October 2010 Book Challenge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 52 Old 10-03-2010, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I know I'm not, so there is no need to correct me) but Fall is the best season of the year for reading. There is nothing better than curling up in a comfy spot on a dark and chilly autumn night with a mug of something warm and reading. Anyway...

So, just by way of clarification (for comers both new and old), new and improved guidelines for the Book Challenge Thread are as follows:

1) Post the books you read ... or not
2) Post a recommendation ... or not
3) Number your book ... or not
4) Make a goal ... or not
5) Have fun with books (This one, unfortunately, is MANDATORY)

So, with that, avante, allons-y and a happy reading September to everyone!

2009's Thread can be found HERE
January's Thread can be found HERE
February's Thread can be found HERE
March's Thread can be found HERE
April's Thread can be found HERE
May's Thread can be found HERE
June's Thread can be found HERE
July's Thread can be found HERE
August's Thread can be found HERE
September's Thread can be found HERE

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#2 of 52 Old 10-03-2010, 10:57 AM

subbing & hoping october is a better reading month for me.

looking for novels of the Middle East & North Africa, if you have any suggestions.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#3 of 52 Old 10-03-2010, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A couple of ARCs I rececived . . .

Frankenstein's Monster by Susan Heyboer O'Keefe

Supposed to be a sequel to Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Just okay.

Guys Read: Funny Business edited by Jon Scieszk

This is a collection of stories by various children's authors, such as Adam Rex, Eoin Colfer, David Lubar, etc. While there were a couple of stories that were just so-so for me, most of them were freaking hilarious. I was laughing out loud through most of the book and ended up reading a couple of stories to my daughters because they just had to know what I was laughing about. I especially liked David Yoo's story of the boy being ousted from his family by a macho turkey and Sciezka and DiCamillo's collaborative story that parodies the book Dear Mr. Henshaw. The only think I didn't like about the book was that Jeff Kinney's story was left out of this advanced review copy . . . but you better believe I will be getting the final version.

Though the recommended age range for the book is 8-12, I felt like some of the stories were more for older kids. I think this would be a perfect book for middle-schoolers -- boys and girls!

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#4 of 52 Old 10-04-2010, 03:15 PM

Happy October, everyone!
#5 of 52 Old 10-07-2010, 11:19 AM

Some Things That Stay by Sarah Willis

Enjoyable coming of age story.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#6 of 52 Old 10-08-2010, 12:39 PM

I kind of still can't believe it's October Just came by to say hi. I have a few books to post, but crazy at the office, I'll have to come back later. Have a great weekend everyone!
#7 of 52 Old 10-08-2010, 09:29 PM

Half the Sky by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn- The global plight of women and how helping women can make an effect in so many ways (younger generations' educations, less violence, etc)

Earth by The Daily Show With Jon Stewart- Hilarious guide to our planet for the aliens... if you like The Daily Show you should definitely read this
#8 of 52 Old 10-09-2010, 12:28 PM

The Kneebone Boy by Ellen Potter

Got an ARC of this book. Just okay . . .

#9 of 52 Old 10-10-2010, 03:29 PM

it the midst of reading the Sookie Stackhouse series, on book 6... will post more later
#10 of 52 Old 10-10-2010, 04:10 PM

The Clockwork Three by Matthew Kirby

LOVED this middle-grade novel. Great characters, lots of suspense. Very enjoyable.

#11 of 52 Old 10-10-2010, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post

LOVED this middle-grade novel. Great characters, lots of suspense. Very enjoyable.
I originally read that as Clockwork Orange a middle-grade novel, and thought that that was a very ... um ... shall we say "liberal" interpretation of that book.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#12 of 52 Old 10-10-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
I originally read that as Clockwork Orange a middle-grade novel, and thought that that was a very ... um ... shall we say "liberal" interpretation of that book.
That reminds me, the Harry Potter stars chose their favorite books for a reading poster and Rupert Grint chose A Clockwork Orange. I guess his selection caused a bit of a stir because parents saw that as him encouraging their kids to read something they wouldn't approve of. I love picking that book off my shelf and reading some of the nonsense conversations and understanding every bit of it.
#13 of 52 Old 10-11-2010, 03:40 PM

