November 2010 Book Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 11-01-2010, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fall is in full swing, and as we all slowly come out of our Halloween-candy-induced comas, here is November's thread all ready and rarin' to go.

So, just by way of clarification (for comers both new and old), new and improved guidelines for the Book Challenge Thread are as follows:

1) Post the books you read ... or not
2) Post a recommendation ... or not
3) Number your book ... or not
4) Make a goal ... or not
5) Have fun with books (This one, unfortunately, is MANDATORY)

So, with that, avante, allons-y and a happy reading November to everyone!

2009's Thread can be found HERE
January's Thread can be found HERE
February's Thread can be found HERE
March's Thread can be found HERE
April's Thread can be found HERE
May's Thread can be found HERE
June's Thread can be found HERE
July's Thread can be found HERE
August's Thread can be found HERE
September's Thread can be found HERE
October's Thread can be found HERE

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#2 of 51 Old 11-04-2010, 12:09 PM

28-37# Sookie Stackhouse series - it is good! well worth the read if you like supernatural books with a shot of romance :-)

which pushes me over my years goal so everything now is gravy! will set a higher goal for 2011 :-))
#3 of 51 Old 11-04-2010, 02:44 PM

Looking for Alaska

Quote:
Sixteen-year-old Miles Halter's adolescence has been one long nonevent - no challenge, no girls, no mischief, and no real friends. Seeking what Rabelais called the "Great Perhaps," he leaves Florida for a boarding school in **********, AL.
I didn't love this as much as some of the other books I've read by Greene, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Monster

Quote:
teve Harmon, 16, is accused of serving as a lookout for a robbery of a Harlem drugstore. The owner was shot and killed, and now Steve is in prison awaiting trial for murder. From there, he tells about his case and his incarceration. Many elements of this story are familiar, but Myers keeps it fresh and alive by telling it from an unusual perspective. Steve, an amateur filmmaker, recounts his experiences in the form of a movie screenplay. His striking scene-by-scene narrative of how his life has dramatically changed is riveting. Interspersed within the script are diary entries in which the teen vividly describes the nightmarish conditions of his confinement.
#4 of 51 Old 11-04-2010, 04:23 PM

Faithful by Marianne Faithful and David Dalton http://www.amazon.com/Faithfull-Auto.../dp/0815410468
My interest started because my son had to do a report on Mick Jagger. While helping him go over all the material, I came across the name Marianne Faithful who was Mick Jaggers girl friend from 1966 -1970 and I remembered when I was a very little girl my mother having her album ( and I am probably older than a lot of you so I am talking about Tears go By and not Broken English which came out when I was a young adult) I had not thought about her in years, but was captivated as I read about how after her famous break up with Mick Jagger (he wrote Wild Horses about her) she became a homeless heroin addict for about 3 years before she resurfaced in the music scene with Broken English. I was also not aware that she has made many recordings since, although I knew she had acted in Sophie Copola's Marie Antoinette film playing Maria Teresa.
It was fascinating reading about the late 60s hippy era and her relationship with the Rolling Stones. It was difficult reading through all her drug abuse but in spite of this the book is really an interesting read!
#5 of 51 Old 11-07-2010, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

#51 Recreational Terror: Women and the Pleasures of Horror Film Viewing
by Isabel Cristina Pinedo
>>I'm writing a seminar paper on the postmodern horror film and its relation to both 2nd and 3rd Wave feminism as well as the theory of the "Final Girl" and how it relates to the films "The Descent" and "The Descent 2," so this was a necessary reading to make my argument. Outside of that, though, it is a very interesting look at not only the postmodern horror film movement, but also a very interesting look into why women enjoy horror films so much (especially of the slasher genre) and how this fact is often overlooked in both social and academic criticism of the genre.

