bookworm mommas! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 93 Old 08-19-2010, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where are my readers?

I'm talking about die hard book fans. Like, if you run out of something to read the back of a cereal box will suffice until you get some new material. People who were born to read

I can not live without books. I've got thousands. I love reading to my kids and want to just fill them with the absolute joy that books bring me/have brought me. I read everything; nerdy non fiction, trashy chick lit, anthologies, biographies, you name it I'll read it. Right now I'm reading like 10 books

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#2 of 93 Old 08-20-2010, 10:23 AM

I can leave this here for now, but it might also work in Books, Music and Other Media. That's where a lot of the readers hangout.

If you want me to move the thread, PM me and I can put it in there for you.

You may get responses in here, too.

I used to be a big time, eclectic reader, but lately my attention span is whacked. I start ten books and takes me FOREVER to finish one. Well, I did finish one fun one last week, so yay, me!

Maybe I'll come back and join your tribe once I am like, actually reading again!

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#3 of 93 Old 08-20-2010, 03:38 PM

I'm in! Just finished Susan Isaacs latest: As Husbands Go. Before that It's Easier Than You Think, by Sylvia Boorstein. And right before that, a fabulous escape that I know I'll be rereading: Sarah Addison Allen's latest: The Girl Who Chased the Moon.

I'm not on the computer a whole lot, but I'd love to participate in this tribe when I am.

Any recommendations from other bookworm mommas?

Jenny, reading & writing mama of dd(18), ds(6), and ds(3)
#4 of 93 Old 08-21-2010, 02:42 AM

This sounds so much like me! I don't get to read quite as much as I would like between being a mom and my job but i do read every chance I get. Right now I'm reading An Isolated Incident---and have about 4 others scattered around the house that I have started and pick up when they are close and I have a few minutes.

Chris
#5 of 93 Old 08-27-2010, 01:28 PM

I am a reading FIEND. I read everything, lol.

Right now I'm rereading Ina May's Guide to Chidlbirth, reading Geneen Roth's Breaking Free from Compulsive Eating, Midwives by Chris Bohjalian, and I've got piles of other books scattered around the house - I like to have something to read, no matter what room I'm in.

I've complained to my family that I need to get rid of my queen bed and put a twin in my bedroom to make room for more bookshelves... :P
#6 of 93 Old 09-08-2010, 06:39 AM

Count me in! I go to the library at least 3 times/week. Just finished Slaughterhouse Five, The Hunger Games, Angela's Ashes and Such A Pretty Girl and am now reading The Know-it-All and We Were the Mulvaneys. I have 5 more books to read on my dresser

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#7 of 93 Old 10-04-2010, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We are huge bookworms here. We own 4,000 titles and go to the library every three days for more reads for our family of four.
#8 of 93 Old 10-05-2010, 11:27 AM

Hello mamas. I have moved this to the books forum it really does make more sense here.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#9 of 93 Old 10-05-2010, 03:40 PM

Oooh, me! I'm a total book junkie. I average 5-6 books a week and my home looks like a cluttered library annex.
#10 of 93 Old 10-06-2010, 01:27 AM

Me! My husband limits me to one bookcase and it is so hard! I'm constantly recycling books (I buy a lot from yard sales or thrift stores). My reading has calmed down since I had my son last year, but so fr I'm actually on track to read more books this year than I read last year (104). Goodreads is one of my favorite websites! We just went to B&N tonight and I wrote down the names of 4 more books to add to my never ending to-read list.
#11 of 93 Old 10-06-2010, 10:30 AM

Me too!

I am sort of in a funk right now because I finished The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo series and am missing it.

I am halfway through Ghost Army, which non-fiction, about a special unit in WWII that used blow-up tanks and other tricks to fool the German army.

I keep a HUGE reading list.

Off to check out that goodreads site.....

