November 2010 Book Thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 11-20-2010, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney

Alex, a high-school junior at an exclusive boarding school, wakes up naked in bed with a boy she doesn't know and and finds she is no longer a virgin. As the hazy events of the night before come back to her in flashes, Alex realizes she has been date-raped. Afraid to go to the police or her parents, she asks the Mockingbirds, a student run judicial system, to take her case.

Enjoyed it . . . though just slightly preachy.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#32 of 51 Old 11-21-2010, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Year of Wonders: A novel of the plague by Geraldine Brooks

a while back i had read a few reviews on this thread--the voices of surprise, indicating that no, a novel about the plague was not just a depressing book, but beautifully written and well worth reading.  i really enjoyed it.  the pain of loss, the surprises of strength and endurance, the herb lore and period language all wove a lovely book. 

always, in any time period, i find it very very hard to read about someone losing a child.  however, when i realized i had survived novels about the Taliban, i decided i could handle this just fine.

on a much lighter note, next up i have Anthony Bourdain's A Cook's Tour

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#33 of 51 Old 11-21-2010, 08:09 PM

The Personal History of Rachael DuPree by Ann Weisgarber

Enjoyable book about a African American family homesteading in the early 1900's.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#34 of 51 Old 11-23-2010, 10:34 AM

Room by Emma Donoghue

Sorry of a girl who was kidnapped when she was 19 and locked in a shed in the man's backyard. During that time, she has a child. The story is told from the child's (Jack's) point of view beginning from his fifth birthday. Room is the only world he's ever known. I read this in one day . . . just had to know how it was going to turn out. I don't want to give away more than that.

#35 of 51 Old 11-23-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangamitroo View Post

Year of Wonders: A novel of the plague by Geraldine Brooks

a while back i had read a few reviews on this thread--the voices of surprise, indicating that no, a novel about the plague was not just a depressing book, but beautifully written and well worth reading.  i really enjoyed it.  the pain of loss, the surprises of strength and endurance, the herb lore and period language all wove a lovely book. 

always, in any time period, i find it very very hard to read about someone losing a child.  however, when i realized i had survived novels about the Taliban, i decided i could handle this just fine.

on a much lighter note, next up i have Anthony Bourdain's A Cook's Tour

It was really good right?  Her writing is amazing.  And Anthony Bourdain is a good follow up, much more lighthearted :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post

Room by Emma Donoghue

Sorry of a girl who was kidnapped when she was 19 and locked in a shed in the man's backyard. During that time, she has a child. The story is told from the child's (Jack's) point of view beginning from his fifth birthday. Room is the only world he's ever known. I read this in one day . . . just had to know how it was going to turn out. I don't want to give away more than that.

That sounds kinda fascinating.....I'm adding it to my list :D

I have a bunch of books to post.  I'll be back tomorrow once I get my desk at work clear :D

#36 of 51 Old 11-24-2010, 11:34 AM

Secrets of Eden, Bohjalian

Quote:
The morning after her baptism into the Rev. Stephen Drew's Vermont Baptist church, Alice Hayward and her abusive husband are found dead in their home, an apparent murder-suicide. Stephen, the novel's first narrator, is so racked with guilt over his failure to save Alice that he leaves town. Soon, he meets Heather Laurent, the author of a book about angels whose own parents' marriage also ended in tragedy. Stephen's deeply sympathetic narration is challenged by the next two narrators: deputy state attorney Catherine Benincasa, whose suspicions are aroused initially by Stephen's abrupt departure (and then by questions about his relationship with Alice), and Heather, who distances herself from Stephen for similar reasons and risks the trip into her dark past by seeking out Katie, the Haywards' now-orphaned 15-year-old daughter who puts into play the final pieces of the puzzle, setting things up for a touching twist.

I was a little disappointed by this, I felt like as soon as I knew there was a "twist," I knew exactly what it was going to be.  But overall an interesting perspective on domestic violence.

