Magazine to give as gift - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-21-2010, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm putting together a small basket of consumable, "me time" goodies for DD's teacher for the holidays. Included inside will be a gift card to her favourite coffee place, a few biscotti made by DH, and DD suggested one or two magazines so the teacher can sit and relax and read.  

But we don't know what kinds of magazines to include.  We don't know the teacher's interests very well, so it's kind of hard to pick a mag.  Should we just go with a mainstream women's magazine, or a cooking magazine like the Food Network one (everyone likes to eat!), or some kind of off-beat alternative one (I like reading all kinds of magazines even if they don't necessarily relate to my lifestyle or interests)?  Maybe a trashy celebrity rag for easy reading?  Any other suggestions?  I don't really want to include any teacher mags, since the point is for her to take a break from her job and to relax.    

Thanks!

A + J = Miriam (November 2006) and Raymond (June 2010)
#2 of 9 Old 11-21-2010, 07:40 AM

I would probably go for Adbusters, Mother Jones, Conde Nast, Epicurious or the New Yorker. Without knowing her interests it's pretty hard though.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#3 of 9 Old 11-22-2010, 05:20 PM

I would probably go with a literary magazine like Ploughshares or Tin House or some such.

#4 of 9 Old 11-23-2010, 06:01 AM

I would probably go with a literary magazine like "Harpers" or the "New Yorker." Definitely nothing partisan or super-specialized (I actually have zero interest in cooking and would be pretty disappointed if someone gave me a cooking magazine as a gift--but maybe that's just me!)

Or you could go really "generic" with something like "Readers Digest" (as much as I detest it personally, a lot of people like and it's a pretty common "gift subscription") or "Newsweek" or "Time" or "National Geographic."

"Vanity Fair" is another good choice (a bit more "classy" than something like "People" or "US Weekly").

And this might be out of your budget (it would certainly be out of mine) but I've always wished that someone would give me a gift subscription to the Sunday Times.

#5 of 9 Old 11-23-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post

I would probably go with a literary magazine like Ploughshares or Tin House or some such.

Ha! I didn't see your post before I posted (I started with the same 5 words) and I agree--"Ploughshares" and "Tin House" are excellent.

#6 of 9 Old 11-23-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katala View Post

Ha! I didn't see your post before I posted (I started with the same 5 words)

love.gif

#7 of 9 Old 11-23-2010, 08:21 PM

Personally, I love food.  I subscribe to the Food Network Magazine and it is excellent, so that would be my vote!

#8 of 9 Old 11-24-2010, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

A fun magazine is Family Fun - she might like it because there will be great ideas for her classroom.  I recently found a new magazine while visiting a friend in colorado - it's called "Sunset" sort of "midwest living" for the west.

Actually a magazine like that would be nice - something related to her geographically.

I am a huge reader, but I would not want a literary magazine.  I think it might be more difficult that we think to choose a generic magazine.  The thing is - if you choose wrong - she's stuck getting it over and over for an entire year....

can you look her up on facebook?  Maybe she has her interests listed...

#9 of 9 Old 11-24-2010, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

oops - I just realized you are not getting her a subscription - that is even better.  I think it will be difficult to go wrong with one or two magazines.  Good luck!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page