Chapter-ish book recommendations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-10-2010, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My four-year-old son is asking for us to read him "longer" books. We usually read a lot of Curious George, Dr. Seuss, Mo Willems, etc, but recently he went completely wild for the original Alice in Wonderland. He loved the mixture of prose and pictures in that book, and he was really into hearing an ongoing story over several nights. I'm kind of at a loss for other books that might have a similar mix between pictures and text, and that would hold a 4 year old's bedtime attention. I'd love to hear some suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2010, 08:40 PM

My 4 year old really enjoyed The BFG and James and the Giant Peach.  Also, books like The Mouse and Motorcycle and Runaway Ralph have been good.  All four books have pictures every three pages or so.  I wanted to read him Charlotte's Web or Stuart Little, but so far he's not interested.

B.
Mama to : July '06
Old 11-10-2010, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

My DS enjoyed all of these at 4 or younger.  I recall all of them having a fair number of pictures.

The Jamie and Angus Stories

My Father's Dragon (and sequels)

The Bears on Hemlock Mountain

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Catwings (and sequels)

Little Dog Lost

No Flying in the House

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Toys Go Out

Old 11-11-2010, 07:16 AM

At four, I think you may have to try a few different books and see which ones work for your child. Our experience was just the opposite of homefrontgirl - my kids loved the EB White books, but still won't sit through Runaway Ralph or The Mouse and the Motorcycle (they are 6 and 4).

In addition to the EB White books, my boys have loved:

- The Roscoe Riley books

- The Magic Treehouse books

- Little House on the Prairie books

- Pippi Longstocking books (don't be tempted by the new version with the cute illustrations by the artist who does Charlie and Lola - the translation is not as good)

- The Rescue of Little Red

- Captain Underpants (which you may want to hold off on for a little bit, but the potty humor never fails with the under 7 crowd wink1.gif)

Old 11-11-2010, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas, these books are exactly what I was looking for!

Old 11-11-2010, 07:55 PM

My kids are 6 and 4, so we've been doing a lot of reading out loud.  They've just discovered the "Secrets of Droon" books, which are very short.  We've also enjoyed "A to Z Mysteries" and some "Boxcar Children" and "Time Spies" books.  We read "Peter and the Starcatchers" a few weeks ago and are slowly making our way through the second book in that series.

We really like series of books here; my kids get invested in characters when they see them book after book.  These books don't have a huge amount of pictures, but they do have a few.  I was actually surprised by how well the kids are able to follow along just by listening and they don't really need the pictures as much as I'd thought.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:31 AM

I also was going to suggest Catwings (A Catwings Tale), Catwings Return and Three Tales of My Father's Dragon.  My three year old loves ALL of these!!!

The Children of Noisy Village and Happy Times in Noisy Village are also perfect for this age group. They're written by the same author as Pippi Longstocking. :-)

The Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook is a collection of stories about a little girl.  Each story can stand on it's on but the book reads well as a chapter book.

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon is absolutely fabulous.  I've read it to my DD three times already, as well as convincing both my mom and dad to read.  I just LOVE the story.

Some more ideas:

In Grandmas Attic

Twig

Happy Little Family

The Tale of Despereaux

Strawberry Girl

Cloud Tea Monkeys

Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle

Poppy

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

Old 11-27-2010, 07:39 AM