#37 of 51 Old 11-26-2010, 05:17 AM

Obsession, Jonathan Kellerman

Quote:
 Once again, Delaware, an accomplished psychologist, teams with his friend Milo Sturgis, an LAPD detective, to probe a mystery, though this time there's considerable doubt as to the nature of the puzzle. Teenager Tanya Bigelow, whom Delaware treated as a child for obsessive-compulsive disorder, consults him because her aunt Patty, who raised her, conveyed a cryptic message just before she died, apparently confessing to a crime. Shortly after Delaware and Sturgis start investigating, one of Patty's former neighbors turns up dead, the first in a series of corpses that appear, possibly as a result of the duo's turning over old rocks. Since the identity of the killer is revealed relatively early on, the final sections are short on suspense.  

A solid contribution to the Delaware series...some gaps in the plot (one character, who basically solved the puzzle, appeared out of nowhere) but a suspenseful look a the seedy underside of Hollywood's B-list nonetheless.

#38 of 51 Old 11-26-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post

Room by Emma Donoghue

This was such an intense plot!

#39 of 51 Old 11-27-2010, 10:16 AM

Sunstroke, Kellerman

Quote:
 Uncovering a secret life isn't a very original plot, but then again, neither is boy meets girl; it all depends on what the writer does with it. And in his extraordinarily self-assured debut novel, playwright Kellerman (son of Faye and Jonathan) shows that he could probably take us on a compelling journey to the water cooler. L.A. novelty-company secretary Gloria Mendez, in love with her boss, is heartbroken when he dies while on vacation in Mexico. No family comes forward, so she heads south to claim the body. In sun-bleached Aguas Vivas, a dead town whose only industry is its graveyard, she finds ashes and a suspicious-acting cop. As Kellerman teasingly plays pieces of the puzzle, Gloria soon learns that nearly everything about the man she longed for has been a mirage--and she learns a few things about herself, too.

The characters in this story were very well-drawn -- however the plot seemed to have some gaps.  Interesting first novel, though.

#40 of 51 Old 11-29-2010, 05:26 AM

Spirits in The Wires by Charles De Lint

http://www.sfsite.com/charlesdelint/spirits-desc01.htm

I just loved this book and from the description I was not sure I would!

When a new website is created a Spirit takes possession of it and the site has a life of its own. People are born out of this site. All goes well until the site gets attacked by a virus, and then people get sucked into the website. It becomes a quest to rescue loved ones involving the help of tinker who travels between worlds, a guitar player who has made a pack and sold his soul to the Spirit of the Crossroads only to figure out how to live forever and a fairy queen who lives in a shopping mall. Like all De Lint novels the human characters are very real and likable.

#41 of 51 Old 11-29-2010, 01:00 PM

I can't remember what I have already posted, so some of this might be a repeat.  Just cleaning out my little file of what's been on the stacks lately.  My goal to get everything out of the pending to read piles in the closet is going okay.  I haven't counted but it's almost down to one really tall stack.biggrinbounce.gif

#52 Pearl of China by Anchee Min

A fictionalized account of Pearl S Buck's life told from the perspective of her best childhood friend.  I felt like I learned a lot of Chinese history.  I knew a little about the Communist revolution, but not a lot about what had happened before that.  Very interesting.  I'd like to read more by this author and also Pearl S. Buck's books.  Those have been on my list for a long time.

#53 A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon

Always a good one, Diana Gabaldon.  I've read all of her books, so I feel like I am visiting with old friends when I read another one.  Would read the next one in the series right away, if it were not for my clean out the closet full of books goal. orngtongue.gif

#54 Dreamers of the Day by Mary Doria Russell

I really liked this book, and checked out Lawrence of Arabia from the library after reading it just to refresh my memory.  This is a story about an "old maid" school teacher from the early 20th century.  She's lost her entire family to the influenza epidemic and decides she's not going to be a shrinking flower anymore and retires and travels to the Middle East.  She ends up spending lots of time with TE Lawrence, Winston Churchill and Gertrude Bell.  Fascinating stuff.

#55 A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly

A story about a young woman in rural NY state at the beginning of the 20th century.  She could have a future going to college, but circumstances are against her.  She's the oldest in a large poor family that lives on a farm and her mother has passed away.  It's difficult for her to even think of getting a job and/or spending time on schoolwork.  Sounds bleak, but was actually pretty good.

