Thinking of watching Babies for family movie night... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 08-25-2010, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have an 11, 9, 6, and 3 year old. Any reason watching this movie with them wouldn't be a good idea?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#2 of 27 Old 08-25-2010, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got kinda bored watching it towards the end. I found two of the babies lives very cool and the other two were pretty boring to me.
Otherwise, I wouldn't hesitate to show it to kids of any age, assuming you're fine with them seeing naked women and babies. I'm sure it'll spark some interesting discussions about how things differ in the 4 different countries.

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#3 of 27 Old 08-25-2010, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

I've got no issues with nudity, LOL! I'm sitting here with no pants on. (In my defense, these babies have this weird need to kick like crazy against any and all waist bands).

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#4 of 27 Old 08-25-2010, 08:44 PM

Very good choice. DS, at 2.5, was pretty attentive the whole way through, and it was his first film in a theater. He still likes to watch the trailer on YouTube.

Just today, I asked our library to order it.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#5 of 27 Old 08-25-2010, 08:48 PM

I'd like to watch this, but I know my boys (7 and 10) would be bored. They like movies with strong plots. Can't think of any other reason not to show it to them, though.
#6 of 27 Old 08-25-2010, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

I won't mind if my 11-year-old bugs out. I'll be interested to see if he likes it.

#7 of 27 Old 09-01-2010, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

It was a big hit. The eleven year old balked a bit, and ended up reading a book, but everyone else loved it and my daughter and I actually ended up watching it twice.

#8 of 27 Old 09-03-2010, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I misread this and thought you said BARBIE movie. I was going to recommend Barbie and the Diamond Castle, the music is fun
#9 of 27 Old 09-03-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiseau View Post
I found two of the babies lives very cool and the other two were pretty boring to me.
I'm sorry, I just find this line really funny....hee hee...

I've always wondered if that movie would be better with narration. (I haven't seen it yet)

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#10 of 27 Old 09-03-2010, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

We actually added our own narration and comments. DH said it was like Mystery Baby Theater 3000.

#11 of 27 Old 09-03-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
We actually added our own narration and comments. DH said it was like Mystery Baby Theater 3000.
now that actually would have helped. I saw in the theatre with my 7 yo and she kept asking questions. I agree it got a bit dull at the end.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#12 of 27 Old 09-04-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotmama View Post
I misread this and thought you said BARBIE movie. I was going to recommend Barbie and the Diamond Castle, the music is fun
I thought it said "Barbie" at first too

Not all those who wander are lost 
#13 of 27 Old 09-04-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
It was a big hit. The eleven year old balked a bit, and ended up reading a book, but everyone else loved it and my daughter and I actually ended up watching it twice.
Good to know! We have really been wanting to watch it

Not all those who wander are lost 
#14 of 27 Old 09-04-2010, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
it was great, it was Panda's first movie
Posted via Mobile Device

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#15 of 27 Old 09-04-2010, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

It was a lot of fun. I might even have to buy the DVD!

I was really afraid the Mongolian baby was going to be eaten by a yak. I'm glad that didn't happen. And my decidedly American six-year-old was freaking out about wanting to baby-proof the yurt.

#16 of 27 Old 09-04-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
We have a hard time not doing that to just about everything we watch around here.

And on a side note: Don't forget a live broadcast of Rifftrax around Halloween time, check your local listings.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#17 of 27 Old 09-07-2010, 01:19 AM

We watched it the other night with our 8 & 4 year old and we all enjoyed it. I loved the naughty big brother and the African babies the best!

Ima Sophie + D + J =
#18 of 27 Old 09-09-2010, 12:50 PM

Ooohh! We watched it a couple of days ago, and really enjoyed it. My toddler appeared hipnotized by it, haha!
#19 of 27 Old 09-11-2010, 03:20 AM

We watched it tonight. I loved it. My son (11) enjoyed it. We laughed at the Mongolian family's cat! OMG, what a sweet cat that was, letting the little boy pull it around by a leash like that and then clawing it. I don't have a lot of experience with cats, but I was impressed with that one!
#20 of 27 Old 09-12-2010, 08:32 PM

We're going to rent it. Which babies' lives were boring, and why? (I have a clue... )
#21 of 27 Old 09-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Banned

IMO, American baby and urban Japanese baby were pretty unexciting. They were just so sheltered.
#22 of 27 Old 09-12-2010, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

The little diva fit the Japanese baby threw was pretty masterful though.

#23 of 27 Old 09-12-2010, 09:06 PM

One thing missing from the movie which I would have loved to see is how they slept. I was curious if the Mongolian family all slept together in that bed? Also would have loved to see how the African families slept, and would have liked to have seen the African dads?
#24 of 27 Old 09-12-2010, 11:34 PM
Banned

Annettemarie, I had almost forgotten that! She had a fascinating personality. So did the San Francisco baby - I loved the moment when she tried to flee the music class. I just found their surroundings less than dramatic.
#25 of 27 Old 09-12-2010, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post
Annettemarie, I had almost forgotten that! She had a fascinating personality. So did the San Francisco baby - I loved the moment when she tried to flee the music class. I just found their surroundings less than dramatic.
I couldn't tell if it was a music class or some sort of cult meeting. But yeah, I suspect the reason I found those two less fascinating than the other two is that Mari and Hattie's surroundings were too much like I was used to. Seeing a rooster walk across a baby? Now that was good entertainment.

#26 of 27 Old 09-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Banned

Baby + yaks = total fascination.

The African baby and her willingness/ability to put practically her entire environment into her mouth was pretty entertaining too.
#27 of 27 Old 09-12-2010, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post
Baby + yaks = total fascination.

The African baby and her willingness/ability to put practically her entire environment into her mouth was pretty entertaining too.
My running FB commentary was "MMMmmm... dirt.. nom nom nom... Mmmmmmm.... brother... nom nom nom... Mmmmm... rocks... nom nom nom..."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page