Mockingjay (Hunger Games Series) Discussion! SPOILERS included!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-30-2010, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a thread to discuss the Mockingjay, the newest book in The Hunger Games series, or any of the other books in the series!

Posts WILL contain spoilers so reader beware!

If you haven't read these books go get them now!! You NEED to read this series!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#2 of 16 Old 08-30-2010, 10:21 PM
Banned

Waited FOREVER to get my copy, it finally came Saturday and I finished it yesterday. I loved it! She really finally differentiated the two guys and I liked how realistic she was about how much mental fallout there'd be for people who'd been through so much.
#3 of 16 Old 08-30-2010, 11:56 PM

It was so good. I got it Wednesday and finished it that night. Then re-read it again this weekend.

I am glad she ended up with Peeta. It was the ending I was hoping for. Except for her mental anguish, pain and suffering. I admit I wanted a happier ending but like how this is more realistic.

Katniss was a wonderful protaganist. The series goes down as one of my favourites.

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#4 of 16 Old 08-31-2010, 08:12 AM

St. Margaret, I also liked that she had all of the people who participated in the Hunger Games have some sort of PTSD. They didn't just happily go off, they still had issues with the crap they had to endure.

One thing that a friend and I discussed was that we were kind of surprised that neither Peeta nor Katniss had a role in the government after the uprising. Now that could be because of their delicate mental states, but I really thought that one of them would end up, not necessarily in the "federal" government, but as leaders of old district 12.

Hated that Finnick died. Liked him a lot!

Also, this is so funny. I always pictured Haymitch as in his 50's or 60's. Okay, they say he won the 2nd quarter Quell at 16. They pulled Katniss, etc. out of the 3rd quarter Quell held 25 years later. So, that makes Haymitch 41!!!! I'm 39, so I was like, whoa! He's not so old! But I guess if you are 14 and reading the book, 41 might be old.
#5 of 16 Old 08-31-2010, 02:35 PM

I'm still in my post-Mockingjay depression Felt this way after HP #7 was over; not so much with Twilight...

Prim dying really blindsided me! I figured Finnick would die (a la Lupin), even leaving a child behind! Maybe that kid will get together with P&K's daughter...

I saw a discussion where people were trying to think of actors to cast in roles... and someone said Johnny Depp for Haymitch. I also envisioned him older, but if the age is right, Depp wouldn't be bad. He'd need to be a little paunchier though. And Kristen Chenowith for Effie... perfect!

I was undecided the whole time who Katniss should've ended up with, but the way she puts it in the end I can see Peeta is perfect. For some reason when I read the books I imagined Gale to be quite handsome, but Peeta to be a little "doughy" (dough boy, boy with the bread ). I know he is described as handsome and strong, but I can't get the image of a chubby little blond boy out of my head. Hopefully the movie will cast someone I can swoon over.

Anyone feel the end was rushed? Like she was limited in the pages she was allowed to write and she had to cram it all in? I think I need to re-read the last 1/4th of the book; I was going too fast to get to the finale and I didn't have time to mull it over like I did the earlier chapters.

Wife, mother of 2
#6 of 16 Old 08-31-2010, 07:31 PM

Yes, the end seemed rushed. I had a lot of questions that didn't get answered.

Like when Katniss voted to have a Hunger Games with the relatives of the politicians of the capital. I thought originally that she did it to satisfy President Coin, so that Coin would still let her shoot the symbolic last arrow of the war. Then she would be able to kill Coin. But one of my friends disagrees and says that Katniss really wanted those kids to compete as revenge for Prim's death.

Also, we never really hear about the trial and what people thought about Katniss after she killed Coin. Basically, she got off on an insanity plea and was shipped back to District 12. And what was going on with Peeta all that time? He just shows up back in District 12...