#56 The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

Hmmm, I wanted to like this.  And I enjoyed Oscar Wilde's prose.  However, I found most of the characters in the novel so, well, repulsive is a strong word, but really, not likeable, not relatable, irritating.  So, I had a hard time getting into the book.   Beyond that though, cool storyline, beautiful writing.  I'll check out some of his other books.

#57 Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Hoeg

Loved this.  I remember liking the movie when I saw it years ago.  Whodunit, conspiracy, mysterious science experiment, fun stuff.

#58 The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon

Good story about an autistic boy who solves a mystery.  My daughter did not like the cover of the book showing the dog with the pitchfork stuck in it.  I liked his narrative voice though. 

#59 The Almond Picker by Simonetta Agnello Hornby

Enh.  Story of an older woman who was the family household caretaker for a wealthy Italian family in Sicily.  She dies and it's a mystery to solve as to why she requested her obituary and memorial be handled the way it was.  Interesting story line, and I read to the end just to find out what happened, but I felt like they sort of drew the story out just to add pages. 

#60 Intuition by Allegra Goodman

Story about a research facility and what happens as a potential mistake gets uncovered.  Good insight into research facility culture.

#42 of 51 Old 11-30-2010, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

#54 The Passage (Audio)
by Justin Cronin

read by Scott Brick, Adenrele Ojo and Abby Craden
>>There's been a lot of hype surrounding this book, and I have to say that it is all pretty much justified ... at least for this reader.  I highly enjoyed it, in spite of the fact that the audiobook's 36.75 hour-length took me 78 days to get through ... talk about a reading (or rather, listening) commitment.  Though I will warn, if you are looking for closure in your books, then this might not be the one for you, I have only just found out that it is Part One in a planned trilogy.  Talk about cliffhangers!

#1 Tales from Outer Suburbia, #2 The Men Who Stare at Goats, #3 Under the Dome (Audio), #4 Benito Cereno, #5 Doctor Who: The Rising Night, An Exclusive Audio Adventure (Audio), #6 UR (Audio), #7 Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls, #8 Shutter Island (Audio), #9 Watchmen, #10 The Darwin Awards II: Unnatural Selection (Audio), #11 Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, #12 Still Life: Adventures in Taxidermy, #13 Lovecraft: Tales, #14 Hellboy: Oddest Jobs, #15 Danse Macabre (Audio), #16 Doctor Who: Ghosts of India (Audio) #17 The Iron Man: A Story in Five Nights, #18 The Pop-Up Book of Phobias, #19 The Pop-Up Book of Nightmares, #20 Horns (Audio), #21 Blockade Billy, #22 Titus Andronicus (Bantam Anthology), #23 Doctor Who: Dead Air, An Exclusive Audio Adventure (Audio), #24 The Puppet Masters, #25 The Body Snatchers, #26 Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, #27 The Three Little Pigs Buy the White House, #28 Psycho, #29 The Silence of the Lambs, #30 Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Graphic Novel, #31 Leviathan (Audio), #32 Android Karenina, #33 Mythologies, #34 The Short Secret Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella (Audio), #35 America, #36 The Post-Modern Condition: A Report on Knowledge, #37 The Shining, #38 The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories, #39 Rosemary's Baby, #40 Blood and Guts in High School, Plus Two, #41 Naked Lunch: The Restored Text, #42 Watchmen: Redux, #43 Lolita, #44 Beloved, #45 Woman Hollering Creek and Other Stories, #46 The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, #47 Dracula, #48 Behind a Mask: Her Unknown Thrillers, #49 The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Writings, #50 Goblin Market and Other Poems, #51 Recreational Terror: Women and the Pleasures of Horror Film Viewing, #52 The Stepford Wives, #53 Men, Women, and Chainsaws: Gender in the Modern Horror Film, #54 The Passage (Audio)

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#43 of 51 Old 11-30-2010, 08:41 PM

Interesting recommendations to check out when my pile gets lower  . . . . .

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

I'm pretty sure I read this before but in any case I thoroughly enjoyed it. The writing is just so rich and the characters wonderful. I'm reading A Christmas Carol to my daughters, as well.

