need recommendations for postpartum reading - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-16-2010, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I received a Kindle for my bday which I am especially excited for using while nursing a newborn this time around because I read A LOT while nursing in those early days and weeks. But winter will be settling in too soon after this babe is born so I want to start loading up my Kindle..

Do you mamas have any good fiction recommendations? Light reading or feel good books would be good..non fiction is ok too if it's something interesting..try me! TIA!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#2 of 9 Old 08-16-2010, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Try the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. They're entertaining and tightly written. Dead Until Dark is the first book in the series. it's a series about a telepathic Lousiana barmaid and her adventures with vampires, werewolves, and other supernatural creatures some of whom live incognito in modern society.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#3 of 9 Old 08-16-2010, 07:27 PM

The Sookie books are pretty fun, but it won't take you long to get through those. I read the first 9 in about 3 weeks, at only and hour or two a day.
Here are a few I've enjoyed:

The Lonely Polygamist
Farm City (especially if you liked Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.)
Wicked (which isn't particularly light, but very fanciful)
The Magicians (same as above and I LOVED it!)

I'm currently reading The Passage, which is not light or feel good (so far anyway) it's a thriller, but not overly gory as a far as I've read. I'm completely enthralled though!.

I guess I don't read a lot of feel good books

"Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free, 'tis the gift to come down where you ought to be."
#4 of 9 Old 08-17-2010, 01:58 PM

I did a lot of reading while nursing and later, pumping at work, it really helped me relax during pumping.

Anyway - A non-fiction series that I have found to be howlingly funny is by author J. Maarten Troost. His wife is some sort of aid worker and he follows her around to the most obscure backwater tropical islands. In the second, Getting Stoned with Savages, she is pregnant and gives birth on Fiji. Their life is really interesting, he tells a funny story and you get the feeling that they are a really committed, happy couple.

My BFF gave me a book by Jennifer Weiner about a couple of new mom's that meet and become friends. I read that while home on maternity leave and enjoyed it. I would say it is feel-goodie. I can't remember the title but it is set in Philly, you should be able to find it on Amazon.

Recently I read Julia Child's My Life in France and I really liked it. She and her husband had such a lust for life and each other, it was a pleasure to read.

The Janet Evanovich Series about Stephanie Plum is pure and enjoyable brain candy, so funny and silly and easy to read.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#5 of 9 Old 08-18-2010, 03:12 AM
Banned

Barbara Kingsolver-- fiction, nonfiction-- I've been saving the things of hers I've not read since the last PP period! well, don't read the Poisonwood Bible. (eta: this was the first of hers I read, and probably my favorite, but NOT a good postpartum book! )

I just read The Little Lady Agency and it's totally throwback sexist but was really well written and funny and positive. I just found it in a box of books donated to my classroom library and gave it a whirl. It was kind of like modern Jane Austen, IMO.

Jane Austen!

the No 1 ladies's detective agency series is like a warm cup of tea Some dark parts in the first one but overall very comforting... just don't read the isabel series b/c she's such an unattached mom sometimes, and he makes fun of BFing advocates

I love Laurie King's Sherlock Holmes and Mary Russel series-- smart, wonderful writing.

Connie Willis' To Say Nothing of the Dog is soooo funny and crazy and romantic.

Ex libris and some other book of essays (large and small? something like that) by Anne Fadiman are great nonfiction reads, esp if you like books about books.

The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next series-- just the first 4, then he kind of reboots it) by Jasper Fforde is totally silly and fun. Some of his other books are much darker, not for PP (dystopian).

Libba Bray's YA Gemma Doyle series is really good and easy to read and get lost in

Bill Bryson's non fiction can be so good and hilarious, like his books about traveling, etc.

Oh, and I have only read one of her books, but Laurie Notaro (We Thought You Would Be Prettier) makes me crack up!
#6 of 9 Old 08-18-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Margaret View Post
the No 1 ladies's detective agency series is like a warm cup of tea Some dark parts in the first one but overall very comforting... just don't read the isabel series b/c she's such an unattached mom sometimes, and he makes fun of BFing advocates
My mom loved #1 Ladies. I didn't read it but watched the HBO series and really enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Margaret View Post
Bill Bryson's non fiction can be so good and hilarious, like his books about traveling, etc.

Oh, and I have only read one of her books, but Laurie Notaro (We Thought You Would Be Prettier) makes me crack up!
Agree on both. Laurie Notaro's first book was so funny too. I loved Bill Bryson's Walk in the Woods.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#7 of 9 Old 08-19-2010, 04:16 AM

"Operating Instructions" by Anne Lamott. I think it's a fantastic and quick postpartum read, especailly late at night while everyone else is sleeping and you're awake nursing.
#8 of 9 Old 08-27-2010, 12:58 AM

Well, I read the Twilight books postpartum which was dumb because after DD would finish nursing at night I would stay up to finish, so I got even less sleep But if you have a less addictive personality than I do and want to read them, they're light and fun.

I just read the Spellman Files series which is hilarious and easy to get through.

Any of David Sedaris's books are fun and easy to get through. My favorite is Me Talk Pretty One Day.

I find Dan Brown books pretty light and easy to read. They are somewhat formulaic but very entertaining...

You could also look at young adult books, they are usually lighter and easier to read but very entertaining and often quite well written...

Stay-at-home Mama to my fabulous DD (10/08)  and DS (9/12) and wife to my just-as-fabulous DH

#9 of 9 Old 08-27-2010, 12:03 PM

Anything by Jane Green. The Shopaholic series is fun, too.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page