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#12 of 93 Old 10-06-2010, 11:04 AM

I love, love, love reading. I usually have at least two books going on at the same time.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#13 of 93 Old 10-12-2010, 12:23 AM

I belong here! I am very visual/linguistic and MUST have something to read all the time, usually books are spread out all over the house. Though of course, frequently, one becomes my focus and I have to force myself to put it down so I can get something done. We even listen to books on CD in the car (I can't stand music radio...it's either talk radio, a story, or quiet). At the moment I've got The Complete Works of Chuang Tzu in the bathroom, Witch of Blackbird Pond in the living room, and A Swiftly Tilting Planet in the car...
#14 of 93 Old 10-12-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney View Post
Witch of Blackbird Pond in the living room, and A Swiftly Tilting Planet in the car...
Great choices, Mooney!!!

#15 of 93 Old 10-12-2010, 10:42 PM

Me!! Me!! lol. I've been struggling lately because I have a hard time getting to library because of it's limited hours and my work hours and having only one car. (there's like, 20 minutes a week I can go, so I order ahead but I miss going multiple times a week.)

Let's see, my last batch I read the forest of hands and teeth (ok) the maze runner (great) life as we knew it (a little disturbing but really good) the dead and the gone (likewise, but great). What can I say, I'm really looking forward to mockingjay (we're 9 of 35 holds, down from number 41!), so I started reading NY times book reviews of other YA distopian/apocolyptic novels and discovered some good stuff.

I've also been reading a lot of non-fiction lately. (the past couple weeks, mostly having to do with recovering from childhood family dysfunction and not passing it on)

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#16 of 93 Old 10-12-2010, 11:08 PM

I love reading too! I taught middle school for 13 years - mostly reading and I love youth literature. I like fiction and non fiction and am currently reading: The Chumash - book of Genesis on a reading schedule, Evolving in Monkey Town, Celtic Christianity, Cirque Du Freak The Vampires Assistant (just got it, have not started it yet - probably will tonight), Eating Animals, boys adrift, and do cookbooks count? - Food to Live By and Mother Earth News magazine.
#17 of 93 Old 10-12-2010, 11:30 PM

Hooray for books! I read obsessively, and am currently working my way through several lists of books on my computer. One, apparently, is the Oprah books--man, some of those are awful! I just finished "White Oleander" and "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter," though, and thought both of those were good. I'm just about to dive into "Unbroken," which is by the author of "Seabiscuit," so I have high hopes for that one.

I loved the "Cirque du Freak" books, loved "The Maze Runner," and especially loved "Mockingjay;" it was a great end to the trilogy. I didn't like "We Were the Mulvaneys;" I found it really depressing.

I'll be checking in here for more book recommendations, although I really don't need to add anything else onto my ever-expanding list of books to read.
#18 of 93 Old 10-13-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaLa View Post
I loved the "Cirque du Freak" books, loved "The Maze Runner," and especially loved "Mockingjay;" it was a great end to the trilogy. I didn't like "We Were the Mulvaneys;" I found it really depressing.

I'll be checking in here for more book recommendations, although I really don't need to add anything else onto my ever-expanding list of books to read.
I consider We Were the Mulvaneys one of the worst books ever written. I truly hated it. I was actually angry (at the father) while reading it.

I just started United States of Arugula, so far so go.

By some good luck, the waiting list for Freedom clipped by very quickly. I picked that up yesterday.

#19 of 93 Old 10-13-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magelet View Post
I've also been reading a lot of non-fiction lately. (the past couple weeks, mostly having to do with recovering from childhood family dysfunction and not passing it on)
My BFF and I went through a period of dysfunctional family memoirs. Shattered was pretty good. The Glass Castle was good too, the author was incredibly forgiving.

#20 of 93 Old 10-13-2010, 10:50 AM

looking for some good winter reads!!!!!!!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#21 of 93 Old 10-13-2010, 11:35 PM

Another big reader here! I want to set some kind of goal for next year because I don't read as often as I used to (it's hard with a toddler always wanting to sit on you when you have a book...but not wanting you to read said book to him)

Yeah, his first REAL word (like clear word) has been "book" and he doesn't even like to read them!

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#22 of 93 Old 10-13-2010, 11:38 PM

Without books I would be so lost. Nothing makes me feel better like sitting and reading in the bath. I can leave all my troubles behind for a little while.

I have been known to read the backs of match boxes and stuff in the bathroom at someone else house

Reading is a huge part of my life and I cant imagine it ever not being.