#1 Tales from Outer Suburbia, #2 The Men Who Stare at Goats, #3 Under the Dome (Audio), #4 Benito Cereno, #5 Doctor Who: The Rising Night, An Exclusive Audio Adventure (Audio), #6 UR (Audio), #7 Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls, #8 Shutter Island (Audio), #9 Watchmen, #10 The Darwin Awards II: Unnatural Selection (Audio), #11 Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, #12 Still Life: Adventures in Taxidermy, #13 Lovecraft: Tales, #14 Hellboy: Oddest Jobs, #15 Danse Macabre (Audio), #16 Doctor Who: Ghosts of India (Audio) #17 The Iron Man: A Story in Five Nights, #18 The Pop-Up Book of Phobias, #19 The Pop-Up Book of Nightmares, #20 Horns (Audio), #21 Blockade Billy, #22 Titus Andronicus (Bantam Anthology), #23 Doctor Who: Dead Air, An Exclusive Audio Adventure (Audio), #24 The Puppet Masters, #25 The Body Snatchers, #26 Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, #27 The Three Little Pigs Buy the White House, #28 Psycho, #29 The Silence of the Lambs, #30 Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Graphic Novel, #31 Leviathan (Audio), #32 Android Karenina, #33 Mythologies, #34 The Short Secret Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella (Audio), #35 America, #36 The Post-Modern Condition: A Report on Knowledge, #37 The Shining, #38 The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories, #39 Rosemary's Baby, #40 Blood and Guts in High School, Plus Two, #41 Naked Lunch: The Restored Text, #42 Watchmen: Redux, #43 Lolita, #44 Beloved, #45 Woman Hollering Creek and Other Stories, #46 The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, #47 Dracula, #48 Behind a Mask: Her Unknown Thrillers, #49 The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Writings, #50 Goblin Market and Other Poems, #51 Recreational Terror: Women and the Pleasures of Horror Film Viewing

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#6 of 51 Old 11-08-2010, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

#52 The Stepford Wives
by Ira Levin
>>My masters thesis is going to be on the ways in which the horror genre (both in literature and on film) responds to and reacts against social change, and since I'll be focusing on horror of the 1970s in particular, The Stepford Wives was "required" reading. On top of that, it's a pretty damn scary novel.

#1 Tales from Outer Suburbia, #2 The Men Who Stare at Goats, #3 Under the Dome (Audio), #4 Benito Cereno, #5 Doctor Who: The Rising Night, An Exclusive Audio Adventure (Audio), #6 UR (Audio), #7 Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls, #8 Shutter Island (Audio), #9 Watchmen, #10 The Darwin Awards II: Unnatural Selection (Audio), #11 Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, #12 Still Life: Adventures in Taxidermy, #13 Lovecraft: Tales, #14 Hellboy: Oddest Jobs, #15 Danse Macabre (Audio), #16 Doctor Who: Ghosts of India (Audio) #17 The Iron Man: A Story in Five Nights, #18 The Pop-Up Book of Phobias, #19 The Pop-Up Book of Nightmares, #20 Horns (Audio), #21 Blockade Billy, #22 Titus Andronicus (Bantam Anthology), #23 Doctor Who: Dead Air, An Exclusive Audio Adventure (Audio), #24 The Puppet Masters, #25 The Body Snatchers, #26 Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, #27 The Three Little Pigs Buy the White House, #28 Psycho, #29 The Silence of the Lambs, #30 Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Graphic Novel, #31 Leviathan (Audio), #32 Android Karenina, #33 Mythologies, #34 The Short Secret Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella (Audio), #35 America, #36 The Post-Modern Condition: A Report on Knowledge, #37 The Shining, #38 The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories, #39 Rosemary's Baby, #40 Blood and Guts in High School, Plus Two, #41 Naked Lunch: The Restored Text, #42 Watchmen: Redux, #43 Lolita, #44 Beloved, #45 Woman Hollering Creek and Other Stories, #46 The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, #47 Dracula, #48 Behind a Mask: Her Unknown Thrillers, #49 The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Writings, #50 Goblin Market and Other Poems, #51 Recreational Terror: Women and the Pleasures of Horror Film Viewing, #52 The Stepford Wives

#7 of 51 Old 11-08-2010, 11:01 AM

The Reckoning by Kelly Armstrong http://www.kelleyarmstrong.com/the-reckoning/
Is the Third Book of the Darkest Powers Trilogy. http://www.kelleyarmstrong.com/books/
If you want a real page turner, something escapist, urban fantasy that is easy to read, yet not trashy, then this YA books is for you! However if you don’t want to read about ghosts and zombies I would skip it!
#8 of 51 Old 11-11-2010, 04:57 AM

