newbie with a question for Sookie Stackhouse fans... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-28-2010, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't want to post this in the main thread in case I accidently saw a spoiler (I'm only on book 3) but what time frame do these take place in? She talks about banana clips and scrunchies, some of her outfit descriptions smack of the 80s and cell phones only make an occasional appearance (I think Eric has one, but not Bill), so I'm confused. Braveheart is mentioned, which was 1995, so maybe 90s?

Or is it like Napoleon Dynamite, where I'm not supposed to think about how the internet and 70s clothes can coexist?

Thanks for turning me onto this series! Love it!

Wife, mother of 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2010, 12:55 PM

1.) the author is middle aged, im pretty sure. So a little, er, maybe out of touch? And im not saying ALL middle aged people are out of touch with the current fashions, but ykwim...... she might have a predated perception of what is fashionable.

2.) The books were published in 2001, 2002, and 2003, respectively. But then when she hits book 5 or 6 i think, which was published in 2006, she writes in Katrina. But the books dont follow the same timeline. They move MUCH slower. AS in only a few months is supposed to pass between publishings. . So I dunno. I think alot of it might be the author.

3.) it gets better in the last few books. But I know exactly what you mean.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply... I'll just have to stop thinking about it Hey, I still see banana clips walking around here occasionally!

Did she write these books before Twilight came out? Sure is a lot of similarities-- mind readers, handsome werewolves with temperatures....

Also, the HBO series True Blood-- does it follow the books at all? Or just take the characters and make up their own stories (like Little House in the Prairie)? Was thinking of getting it from Netflix but don't want to ruin the books I haven't read yet...

I'm sure all this is answered in the long thread but I'm wary of spoilers...

Wife, mother of 2
Old 09-29-2010, 01:35 PM

It loosely follows the books. Most of the same characters, some of the same storylines. It's not gonna matter anyways if you're on book 3, there's only been 3 seasons of the show.

I kind of thought the books were present day. You know, some small towns are a little behind fashion wise anyways. Like mine.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:47 PM

I guess it all depends on your definition of a banana clip. If you listen to Carrie Brashaw from the first SATC movie, its THIS....

http://www.todaystylist.com/butrfly_clip_diagram.jpg
I have some of these, but mostly use them as a tool to keep hair out of my way that I am curling.

MY idea of a banana clip is THIS.....

http://www.mhrw.com/Resourses/a-banana.gif

Which is TOTAL 80s if you ask me.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie64g View Post
I guess it all depends on your definition of a banana clip. If you listen to Carrie Brashaw from the first SATC movie, its THIS....

http://www.todaystylist.com/butrfly_clip_diagram.jpg
I have some of these, but mostly use them as a tool to keep hair out of my way that I am curling.

MY idea of a banana clip is THIS.....

http://www.mhrw.com/Resourses/a-banana.gif

Which is TOTAL 80s if you ask me.
I was envisioning the latter. Ah, brings back memories... I had the best spiral perm in the whole junior high! And when my hot pink banana clip was in, watch out... I might take your eye out!

Wife, mother of 2
Old 10-03-2010, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving out to the main forum since this isn't a book club.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 10-03-2010, 01:00 AM

Lol. I tend to see the HBO series as a bit removed from the books. I've read them all now, but I still love the HBO series too.

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)

User Tag List