If you haven't seen this miniseries, go to Netflix NOW! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 08-24-2010, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Clear away any plans you have for the next 4 hours and prepare to delight in the most scrumptious viewing experience you've had since, well, ever.

North and South (the BBC production, not the civil war thingy). Available on instant play. That is all.
#2 of 19 Old 08-25-2010, 09:53 AM

Just put it on my queue! Now I need 4 hours of freetime

Christina, wife , mother of 2 :, RN ... : :
#3 of 19 Old 08-25-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viriditas View Post
Clear away any plans you have for the next 4 hours and prepare to delight in the most scrumptious viewing experience you've had since, well, ever.

North and South (the BBC production, not the civil war thingy). Available on instant play. That is all.
Is this based on the book by Elizabeth Gaskell? I her books. Her book Wives and Daughters was also done by the BBC (shown on PBS' Masterpiece Theatre here in the States) in 2000.

lady.gif
#4 of 19 Old 08-25-2010, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
Is this based on the book by Elizabeth Gaskell? I her books. Her book Wives and Daughters was also done by the BBC (shown on PBS' Masterpiece Theatre here in the States) in 2000.
Yes!!! The most beautifully done adaptation I have seen. There are a few departures from the book, so beware if that tends to bother you, but it's totally understandable why these changes were made.
#5 of 19 Old 08-25-2010, 10:05 PM

OK, I added it. I will watch it after I am done with Meerkat Manor
#6 of 19 Old 03-14-2011, 02:34 PM

OK, I don't believe in coincidences, (or more aptly put, I don't believe that similar or comparable coinciding events having no meaning, but I think I'm about to go way to far in explaining something obvious, so I'm going to stop with this parenthetical digression) so what are you doing in my head? Yup, this thread is over half a year old ... but I just saw it today and it popped up when I was searching for something else. I watched North and South episode 1 last night because I miss Downton Abbey and was looking for something with similar pacing.

ANYWAY ... so, did anyone else watch this? I'm going to watch the second episode tonight. I have not yet read the book, but I'm enjoying the miniseries and I'm excited to get a little deeper into the story this evening.

Perpetually TTC #1.  Let's go, Lightning!
#7 of 19 Old 03-15-2011, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Sisko View Post

OK, I don't believe in coincidences, (or more aptly put, I don't believe that similar or comparable coinciding events having no meaning, but I think I'm about to go way to far in explaining something obvious, so I'm going to stop with this parenthetical digression) so what are you doing in my head? Yup, this thread is over half a year old ... but I just saw it today and it popped up when I was searching for something else. I watched North and South episode 1 last night because I miss Downton Abbey and was looking for something with similar pacing.

ANYWAY ... so, did anyone else watch this? I'm going to watch the second episode tonight. I have not yet read the book, but I'm enjoying the miniseries and I'm excited to get a little deeper into the story this evening.

Speaking of coincidences, I really haven't been on this forum for half a year, but now I'm ttc and have been back for the past week.  I totally would have missed your response to my thread!

When you finish watching let me know what you thought!

Ms. Sisko likes this.
#8 of 19 Old 03-19-2011, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thanks to the reemergence of this thread... I watched the entire series last night!!!    It was awesome!!!  I really enjoyed it, especially the end.  My heart was definitely beating faster. 

Thanks for the recommendation!

#9 of 19 Old 03-21-2011, 09:03 AM

Oh what fun!  I haven't heard of this, it's now in my queue.  Another slim coincidence, we were just watching re-runs of the BBC series Robin Hood on Netflix, where Richard Armitage plays the horrible Guy of Gisborne.  I'm happy to see him in something else. I'm just happy to see him. orngbiggrin.gif

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#10 of 19 Old 03-21-2011, 09:33 AM

Richard Armitage plays the horrible Guy of Gisborne.  I'm happy to see him in something else. I'm just happy to see him. orngbiggrin.gif

Have you caught him on the latest seasons of MI-5?

#11 of 19 Old 03-21-2011, 09:48 AM

MI5:  we really need to give that show another chance.  Dh and I watched the first season.  But in all sincerity, we didn't go on with the series because dh was too disturbed by the second episode, where the bad guy utilized a deep fryer to gory effect.  Seriously, dh called me from work the next day to say that scene was still haunting him.  So we finished the season and left it at that.  Dh is definitely a sensitive guy in some regards. love.gif

#12 of 19 Old 03-22-2011, 10:02 PM

Richard Armitage didn't join MI-5 until Season 7.  I watched the 1st - 3rd seasons, but I must admit that after Mathew MacFadyen's departure in Season 3, I just never got into it again. 

A British friend suggested I start again at Season 7... it has been great! 

#13 of 19 Old 03-22-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post

I'm just happy to see him. orngbiggrin.gif

Well, you will be happy to know that we will be seeing a lot more of him in the US, as he is in the upcoming Captain America movies and also just started filiming, The Hobbitt. 

You should check him out in The Vicar of Dibley episodes.  He's great in them! 

#14 of 19 Old 03-23-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland73 View Post

Well, you will be happy to know that we will be seeing a lot more of him in the US, as he is in the upcoming Captain America movies and also just started filiming, The Hobbitt. 

You should check him out in The Vicar of Dibley episodes.  He's great in them! 

Well, that's just exciting all around.  biggrinbounce.gif

#15 of 19 Old 06-15-2011, 08:06 PM

Found this thread quite by accident and now I'm going to sleep way past my bedtime because I just HAD to watch all four episodes.

That was really good!!! So glad you originally posted this thread!! THANKS!!!!

Center
#16 of 19 Old 06-21-2011, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

So I put this series in my netflix queue when I first saw this thread, and I just watched it yesterday and today.  I loved it.  I tried Wives and Daughters put didn't really get into it, and now I'm watching Lark Rise to Candleford.  But I loved watching it on my iPad, because I was just lying in bed with my earbuds in and I could really pay attention to it, which was part of the issue with Wives & Daughters.

#17 of 19 Old 07-06-2011, 10:09 AM

I just finished Downton Abbey (loved it!) and was looking for another British period piece to watch, yay. A little excited to have been diagnosed with walking pneumonia because I am being given enough relaxation time to watch some of this! Thank you for the recommendation!

oh noo
#18 of 19 Old 07-17-2011, 11:06 AM

Downton Abbey was a favorite for me, so I will check this out too. We plan on cancelling our netflix account soon anyway and I'll watch this first. smile.gif

coolshine.gif
#19 of 19 Old 07-20-2011, 05:03 PM

OOOh ... I hope it's still on streaming ... we loved Downtown Abby and couldn't find anything else to watch afterwards.

Kids. I got two of 'em.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page