Devil's Labyrinthe, Saul

Quote:
 It's a demonic-possession yarn set in a Catholic prep school in Boston, to which 15-year-old Ryan McIntyre's Iraq War–widowed mom, on the advice of boyfriend Tom Kelly, sends him after he is hospitalized from being beaten at public school. Two boys Ryan's age have disappeared from St. Isaac, but Kelly assures her that his good friend at the school, Father Sebastian, psychologist as well as priest, can help Ryan accept his father's demise. By the end of Ryan's first week at St. Isaac, one of the missing boys has been killed by police while committing bloody murder. During week two, Ryan finds the corpse of the other missing boy in the underground tunnels beneath the school. But Father Sebastian near-simultaneously finds Ryan. The psychologist-priest is an exorcist, too, and has found an ancient summoning rite that allows an exorcist control of the evil to be found in anyone. Sebastian has been testing his find on St. Isaac's students, and he definitely has an agenda, part of which is to get Pope Innocent XIV to come to Boston.  

Honestly, this is one of the worst books I've ever listened to.  Unnecessarily gory, and IMHO very anti-islam.  Ridiculous.

#9 of 51 Old 11-11-2010, 06:56 AM

84.  Dracula by Bram Stoker 

Finally finished this one that I started on Halloween.  I enjoyed it - especially the beginning when Jonathan gets trapped in Dracula's castle. 

85.  Ireland by Frank Delaney 

A storyteller travels around Ireland to tell stories of the country's myths and legends.  He arrives at one little boy's house and the boy is besotted with him.  The little boy becomes fascinated with history and myth and spends his life studying Ireland's history and tracking down the elusive storyteller.  Every other chapter is someone telling a story and the chapters in between are about the boy and his family.

#10 of 51 Old 11-11-2010, 06:59 AM

How do I get rid of that pregnant lady under my name?  I've been trying for a baby for 3 years now and I really don't want that there.  greensad.gif  eta:  nevermind, I figured it out.

#11 of 51 Old 11-11-2010, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yikes . . . this new format his freaky!

So, I've been stuck in the Oct. thread and just noticed we're in November. Yes, things have been super busy as I tried to finish up my new book and get to agent. Anyway, just read this one:

Second Hand Heart by Catherine Ryan Hyde

This one was released only in the UK but I got a copy thanks to a blog contest. Interesting premise: a woman dies in a car accident and her heart is donated to a 19-year-old girl. The girl begins to have memories from the donor and falls in love with the donor's husband. The story is told from the alternating perspectives of the girl and the husband. I really enjoyed it. Hyde is a such a good writer; I was drawn in from the first page.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#12 of 51 Old 11-12-2010, 10:03 PM

Nature Girl by Jane Kelley

Loved this middle-grade novel about an eleven-year-old girl stuck in Vermont for the summer--no Internet, no cell phone, and worst of all her best friend cancelled at the last minute. Unfortunately, Megan does not take to Vermont very well. She refuses to participate in "art time" or appreciate the beauty of the country. Basically she is a big pill -- even to her friend who only cancelled because her mom's cancer treatments were not going well. When Megan gets lost during a hike and ends up on the Appalachian Trial, she decides she will walk to Massachusetts to be with her friend. After all, it's only 30 miles or so. She figured she'd make it by nightfall . . . Not quite. But she does have quite an adventure and learns something about herself too. I loved the voice of the character, loved the story, and had quite a few laughs. I'll definitely be recommending this to my daughters and my elementary school students.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#13 of 51 Old 11-12-2010, 10:08 PM

The Dreamer by Pam Munoz Ryan

Beautiful, sad, wonderful book!

#14 of 51 Old 11-13-2010, 08:28 AM

Continuing my middle-grade readathon (just got my book order in for the library and trying to read as many as possible so I can talk them up to the kids next week).

Star in the Forest by Laura Resau

Scary topic put into a format for younger readers: Zitlally's dad is stopped for speeding and the police discovered he was an illegal immigrant so he's deported. Zitlally and her family try to make ends meet without him while worrying whether he will safely make it back to them. This is a great story for kids to learn about a tough situation that many children go through. The addition of the dog and the friends issues make the book even more relatable to everyone. Recommended for 3rd - 6th grade.

#15 of 51 Old 11-13-2010, 09:37 AM

Hmmmmm, wow, quite a change in this format!  I have books to post, but am slammed at the office.  I'll come back soon.  :D  Hope you are all having a wonderful autumn :D

eta, where did all the images come from?  i'm curious if the images next to our name are randomly picked?  i kinda like mine anyway....

