Towers of Midnight - WoT! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-01-2010, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just thought I'd start a thread for this. The book comes out on November 2nd. I think I will inhale it if dh will let me ...!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Towers-Midnigh...8589883&sr=8-1

I do have apples to sauce and make into apple butter, and dd1 to homeschool, and all sorts of to-do's ....

So inhaling the book makes more sense than dragging it out. Once I'm done, I can get back to Real Life, right?

....I did not reread the last book in preparation for this next book. However, I've found myself thinking more and more of WoT in my day-to-day life ("Wow, that was a very Aes Sedai answer that dh gave!")....

Once we start reading the books, let's make sure we remember to use spoiler tags.

Not all who wander are lost.
#2 of 13 Old 11-01-2010, 04:47 AM

I am going to be reading it.

I inhaled the last but with more to do lately I am not sure how quickly I will get through it.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#3 of 13 Old 11-02-2010, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

I have it, all 843 pages of it. Which probably doesn't include the Prologue pages.

Dh told the girls that they'd see me in a few days, and that they and he would be on their own together until then.

HA.

So we're doing school right now, preparing for a late lunch and the making of sugar cookies before swim lessons etc. If I can hold off until tomorrow night, I will be much more set. I don't know how I could do that, though!! Tomorrow is super-busy and if I spent the whole day obsessing about getting back to the book, it would be miserable....

#4 of 13 Old 11-04-2010, 12:34 AM

I finished it tonight, 34 hours after I got it! So good! The end was much better than the beginning and I thought the beginning was pretty good.

Is anyone else really confused about the rules in TelAranrhiod?

There is one spoiler in the glossary so stay away!

Warning :: Spoiler Ahead! Highlight to read message!
You find out for sure who killed Asmodean!

obstruct livery vehicles

#5 of 13 Old 11-06-2010, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Finally finished!

Thanks for the glossary spoiler tip, Honey963 -- I hadn't flipped through the glossary except to note that it was shorter than some of the other glossaries have been!

IIRC, the 12th book came out last fall. So that means we only have a year to wait for the 14th book, right? (One can hope, can't we?). The last I heard, they expected that #14 would be the final book. I wonder if they have arranged to do a few prequels too .... Maybe a Jain Farstrider book?

So the things I'm wondering:

1. What's going to happen with Setalle? If she is offered and agrees to Healing, we will have the Aes Sedai who knows most about angreal able to work with them again (if she is who I suspect she is).

2. Can Healing repair Moiraine's loss of Power? And, is there any pertinence to the fact that both she and Suian have decreased Power?

3. Where the *heck* did Aviendhra's Rhuidean visions come from, and how will those be resolved (or, are we going to be left at the end of the series expecting that her visions are what will eventually play out?)?

4. Obviously Egwene's Dream with the Seanchan woman saving her was not her initial ascendancy to the Amyrlin Seat. How is the upcoming Seanchan attack going to twist to save the Tower (again??)??

....I think Tuon and and Rand's relationship with the Seanchan will take up a significant part of the final book. It will be interesting to see how that plays out. And, obviously, Tuon's relationship with the Power also needs to be addressed sufficiently. I wonder whether part of Aviendhra's visions at Rhuidiean might have been predicated upon Tuon's path, for now, appearing to continue to be to leash all women who can channel; if that can be changed, then would the future Aviendhra saw, come to fruition?

I still wonder what's up with the Shara. We keep hearing about them - something should be being done about contacting them to incorporate them into the Last Battle.

And, where is Logain? It seems evident that Taim is using Compulsion on his men (and on some of Elaida's Aes Sedai who came to bond warders there) - something needs to be done to address the Dark Tower, quickly.

ETA:

I knew I should have taken the time to reread 12. I don't remember how many letters Verin wrote - I know it was mentioned in 12, but can't recall right now. I wonder if any others are outstanding, or if they have all been delivered and opened by now.

I felt like Sanderson did a passable job -- I miss Jordan's prose. But the plot worked well and there were times I forgot that I was reading Sanderson instead of RJ. I do feel like Sanderson's version of Matrim Cauthon is a little "off," though ...
I don't recall Mat worrying about breaking hearts before.

One thing I've really appreciated about this series is the growth of the female characters. For the first few books, I felt like the women were stilted, and less complex than the men. At this point, the women are dominating the books in many ways, and they don't feel so wooden to me as characters as they did in the initial books. I think this more 'authentic' feel for the female characters began to grow around #6, gathered speed by #9, and has carried forward from that.