Skeletons at the Feast, Bohjalian

Quote:
Prussian aristocrat Rolf Emmerich and his two elder sons are sent into battle, while his wife flees with their other children and a Scottish POW who has been working on their estate. Before long, they meet up with Uri Singer, a Jewish escapee from an Auschwitz-bound train, who becomes the group's protector. In a parallel story line, hundreds of Jewish women shuffle west on a gruesome death march from a concentration camp
I've read quite a bit of holocaust literature, and there's something about this one that's more brutal than many of the other works...perhaps because Uri has seen the worst of the atrocities and recounts them. Underneath it, though, there is the glimmer of hope that always draws me back to such books. Hard to believe such atrocities exist.
#14 of 52 Old 10-11-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:

#15 of 52 Old 10-12-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangamitroo View Post
subbing & hoping october is a better reading month for me.

looking for novels of the Middle East & North Africa, if you have any suggestions.
I'm reading Snow by the Turkish author Orhan Pamuk right now. So far, so good. I've been told that it's best not to start with his novel "My Name is Red", but I don't know for sure why.
#16 of 52 Old 10-14-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post

Cool, thanks Cathe. I'm gonna put it on hold as soon as there is space on my library account.
#17 of 52 Old 10-15-2010, 10:47 AM

Sacred Scars by Kathleen Duey

This is the sequel to Skin Hunger which I read a few weeks ago. This was also good -- it dragged just a bit in the middle for me but really picked up at the end and I can't wait to find out what happens in book 3.

#18 of 52 Old 10-16-2010, 12:14 AM

Stand by Debbie Williamson

Memoir of a women who was raped as a young girl and in an abusive marriage as an adult. While the book could have used some editing and proof-reading, it was very moving.

#19 of 52 Old 10-16-2010, 01:19 PM
#20 of 52 Old 10-16-2010, 06:08 PM

I'll have to come back to do my numbers.

A Northern Light by Jennifer Connelly

Enjoyable read about early 20th century rural life in New York state, told from the perspective of a very smart young woman who would love to go to college, but she's the oldest of 4 or 5 kids and her mom has passed away, so she's stuck at home helping run the house while her dad does the farming and logging required to keep everyone fed. Not as depressing as it sounds.

Dreamers of the Day by Mary Doria Russell

An older single American woman after the influenza epidemic of the early 1900's kills her entire family decides to travel to the middle east. She spends months there and ends up hobnobbing with Lawrence of Arabia, Gertrude Bell, and Winston Churchill. They are all there mapping out the borders of the Middle East after WWI. Fascinating.
#21 of 52 Old 10-16-2010, 11:00 PM

The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt

I really enjoyed this book. It's long (675 pages), and I do think she could have cut out a lot and kept the story whole, but she's the author, you know? It just lagged a bit at the end.

What I loved about it, though, was that it brought me back to my college studies. I was an English Lit major, and this novel is set in the late 1800s- early 1900s in England. It's ths tory of intertwined intellectual families (some of them were pretty messed up). It had mention of the Bloomsbury group (Virginia Woolf, George Orwell, etc) and therefore had mention of historical events like plays, protests, etc.
#22 of 52 Old 10-17-2010, 02:24 PM

not quite finished, but i'm enjoying Randa Jarrar's A Map of Home.

"Born in 1970s Boston to an Egyptian-Greek mother and a Palestinian father, the rebellious Nidali—whose name is a feminization of the word 'struggle'— soon moves to a very different life in Kuwait. There the family leads a mildly eccentric middle-class existence—until the Iraqi invasion drives them first to Egypt and then to Texas."

i still have Knots by Nuruddin Farah on the bedside table and might try again....but it's one of those novels that describes opening the toothpaste, squeezing a bit on the brush, and scrubbing the teeth with careful concentric circles. i thought i would lose my mind in the details.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#23 of 52 Old 10-17-2010, 09:55 PM

Two quick YF reads:

The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things by Carolyn Mackler- Really enjoyable read about learning not to care what others think

Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters by Natalie Standiford- Just okay. She's a decent writer so I'll give her other book a shot too.

