.

Mother is the word for God on the hearts and lips of all little children--William Makepeace Thackeray
#10 of 53 Old 07-22-2010, 04:45 PM

I cannot bear to think of watching this movie. The book for me was soooooo depressing! I've never read anything else so completely devoid of hope. I heard people who liked it talk about this father/son love story but that is not what I read. Reading the book made me very sad for Cormac McCarthy.
#11 of 53 Old 07-22-2010, 04:52 PM

I have not seen the movie nor read the book, but DH read it and he was traumatized by it! He has forbidden me from reading it or seeing the movie, LOL, and I'm ok with that.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#12 of 53 Old 07-22-2010, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

So was the movie ending not in the book?? The movie saved itself from total hopelessness with a hopeful ending at least for the boy. But how did the book end? (cause I am NOT reading it to find out!).

And are you saying the scenes with the mom killing herself never happened in the book?? What happened to her in the book??

#13 of 53 Old 07-22-2010, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

KyCat I did think it was a powerful and beautiful father/son story. One of the best lines I've ever heard was the one about the boy "is an angel to you, but to me is a God". He loved the boy so much, and did all he could to save him, and was willing to do what he had to do to spare him fates worse than death if necessary--and had to deal with his wife losing her mind as well

#14 of 53 Old 07-22-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartmama View Post
So was the movie ending not in the book?? The movie saved itself from total hopelessness with a hopeful ending at least for the boy. But how did the book end? (cause I am NOT reading it to find out!).

And are you saying the scenes with the mom killing herself never happened in the book?? What happened to her in the book??
I believe in the book, it just mentions the mother in passing. There was no details about where she was or that she'd killed herself. At least that I can remember, I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYCat View Post
I cannot bear to think of watching this movie. The book for me was soooooo depressing! I've never read anything else so completely devoid of hope. I heard people who liked it talk about this father/son love story but that is not what I read. Reading the book made me very sad for Cormac McCarthy.
I got the father/son thing, but the rest of it was just so much. I thought the same thing about the author, I can't even imagine where he came up with some of the things the book described.

I'm still waffling about watching it.
#15 of 53 Old 07-22-2010, 06:41 PM

----------SPOILERS-----------

The part in the movie I hated was when they saw the mother and child being captured in the field. I do not remember that in the book. Did I just forget it?

Another part in the book that was not in the movie was the big march of people that had the pregnant women and the young boys in chains trailing behind. Another scene I was glad was not included.

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain
#16 of 53 Old 07-22-2010, 06:44 PM

I figured out the mom killed herself in the book. I don't know if it was extremely obvious, but it was in there.

#17 of 53 Old 07-22-2010, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBirdie View Post
----------SPOILERS-----------

Another part in the book that was not in the movie was the big march of people that had the pregnant women and the young boys in chains trailing behind. Another scene I was glad was not included.
There is a brief glance of that scene... with pregnant woman and children in chains.
#18 of 53 Old 07-22-2010, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Spoiler..
They do not show the mom killing herself in the movie either. You see the father crying, begging her to stay but she just gets undressed and walks out into the snow and disappears...it was awful.

#19 of 53 Old 07-22-2010, 09:01 PM

I read the book and I just recently saw the movie.

I was the most depressing book I'd ever read. I couldn't get it out of my head for weeks either. It was pretty disturbing. *shivers*
#20 of 53 Old 07-22-2010, 09:11 PM

Nope haven't seen the movie. I thought the book was one of the worst I've ever read too. It was just so....pointless..I didn't even find it that disturbing just so utterly BORING!!!!!!!!!!!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#21 of 53 Old 07-23-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post

Is the part with the *~*~*~*~*~*~ in the movie? If so, I'm definitely not watching it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
No, that wasn't in the movie. And now I'm really glad I didn't read the book!

