#31 of 52 Old 10-25-2010, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post
Two short but very disturbing books:

Nothing by Janne Teller

This is supposed to be a book for 12 and up but it's pretty heavy and disturbing. It's by a Danish author and translated into English. A 13-year-old boy decides life has no meaning so what is the point of school, work, dating, or anything. A group of his classmates want to prove him wrong so they start the "heap of meaning" in which each of them must add their most meaningful possession. Each kid chooses something for someone else to add and the choices get more horrible as the book goes on. I could see this book opening quite a discussion with teens.

A Special Place by Peter Straub

Uncle Till takes his nephew Keith under his wing . . . unfortunately the uncle is a cold-blooded sociopath. God was this creepy.
I'll have to keep an eye open for both of these, especially Nothing, that one sounds fascinating!

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 52 Old 10-25-2010, 02:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
I'll have to keep an eye open for both of these, especially Nothing, that one sounds fascinating!
Yeah, I thought of you for both of them.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#33 of 52 Old 10-25-2010, 10:19 AM

Tapping the Dream Tree by Charles De Lint
http://www.sfsite.com/charlesdelint/tapping-desc01.htm
Is a collection of short stories from De Lint’s Newford Series.(Urban Fantasy or Magical Realism)
Like a lot of his short stories, there are some I really like and some I don’t. I am a diehard De Lint fan however, so I read all his Newford series books because many of the characters in his short stories appear again in his novels. The more background stories I have about all the characters, the more I enjoy the actual novels.
A Circle of Cats by Charles De Lint
http://www.sfsite.com/charlesdelint/circle-desc01.htm
Is a picture book for children. Thought DS 12 might like it, but it is definitely more for younger girls although I enjoyed the story.
#34 of 52 Old 10-26-2010, 12:52 AM

Sorry, I have a lot of books to post because I haven't posted them yet.

76. Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier
She wrote Girl with a Pearl Earring and this is her latest. It's based on a true story of two women who collected some of the first dinosaur fossils that were studied.

77. Surprised by Joy by C.S. Lewis
I marked this all over the sticky notes and I need to get my own copy because this is from the library.

C.S. Lewis' personality completely resonates with me... the way he describes his enjoyment of being alone: "entering into a deeper solitude than I had ever known." How he describes participating in school sports: "to exchange work... for work." How he describes reading a good book: "I suppose I reached as much happiness as is ever to be reached on earth." His discovery of beauty and magic in the most everyday things: "a farmyard in its mid-morning solitude, and perhaps a grey cat squeezing its way under a barn door, or a bent old woman with a wrinkled, motherly face coming back with an empty bucket from the pigsty."

I really don't think you can fully understand the Narnia books unless you have read this book. He talks about his lifelong interest in fantasy and what it means to him. It really was more than just an idle interest for him... it helped him find the meaning of life.

78. The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters
About a doctor who makes house visits to an old, crumbling mansion and some eerie things happen. It could have been a good book and there were so many opportunities for the author to put in a cool twist in at the end, but the book was so straightforward as to be boring.

79. The Man Who Loved Books Too Much by Allison Bartlett
I liked some of the information on collecting rare books. I didn't think the man who stole all the books was particularly interesting although he seemed pretty full of himself.

80. The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien

81. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
I didn't like the end to the series. Seemed like she wrote it in a hurry or didn't have any particular ending in mind when she began writing the first book. I could tell early on which guy Katniss would pick.

82. Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis
I read this because the movie is coming out soon. They are changing a lot of the story around in the movie and I can kind of see why. The storyline is all over the place in the book and might not translate into a good movie.

83. Mr. Rosenblum Dreams in English by Natasha Solomons
I loved this. It was a lot like Major Pettigrew's Last Stand. It's about a German/Jewish refugee who wants to be a true Englishman and he tries to do everything the proper way. He wants to join a golf course, but none of the clubs will take him and so he attempts to build his own course. The writing is terrific. The book dips into some magical realism which might not have been a good idea. I think it would have been better without the blatant magic - just hinting about magic in the woods and the local legends is enough.
#35 of 52 Old 10-26-2010, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post
Two short but very disturbing books:

Nothing by Janne Teller

This is supposed to be a book for 12 and up but it's pretty heavy and disturbing. It's by a Danish author and translated into English. A 13-year-old boy decides life has no meaning so what is the point of school, work, dating, or anything. A group of his classmates want to prove him wrong so they start the "heap of meaning" in which each of them must add their most meaningful possession. Each kid chooses something for someone else to add and the choices get more horrible as the book goes on. I could see this book opening quite a discussion with teens.