#16 of 51 Old 11-13-2010, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama View Post
eta, where did all the images come from?  i'm curious if the images next to our name are randomly picked?  i kinda like mine anyway....

I think they came with the new upgrade.  I'm guessing they were randomly chosen because my first one was a pregnant earthy momma which, while cool, needed to be changed because, well, it just wasn't representative of me, and since I;m assuming they wouldn't want my typical style of avatars (Jack Nicholson from The Shining, a zombie girl, other odd-off-beat photos), I chose the tie-dyed peace symbol.

#17 of 51 Old 11-14-2010, 08:39 AM

Sacred Games, Chandra

Quote:
 Mumbai in all its seedy glory is at the center of Vikram Chandra's episodic novel, which follows the fortunes of two opposing characters: the jaded Sikh policeman, Sartaj Singh, who first appeared in the story "Kama," and Ganesh Gaitonde, a famous Hindu Bhai who "dallied with bejewelled starlets, bankrolled politicians" and whose "daily skim from Bombay's various criminal dhandas was said to be greater than annual corporate incomes." Sartaj, still handsome and impeccably turned out, is now divorced, weary and resigned to his post, complicit in the bribes and police brutality that oil the workings of his city. Sartaj is ambivalent about his choices, but Gaitone is hungry for position and wealth from the moment he commits his first murder as a young man. A confrontation between the two men opens the novel, with Gaitonde taunting Sartaj from inside the protection of his strange shell-like bunker.

This is a long, dense book -- I don't know that I've spent this long with a book in years.  It's multilayered, rich, and altogether fascinating and beautifully written. I'm very glad that I stuck with it.

#18 of 51 Old 11-14-2010, 04:16 PM

A Whole Nother Story by Dr. Cuthbert Soup

Fun read in the same style as Series of Unfortunate Events (in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Lemony Snickett and Dr. Cuthbert Soup were one and the same). In this book, the Cheeseman family is on the run from government agents, spies, and evil corporations who are want to get their hands on Mr. Cheeseman's latest invention. 

#19 of 51 Old 11-14-2010, 05:51 PM

this month has been very, very slow for reading.  read a slim volume by Imam Al-Ghazali, Inner Dimensions of Islamic Worship.  interesting and helpful, but not exactly a general interest title.

i have to go back to some of the book blogs i used to visit, because i need ideas for novels to read.  maybe B Kingsolver's Lacuna?  or G Brooks People of the Book? 

with dd i have just started Erin Hunter's Warriors series, and she is very excited about the first book.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#20 of 51 Old 11-14-2010, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I've been reading...

Harvesting the Heart by Jodi Picoult. Not her usual - well, I've only read one other one, House Rules, but Mum's a fan and it seems most of her books are sort of medical-ethical in focus. This was basically a rather depressing love story about a woman whose mother left as a kid, and when she has a baby she gets awful PPD and goes to find her mother, leaving *her* baby in the process. It was well-written, but I didn't like it much. The husband, Nicholas, was a total jerk and yet you were supposed to like him (sort of, anyway).

A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby. About four people who all try to kill themselves by jumping off a building, but they all choose the same time and place and end up forming a kind of cynical support group as they decide to give life another six weeks before jumping. It's good, typical Hornby - written from four different perspectives, very witty and a nice mix of upbeat and depressing.

Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures - can't remember the author. I haven't finished it yet. The chapters are only vaguely related - about a few doctors and patients. The chapter I found most interesting was a woman in labour with a prolapsed cord. They prepped her for an emergency C-section, but they kept paging the anaesthetist and he wouldn't come, and the baby's heart rate kept dropping... so she eventually told them to go ahead and do it without anaesthetic. It was pretty powerful, but I'm currently pregnant so that kind of thing gets to me. :p

Now I'm trying not to read fiction, because I have an article on child-led weaning due in a week. So I'm reading La Leche League's "How Weaning Happens", which is surprisingly good - not at all "militant", and just chock-full of real women's experiences, lots of suggestions for gently nudging weaning, and so on. I guess Breast is Best - forget the author - will be next on my list.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#21 of 51 Old 11-15-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post

Yikes . . . this new format his freaky!

