Science videos that would make a good Christmas present? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-03-2010, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am looking for fun, educational videos for my DD for Christmas. I found this today: http://store.discovery.com/detail.ph..._subjects_kids

Anybody seen this before? Is it any good? Do you have any other suggestions? DD is 3.5 and I think she would like videos about animals, volcanoes and/or dinosaurs.
#2 of 12 Old 09-03-2010, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS has been watching Animal Atlas dvd's and loves them! You can get them on Amazon for about $7 per dvd. Our toys r us had a couple too.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#3 of 12 Old 09-03-2010, 12:45 PM

Check out 'Science Clips for Children' by Schlessinger Media...and other schlessinger media materials...GREAT stuff! Our local library has tons!

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
#4 of 12 Old 09-03-2010, 02:23 PM

I loved, and now my 3.5yr old loves Bill Nye. Our library has the complete set, highly recommend!

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#5 of 12 Old 09-03-2010, 03:01 PM

It's not in the same style as others mentioned here, but what about the Magic School Bus? My kids love them, and dd1 has picked up a lot from watching them occasionally.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#6 of 12 Old 09-03-2010, 05:59 PM

I would second the Magic School Bus series.

Also, Planet Earth is awesome.

This is probably too old (and possible too scary) for your DD, though I got it for the boys last Christmas when ds#3 was 3.5, but we've really enjoyed it:
http://store.discovery.com/detail.ph...ects_dinosaurs

A friend's little boy really likes Dirty Jobs (we haven't seen it yet, but want to):
http://store.discovery.com/?v=discov...ows_dirty-jobs

I remember checking out a series when ds#1 was 3.5-4, but I can't remember the name well enough to find it. It was something like "How Things Are Made" or "How Things Are Done" or something. Now, when I search, I can only find the websites with similar names (like "How Stuff Works"). I think it may be because the "How it Works" part was a subtitle, and each video had it's own main title like "Hot Air Balloons" or "Electricity". I just know that he loved them, and then we moved and our current library doesn't carry much in the way of movies.

Amanda and Dh, ds 09/00, ds 08/03, ds 10/05, and ds 05/08, and 3 :
#7 of 12 Old 09-03-2010, 07:43 PM

We have a set of Popular Mechanics for Kids DVDs that we love. They are a little fast-paced with some jokes my son didn't get at 4, but there was still plenty to catch his interest.

Magic School Bus, while totally branded, is really fun.

We like Planet Earth.

The BBC dinosaurs series is great but has pretty explicit killing scenes and my son ended up in tears over a dinosaur that made a migration only to fail to mate and die alone on the sands (should have screened that one first...) so I would make sure not to be as dumb as me and watch them first.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#8 of 12 Old 09-04-2010, 08:49 AM

"The way things work" based on the book of the same name by David Macaulay.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Way-Thin...3601043&sr=8-1

My 4 yo DS loves this!
#9 of 12 Old 09-04-2010, 09:15 AM

I'm a huge fan of David Attenborough's "Life of..." series (Life of birds and Life of mammals are awesome). They aren't specifically geared towards kids like Bill Nye or Magic Schoolbus are, but the stuff they've captured on film is incredible. They're similar to Planet Earth. There is death though, so you might need to screen it first.
Also, depending on the age of your child, They Might Be Giants released a DVD called "Here Comes Science" with lots of awesome science songs.

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#10 of 12 Old 09-04-2010, 03:39 PM

Moved to Books, Music & Other Media

#11 of 12 Old 09-04-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiseau View Post
Also, depending on the age of your child, They Might Be Giants released a DVD called "Here Comes Science" with lots of awesome science songs.
Ds loves that video

Dd has always really enjoyed the Planet Earth series.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#12 of 12 Old 09-04-2010, 10:52 PM

I love Planet Earth, too, but the "Life" series which is very similar and narrated by Oprah is a little more basic and preschooler friendly. My 3 yo got a little bored by some of Planet Earth, but loved "Life".

Mommy to kids

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page