Do you listen to "age appropriate" music? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 97 Old 09-24-2010, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I was a kid my parents always listened to "oldie" music, stuff that kids my age were definitely not listening to. Now that I am the parent I find that my style is still more current music. I am 32 but my kids and I dance around the living room to Lady Gaga or other current artists. We were out the other day and me and my 7 year old (we both love to sing) were singing Telephone by Lady Gaga and I noticed another mom giving me a really weird look. So am I the only odd mom rocking it out with her kids in the carpool lane on the way to school? I am really eclectic in my musical tastes so I think I will probably always enjoy the more current music (which will be nice for my kids! lol)

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#2 of 97 Old 09-24-2010, 11:34 AM

I do. People are always shocked by what I listen to around my kids (who love it). And it's not even bad.
#3 of 97 Old 09-24-2010, 11:41 AM

I tend to listen and like whatever's popular on the radio so I'm somewhat current on what the young folks are listening to, lol! My kids do have to endure my "oldies" like REM and The Smiths but I figure it's giving them a good foundation in what awesome music is.

Gazing furtively at you from under my siggie!
#4 of 97 Old 09-24-2010, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah I do listen to older music too but I enjoy all kinds. We've never listening to "kid music." Funny story - when my son was about 2.5 years old we used to go to a playgroup. They were doing circle time and asking all the kids their favorite song. So they're going around the circle asking each kid and getting answers like Twinkle, Twinkle, Wheels on the Bus, etc. They get to my son and ask him his favorite son. He answers (in his cute little 2 year old voice), "Rocket Man." The leader asks, "Is that about a man who likes to fly rockets?" and my son looks at her like she's daft and says, "No, it's by Elton John."

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#5 of 97 Old 09-24-2010, 11:45 AM

With mp3 players I really don't think kids will end up caring that much what their parents listen to, they will just listen to what they want anyway. I know mine does. She is a big fan of Tokyo pop and Viking metal which I don't listen to.

Personally, growing up I thought it was completely stupid to hear my mom singing Eric Clapton's Cocaine. Of course my mom was really into pop music too like Michael Jackson when I was a kid and I hate top 40, hip hop.
#6 of 97 Old 09-24-2010, 11:48 AM

i listen to good music which is not necessarily popular or "age appropriate".

Katie
#7 of 97 Old 09-24-2010, 11:49 AM

I grew up listening to classic rock, country, gospel music, etc., My DS loves bluegrass and classic rock like Led Zepplin - he calls it "daddy music". Mainly because DH is always playing something new in his car and his office from ITunes.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#8 of 97 Old 09-24-2010, 12:07 PM

Well I'm 26, so am I even supposed to have moved on to the "age appropriate" stuff yet? Because I haven't .

I do listen to some classic stuff (Metallica, Bon Jovi, Kansas, stuff like that). But I mostly listen to modern rock, metal, industrial, goth, and ambient. For dancing purposes only will we listen to some pop music on occasion.

My dd has never heard a kid music CD. If nothing else because I'm cheap. Why buy kid music when there is plenty of other music already here.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#9 of 97 Old 09-24-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post
So am I the only odd mom rocking it out with her kids in the carpool lane on the way to school?
HELLZ NAH!!! And my kids are 2 and 3!!!

A few of our favs are Usher "let me love you down", Toby Keiths "wiskey for my men and beer for my horses" and Big and Rich's "save a horse, Ride a cowboy". My 3 year old goes absolutly berzerk when that last one comes on the radio. He looks likes hes going to bob his head right off his shoulders.

ETA, I would rather shoot myself in the foot then buy a kids music CD to play in the car. And my kids might think there was something wrong with me if I did. I get enough kids music from Nick JR when they watch it for an hour at night.
#10 of 97 Old 09-24-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
Well I'm 26, so am I even supposed to have moved on to the "age appropriate" stuff yet? Because I haven't .

I do listen to some classic stuff (Metallica, Bon Jovi, Kansas, stuff like that). But I mostly listen to modern rock, metal, industrial, goth, and ambient. For dancing purposes only will we listen to some pop music on occasion.

My dd has never heard a kid music CD. If nothing else because I'm cheap. Why buy kid music when there is plenty of other music already here.
Are you related to me?! This is me! Ds1 loves bands like Nirvana, Led Zepplin, Type O Negative, pretty much whatever me and dh listen to.

One classic band we don't care for around here are the Beatles. We acknowledge what they did for music, but don't really like the music itself. Funny, slightly OT story: we were at a cookout about a month ago and ds1 was inside listening to music with the hosts room mate. They were listening to a song and ds1 said "Who sings this?" the room mate said "The Beatles" to which ds1 replied "I didn't know they wrote good music." We laughed so hard when we heard that.

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

Mourning the loss of her father: Robert Edward Dillon 5/31/52 - 01/03/2011

#11 of 97 Old 09-24-2010, 12:37 PM

lol I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've wondered the exact same thing. We listen to everything around here.. I'm talking Led Zeppelin, Lady Gaga (I freakin' love her, btw), Timbaland, lots of 80s music, Nelly, Eminem, etc etc.