Did Baylor/Paylor (can't remember which it is right now) the head of area 8 who eventually becomes president know that Coin was going to be just as evil as Snow? Remember she was the one who let Katniss in to see Snow in the greenhouse. Was she hoping that Katniss would listen to Snow and then kill Coin?

Seriously, her mom's sorrow was so great she couldn't be with HER ONLY SURVIVING CHILD? I thought it was super weird that her mom left.

I'd love to know what other people think!
#7 of 16 Old 09-02-2010, 08:31 PM

HI Mamas,
Finished Mockingjay last week.... gotta say that while I loved it, I did think parts of it were rushed.
I agree with Aquitane, I think it's totally weird that her mom was in Section whatever and couldn't be with Katniss. Weird, to me. But I am glad that she showed that most of the characters did have lasting mental anguish to deal with.
I was so upset when Prim died. It tore me apart. But it did give a clear reason as to why Katniss could never, ever truly be with Gale in a way that both (K and G) would never question her decision to be with Peeta, IYKWIM. She could never be with him, wondering if it was his bomb or not.
~maddymama
#8 of 16 Old 09-06-2010, 12:18 AM

Just finished book 3 today and I thought it really held it's own compared to the other two books. As a whole the series was really impressive.

I was also glad that Katniss and Peeta ended up together, I think that from the beginning they were meant to be together. It seemed that Peeta's goodness changed Katniss in a way that made her need him.

I don't think that the question of whether Gale's bomb killing Prim was the determining factor in Katniss choosing Peeta, but it opened her eyes to who Gale is and always would be. Gale is a fighter, a rebel to the core, his anger will always motivate him. Katniss never wanted to be a part of a rebellion, never wanted to stir up trouble and throughout the books she very clearly tries to "fix" things in order to spare her family and friends, never thinking of the larger picture until the end when she feels like she must.

The vote on holding another Hunger Games at the end was interesting. To me it seemed like it was alluding to the choice between Peeta and Gale. Revenge is Gale, compassion and love for the enemy is Peeta. Her confusion is evident bc she picks revenge, then kills Coin.

I think the main role of Katniss is as an unwilling pawn, first in the Games and then as the face of the rebels. Overall I felt that Katniss, as well as many of the other characters, were complex in a very real way, which is why I enjoyed it so much.

Wife to dh, Mommy to ds1 12/2002, ds2 9/2005, and ds3 9/2008.
#9 of 16 Old 09-06-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyam926 View Post

The vote on holding another Hunger Games at the end was interesting. To me it seemed like it was alluding to the choice between Peeta and Gale. Revenge is Gale, compassion and love for the enemy is Peeta. Her confusion is evident bc she picks revenge, then kills Coin.
See, I think she voted that way so she could remain in Coin's good graces and remain the assasin, not necessarily because of her confusion...... who knows, though..........
~maddymama
#10 of 16 Old 09-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Banned

I thought it was ambiguous, too. Like she says, she wants to see if Haymitch REALLY knows her, but it's really asking us! I tend towards thinking she was voting that way just to get through to shooting Coin.

Poor DH stayed up late finishing the book last night. He liked it, too.
#11 of 16 Old 09-08-2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddymama View Post
See, I think she voted that way so she could remain in Coin's good graces and remain the assasin, not necessarily because of her confusion...... who knows, though..........
~maddymama
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Margaret View Post
I thought it was ambiguous, too. Like she says, she wants to see if Haymitch REALLY knows her, but it's really asking us! I tend towards thinking she was voting that way just to get through to shooting Coin.

Poor DH stayed up late finishing the book last night. He liked it, too.

Yeah, maybe you are right, I didn't see that when I read it though. It seemed to me that she was already in, everyone knew she was just about to take out Snow. But I guess if she were to say no, there would have to be explanation and she was trying to stay under the radar.

Maybe I didn't make that connection bc it really seemed like Katniss decided to kill Coin at the last minute, and it wasn't planned.

