Best Urban Fantasy--Ilona Andrews' Magic series - Mothering Forums

Best Urban Fantasy--Ilona Andrews' Magic series

Starry-eyedMom's Avatar Starry-eyedMom (TS)
03:46 AM Liked: 10
#1 of 13
10-02-2010 | Posts: 130
Okay, I just finished book four of the Kate Daniels Magic series by Ilona Andrews. I LOVED these books! I feel I am a fairly discerning reader and these are so well done: witty repartee, kick-butt heroine who is believably flawed and she shows growth as a human being, an interesting love interest (fleshed out more later in the series), intense action, mystery. And the series has gotten steadily better.

I read all 4 books in a little over two weeks. Now, I am dying waiting for the next to be written.

What are your favorites to help tide me over?
crittersmum's Avatar crittersmum
11:35 AM Liked: 10
#2 of 13
10-02-2010 | Posts: 355
With a review like that, off to the library I go! Thanks for the recommendation; sorry I can't return the favour!
raksmama's Avatar raksmama
06:16 PM Liked: 25
#3 of 13
10-02-2010 | Posts: 1,161
All these series are very different but I enjoyed them all.

The Darkfever series by Karen Marie Moning
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/.../darkfever.htm

The Mercy Thompson Series by Patricia Briggs http://www.patriciabriggs.com/books/books.shtml

The Newford series by Charles De Lint
http://www.sfsite.com/charlesdelint/

I also like the Sookie Stackhouse Series by Charlaine Harris and The Twilight Saga by Stephanie Meyer

Funny I tried the Magic Bites series last summer but could not get past the second chapter. Maybe I ought to give it a second try. I had just finished the last Sookie book when I started. Sometimes when I really like a fantasy series I have a hard time getting into a new series when the supernatural characters are different. I am funny that way. For example I did not like the first Sookie Book because I read it immediately after Twilight and the vampires are so different. In Magic Bites it was the same thing. In The Sookie Stackhouse some of the vampires are actually rather likable, so when I started Magic Bites I did not like her vampires at all!
08:55 PM Liked: 10
#4 of 13
10-02-2010 | Posts: 130
Jalilah, you're right about her vampires--they are soo different than most books I've read. More nightmarish, definitely not sexy love interest a la Edward Cullen or Bill Compton! I do feel the last two books of the Magic series are the best, although I zoomed through all of them. I haven't tried the Darkfever or Newford series, so thanks for the recs!
vtechmom's Avatar vtechmom
09:21 AM Liked: 33
#5 of 13
10-09-2010 | Posts: 197
Ilona Andrews (which is actually the pen name for a husband and wife writing team, I found that kinda interesting) has another series that just started that I would definitely check out if you like the Kate Daniels series. It starts with On The Edge, and the second book just came out last week, Bayou Moon. It's an interesting setting, there's The Weird, where magic still rules and it's a feudalistic society, there's The Broken, which is this world, then there's The Edge, which is the world inbetween those two.

If you like Ilona Andrews and you haven't read anything by Kelley Andrews check her out! Her Women of the Otherworld series is excellent. It starts with Bitten and though it doesn't absolutely have to be read in order I would suggest doing so because characters do change and develop overtime. It's an interesting series in that it has separate sets of characters that occasionally overlap. The generally sets are werewolves (what it starts with), witches, half-demons, and necromancers. Vampires and other supernaturals show up as well but not really as a focus of the book. Very, very good series!
09:59 AM Liked: 10
#6 of 13
10-11-2010 | Posts: 355
Jalilah, I just finished Darkfever and loved her take on the Fae. Thanks for suggesting it!

Starry-eyedMom, I'm just starting the book you suggested and am really enjoying it. Great writing!

