Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 09-21-2010, 01:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufomander View Post
Fun, Cathe! What was the best part?
Well, the most fun was not being in charge (I directed the conference for the past 4 years). But other than that -- meeting authors and writers, getting inspired to get my book finished . . . an agent said I could send the full manuscript so I need to get it DONE!

Oh--and a big stack of autographed books to read. I'm halfway thru Kathleen Duey's YA Skin Hunger. It's great!

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 53 Old 09-22-2010, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#147 The Gendarme by Mark Mustian

Emmett Conn is an elderly man who, at the end of his life, is visited by confusing memories, memories that were lost to him after his injuries as a Turkish soldier in WWI. These memories come back to him piece by brutal piece and involve the (real-life) genocide of Armenian Christians during a forced march to Syria.

Mustian himself has distant Armenian ancestors (who came to the U.S. before the U.S. Civil War). As he learned more about this forced march -- which came about because the Armenians were assumed to be sympathetic toward the Russians (and thus against Turkey) -- the idea for The Gendarme came to be.

While I'm glad that Mustian is bringing these horrible events to light, the book itself didn't draw me in. It may be that I just am not in a place to be able to stomach the kind of brutality that is prevalent throughout the story. I know that others have appreciated this book, so I'm not un-recommending it, but I myself did not love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama View Post
What'd you think of this one Bufo? I like the title. #146 Sway: The Irresistible Pull of Irrational Behavior by Ori Brafman and Rom Brafman
I liked it and it was a very quick read. Unfairly, however, I tend to compare all books in this genre to Dan Ariely's work and so I must say it was no Predictably Irrational.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post
Well, the most fun was not being in charge (I directed the conference for the past 4 years). But other than that -- meeting authors and writers, getting inspired to get my book finished . . . an agent said I could send the full manuscript so I need to get it DONE!

Oh--and a big stack of autographed books to read. I'm halfway thru Kathleen Duey's YA Skin Hunger. It's great!
I'm glad you had a break from being in charge and I'm so excited about your contact with the agent. You clearly need someone to come and keep you company and bring you tea while you finish your manuscript!
#33 of 53 Old 09-23-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufomander View Post

I'm glad you had a break from being in charge and I'm so excited about your contact with the agent. You clearly need someone to come and keep you company and bring you tea while you finish your manuscript!
Are you volunteering?

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#34 of 53 Old 09-23-2010, 12:24 AM

Skin Hunger by Kathleen Duey

Great YA novel from one of the authors I met this weekend (also a National Book Award Finalist). Looking forward to the sequel.

#35 of 53 Old 09-23-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post
Are you volunteering?
Absolutely.
#36 of 53 Old 09-26-2010, 01:05 AM

I finally finished Jane Eyre (amazing) and Women, Food and God. Not I'm reading Adventures in Gentle Discipline by Hilary Flower. It's a LLL book. It's good so far. I really need it, because my son is entering the toddler phase head-on!
#37 of 53 Old 09-26-2010, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Doing some serious catching up here!

#24 The Puppet Masters
by Robert A. Heinlein
>>Not bad, really fun ... I love Science Fiction from the 50s and 60s, it's a blast!

#25 The Body Snatchers
by Jack Finney
>>Another classic! If you've only seen the films and not read the books, you really are missing out.

# 26 Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
by Philip K. Dick
>>I'm torn about this one ... yes it is a classic of the cyberpunk and the granddaddy of that genre, but there is just something that rubs me the wrong way about it.

#27 The Three Little Pigs Buy the White House
by Dan Piraro
>>A great satiric-parable by Dan Piraro (creator of the comic Bizarro) that takes a look at the Bush Administration from a decidedly liberal point of view. I read this to my kids at bedtime for at least 2 weeks ... they loved it, and Piraro's artwork is top-notch as usual.

#28 Psycho
by Robert Bloch
>>It may sound weird to say it this way, but this book is a little piece of brain-candy for me. I absolutely love it, and Bloch's ability to continuously ratchet up the tension and suspense (in spite of the fact that everybody and their dog knows the big spoiler) is nothing short of pure genius. A definite Must-Read.

#29 The Silence of the Lambs
by Thomas Harris
>>The only way to follow up Psycho is with Harris' masterpiece. Harris does in Silence exactly what Bloch does in Psycho: manages to create one of the tensest and most tightly-written little terror tales in spite of the great cultural consciousness having appropriated his characters and tale. Another definite Must-Read.