So, I've been stuck in the Oct. thread and just noticed we're in November. Yes, things have been super busy as I tried to finish up my new book and get to agent. Anyway, just read this one:

Second Hand Heart by Catherine Ryan Hyde

This one was released only in the UK but I got a copy thanks to a blog contest. Interesting premise: a woman dies in a car accident and her heart is donated to a 19-year-old girl. The girl begins to have memories from the donor and falls in love with the donor's husband. The story is told from the alternating perspectives of the girl and the husband. I really enjoyed it. Hyde is a such a good writer; I was drawn in from the first page.

She's the Pay It Forward woman, eh?  Do you know why it was only published in the UK?

Quote:

Nature Girl by Jane Kelley

Loved this middle-grade novel about an eleven-year-old girl stuck in Vermont for the summer--no Internet, no cell phone, and worst of all her best friend cancelled at the last minute. Unfortunately, Megan does not take to Vermont very well. She refuses to participate in "art time" or appreciate the beauty of the country. Basically she is a big pill -- even to her friend who only cancelled because her mom's cancer treatments were not going well. When Megan gets lost during a hike and ends up on the Appalachian Trial, she decides she will walk to Massachusetts to be with her friend. After all, it's only 30 miles or so. She figured she'd make it by nightfall . . . Not quite. But she does have quite an adventure and learns something about herself too. I loved the voice of the character, loved the story, and had quite a few laughs. I'll definitely be recommending this to my daughters and my elementary school students.

Put it on hold, after reading this.

Quote:

The Dreamer by Pam Munoz Ryan

Beautiful, sad, wonderful book!

I have this one out -- maybe Fiona and I will read it next. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kofduke View Post

Sacred Games, Chandra

Quote:
 Mumbai in all its seedy glory is at the center of Vikram Chandra's episodic novel, which follows the fortunes of two opposing characters: the jaded Sikh policeman, Sartaj Singh, who first appeared in the story "Kama," and Ganesh Gaitonde, a famous Hindu Bhai who "dallied with bejewelled starlets, bankrolled politicians" and whose "daily skim from Bombay's various criminal dhandas was said to be greater than annual corporate incomes." Sartaj, still handsome and impeccably turned out, is now divorced, weary and resigned to his post, complicit in the bribes and police brutality that oil the workings of his city. Sartaj is ambivalent about his choices, but Gaitone is hungry for position and wealth from the moment he commits his first murder as a young man. A confrontation between the two men opens the novel, with Gaitonde taunting Sartaj from inside the protection of his strange shell-like bunker.

This is a long, dense book -- I don't know that I've spent this long with a book in years.  It's multilayered, rich, and altogether fascinating and beautifully written. I'm very glad that I stuck with it.

I saw this author speak and it was fun.

Quote:

A Whole Nother Story by Dr. Cuthbert Soup

Fun read in the same style as Series of Unfortunate Events (in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Lemony Snickett and Dr. Cuthbert Soup were one and the same). In this book, the Cheeseman family is on the run from government agents, spies, and evil corporations who are want to get their hands on Mr. Cheeseman's latest invention. 

I loved this one, too. 

DD and I just finished What Happened on Fox Street by Tricia Springstubb.  It was okay. . . DD says "I liked it a lot." 

I agree that this new format feels very different!

#22 of 51 Old 11-15-2010, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I read two today - one fairly unmemorable trashy chick-lit book called "The Men's Guide to the Women's Bathroom". I like books with kooky titles, but it was predictable right down to the gay best friend with great fashion sense. Also "Mr and Mrs Smith", as in the movie. Funnish, although it had annoying movie tie-in photos, and I haven't seen the movie for vaguely moral reasons relating to Brad/Angelina sleaziness.

This "picking out random books from the library shelf" method is pretty hit-and-miss, I've gotta say.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#23 of 51 Old 11-17-2010, 12:22 PM

The Terror, Simmons

This book is a fictional account of the doomed arctic expedition of Sir John Franklin, of two ships which tried to find the Northwest passage.  In the 19th century, the arctic was still unexplored territory for british explorers.  The expedition had its full share of terror, both fictional and supernatural.  Other than the detailed description of cannibalism, I really enjoyed the book and would recommend it.