I got my love of reading from my gramma she would sit and read her romance novels while watching her soaps and she could tell you exactly what she was reading and exactly what was going on with the soaps she usually read between 3-5 books a day and did so up until she was nearly 80 when alzheimer's kicked in. I fully believe that her reading like she did kept it from coming on much earlier like it does with most people. She was a great lady and I still miss her. I would get my books from her to read so she got me into romance I think she would have really liked the new paranormal romance that is out now and I am sorry she missed it.

I trade books at a place called Mr. K's thank goodness or I couldnt afford my book habit. Last year alone I read nearly 1,000 books and that dosnt count reading my favorite books over again.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#23 of 93 Old 10-18-2010, 08:25 PM

I am a little late to the party, but I want to join too! I am a huge reader, and usually have stacks of books falling off my nightstand. I always read before bed, and that way usually manage to fit in at least an hour a day.

I am just finishing up the Women of the Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong. Highly recommended for anyone who likes supernatural fiction - plus she is a Canadian author, and that makes me happy. I have read the 11 novels in the series thus far, and am just working through her two short story anologies.

I am off to the library to pick up Women Food and God. I have waited for this book since the end of August - I was 179 on the hold list when I selected it! It better be as good as everyone says it is!

To keep our book costs (and clutter) manageable I try really hard to use our library rather than running off to the bookstore. We have a small branch in my town without a huge collection, but I can place requests online and get nearly anything I want, as long as I am willing to wait a couple of days for it to come in. Sometimes I am really tempted to just drive to the bookstore, but the library is so much better on so many levels.

My DH reads too, but not nearly at the same velocity. Usually I will check out a stack of books and he will get one. A week or two later I will return my stack, get a new stack, and he will have to renew his one book!

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#24 of 93 Old 10-19-2010, 09:03 AM

just_lilly, I didn't know Geneen Roth had come out with a new book. I read all of her books a decade ago and loved them! I've just recommended Women, Food and God to several friends.

I'm a library gal too, to save money, to save space, and to support the library, which also has great programs like storytimes for the kids, bookclubs, and author visits.
katybear mama likes this.

#25 of 93 Old 10-19-2010, 09:20 AM

I think we're rubbing off on DS He's 18mo and likes to sit with his board books (as many as will fit in and around his lap) and point and babble while he turns the pages. He REALLY likes to "read" to us! It's funny, though, because he's not big on us reading to him...

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#26 of 93 Old 10-19-2010, 09:38 AM

Count me in! I'm in the middle of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series at the moment (and several magazines and a couple of non-fiction books I pick up now and again). We're at the library a lot, too, though it's hard to look for books with a toddler. Somehow he always finds something interesting in the opposite direction I got a nook for my anniversary, and I'm loving that. It's a bit of a money pit, though, since I can buy books when the toddler's nursing (and I do that way too often)
#27 of 93 Old 10-19-2010, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Oh man! I'm so glad this thread is taking off

I grew up in a family of readers. My Dad is a history buff, and my mom is always reading some silly woman-romance-novel [and I got slightly addicted at one point too] and my brother loves reading. So in our house there were always books and book trip/library trips were encouraged.
DD loves to read, and I can read her stacks and stacks of books which makes me so so so happy. Hopefully DS will love it too!

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#28 of 93 Old 10-19-2010, 07:36 PM

I always use the "back of the cereal box" description to describe my reading habits too! I just finished the Hunger Games series, thanks to a thread here. I got a nook for xmas last year and I love love love always having new books easily available. My standard gift request is now B&N gift certificates, so I don't have to spend too much of my own money. One of my favorite things about is that B&N does "Free Fridays" a new ebook for free every Friday, I've read so many things I probably wouldn't have tried if I had to pay for them, and gotten sucked into a few new series that way...a brilliant marketing ploy! Now DH and SH (7.5yo) are asking for nooks for xmas too!
#29 of 93 Old 10-19-2010, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just read three books in three days. My 16 year read 5 books in three days. I think she's a serious bookworm, too.
#30 of 93 Old 10-20-2010, 10:06 AM

Did anyone read Freedom yet? I am starting it tonight.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page