#30 Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Graphic Novel
by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith
illustrated by Cliff Richards
>>A brilliant adaptation of the smash-hit. This was a really fun way to unwind from what was a really intense third quarter of grad school.

#31 Leviathan (Audio)
by Scott Westerfeld
read by Alan Cumming
>>Loved loved loved this book. Cannot wait for Part 2 to be released next month!

#32 Android Karenina
by Leo Tolstoy and Ben H. Winters
>>Now, P&P&Z was a brilliant book. The next, S&S&SM was okay. P&P&Z's sequel was inane. Now, after reading this entry in Quirk's literary classic mash-up, I think that the genre has run out of steam. P&P&Z worked so well because the inclusion of zombies worked as a commentary of the society of the Bennet's world. It also created some interesting tension by blurring and out-right destroying gender roles and societal conventions. Android falls flat (as did Dawn of the Dreadfuls (and to a lesser extent Sea Monster)) because the inclusion of, in this case aliens and robots did nothing to comment on the issues brought up by the original book. There was no social commentary, there was no satire, no nothing: just a Tolstoy book with aliens and robots for no discernible reason other than camp value, and still it fails on that level too. Don't bother buying this one.

#33 Mythologies
by Roland Barthes
>>I liked this, but then, I'm weird like that. A theory book that explores the idea of mythology and what it means for the modern world. I guess that's why I'm a grad student in a grad program.

#34 The Short Secret Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella (Audio)
by Stephenie Meyer
read by Emma Galvin
>>While Galvin is a far superior reader to the reader of the rest of the Twilight series, this novella still fell short for me. I suppose I'm not the target audience, so perhaps that is the reason.

#35 America
by Jean Baudrillard
>>Like Barthes' Mythologies this is a theory book that explores the nature of America, her landscape, her culture and her people. It is a kind of postmodern de Tocqueville (but perhaps not so optimistic as de Tocqueville). Again I liked this, but then, I'm weird like that.

#36 The Post-Modern Condition: A Report on Knowledge
by Jean-François Lyotard
>>Yet more theory. See the Barthes and Baudrillard above.

#37 The Shining
by Stephen King
>>This is, perhaps, my Number One Most Favorite Book of All-Time. It started my serious academic career and is King's absolute best book, in my opinion. If you read no other King, read The Shining ... it is well-worth every second of lost sleep!

#38 The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories
by Angela Carter
>>A great collection of fairy tales that Carter has re-appropriated and made relevant to a modern audience. Maybe not bedtime story material for the kids, but still...

#39 Rosemary's Baby
by Ira Levin
>>One of the best novels out there to tackle the idea of urban paranoia and city life out there. I love it, and cannot recommend it enough.

#40 Blood and Guts in High School, Plus Two
by Kathy Acker
>>I'm still trying to figure out how I felt about this one. It is one of the strangest books I have read to date and really pushes the postmodern envelope.

#41 Naked Lunch: The Restored Text
by William S. Burroughs
>>I have never done any hallucinogens, but I can imagine that reading Burroughs' book must come awful close to that sensation. This was a really disorienting and strange strange book.

#42 Watchmen
by Alan Moore
illustrated by Dave Gibbons
>>Possibly the greatest graphic novel ever written. 'Nuff said.

#43 Lolita
by Vladimir Nabokov
>>As a student of literature, this book was brilliant. As a father of two daughters, I wanted to climb into the book and kill Humbert Humbert.

#44 Beloved
by Toni Morrison
>>An amazing book. One of the best Gothic novels I have read in a long time.

#45 Woman Hollering Creek and Other Stories
by Sandra Cisneros
>>A beautiful collection of poetic and poignant short stories. I highly recommend this one.

and

#46 The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
by Robert Louis Stevenson
>>This Gothic novel delivers a quick, ice pick jab to the terror center of the brain. I have gotten a lot of mileage out of this book academically.