Hey, do we have a Mothering group on Goodreads or anything? It might be fun to do an online book club.
#24 of 52 Old 10-18-2010, 10:40 AM

the Onion Girl by Charles de Lint. is part of the Newford series.
http://www.sfsite.com/charlesdelint/onion-desc01.htm

Very deep and thought provoking and not as light of a read as most of the other urban fantasy out there, but really worth reading.
#25 of 52 Old 10-18-2010, 07:56 PM

Disappearing Ingenue by Melissa Pritchard

A book of short stories all about the same character taking her from girlhood through adulthood. Good, if you like short stories.

#26 of 52 Old 10-22-2010, 01:18 PM

1984 by George Orwell- I knew the story and I've seen the play, but I'm so glad I've finally read the book. I loved it! I've always felt guilty that I had never read it since I was an English Lit major in college.
#27 of 52 Old 10-22-2010, 11:35 PM

Reckless by Cornelia Funke

Jacob Reckless has spent more of his life in Mirrorworld where fairies, goyl, unicorns, and other fairy tale creatures abound. When his younger brother Will follows him in, however, he becomes cursed to become one of the angry, stone goyls. Jacob and Will's girlfriend Clara try to undo the curse before it is too late. Recommended for sixth grade and up.

#28 of 52 Old 10-24-2010, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Accidentally posted this in September (wasn't paying attention), so here we are in the right place now:

#47 Dracula
by Bram Stoker
>>The granddaddy of them all. Yes, the language may be a little antiquated by today's standards, but really, this book delivers more chills per page than just about any other I've come across!

#1 Tales from Outer Suburbia, #2 The Men Who Stare at Goats, #3 Under the Dome (Audio), #4 Benito Cereno, #5 Doctor Who: The Rising Night, An Exclusive Audio Adventure (Audio), #6 UR (Audio), #7 Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls, #8 Shutter Island (Audio), #9 Watchmen, #10 The Darwin Awards II: Unnatural Selection (Audio), #11 Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, #12 Still Life: Adventures in Taxidermy, #13 Lovecraft: Tales, #14 Hellboy: Oddest Jobs, #15 Danse Macabre (Audio), #16 Doctor Who: Ghosts of India (Audio) #17 The Iron Man: A Story in Five Nights, #18 The Pop-Up Book of Phobias, #19 The Pop-Up Book of Nightmares, #20 Horns (Audio), #21 Blockade Billy, #22 Titus Andronicus (Bantam Anthology), #23 Doctor Who: Dead Air, An Exclusive Audio Adventure (Audio), #24 The Puppet Masters, #25 The Body Snatchers, #26 Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, #27 The Three Little Pigs Buy the White House, #28 Psycho, #29 The Silence of the Lambs, #30 Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Graphic Novel, #31 Leviathan (Audio), #32 Android Karenina, #33 Mythologies, #34 The Short Secret Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella (Audio), #35 America, #36 The Post-Modern Condition: A Report on Knowledge, #37 The Shining, #38 The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories, #39 Rosemary's Baby, #40 Blood and Guts in High School, Plus Two, #41 Naked Lunch: The Restored Text, #42 Watchmen: Redux, #43 Lolita, #44 Beloved, #45 Woman Hollering Creek and Other Stories, #46 The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, #47 Dracula

#29 of 52 Old 10-24-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Accidentally posted this in September (wasn't paying attention), so here we are in the right place now:

#47 Dracula
by Bram Stoker
>>The granddaddy of them all. Yes, the language may be a little antiquated by today's standards, but really, this book delivers more chills per page than just about any other I've come across!
I LOVE that book.

#30 of 52 Old 10-25-2010, 01:33 AM

Two short but very disturbing books:

Nothing by Janne Teller

This is supposed to be a book for 12 and up but it's pretty heavy and disturbing. It's by a Danish author and translated into English. A 13-year-old boy decides life has no meaning so what is the point of school, work, dating, or anything. A group of his classmates want to prove him wrong so they start the "heap of meaning" in which each of them must add their most meaningful possession. Each kid chooses something for someone else to add and the choices get more horrible as the book goes on. I could see this book opening quite a discussion with teens.

A Special Place by Peter Straub

Uncle Till takes his nephew Keith under his wing . . . unfortunately the uncle is a cold-blooded sociopath. God was this creepy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page