[/WOT]
Back to reality I guess - apples to can, and school, and all the mundane daily stuff. But I'll be thinking about this book and checking in here regularly for awhile while mulling things over.

#6 of 13 Old 11-07-2010, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

So, I've been thinking more about

Aviendha's story line -- who was that woman who showed up at her campfire (Forsaken?) ... did that impact what happened when she went through Rhuidean for the second time? And, is it possible that even though 12 ended with Rand on top of Dragonmount, and even though midway through 13, Perrin saw Rand on Dragonmount --- perhaps Aviendha's storyline is behind that, and her visions were a result of occurring prior to Rand's awakening on Dragonmount?

Or, again, is this a result of other things not having happened yet (Mat not having gone into Genji yet, Tuon and Rand not meeting yet)?

I am wondering if her visions are a result of a potential outcome of the Last Battle - that being, Rand dies during or immediately afterwards, as opposed to perhaps Rand surviving? And, again, Rand's death as a result of not having 'awakened' enough yet? Because it seems clear to me that if Rand survives the Last Battle - then the Seanchan, even if he did swear fealty to them, would necessarily be forced to stop leashing women who could channel.

I'm obviously bothered by this.

Honey,
I need to go reread the passage where Moghedien is captured and see ... my memory is too dusty about the difference between her a'dam capture, and the a'dam capture of Egwene in Towers of Midnight.

#7 of 13 Old 11-09-2010, 01:19 AM

I will read it tomorrow while the boards are down.

#8 of 13 Old 11-10-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey693 View Post

I finished it tonight, 34 hours after I got it! So good! The end was much better than the beginning and I thought the beginning was pretty good.

Is anyone else really confused about the rules in TelAranrhiod?

There is one spoiler in the glossary so stay away!

You find out for sure who killed Asmodean!

Honestly, it is about fricken time that one was answered.

#9 of 13 Old 11-13-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanorh View Post

So, I've been thinking more about

Aviendha's story line -- who was that woman who showed up at her campfire (Forsaken?) ... did that impact what happened when she went through Rhuidean for the second time? And, is it possible that even though 12 ended with Rand on top of Dragonmount, and even though midway through 13, Perrin saw Rand on Dragonmount --- perhaps Aviendha's storyline is behind that, and her visions were a result of occurring prior to Rand's awakening on Dragonmount?

Or, again, is this a result of other things not having happened yet (Mat not having gone into Genji yet, Tuon and Rand not meeting yet)?

I am wondering if her visions are a result of a potential outcome of the Last Battle - that being, Rand dies during or immediately afterwards, as opposed to perhaps Rand surviving? And, again, Rand's death as a result of not having 'awakened' enough yet? Because it seems clear to me that if Rand survives the Last Battle - then the Seanchan, even if he did swear fealty to them, would necessarily be forced to stop leashing women who could channel.

I'm obviously bothered by this.

Honey,
I need to go reread the passage where Moghedien is captured and see ... my memory is too dusty about the difference between her a'dam capture, and the a'dam capture of Egwene in Towers of Midnight.

[spoiler]My brother thinks it was Verin.  The timeline is sooooo confusing, but she left for Rhuidean before Verin visited Egwene.[/spoiler]

obstruct livery vehicles

#10 of 13 Old 11-14-2010, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Ack!  It looks like spoiler tags don't work with the new format? 

[spoiler]Let's see whether this shows as spoilers?[/spoiler]

#11 of 13 Old 11-15-2010, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

OK, Spoiler tag update:

Instead of putting the tags in like this [spoiler] [/spoiler] -- all we need to do now is look at the top of the post that we're typing (the options on the top bar of that post) - the black 'talking box' by the smiley face and quotation marks, is the spoiler tag.  Click it, then type whatever would have gone in the spoiler tags, in the yellow bar it gives you.  It works!

[/regularly scheduled WoT discussion] ;)

#12 of 13 Old 11-15-2010, 09:45 PM

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Was anyone else shocked by Moraine's weakness in channeling after she was rescued?  i didn't see that coming and explains how Cyndane is Lanfear (I think).

The new spoiler tag is so cool!!!

obstruct livery vehicles

#13 of 13 Old 11-16-2010, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I did notice that - had remembered what had happened to Lanfear, and wondered

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

whether something similar would happen to Moiraine.  I had hoped it wouldn't.  I like that she has a sink to draw from.  I truly wonder what the meaning is, of both Moiraine and Suiane having been so strong in the Power, and both being rendered much less strong (other than the Dark One's goals to weaken the Dragon's allies). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page