A Special Place by Peter Straub

Uncle Till takes his nephew Keith under his wing . . . unfortunately the uncle is a cold-blooded sociopath. God was this creepy.

I went to put these two on hold and then decided that maybe I have enough darkness in my life right now.
#36 of 52 Old 10-26-2010, 08:32 AM

They are definitely dark . . . . you need to be in the right mood. My 6th grade daughter just read Nothing . . . we had a good conversation about it.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#37 of 52 Old 10-26-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambishop19 View Post
Hey, do we have a Mothering group on Goodreads or anything? It might be fun to do an online book club.
We do have one It hasn't been updated in awhile.

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...DC_Book_Mavens

Not all those who wander are lost 
#38 of 52 Old 10-26-2010, 07:58 PM

I'm way behind on posting my books. And I'm not here to catch up

I have a hankering to read something that's scary since it's Halloween season, and even though I promised myself I wouldn't read anything but what's in my pile in the closet. (only about 30 or so more books left on that...maybe?)

Anyway, I was thinking of The Shining or Something Wicked This Way Comes, or hmmmm, not sure what else.....

Nothing sounds interesting Cathe....although yes Bufo, maybe a little too dark for right now. It's dark enough in Seattle these days
And I love Cornelia Funke. She does some of my favorite children's books.

Kaliki, I love Tracy Chevalier. Did you like her new one?
#39 of 52 Old 10-26-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama View Post
I'm way behind on posting my books. And I'm not here to catch up

I have a hankering to read something that's scary since it's Halloween season, and even though I promised myself I wouldn't read anything but what's in my pile in the closet. (only about 30 or so more books left on that...maybe?)

Anyway, I was thinking of The Shining or Something Wicked This Way Comes, or hmmmm, not sure what else.....

Nothing sounds interesting Cathe....although yes Bufo, maybe a little too dark for right now. It's dark enough in Seattle these days
And I love Cornelia Funke. She does some of my favorite children's books.

Kaliki, I love Tracy Chevalier. Did you like her new one?

Yeah, I did like it. It was not such an engrossing book where you get lost in a fictional world, but the stuff on fossil collecting was interesting to me. For a creepy Halloween book, have you read Shirley Jackson yet? I read We Have Always Lived in the Castle last year around this time and loved it.
#40 of 52 Old 10-26-2010, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Let me give it some thought and I'm sure I can come up with a list of recommendations for you.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#41 of 52 Old 10-27-2010, 10:52 AM

Hunger Games

Do I really need to say anything more about this one??

Anansi Boys, Gaiman

Quote:
"Fat Charlie" Nancy leads a life of comfortable workaholism in London, with a stressful agenting job he doesn't much like, and a pleasant fiancée, Rosie. When Charlie learns of the death of his estranged father in Florida, he attends the funeral and learns two facts that turn his well-ordered existence upside-down: that his father was a human form of Anansi, the African trickster god, and that he has a brother, Spider, who has inherited some of their father's godlike abilities. Spider comes to visit Charlie and gets him fired from his job, steals his fiancée, and is instrumental in having him arrested for embezzlement and suspected of murder.

Really enjoyed listening to this...a nice complement to American Gods.