#1-World Without End, #2-Giada's Family Dinners, #3 When You Are Engulfed in Flames, #4 Her Fearful Symmetry, #5 First Among Sequels , #6 Under the Dome, #7 Look Again, #8 The Lost Symbol, #9 Sea of Monsters, #10 Protecting the Gift, #11 Titan's Curse, #12 Never Tell a Lie, #13 Man in the Dark Suit, #14 Battle of the Labyrinth, #15 An Abundance of Katherines, #16 Shanghai Girls, #17 Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution, #18 The Last Olympian, #19 The Orientalist, #20 Labyrinth, #21 Shutter Island, #22 The Scarecrow, #23 The Road, #24 The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, #25 The Graveyard Book, #26 The Last Dickens, #27 City of Bones, #28 The Fate of Katherine Carr, #29 Just After Sunset, #30 The Last Town on Earth, #31 The Alexandria Link, #32 A Complicated Kindness, #33 The Revolution will not be Microwaved, #34 American Rust, #35 Lost:A Novel, #36 Lunatic Express, #37 Brimstone, #38 Overachievers, #39 The Empty Chair, #40 American Gods, #41 Push, #42 Don't Panic, Dinner's in the Freezer, #43 Children of God, #44 Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos, #45 Slow Fat Triathlete, #46 Ladies' #1 Detective Agency, #47 The Last Child in the Woods, #48 The Book of Lost Things, #49 Monster of Florence, #50 The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, #51 Random Family, #52 Skeletons at the Feast, #53 Hunger Games, #54 Anansi Boys, #55 Looking for Alaska, #56, Monster, #57 Devil's Labyrinthe, #58 Sacred Games, #59 Terror, #60 Mercedes Coffin, #61 Sunstroke, #62 UR, #63 City of Ashes, #64 Deep Storm, #65 I would know you anywhere, #66 The Painter of Battles, #67 City of Glass, #68 Alcatraz versus the Evil Librarians

#24 of 51 Old 11-17-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:

The Terror, Simmons

This book is a fictional account of the doomed arctic expedition of Sir John Franklin, of two ships which tried to find the Northwest passage.  In the 19th century, the arctic was still unexplored territory for british explorers.  The expedition had its full share of terror, both fictional and supernatural.  Other than the detailed description of cannibalism, I really enjoyed the book and would recommend it.

#25 of 51 Old 11-18-2010, 07:24 AM

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

I love that I went into this book not really knowing what it was all about. I was completely drawn in, wondering what the big secret about the "students" was. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was so subtly creepy, the story so matter-of-factly told that when I found out what was going on, it was all the more horrifying. I know this story will be haunting me for a quite a while.

#26 of 51 Old 11-18-2010, 07:25 AM

Buff -- Catherine Ryan Hyde is the Pay It Forward author, and this is her second book that came out only in UK. I guess she is quite huge in the UK and the publisher releases some of her books only there. Luckily, she is local and a friend so I have both of her UK books.

#27 of 51 Old 11-18-2010, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The Terror, Simmons

#1-World Without End, #2-Giada's Family Dinners, #3 When You Are Engulfed in Flames, #4 Her Fearful Symmetry, #5 First Among Sequels , #6 Under the Dome, #7 Look Again, #8 The Lost Symbol, #9 Sea of Monsters, #10 Protecting the Gift, #11 Titan's Curse, #12 Never Tell a Lie, #13 Man in the Dark Suit, #14 Battle of the Labyrinth, #15 An Abundance of Katherines, #16 Shanghai Girls, #17 Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution, #18 The Last Olympian, #19 The Orientalist, #20 Labyrinth, #21 Shutter Island, #22 The Scarecrow, #23 The Road, #24 The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, #25 The Graveyard Book, #26 The Last Dickens, #27 City of Bones, #28 The Fate of Katherine Carr, #29 Just After Sunset, #30 The Last Town on Earth, #31 The Alexandria Link, #32 A Complicated Kindness, #33 The Revolution will not be Microwaved, #34 American Rust, #35 Lost:A Novel, #36 Lunatic Express, #37 Brimstone, #38 Overachievers, #39 The Empty Chair, #40 American Gods, #41 Push, #42 Don't Panic, Dinner's in the Freezer, #43 Children of God, #44 Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos, #45 Slow Fat Triathlete, #46 Ladies' #1 Detective Agency, #47 The Last Child in the Woods, #48 The Book of Lost Things, #49 Monster of Florence, #50 The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, #51 Random Family, #52 Skeletons at the Feast, #53 Hunger Games, #54 Anansi Boys, #55 Looking for Alaska, #56, Monster, #57 Devil's Labyrinthe, #58 Sacred Games, #59 Terror

I listened to the audiobook of this one last year (it was in the late Fall, as a matter of fact).  Up here, it doesn't start to get light (after the time change) until well after 8, and it starts to get dark really early (3-ish), so coupled with the cold winds, dark skies, rain and then listening to this book as I walked the 20 minutes to the bus stop in the mornings and then back in the evenings ... I was sufficiently creeped out.

