Need book ideas for one-town-one-book sort of thing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-17-2010, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our elementary school (goes through 8th grade) is planning to host a One-Suburb-One-Book sort of thing, where we get all students, all teachers, all staff, all parents + the community to read the same book. Then we will host a series of discussions on the book and topics related to the book. We will hopefully get help from the mayor, community center, and local library.

I need ideas for a great book. A school my FIL's rotary club did this with chose Rules by Cynthia Lord (about a girl whose younger brother has Autism). The school held discussions about the book, about Autism, about difference, etc. (They also got a grant to have the author come, which we probably can't do.)

Any other book suggestions? Also, we're thinking of doing a second book for the younger grades (like PreK - 2nd or 3rd or something).

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2010, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Classics and award-winners are always a good place to start looking for this kind of thing. They already have some "buy in" and approval that makes it easier to convince everyone that it's a good selection.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/b...read-Pt-2.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/b...read-Pt-3.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/ja...ctionprize2005

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnegi..._in_Literature

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newbery_Award

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_L._Printz_Award

Do you have some good books that are set near your school?
Do you have local issues that might make everyone a little more inspired to read a particular book? (Environmental issues, immigration, whatever....)

HTH
Old 09-17-2010, 04:01 PM

Three Cups of Tea There a child's version of this book also.

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
Old 09-17-2010, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teensy View Post
Three Cups of Tea There a child's version of this book also.
Hmm. This inspires me to ask the OP a question about the purpose of the "One Book" program. Is it to expose parents and children to excellence in writing, to generate a love of reading, to instil morals, to be thought-provoking and consciencous-raising.... What do you want to accomplish?

Because quite frankly, as noble and virtuous as this book's author is, and as much as he presents a terrific role model, the writing was awkward and not particularly note-worthy. IMHO, of course.

It's a good "noble works" selection and a feel-good story. And maybe that's what the OP wants - to inspire the community to do more good works. I think there are much better books to inspire a love of reading in children.

(BTW OP, this is the kind of discussion/debate you're in for in your suburb while you are making your selection. Good luck )
Old 09-17-2010, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hmm. This inspires me to ask the OP a question about the purpose of the "One Book" program. Is it to expose parents and children to excellence in writing, to generate a love of reading, to instil morals, to be thought-provoking and consciencous-raising.... What do you want to accomplish?
Good question! And there are several answers. First, we want to promote literacy in our school and community. We want to try to get families to read together (or at least read the same thing), so they can discuss the book AND we can discuss it at school. We want to promote the idea that reading is fun.

If we invite the larger community into this (not just the school), it will help our school garner respect in our suburb. (Our school is very small and we are constantly trying to bring in new families and improve our image in the community.) But I'm not sure if this (having more than the school participate) is feasible the first year.

So we'd like a book that a) appeals to various ages, b) would be largely perceived as not being offensive, c) is interesting and relevant and d) is well written.

Quote:
It's a good "noble works" selection and a feel-good story. And maybe that's what the OP wants - to inspire the community to do more good works. I think there are much better books to inspire a love of reading in children.
We're definitely much more focused on inspiring a love of reading than in inspiring good works.

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

Old 09-17-2010, 11:38 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Dr. Seuss seems like a good choice for all ages.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 09-17-2010, 11:39 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post
Because quite frankly, as noble and virtuous as this book's author is, and as much as he presents a terrific role model, the writing was awkward and not particularly note-worthy. IMHO, of course.
Thank you for saying this! I thought it was just me who thought this about that book.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 09-19-2010, 09:21 PM

Everyone I've spoken with who has read it has much the same opinion. The writing didn't live up the content.

Greeny, you might try Googling "One book, one community" and seeing what places across the country have done.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:10 PM

In our city the books chosen for this type of thing are somehow connected to our community. For example, the book was set locally or was written by a local writer or spoke to issues important to our community.

User Tag List