I would like The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo if I also liked... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 08-19-2010, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fill in the blank.

Everywhere I go, I seem to see this book, and I'm just wondering if it's something I'd really like.

Also...I'm going camping this week, and I have room to bring along only ONE book. So it has to be good, and I have to be able to buy it at Walmart (the only store with books in my town). I don't want to take a library book on a camping trip. So it has to be fairly recently published or issued in paperback.

I was thinking about either TGWTDT or Stephen King's most recent (which I think might qualify as two books, it's so huge). Any opinions?
#2 of 19 Old 08-21-2010, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Silence of the Lambs
#3 of 19 Old 08-21-2010, 11:08 AM

Ha! I was thinking Silence of the Lambs too!

Or perhaps Patricia Cornwell's novels.

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
#4 of 19 Old 08-21-2010, 10:33 PM

Wow, thanks for posting this. I have it on my netflix queue but really had no idea what it was. I'll remove it now.
#5 of 19 Old 08-22-2010, 02:43 PM

i'm 75 pages in and i'm soooo bored. wondering when it gets thrilling. (FWIW, i usually like literary fiction.)
#6 of 19 Old 08-23-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyMC View Post
i'm 75 pages in and i'm soooo bored. wondering when it gets thrilling. (FWIW, i usually like literary fiction.)
Around page 100.

My BFF, who is an avid reader gave it to me and warned me it takes a while to get into it, and it does.

I was discussing the book with a stranger on a recent flight (she saw me reading it) and we both have two theories.

1. Someone translated the first 1/3 poorly and then the translation was completed by someone else.

2. The foreign, similar looking names made our English-speaking brains work harder than normal, distracting us from the story.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#7 of 19 Old 08-23-2010, 12:49 PM

Thanks for this thread-this book is on my list!

Heavily tattooed and Dready Mama to my girls. YES we are STILL NURSING! love to and
#8 of 19 Old 08-23-2010, 04:43 PM

-Read the book don't waste your time on the movie.

-Push yourself through the first 100 pages. It gets good after that.

-There's very little gore and one violent part but overall it's mostly secrets and intrigue. I liked it.
#9 of 19 Old 08-23-2010, 05:56 PM

I would agree that it's mostly secrets and intrigue but I found the violence VERY disturbing. I think that it's worth noting the original title in Swedish was Men Who Hate Women. Oddly enough, I still thought it was a very good book. I found it very well written and the characters interesting and developed. I still haven't gotten the second one though because it makes me nervous.
#10 of 19 Old 09-03-2010, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm liking the second book so much more....
#11 of 19 Old 09-07-2010, 11:08 AM

The second and third books in the trilogy are very good, although the third suffers from a dry spot just as the first one did.

The small amount of violence in the first book was intense, but it is important to the overall story arc, so hang in there.

I would NOT put this book on the same plan as Silence of the Lambs, or even a Cornwell novel. I think the story in TGWTDT is much more layered and deeper than the other books. I enjoyed them. I'd compare them to Caleb Carr's books, but with less violence.

Mom to two lovely girls, 4 and 3. SAHW/M in need of sleep.
#12 of 19 Old 09-11-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emelsea View Post
Fill in the blank.

I was thinking about either TGWTDT or Stephen King's most recent (which I think might qualify as two books, it's so huge). Any opinions?
Is Under the Dome Stephen King's latest? I just read it a couple of months ago and it's really good. Hefty, yes, but super addictive. And the last thing I read by King was Pet Semetary about 10 years ago, so I'm not a super fan.

Someone gave me TGWTDT as a gift, and I'm scared to read it because of how violent it's supposed to be, but I started it and it seems good so far.

I should probably be doing something else right now.
#13 of 19 Old 09-28-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYCat View Post
I would agree that it's mostly secrets and intrigue but I found the violence VERY disturbing. I think that it's worth noting the original title in Swedish was Men Who Hate Women. Oddly enough, I still thought it was a very good book. I found it very well written and the characters interesting and developed. I still haven't gotten the second one though because it makes me nervous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotmama View Post
I'm liking the second book so much more....
I blew through the second book and am halfway through the third.

The second was FAR better then the first. I am liking the third but getting impatient for something to "give"

#14 of 19 Old 09-28-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmann View Post
Someone gave me TGWTDT as a gift, and I'm scared to read it because of how violent it's supposed to be, but I started it and it seems good so far.
There are two violent parts, both are brief.

One, it is later revealed, turns into something else. I don't want spoil it but in book two, something is revealled.

Two is violent but brief.

I am usually super touchy about that sort of thing but wasn't bothered by the book.

#15 of 19 Old 10-02-2010, 12:35 AM

I also loved the second book so much more than the first. I'm going to start the third soon.

I really didn't think the first one got interesting until round page 300 Several times I was going to give up but I really couldn't since I had come so far

The second one had me from the first page.
#16 of 19 Old 10-04-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebony View Post
I also loved the second book so much more than the first. I'm going to start the third soon.

I really didn't think the first one got interesting until round page 300 Several times I was going to give up but I really couldn't since I had come so far

The second one had me from the first page.
Oh, you will like the 3rd!!!! It picks up literally the next day after the 2nd ends. I think I liked it more than the 2nd. Lots of complicated plot lines and resolutions of story lines.

I got lucky at the library, a couple of people ahead of me either didn't pick up their hold or read it super fast because I got it right after putting in the request.

#17 of 19 Old 10-04-2010, 10:46 AM

I wasn't too impressed at first, but I ended up reading all three in less than a week. They reminded me of John le Carre novels. The themes are totally different, but the mystery and intrigue is there.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
#18 of 19 Old 10-04-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russsk View Post
I wasn't too impressed at first, but I ended up reading all three in less than a week. They reminded me of John le Carre novels. The themes are totally different, but the mystery and intrigue is there.
Yes! That is an excellent comparison.

I am rather bummed out because I finished all three and now am yearning for more.

#19 of 19 Old 10-06-2010, 10:49 AM

So, I saw the title of your thread and had to post. The person who first recommended The Girl books to me was the grandmother of one of my son's friends. It was the first time I had ever met her and the first time I had ever even heard of Stieg Larsson, and she spent the rest of the time going on and on about how much she loved everything Jane Austin - her books, the Pride and Prejudice mini series, the movies.

Let's just say, I was more than a little surprised when I first started reading The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo. But, apparently, if you like Jane Austin, you may also like this book.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page