#1 Tales from Outer Suburbia, #2 The Men Who Stare at Goats, #3 Under the Dome (Audio), #4 Benito Cereno, #5 Doctor Who: The Rising Night, An Exclusive Audio Adventure (Audio), #6 UR (Audio), #7 Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls, #8 Shutter Island (Audio), #9 Watchmen, #10 The Darwin Awards II: Unnatural Selection (Audio), #11 Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, #12 Still Life: Adventures in Taxidermy, #13 Lovecraft: Tales, #14 Hellboy: Oddest Jobs, #15 Danse Macabre (Audio), #16 Doctor Who: Ghosts of India (Audio) #17 The Iron Man: A Story in Five Nights, #18 The Pop-Up Book of Phobias, #19 The Pop-Up Book of Nightmares, #20 Horns (Audio), #21 Blockade Billy, #22 Titus Andronicus (Bantam Anthology), #23 Doctor Who: Dead Air, An Exclusive Audio Adventure (Audio), #24 The Puppet Masters, #25 The Body Snatchers, #26 Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, #27 The Three Little Pigs Buy the White House, #28 Psycho, #29 The Silence of the Lambs, #30 Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Graphic Novel, #31 Leviathan (Audio), #32 Android Karenina, #33 Mythologies, #34 The Short Secret Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella (Audio), #35 America, #36 The Post-Modern Condition: A Report on Knowledge, #37 The Shining, #38 The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories, #39 Rosemary's Baby, #40 Blood and Guts in High School, Plus Two, #41 Naked Lunch: The Restored Text, #42 Watchmen: Redux, #43 Lolita, #44 Beloved, #45 Woman Hollering Creek and Other Stories, #46 The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#38 of 53 Old 09-26-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
#45 Woman Hollering Creek and Other Stories
by Sandra Cisneros
>>A beautiful collection of poetic and poignant short stories. I highly recommend this one.
good to hear from you, NCD! Sandra Cisneros is one of my favorite authors. those stories are beautiful. Her novel Caramelo is one of my top ten of all time.

i read Peaceful Parents, Peaceful Kids and Kids Are Worth It: Giving your child the gift of inner discipline back-to-back. There were good things in the first one, but both the writing style and presentation of strategies made me enjoy the second one more. I think the first one told me things i already knew, whereas the second gave me tools i can use at home and as a teacher.

lack of compelling novel + temporary job (exhausted) + serious earache has made reading very difficult these last two weeks.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#39 of 53 Old 09-26-2010, 04:07 PM

#148 An Impartial Witness by Charles Todd

#149 The Godmother by Carrie Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangamitroo View Post
lack of compelling novel + temporary job (exhausted) + serious earache has made reading very difficult these last two weeks.
#40 of 53 Old 09-26-2010, 04:08 PM

#150 The Billionaire's Curse by Richard Newsome
#41 of 53 Old 09-26-2010, 07:48 PM

75. World Made By Hand by James Howard Kunstler

I liked The Long Emergency. Some of his predictions seem pretty irrefutable. I came across this one at the bookstore and wanted to see how he does writing a novel. It seems like he didn't know where he was going with the storyline and kept writing until he decided he was finished.

I just don't understand why he threw in some of the really crazy things into his story - like the hive with the queen bee - hard to explain but basically there is this cult that is building some sort of a hive for a fat lady that they worship who can somehow read minds or tell the future. I didn't really get it. There is also a preacher who has some sort of magical powers but that was unclear. If he had just stuck to the nitty gritty of his ideas about a post-oil world, he could have written a fascinating novel. There was no need for all the voodoo stuff.

All I can say is I'm puzzled and glad that is over!
#42 of 53 Old 09-29-2010, 12:52 AM

Late Bloomer by Melissa Pritchard

I met this author at the writers' conference a couple of weeks ago and bought a few of her books. This one was a fun book that puts down romance novels and their readers but actually is a romance novel, after all. Ironic and funny--I enjoyed it.

#43 of 53 Old 09-29-2010, 09:53 AM

Salt Roads by Nalo Hopkinson http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/...salt-roads.htm

The first book I read by Nalo Hopkinson was Girl in the Brown Ring and I loved it.
This one while it is also good, was not quite as engaging for me. I think it is because there were too many characters in it, Mer, a Haitian slave in the 17 hundreds, Jeanne Duval, a singer and mistress of the French poet Charles Baudelaire, Thais, a Nubian prostitute in the 3rd century in Alexandria and Ezili, an African Goddess, and each one was interesting enough to have a book of her own. The story jumps from one to the next leaving me with the feeling I wanted to stay more with each character.
I still recommend this book however.
#44 of 53 Old 09-29-2010, 11:04 AM

The Fantastic Secret of Owen Jester by Barbara O'Connor

A young middle-grade novel about a boy who 1) catches and keeps the most beautiful bullfrog in the world and 2) finds a mysterious object that has fallen from a train. Good premise but unfortunately a pretty slow book.

#45 of 53 Old 09-29-2010, 12:51 PM

#53 A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon

Another awesome book by Diana Gabaldon. Her characters really come to life and the books are always so long, I always feel like I actually know the characters in my own life. It's an amazing transportation into a book.