I wondered if you had read Kim Harrison's series? It starts with Dead Witch Walking. After a bit of a rocky start, I'm really enjoying the series and the world she's created.
12:06 AM Liked: 10
#7 of 13
10-18-2010 | Posts: 130
Hi crittersmum, I haven't read that Dead Witch Walking yet, but I've seen it popping up on my Amazon recs. I am working on the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs, and I'm finding that I really love this series as well! It is very well-written and maybe on the more "believable" side of urban fantasy. I am on the 4th book and I can't wait to get off the computer and read some more!
Storm Bride's Avatar Storm Bride
01:39 AM Liked: 3681
#8 of 13
10-18-2010 | Posts: 25,597
I haven't read any of the books in this thread, but am thoroughly enjoying Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. They feature a male protagonist, but there are some very strong female characters, too (thought I'd mention that, as all the titles upthread seem to feature female protagonists). They may not be everybody's thing, but I love them, and also got ds1 hooked. DH says he won't read them, because swaggering heroes facing the supernatural isn't his bag.
10:00 AM Liked: 10
#9 of 13
10-18-2010 | Posts: 355
I love the Dresden Files! To be honest, I didn't, at first, simply because I find the characters in first person narratives come across as jarringly self-conscious (necessarily, of course!), but now I've totally warmed up to the main character. I don't know how anyone could describe Harry as "swaggering," though! Do you know if the TV show's any good?
raksmama's Avatar raksmama
11:35 AM Liked: 25
#10 of 13
10-18-2010 | Posts: 1,161
[QUOTE=Starry-eyedMom;15956400 I am working on the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs, and I'm finding that I really love this series as well! It is very well-written and maybe on the more "believable" side of urban fantasy. I am on the 4th book and I can't wait to get off the computer and read some more! [/QUOTE]

I've read all 4 Mercy Thompson books and love them but have resisted getting the 5th until it comes out in paperback. The hardback is so expensive! In the library there is a cue of over 70! I hope it comes soon!

I also plan to read Dresden Files.

Just finished the Onion Girl by De Lint. Newford series is one series that I actually cannot rush through. I take my time and always read something else in-between each book. They are thought provoking and not as light reads as most of the other urban fantasy out there.
Storm Bride's Avatar Storm Bride
03:06 PM Liked: 3681
#11 of 13
10-18-2010 | Posts: 25,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersmum View Post
I love the Dresden Files! To be honest, I didn't, at first, simply because I find the characters in first person narratives come across as jarringly self-conscious (necessarily, of course!), but now I've totally warmed up to the main character. I don't know how anyone could describe Harry as "swaggering," though! Do you know if the TV show's any good?
I never saw it. I discovered the books a couple of months ago at the library and found out there'd been a tv show at the same time. Honestly...I think those books, when translated to the screen, might be a little too freaky for me. Depending how they were done, they could be awfully gory, and more than a little frightening.

I personally wouldn't describe Harry as "swaggering", but I get why dh does. He's heard several snippets of dialogue from the books. DS1 loves Harry, probably because his style of quips and wisecracks is very reminiscent of Spider-Man. (Once I told ds1 about Harry's line - think it's in Death Masks - about following the "Tao of Peter Parker", there was no doubt he was going to give them a try.)
tylerdylan's Avatar tylerdylan
11:05 AM Liked: 11
#12 of 13
10-28-2010 | Posts: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtechmom View Post

If you like Ilona Andrews and you haven't read anything by Kelley Andrews check her out! Her Women of the Otherworld series is excellent. It starts with Bitten and though it doesn't absolutely have to be read in order I would suggest doing so because characters do change and develop overtime. It's an interesting series in that it has separate sets of characters that occasionally overlap. The generally sets are werewolves (what it starts with), witches, half-demons, and necromancers. Vampires and other supernaturals show up as well but not really as a focus of the book. Very, very good series!

I love the Kelley Armstrong series. I highly recommend it!!!
06:47 PM Liked: 10
#13 of 13
11-13-2010 | Posts: 130

I recently read all 8 of the Kitty Norville series by Carrie Vaughn. Those of you following this thread might like this series about a young werewolf who comes into her own. Kitty and the Midnigt Hour is the first book.  I ordered the Darkfever series, so that one will be next!

Reply Subscribe Books, Music, and Media