Do you listen to "age appropriate" music? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-01-2010, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I listen to anything and everything. The age thing isn't an issue with me. I can listen to Pasty Cline, Michael Jackson, Marilyn Manson, Shania Twain, Mozart, 50 Cent and everything else in between. If I like it, I like it. (smiles)

I've exposed my kids to different types of music as well. Some they like, and some they just roll their eyes on. LOL

I'm a single, self-employed, homeschooling mom of 2 great kids. Girl 9/95 and Boy 3/99.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2010, 03:00 PM

i listen to whatever i want to, although mostly my son is exposed to the many podcasts i enjoy rather than music.

however, a friend gave me a lullaby cd that has songs from many cultures and i LOVE it! the first song on it is from Benin and the woman has an amazing voice. so, even though she's singing "sleep baby, peaceful sleep" it's still just a plain ole' good song.

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009
Old 10-01-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post
I'm 27.
I will listen to top 40, but I am still mourning the loss of early 90s music. I won't listen to country on the radio
I also like music from the 60s and 70s. not so much the 80s.
I feel like real music died in the 90s. possibly with Kurt Cobain.
I consider rap and top 40 "guilty pleasure" music in that i listen to it for entertainment sake, but I don't respect it as music putting on my flameproof suit for all you crazy gaga fans..
I think I love you!!!!

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
Old 10-03-2010, 11:58 PM

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

Old 10-04-2010, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I hate most Top 40 and think it's mostly auto-tuned dreck! So, no, I don't listen to that and would rather not be subjected to it. Actually, I don't listen to commercial radio at all (only NPR and college stations and the occasional internet radio station). I do listen to current music, though, as well as older music. DH is a huge music fan and we have a huge MP3 collection (I really have no idea how many individual songs, 50,000? 500,000?) along with many CDs, LPs, singles, cassettes, and maybe even a few mini-discs still floating around. Don't think we had any 8-tracks, though. Did inherit a reel-to-reel, though!

We have some really, really good kids/family music. There is some really good stuff out there. It's not all syrupy schmaltz. One of my new kids' music faves is Lunch Money. I would much, much rather listen to that than Lady Gaga or Justin Beiber. Save me!

I agree with CatsCradle (great name for this thread, btw, also the name of an internationally known live music venue, ala CBGB or the 9:30 Club, in my neck of the woods) that the real "parents listen to oldies" split came with the advent rock-n-roll in the 50s or the psychedeilic movement/british invasion of the 60s. I think I would put the divide more in the 60s.

My mom is in her 80s and really doesn't listen to music at all, but occasionally she will enjoy some classical music, possibly some innocuous "new age" piano or classical guitar like George Winston's Chritsmas album, or church music. She doesn't even listen to big band music which would be the music of her era. She might appreciate it in a movie or something, though.

My MIL is in her early 70s and is much more likely to listen to something with an electric guitar.

If there was any good Top 40 music I would listen to it!! Actually, I will listen to Arcade Fire and their latest album was no 1 on the Billboard charts. Not sure any singles made the Billboard Top 100, though.

Hey, looking through the Top 100 I did find one song I like, but , no, I won't let my kids listen to "F**K You" by Cee-Lo Green. Good song, though!

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
Old 10-06-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catubodua View Post
however, a friend gave me a lullaby cd that has songs from many cultures and i LOVE it!
Sounds wonderful...I've been looking for some different lullaby music for DD's bedtime...what CD is it?
Old 10-06-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkfum View Post
Sounds wonderful...I've been looking for some different lullaby music for DD's bedtime...what CD is it?
it's called "Dreamland: World Lullabies & Soothing Songs"

it's older, from 2003, but I know it's available on Amazon.

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009

User Tag List