That movie was seriously disturbing. It took a couple weeks to get it out of my head.
It was at that point I had to stop reading the book. I was pregnant and... yeah. Bad idea. I was literally hiding under the covers, sobbing, and unable to stop thinking about horrible, horrible things. DH thought I had gone off the deep end over a stinkin' book .

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#22 of 53 Old 07-23-2010, 01:29 AM

I thought it was fabulous - sad, but fabulous.

DH, otoh, HATED it - said it was a manifestation of his deepest, darkest nightmare. I think he got PTSD from it
#23 of 53 Old 07-23-2010, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadian View Post
DH, otoh, HATED it - said it was a manifestation of his deepest, darkest nightmare.
Yeah, that's pretty much my opinion (about the book... going nowhere near the movie). I just... *shudders* can't even explain what it did to my brain. It was phenomenally well-written, engaging and... just about the most horrible thing I've ever read.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#24 of 53 Old 07-23-2010, 10:44 AM

OK, TOTALLY no point in my responding, but i couldnt get THIS THREAD out of my head last night.

I remember seeing the trailor for this movie when I went to see ingloirious Basterds. I thought, oh yuck, prolly wont be going to the theatre to see that. But I never wrote it off as a possibilsity once it hit HBO.

THANK GOD I found this thread. There is no way IN HELL I will be watching that movie, and will prolly disconnect my cable lines if I ever see it on the guide schedule.

Just some of your description are haunting me. WHO THE HELL THINKS OF THIS STUFF?!!?>!>!
#25 of 53 Old 07-23-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie64g View Post
WHO THE HELL THINKS OF THIS STUFF?!!?>!>!
Yeah, it's pretty dark stuff. <--that's a shudder, not a shiver.

#26 of 53 Old 07-23-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_babe View Post
<--that's a shudder, not a shiver.
I think I mean to use mine for both.
#27 of 53 Old 07-23-2010, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

I don't really find it shocking that the author wrote about shocking stuff--make no mistake, ALL of these things do happen in real life, maybe not in our lives, but certainly this happens, is happening somewhere right now. People eat people. People burn people. Families commit group suicide to avoid torture. Children grow up in barren wastelands devoid of hope. The author didn't invent this stuff, he just put it in a future setting.

#28 of 53 Old 07-23-2010, 11:59 AM

@ the people who hated the film/the book...
i was really surprised at the acclaim, etc. that the author, the book and the film have all received.. while (see my earlier post) i didn't hate the film, i didn't think it was quite worth all the attention it's received. however, i was also surprised to find out that the author is so highly esteemed as the next huge modern literature god. there are already classes devoted to his works at the college where i work, and at major universities.. it all just kind of makes me go but he's big.. big like the 'next hemingway' kind of big, according to those who make literary decisions. my dh likes him that much too.. but again, it takes a little more to impress me. give me some margaret atwood up against this any day (anyone read her post apocalyptic new one?)...

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#29 of 53 Old 07-23-2010, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
he's big.. big like the 'next hemingway' kind of big, according to those who make literary decisions.
Yuck. Here's hoping the Road is never required reading for some hapless students.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#30 of 53 Old 07-23-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post
@ the people who hated the film/the book...
i was really surprised at the acclaim, etc. that the author, the book and the film have all received.. while (see my earlier post) i didn't hate the film, i didn't think it was quite worth all the attention it's received. however, i was also surprised to find out that the author is so highly esteemed as the next huge modern literature god. there are already classes devoted to his works at the college where i work, and at major universities.. it all just kind of makes me go but he's big.. big like the 'next hemingway' kind of big, according to those who make literary decisions. my dh likes him that much too.. but again, it takes a little more to impress me. give me some margaret atwood up against this any day (anyone read her post apocalyptic new one?)...
That's just bizarre.

Didn't everyone go nuts over No Country for Old Men too? I never read that book, but hated the movie. All the Pretty Horses was an ok movie (from what I remember, it's been awhile), but I didn't think it was great. So obviously, I don't get the attention.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page