#1-World Without End, #2-Giada's Family Dinners, #3 When You Are Engulfed in Flames, #4 Her Fearful Symmetry, #5 First Among Sequels , #6 Under the Dome, #7 Look Again, #8 The Lost Symbol, #9 Sea of Monsters, #10 Protecting the Gift, #11 Titan's Curse, #12 Never Tell a Lie, #13 Man in the Dark Suit, #14 Battle of the Labyrinth, #15 An Abundance of Katherines, #16 Shanghai Girls, #17 Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution, #18 The Last Olympian, #19 The Orientalist, #20 Labyrinth, #21 Shutter Island, #22 The Scarecrow, #23 The Road, #24 The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, #25 The Graveyard Book, #26 The Last Dickens, #27 City of Bones, #28 The Fate of Katherine Carr, #29 Just After Sunset, #30 The Last Town on Earth, #31 The Alexandria Link, #32 A Complicated Kindness, #33 The Revolution will not be Microwaved, #34 American Rust, #35 Lost:A Novel, #36 Lunatic Express, #37 Brimstone, #38 Overachievers, #39 The Empty Chair, #40 American Gods, #41 Push, #42 Don't Panic, Dinner's in the Freezer, #43 Children of God, #44 Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos, #45 Slow Fat Triathlete, #46 Ladies' #1 Detective Agency, #47 The Last Child in the Woods, #48 The Book of Lost Things, #49 Monster of Florence, #50 The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, #51 Random Family, #52 Skeletons at the Feast, #53 Hunger Games, #54 Anansi Boys, #55 Looking for Alaska, #56, Monster, #57 Devil's Labyrinthe, #58 Sacred Games

#42 of 52 Old 10-31-2010, 01:10 AM

I've not been posting every book I read, as I've done in past years, but we'll say I'm on

#156 Khai of Khem by Brian Lumley
#157 Room by Emma Donoghue
#158 Salvation City by Sigrid Nunez
#43 of 52 Old 10-31-2010, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufomander View Post
I've not been posting every book I read, as I've done in past years, but we'll say I'm on

How did you like this one? I'm 50 of 57 holds at the library.
#44 of 52 Old 10-31-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:

i usually cannot stomach postapocalyptic-style stories, but this sounds very interesting--the secular/religious conflicts etc. how did you like it? years ago i read Nuñez's A Feather on the breath of God, and more recently enjoyed (albeit imperfectly) The last of her kind.

i have been struggling with a review copy of The Mikvah Queen by Jennifer Natalya Fink. great ideas, but in the execution she loses me.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#45 of 52 Old 10-31-2010, 04:22 PM

More Stories from the Twilight Zone edited by Carol Sterling

When I spotted this book at the library, I thought it was a book of short stories from the original Twilight Zone episodes but it is actually a book of new short stories written in the style of the Twilight Zone show. The collection was put together by Rod Sterling's wife and includes one of Rod Sterling's stories. Just like the show, some stories were better than others, but overall, I enjoyed it.

#46 of 52 Old 11-01-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
Let me give it some thought and I'm sure I can come up with a list of recommendations for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliki_kila View Post
Yeah, I did like it. It was not such an engrossing book where you get lost in a fictional world, but the stuff on fossil collecting was interesting to me. For a creepy Halloween book, have you read Shirley Jackson yet? I read We Have Always Lived in the Castle last year around this time and loved it.
Thanks you two Kaliki, I'll check those out!
#47 of 52 Old 11-01-2010, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

#48 Behind a Mask: Her Unknown Thrillers
by Louisa May Alcott
>>There are three here, but the best of those is Behind a Mask. I was really surprised by that one. You don't normally expect an amazing Gothic thriller from the writer of Little Women, but there you go. Really good.

#49 The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Writings
by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
>>Really the centerpiece here is the short story "The Yellow Wallpaper." The rest of her stuff is good, but nothing beats "Wallpaper" for visceral thrills and chills.

#50 Goblin Market and Other Poems
by Christina Rossetti
>>Rossetti's poems are great. Love every one of them, but the titular "Goblin Market" is by far her best.