I'm looking forward to reading the next book, but still am working on my pile of books stacked up in the closet. I think I have about 35-40 left? It was 56 at the beginning, so not too bad!

And that was my 500 page book for the month, although, does it count as two? It was almost 1000 pages

Started reading Dreamers of the Day and thought it was really good, but I brought it with me to my 15 yr college reunion last weekend and now I can't find it. Oops. I picked up A Northern Light out of the pile to replace it, and it's pretty good too. Enjoying that one and feeling good about moving through the closet pile
#46 of 53 Old 09-30-2010, 12:14 PM

The story of Edgar Sawtelle

Quote:
Born mute, speaking only in sign, Edgar Sawtelle leads an idyllic life with his parents on their farm in remote northern Wisconsin. For generations, the Sawtelles have raised and trained a fictional breed of dog whose thoughtful companionship is epitomized by Almondine. But with the unexpected return of Claude, Edgar's paternal uncle, turmoil consumes the Sawtelles' once peaceful home. When Edgar's father dies suddenly, Claude insinuates himself into the life of the farm. Grief-stricken, Edgar tries to prove Claude played a role in his father's death, but his plan backfires--spectacularly. Forced to flee into the vast wilderness lying beyond the farm, Edgar comes of age in the wild, But his need to face his father's murderer and his devotion to the Sawtelle dogs turn Edgar ever homeward.
Liked the first half of this a lot, but was really, really puzzled and disappointed in the ending -- I felt cheated after all the time spent with the characters.
#47 of 53 Old 09-30-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama View Post
#51 Forest House by Marion Zimmer Bradley

I LOVE Marion Zimmer Bradley. This was a fantastic book, as always, she totally transports you into the world of the characters of the book. I couldn't put this one down.

I was hoping there would be other books that take place between this one and The Mists of Avalon, and it looks like maybe there are? Anyone know the order of the books if there are more?

Me too!!

Here is the series in series order (year published and notes in parentheses)

Fall of Atlantis (1987)
Ancestors of Avalon (2004) (written by Diana L. Paxson)
Sword of Avalon (2009) (written by Diana L. Paxson) (I think this goes there, based on what Amazon says about it)
Ravens of Avalon (2007) (written by Diana L. Paxson)
The Forest House (1993) (with Diana L. Paxson) (also now known as The Forests of Avalon)
Lady of Avalon (1997) (with Diana L. Paxson)
Priestess of Avalon (2000) (with Diana L. Paxson) (this one takes place within the Lady of Avalon stories)
The Mists of Avalon (1979)

signature currently in transition
#48 of 53 Old 09-30-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenytoona View Post
Me too!!

Here is the series in series order (year published and notes in parentheses)

Fall of Atlantis (1987)
Ancestors of Avalon (2004) (written by Diana L. Paxson)
Sword of Avalon (2009) (written by Diana L. Paxson) (I think this goes there, based on what Amazon says about it)
Ravens of Avalon (2007) (written by Diana L. Paxson)
The Forest House (1993) (with Diana L. Paxson) (also now known as The Forests of Avalon)
Lady of Avalon (1997) (with Diana L. Paxson)
Priestess of Avalon (2000) (with Diana L. Paxson) (this one takes place within the Lady of Avalon stories)
The Mists of Avalon (1979)
Wow! Thanks!!!!!!
#49 of 53 Old 09-30-2010, 09:50 PM

#50 of 53 Old 09-30-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kofduke View Post
The story of Edgar Sawtelle

Liked the first half of this a lot, but was really, really puzzled and disappointed in the ending -- I felt cheated after all the time spent with the characters.
Me too!
#51 of 53 Old 10-02-2010, 08:23 PM

Random Family, LeBlanc

Quote:
Journalist LeBlanc spent some 10 years researching and interviewing one extended family-mother Lourdes, daughter Jessica, daughter-in-law Coco and all their boyfriends, children and in-laws-from the Bronx to Troy, N.Y., in and out of public housing, emergency rooms, prisons and courtrooms. LeBlanc's close listening produced this extraordinary book, a rare look at the world from the subjects' point of view... More than anything, LeBlanc shows how demanding poverty is. Her prose is plain and unsentimental, blessedly jargon-free, and includidng street talk only when one of her subjects wants to "conversate."
I felt like this could be an examination of the family history of many of my students. Really good, really insightful...and exposes a kernel of hope beneath the bitter realities of poverty.
#52 of 53 Old 10-03-2010, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Here's October's Thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...php?p=15908406

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#53 of 53 Old 10-24-2010, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, posted in the wrong forum. Moving it to October.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page