Wife to dh, Mommy to ds1 12/2002, ds2 9/2005, and ds3 9/2008.
#12 of 16 Old 09-10-2010, 02:12 PM

I just want you ladies to know that I love you. Noone else I know has read these books and it is so much fun reading what you all are thinking. Now I have to go read the book again, because like so many I was rushing to get to the end. The whole series was awesome and I'm so glad I read it.
#13 of 16 Old 09-15-2010, 08:30 AM

I loved the first two books, but this final one kind of dragged along for me. I was happy with the ending though.

I borrowed a copy from the library, and returned it right away so I can't check this - what was Haymitch's "ending"? Did she even mention him after he brings K back to District 12? I was just thinking about that this morning.

A PP mentioned what actors should play these characters...is there a movie in the works? As I read the books, I pictured Peeta to look like Ryan Phillippe.
#14 of 16 Old 03-01-2012, 10:17 AM

I just finished the series. My daughters read it too. I thought Katniss should have ended up with Gale  (my 3 teenage daughters agreed with me).  Peeta didn't really have any personality beyond that he had loved Katniss from afar for years (blah!) and that he would do anything to protect her.  Her relationship with Gale began as a true friendship and was based on mutual interests.  Her relationship  with Peeta was mostly manipulated by the Games (just like "The Bachelor")

And if she wasn't going to end up with Gale, couldn't there had at least been a scene between the two of them to bring that relationship to a close?  I also was very disappointed that there was no redemption for Haymitch.  After getting sober and playing a significant role in the rebellion, he just goes back to the bottle?!   Someone else who read it said to me, well, that's just realistic.  True but the young people got their happy ending, as a grown-up, I wanted to see the grown-up get a happy ending too.  

#15 of 16 Old 03-01-2012, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I felt like Gale was not a good potential life mate, he was too angry and he was very driven in regards to the political process, which I felt was deliberate so that the readers would see Peeta as a better choice.  I got the feeling that Peeta was the only one who could really love Katniss. So Gale, ultimately, might have been a better partner, but I think most of us were going to look at this from a romantic point of view, knowing that Peeta was the type to sacrifice himself for Katniss in spite of the greater good, but Gale would let Katniss go if it meant bringing down the regime.  For that matter, Katniss was more pragmatic than Peeta as well.  I felt like Peeta was kind of unique, and the only really sympathetic character in the book.

I did think that Katniss on some level wanted the kids to compete as revenge.  Like, screw it, I had to do it to save my sister, my sister got killed, I don't care what other kids have to do.  I mean I think she knew she was going to go along with it so that she could take that shot, but I think on some level she didn't care anymore.  If that makes sense.

It's been awhile since I've read the books, and I'm not good at remembering books once I've read them, so I'm probably missing out on some complexities.

#16 of 16 Old 05-20-2012, 10:34 AM

Actually, I really think that when Katniss voted "yes" for the hunger games for the capitol children, that she was trying to stay in Coin's good graces (staying under the radar since Coin already saw her as a threat) not jeopardizing her role as Snow's assassin, given that killing Snow was her primary goal.  I think the scenes where she is horrified by the little girl in the yellow coat being killed and the group of children killed while being used defensively in front of Snow's mansion show that no matter who the children, she wouldn't want them subjected to the terrifying things she went through in the hunger games.

I also think that her decision to use her ONE arrow for Coin was last minute.  After prolonged distrust of Coin, she had just learned that Coin was really no different than Snow (since Coin was the one who had the idea of a last hunger games), and she realized that a government under Coin would ultimately be no different (look at the way Coin controlled the people in 13).  Couple that with her observation of Snow who in the greenhouse and now tied to the stake ready for excecution was clearly already close to dying (coughing up blood), and who was likely telling her the truth.  I think Katniss realized in that moment that the best use of her arrow was for Coin, in an effort to finally make a real difference for all the survivors of the war, and in utter disregard for her own fate since she felt she lost everything that mattered to her.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page