Oh, and I'm almost 36, btw

Wife and mother to 2 kiddos - 17 yr old DS jammin.gifand 13 yr old DD energy.gif.. and a cat that thinks he's a dog dizzy.gif
#12 of 97 Old 09-24-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Are you related to me?! This is me! Ds1 loves bands like Nirvana, Led Zepplin, Type O Negative, pretty much whatever me and dh listen to.

One classic band we don't care for around here are the Beatles. We acknowledge what they did for music, but don't really like the music itself. Funny, slightly OT story: we were at a cookout about a month ago and ds1 was inside listening to music with the hosts room mate. They were listening to a song and ds1 said "Who sings this?" the room mate said "The Beatles" to which ds1 replied "I didn't know they wrote good music." We laughed so hard when we heard that.
Not related. But I also have colored hair (purple), love photography, and think the Beetles are boring. Of course I appreciate what they did for music and so on, but I can not just sit there and listen to their stuff.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#13 of 97 Old 09-24-2010, 12:47 PM

I cannot listen to half of my music of choice around kids. I really love rap, and not "pop" rap. If you saw me IRL you would never suspect this about me.
But also love rock, bluegrass, gospel, trance, classical, and light stuff like DMB, radiohead, etc.

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#14 of 97 Old 09-24-2010, 12:51 PM

I'm not sure what "age appropriate" music is. But I'm gonna guess, no, b/c I wouldn't say I listen to mom music - no soft hits or children's tunes. If we still bought CD's, I'd say the majority of them would have parental advisory labels.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#15 of 97 Old 09-24-2010, 12:52 PM

I'm 27.
I will listen to top 40, but I am still mourning the loss of early 90s music. I won't listen to country on the radio
I also like music from the 60s and 70s. not so much the 80s.
I feel like real music died in the 90s. possibly with Kurt Cobain.
I consider rap and top 40 "guilty pleasure" music in that i listen to it for entertainment sake, but I don't respect it as music putting on my flameproof suit for all you crazy gaga fans..

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#16 of 97 Old 09-24-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post
I feel like real music died in the 90s. possibly with Kurt Cobain.
it died earlier then that, with the deaths of Janis, Jimmie, Jim, Stevie Rae and Bob marley.

"Dont worry! Bout a thing!". hehe Forgot, thats another of our favs. Me and Charlie. We dance around the living room when it comes on Nick Jr. He yells, MOMMY, ITS YOUR FAVORITE SONG!!!
#17 of 97 Old 09-24-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie64g View Post
it died earlier then that, with the deaths of Janis, Jimmie, Jim, Stevie Rae and Bob marley.
lets call that the onset of the deathbed.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

#18 of 97 Old 09-24-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I consider rap and top 40 "guilty pleasure" music in that i listen to it for entertainment sake, but I don't respect it as music
Really? Even classic hip-hop? sheeesh, Madi!

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#19 of 97 Old 09-24-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
lets call that the onset of the deathbed.
I'll concur. Kurt was probably the last in that line of brilliant, ground breaking musicians to die tragically. I am NOT a fan, and never really was, but like most with the beatles, I can agree with what he did for music.
#20 of 97 Old 09-24-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
Really? Even classic hip-hop? sheeesh, Madi!
I actually can respect classic hip hop.. I even took a class or two in college on the Hip Hop Genre (b-boys, Djs, Graffiti, Rap)
But that died with Tupac

#21 of 97 Old 09-24-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
But that died with Tupac
NUH UH!!! BIGGY SMALLS!
#22 of 97 Old 09-24-2010, 01:25 PM

I listen to everything I like! I don't censor anything! The only thing I really make sure about is that DS doesn't watch any weird movies. He has NEVER used the words sang in the songs sometimes, he replaces the words with a better word. DS sings along to Metallica etc. Lol
I just don't believe in censoring everything, they are going to hear the bad words eventually. I can't censor people around me either!
#23 of 97 Old 09-24-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
NUH UH!!! BIGGY SMALLS!

I never understood biggie fans.. it sounded like he had marbles in his mouth! you couldn't understand ANYTHING!

#24 of 97 Old 09-24-2010, 01:32 PM

Biggie Biggie Biggie can't you see sometimes you just hypnotize me. lol
#25 of 97 Old 09-24-2010, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Not age appropriate here. Nothing to out there. 120 mintues stuff.

Mostly things you have never heard of.
#26 of 97 Old 09-24-2010, 01:38 PM

oh, so they were all hypnotized, that explains it then

#27 of 97 Old 09-24-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
oh, so they were all hypnotized, that explains it then
Exactly!!!!!!
#28 of 97 Old 09-24-2010, 01:45 PM

Metallica's Master Of Puppets has a line that says "chop your breakfast on a mirror" at least they aren't saying what exactly they are chopping. I mean, Eric Clapton was a little more open about what he was chopping. lol!
#29 of 97 Old 09-24-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelsSahm View Post
I mean, Eric Clapton was a little more open about what he was chopping. lol!

GEEZ, what song are you referring to?

madi, I was totally kidding about biggie. I was ALWAYS a west coast lover.
#30 of 97 Old 09-24-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:

GEEZ, what song are you referring to?
Hmmmmm hard one.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page