#28 of 51 Old 11-18-2010, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

#53 Men, Women, and Chainsaws: Gender in the Modern Horror Film
by Carol J. Clover
>>More reading for my seminar paper and thesis.  In spite of the fact that now, 18 years after it's initial publication, Clover's argument has a lot of holes in it given the changes to the genre in that time, this is still an interesting book and is a useful look at the genre.

#1 Tales from Outer Suburbia, #2 The Men Who Stare at Goats, #3 Under the Dome (Audio), #4 Benito Cereno, #5 Doctor Who: The Rising Night, An Exclusive Audio Adventure (Audio), #6 UR (Audio), #7 Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls, #8 Shutter Island (Audio), #9 Watchmen, #10 The Darwin Awards II: Unnatural Selection (Audio), #11 Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, #12 Still Life: Adventures in Taxidermy, #13 Lovecraft: Tales, #14 Hellboy: Oddest Jobs, #15 Danse Macabre (Audio), #16 Doctor Who: Ghosts of India (Audio) #17 The Iron Man: A Story in Five Nights, #18 The Pop-Up Book of Phobias, #19 The Pop-Up Book of Nightmares, #20 Horns (Audio), #21 Blockade Billy, #22 Titus Andronicus (Bantam Anthology), #23 Doctor Who: Dead Air, An Exclusive Audio Adventure (Audio), #24 The Puppet Masters, #25 The Body Snatchers, #26 Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, #27 The Three Little Pigs Buy the White House, #28 Psycho, #29 The Silence of the Lambs, #30 Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Graphic Novel, #31 Leviathan (Audio), #32 Android Karenina, #33 Mythologies, #34 The Short Secret Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella (Audio), #35 America, #36 The Post-Modern Condition: A Report on Knowledge, #37 The Shining, #38 The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories, #39 Rosemary's Baby, #40 Blood and Guts in High School, Plus Two, #41 Naked Lunch: The Restored Text, #42 Watchmen: Redux, #43 Lolita, #44 Beloved, #45 Woman Hollering Creek and Other Stories, #46 The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, #47 Dracula, #48 Behind a Mask: Her Unknown Thrillers, #49 The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Writings, #50 Goblin Market and Other Poems, #51 Recreational Terror: Women and the Pleasures of Horror Film Viewing, #52 The Stepford Wives, #53 Men, Women, and Chainsaws: Gender in the Modern Horror Film

#29 of 51 Old 11-19-2010, 02:29 PM

#160 The Dreamer  by Pam Munoz Ryan and Peter Sis

Quote:

Buff -- Catherine Ryan Hyde is the Pay It Forward author, and this is her second book that came out only in UK. I guess she is quite huge in the UK and the publisher releases some of her books only there. Luckily, she is local and a friend so I have both of her UK books.

Very cool.

#30 of 51 Old 11-19-2010, 06:44 PM

The Mercedes Coffin, Faye Kellerman

Quote:

A cold case turns red hot, threatening to consume detective Peter Decker and his wife, Rina Lazarus in the spellbinding new thriller from New York Times bestselling author Faye Kellerman.

Billionaire genius Genoa Greeves never got over the shocking death of her favorite teacher, Bennett "Dr. Ben" Alston Little, murdered execution-style and stuffed into the trunk of his Mercedes Benz. No arrests were ever made. Fifteen years later, the high-tech CEO reads about another execution-style murder. The case is eerily similar and Genoa offers the L.A.P.D. a substantial financial "incentive" if justice is finally served.

I like Faye Kellerman's books best when they mix the police procedural with the home life of Decker, the main detective -- both his relationship with his wife and his Jewish faith.  While the detective angle of this book was interesting, Kellerman has fallen away from the religious aspect of the series that got me so interested in them in the first place.  I have books on my TBR by Jonathan Kellerman and Jesse Kellerman (her husband and child) up next, I think...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page