#44 of 51 Old 12-01-2010, 06:38 PM

Just finished White Fang.  Not sure what number - 89ish.  I need to make it to 100 before the year is up.  I'm torn between which I like better, White Fang or Call of the Wild.  I think I will read the other one again so I can compare.  The Call of the Wild, of course, is about a tame dog becoming wild and White Fang is about a wild dog/wolf becoming tame. 

Does anybody know if it is possible to purchase a book you have checked out from the library?  I checked out a book that I fell in love with and I don't want to give it back.  I'm wondering if they will let me purchase it or buy them a new replacement in exchange for this old, beat up copy that I love so much?

#45 of 51 Old 12-02-2010, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliki_kila View Post

Does anybody know if it is possible to purchase a book you have checked out from the library?  I checked out a book that I fell in love with and I don't want to give it back.  I'm wondering if they will let me purchase it or buy them a new replacement in exchange for this old, beat up copy that I love so much?

Just don't turn it in and tell them you lost it, then pay the replacement fee.  Same difference.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#46 of 51 Old 12-02-2010, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

December's Thread is here: http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1283131/december-2010-book-thread

#47 of 51 Old 12-04-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama View Post

I can't remember what I have already posted, so some of this might be a repeat.  Just cleaning out my little file of what's been on the stacks lately.  My goal to get everything out of the pending to read piles in the closet is going okay.  I haven't counted but it's almost down to one really tall stack.biggrinbounce.gif

Always a good one, Diana Gabaldon.  I've read all of her books, so I feel like I am visiting with old friends when I read another one.  Would read the next one in the series right away, if it were not for my clean out the closet full of books goal. orngtongue.gif

Loved this.  I remember liking the movie when I saw it years ago.  Whodunit, conspiracy, mysterious science experiment, fun stuff.

hmmm... maybe I should re-read some Claire and Jamie...

I remember not liking Smilla's Sense of Snow and I've been somehow equating that dislike with my dislike of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy.....  ?

I'm just finishing up Healing the Hurt, Restoring the Hope:  How to Guide Children and Teens through Times of Divorce, Death, and Crisis with the RAINBOWS Approach by Suzy Yehl Marta and it has just been excellent.   One of many blog posts I wrote about it.

#48 of 51 Old 12-04-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliki_kila View Post

Just don't turn it in and tell them you lost it, then pay the replacement fee.  Same difference.

That's what I was going to say too.  I just bought a children's book for $15 that my daughter accidentally left in the backyard and it's been sitting out there since September.  It's a little water damaged. lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufomander View Post

Quote:

I remember not liking Smilla's Sense of Snow and I've been somehow equating that dislike with my dislike of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy.....  ?

I'm just finishing up Healing the Hurt, Restoring the Hope:  How to Guide Children and Teens through Times of Divorce, Death, and Crisis with the RAINBOWS Approach by Suzy Yehl Marta and it has just been excellent.   One of many blog posts I wrote about it.

I kinda thought Smilla's Sense of Snow reminded me of the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.  Maybe it's that Scandinavian bleak wintry flavor or something?  I liked The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo though :D

#49 of 51 Old 12-04-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I kinda thought Smilla's Sense of Snow reminded me of the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.  Maybe it's that Scandinavian bleak wintry flavor or something?  I liked The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo though :D

Yeah, I think it is the bleak hopelessness...I feel guilty, though -- in a similar vein to my guilty over liking the Isabel Dalhousie books better than No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. 

#50 of 51 Old 12-05-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, I think it is the bleak hopelessness...I feel guilty, though -- in a similar vein to my guilty over liking the Isabel Dalhousie books better than No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. 

Oh, I wouldn't feel guilty about liking something better than No. 1 Ladie's Detective Agency.  The novelty wore off on those for me about 2 books in.  How many are there?

#51 of 51 Old 12-07-2010, 05:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Oh, I wouldn't feel guilty about liking something better than No. 1 Ladie's Detective Agency.  The novelty wore off on those for me about 2 books in.  How many are there?

Oh good.  :)  I feel very vindicated.  I think there are at least 6 or 7 now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page