ROOM by Emma Donaghue - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-11-2010, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone read this yet?  I'm about 1/2 way through and can't put it down.  It's written from a 5 year old's perspective and while this was a turn off for me before I read the book, I now can't imagine it any other way.  I'm both horrified and intrigued with the plot of the novel.  Plus, at 5yo he's still being nursed by Mama, which I love. 

Here's a review:

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/sep/29/entertainment/la-et-book-20100929

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2010, 07:10 AM

Loved this book!  It had a unique perspective without being too gimmicky.  Interesting take on what our 'norms' would look like if you were outside society looking in. 

Old 12-19-2010, 08:12 AM

I just finished reading it. I read it in almost one sitting. I still can't get over the reactions of many readers regarding the extendedbreastfeeding. Think about it, he was her whole world and reason for A will to live. Bonding and how would she provide the nourishment he sorely needed, what better way? I'm sure weaning can't be easy when the child is with you literally 24 hours a day, even co-sleeping. Isn't this one of the reasons for breastfeeding, to provide food and comfort during periods of hardship? I also loved the thought given to using cloth diapers to issuer that her child would have what he needed. This book made me laugh and cry and think about things I say and do more from my child's perspective.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:49 PM

I have been on the hold list for this book at the library for months.  I think I am number 90 or so now... I started out at 172!  Hopefully I will be able to get my hands on it soon!

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

Old 12-22-2010, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibababy View Post

I just finished reading it. I read it in almost one sitting. I still can't get over the reactions of many readers regarding the extendedbreastfeeding. Think about it, he was her whole world and reason for A will to live. Bonding and how would she provide the nourishment he sorely needed, what better way? I'm sure weaning can't be easy when the child is with you literally 24 hours a day, even co-sleeping. Isn't this one of the reasons for breastfeeding, to provide food and comfort during periods of hardship? I also loved the thought given to using cloth diapers to issuer that her child would have what he needed. This book made me laugh and cry and think about things I say and do more from my child's perspective.

I coudn't agree more about the breastfeeding.  I was angry with some of the reactions of her family about this.  The Grandma seemed clueless and a little detached in general; that bugged me.  I think about this book all the time, trying to imagine what it must've been like, having a baby, toddler and then child in those circumstances.  I was really surprised at how much I loved this book.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:14 PM

When I read about the premise, I thought I would be really disturbed, but because it was told from a 5 year old's view point, it wasn't so upsetting.  The New York Times reviewer was freaked by the extended nursing as well.  As a mom who has nursed a 4 year old, this didn't even seem unusual--I mean, Jack nursed only a couple times a day, and his kissing Ma's breasts goodbye was sweet and very true to a lot of moms' experience.  I couldn't help thinking that the author nursed an older child herself.

Also I like when Ma laughs at the interviewer and says, "In this whole story, THIS is the most shocking part??!"

Old 07-31-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girls1boy View Post

When I read about the premise, I thought I would be really disturbed, but because it was told from a 5 year old's view point, it wasn't so upsetting.  The New York Times reviewer was freaked by the extended nursing as well.  As a mom who has nursed a 4 year old, this didn't even seem unusual--I mean, Jack nursed only a couple times a day, and his kissing Ma's breasts goodbye was sweet and very true to a lot of moms' experience.  I couldn't help thinking that the author nursed an older child herself.

Also I like when Ma laughs at the interviewer and says, "In this whole story, THIS is the most shocking part??!"

I have just finished reading Room and I read all 7 pages of 1star reviews on Amazon. Almost every one of them mentioned the breastfeeding! I was astounded! One of them talked about how disturbing it was that he preferred one side to the other and described the milk as "creamy" lol.gif another said the breastfeeding was bad enough, but the kissing each breast was just over the top.. I thought it was sweet! Actually even while reading it it didn't occur to me that so many people would be so horrified..

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

User Tag List