Bollywood playlist? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-11-2010, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just went to see a live Bollywood-style musical at the theater and loved it! We're total newbies at this. Does anyone have any favourite Bollywood music they can suggest?
#2 of 6 Old 10-11-2010, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like the soundtracks from Monsoon Wedding although I don't know if that's technically a Bollywood film.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#3 of 6 Old 10-13-2010, 01:26 PM

Yay, my very favorite topic! I'm a Bollywood nut. Here are some suggestions, along with which film the song is from (you can find just about EVERYTHING on Youtube, by the way, to see what you like).

Classic:

Chalte Chalte Yunhi Koi Mil Gayah, Pakeezah
In Ankhon ki Masti ke, Umrao Jaan
Salaam e Ishq, Mukaddar ka Sikander -- all the songs from this film are excellent
Ek Ladki ko Dekho, 1942: a Love Story
Chura Liya Hai Tumne, Yaadon ki Baraat
Mera Naam Chin Chin Chu, Howraah Bridge
O Haseena Zulfan Wali, Teesri Manzil (definitely watch the visual for this, too -- it's insane!)
Chingari Koi Badke, Amar Prem

Contemporary:

Dola Re, Devdas
Choli Ke Peche, Khalnayak
Suraj Hua Madhan, Kabhi Khushi Khabhi Gham
Chunariya, Na Tum Jaano Na Hum
No. 1 Punjabi, Chori Chori
Dhoom Tana, Om Shanti Om
Mahi Ve, Kal Ho Na Ho
Holi Kheli, Baghban
Badi Mushkil, Lajja

Just plain silly/poppy/fun:

Chandni Chowk to China, title song
It's the Time to Disco, Kal Ho Na Ho
Aashiqui Mein Teri, 36 China Town
Dard-e-Disco, Om Shanti Om
Pyaar Zindagi Hai, Mukadder ka Sikander
Lazy Lamhe, Thoda Pyar Thoda Magic
Hey Ganpat, Shootout at Lokhandwala

You can find a lot of songs on iTunes and eMusic these days, but for the best prices and selection I order a lot of stuff from nehaflix.com -- I've never had a problem with them, they ship fast and get your order right, and CDs are usually around $6. You can get the soundtrack to a particular movie, or there are lots of compilation discs focusing on music from recent movies or particular decades in the past, particular singers or composers, happy songs, love duets ... you name it! So if you become a big Asha Bhosle or Kishore Kumar fan, you can get albums of just their songs. You can also get DVDs with nothing but dance numbers from different movies.
#4 of 6 Old 10-13-2010, 01:35 PM

wow! I can't belive I'm seeing a thread on hindi music here on mdc.

I'd walk to your local indian grocery store/video store (we have them here in teh bible belt, I'm sure there's one close to you), and just ask someone what music they think you'd like.

AR Rehman is an amazing composer, and Lata Mangeshkar has one of the most beautiful voices.

I don't watch hindi movies, but I did grow up listening to CD's that are from teh movies. My fav albums (but a lot of these are influenced by my stage of life at the time) are...

Ram teri Ganga meli (more classical)
Taal (came out when I was a teen)
Dil se, Lagaan, Devdas (college)

and of course, Dil Vale dulhania layjange. Which I admit I like because of the movie.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#5 of 6 Old 10-14-2010, 12:45 PM

texmati, I love the Taal and Dil Se soundtracks, too.

Is your family Indian? Would you mind recommending any non-filmi artists you like? I'm interesting in bhangra, but never know where to start -- I like Hans Raj Hans and Gurdsewak Mann, but there are SO MANY artists ...
#6 of 6 Old 10-14-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia the Muse View Post
texmati, I love the Taal and Dil Se soundtracks, too.

Is your family Indian? Would you mind recommending any non-filmi artists you like? I'm interesting in bhangra, but never know where to start -- I like Hans Raj Hans and Gurdsewak Mann, but there are SO MANY artists ...
Yes we are, but I'm soooo not current. I"ve reached the age where I've started listening to tapes of songs that DH and I used to listen to when we were young. I know that there are up and coming artists... If I hear anythign, I'll let you know!

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page