Broadway Shows - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-07-2010, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need to see one it would be good to see Chicago on Broadway Live. So have you ever seen one was it what you expected.

Worlds Best Mom
#2 of 11 Old 09-07-2010, 04:22 PM

Hi I traveled to NYC two weekends ago and saw Wicked live on Broadway. Let me just say: SO SO SO GOOD! Definitely worth the money and time.

I've heard great things about Chicago on Broadway. A girlfriend of mine saw it when John Stamos (aka Uncle Jesse) was on.

It's just good music if you can feel it in your soul. - Tim McGraw
#3 of 11 Old 09-07-2010, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving out to the general forum since this is not about a television show.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#4 of 11 Old 09-08-2010, 01:32 AM

I have seen Miss Saigon in Broadway, Les Miz in Boston, Oliver in Tucson, Phantom of the Opera in Phoenix. I loved all of them and we hope to make the trip up to Boston or down to NYC to take the boys to some shows once we get back to NE this spring.

Ima Sophie + D + J =
#5 of 11 Old 09-12-2010, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

I guess its really entertaining. I have always been curious about these live broadway shows. I need to plan to see one oneday.

Worlds Best Mom
#6 of 11 Old 09-12-2010, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
honestly anything 'live' is a great experience.

i have also enjoyed opera not just broadway shows.

they are so flamboyant, so full of life that i truly enjoy them.

so if you like shows you can pretty much go to anyone.

its the price of the ticket that stops me.

but one of the things dd and i enjoy is opera at the movie theater. they show the opera performance like a movie. its the closest and cheapest option so far.

oh also an idea. i havent done it lately. but i volunteer to be an usher at our local theater and so would get to watch shows for free.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#7 of 11 Old 09-14-2010, 02:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post
its the price of the ticket that stops me.

but one of the things dd and i enjoy is opera at the movie theater. they show the opera performance like a movie. its the closest and cheapest option so far.
I find this so sad. This kind of art should be accessible to ALL!!!!

When I lived in Europe, I went to numerous operas in Vienna, Naples, Rome, Paris, Prague and a few other European major cities for no more than $1.25!

Granted, they were often in the back and standing room only... but, it was still an absolutely amazing experience. Oftentimes, depending on the opera house, we had to get there a few hours before the show and tie our scarves where we wanted to stand. Then, we would go out to eat and come back for the show.

Funny thing is when I was able to finally afford the better seats, it just wasn't the same kind of experience.

As for NYC Broadway shows, TKTS was my godsend. It was through TKTS that I was able to see so many amazing plays for super discounted prices!!!
#8 of 11 Old 09-14-2010, 06:33 AM

I was lucky and grew up near NYC. My high school music class saw 1 show a year at a very subsidized price, and since I've seen a few. I don't think anything I've seen is still on broadway (except maybe Phantom, is that still going strong), but if you have a chance, go!

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#9 of 11 Old 09-14-2010, 11:25 PM

That's one of my favorite things to do! We go to the Broadway equivalent in San Francisco. Wicked was awesome! We like to see The Nutcracker at Christmastime. Seeing live productions is such a great experience. I can't even describe it. Going to the movies doesn't even hold a candle to seeing a live production. I wish more people would try it. I want to try out the orchestra next and get all dressed up and go to hear the music.
#10 of 11 Old 09-15-2010, 03:18 PM

Some Bway shows are also movies (or recorded): "Cats", "Cyrano de Bergerac", "The Phantom of the Opera", "Jesus Christ Superstar", "Chicago", "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" for example. I've rented them off Netflix and bought some they were so good (Chicago and Phantom and Cyrano)

Bway tickets can be expensive, if you dont care which show you see, consider picking up tickets the day of (this site gives more info: http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56). You will see a great show at greatly reduced prices, I saw "Miss Saigon" this way

Also consider "off Broadway" shows, another wonderful way to experience theatre. Last time we were in NYC, we saw "Godspell" in the basement of a church/bank building and it was a lot of fun

P.S. for Phantom fans: the sequel, "Love Never Dies" is coming to NYC Spring 2011 (for more info: www.loveneverdies.com)
#11 of 11 Old 09-16-2010, 01:20 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland73 View Post
I find this so sad. This kind of art should be accessible to ALL!!!!
i sooooo agree.

there is cheaper children's theater so since its cheap tickets of course its not a grand production.

dd looooooves the adult REAL theater performances. all the costume, sets, she really loves the theater.

i took her to the seusical musical when she was not even 2. i knew i had to take her - a musical about dr seuss - sooo up her alley. she loved it and watched it completely fascinated with not a peep out of her the whole time. she did fall asleep the last few minutes of it though.

i am not a theater person myself. i prefer being the behind the scene stage hand which is how i used to watch shows prechild. nowadays if i do get to see a show thru volunteering i feel really horrible because i know dd would really love to see it.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page