#1 Tales from Outer Suburbia, #2 The Men Who Stare at Goats, #3 Under the Dome (Audio), #4 Benito Cereno, #5 Doctor Who: The Rising Night, An Exclusive Audio Adventure (Audio), #6 UR (Audio), #7 Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls, #8 Shutter Island (Audio), #9 Watchmen, #10 The Darwin Awards II: Unnatural Selection (Audio), #11 Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, #12 Still Life: Adventures in Taxidermy, #13 Lovecraft: Tales, #14 Hellboy: Oddest Jobs, #15 Danse Macabre (Audio), #16 Doctor Who: Ghosts of India (Audio) #17 The Iron Man: A Story in Five Nights, #18 The Pop-Up Book of Phobias, #19 The Pop-Up Book of Nightmares, #20 Horns (Audio), #21 Blockade Billy, #22 Titus Andronicus (Bantam Anthology), #23 Doctor Who: Dead Air, An Exclusive Audio Adventure (Audio), #24 The Puppet Masters, #25 The Body Snatchers, #26 Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, #27 The Three Little Pigs Buy the White House, #28 Psycho, #29 The Silence of the Lambs, #30 Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Graphic Novel, #31 Leviathan (Audio), #32 Android Karenina, #33 Mythologies, #34 The Short Secret Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella (Audio), #35 America, #36 The Post-Modern Condition: A Report on Knowledge, #37 The Shining, #38 The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories, #39 Rosemary's Baby, #40 Blood and Guts in High School, Plus Two, #41 Naked Lunch: The Restored Text, #42 Watchmen: Redux, #43 Lolita, #44 Beloved, #45 Woman Hollering Creek and Other Stories, #46 The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, #47 Dracula, #48 Behind a Mask: Her Unknown Thrillers, #49 The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Writings, #50 Goblin Market and Other Poems

#48 of 52 Old 11-01-2010, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I know its a little late in coming, but here it is anyway...

I always recommend The Shining and Something Wicked This Way Comes two of the absolute best! Other than that...

Of course there's Dracula by Bram Stoker
The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty
Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill
Midnight by Dean R. Koontz
Off Season by Jack Ketchum
Psycho by Robert Bloch
The Return by Bentley Little
The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris
The Totem by David Morrell
'salem's Lot by Stephen King
Ancient Images by Ramsey Campbell
Bag of Bones by Stephen King
Burnt Offerings by Robert Marasco
Coldheart Canyon by Clive Barker
Ghost Story by Peter Straub
"The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" by Washington Irving
"The Turn of the Screw" by Henry James
"The Wendigo" by Algernon Blackwood
and "The Yellow Wallpaper" by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

#49 of 52 Old 11-01-2010, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

And ... here is November's Thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...php?p=16005953

#50 of 52 Old 11-04-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:

#156 Khai of Khem by Brian Lumley
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliki_kila View Post
How did you like this one? I'm 50 of 57 holds at the library.
I like Room -- I wrote a tiny bit about it here. I was very interested in the idea of what one's assumptions would be if you'd spent your entire childhood in one small room. It wasn't as brutal as it could've been, considering the subject, which I was thankful for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangamitroo View Post
i usually cannot stomach postapocalyptic-style stories, but this sounds very interesting--the secular/religious conflicts etc. how did you like it? years ago i read Nuñez's A Feather on the breath of God, and more recently enjoyed (albeit imperfectly) The last of her kind.
Kanga, Salvation City was definitely interesting -- I've been reading lots of post-apocalyptic stuff lately, and this one was a good addition. It was sad to read about the main character's last days with his parents -- It's so hard to lose someone you love and know that the time you spent together in their last days was so full of difficulty. Like Room,
not as brutal as it could've been.
#51 of 52 Old 11-06-2010, 03:36 PM

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe

This book alternates between the 1991 about a graduate student research the Salem witchcraft trails era and an actual family involved in the trails. The writing was beautiful and the story was pretty good.

#52 of 52 Old 11-15-2010, 09:33 AM

wow!  that's quite a list!  awesome!!!!  i'm prepared to be scared :)  thanks NCD :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post

Quote:

I know its a little late in coming, but here it is anyway...

I always recommend The Shining and Something Wicked This Way Comes two of the absolute best! Other than that...

Of course there's Dracula by Bram Stoker
The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty
Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill
Midnight by Dean R. Koontz
Off Season by Jack Ketchum
Psycho by Robert Bloch
The Return by Bentley Little
The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris
The Totem by David Morrell
'salem's Lot by Stephen King
Ancient Images by Ramsey Campbell
Bag of Bones by Stephen King
Burnt Offerings by Robert Marasco
Coldheart Canyon by Clive Barker
Ghost Story by Peter Straub
"The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" by Washington Irving
"The Turn of the Screw" by Henry James
"The Wendigo" by Algernon Blackwood
and "The Yellow Wallpaper" by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page