Books with music or drumming theme for 3 year old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-23-2010, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DS, who will be 3 this spring, is obsessed with drumming and with instruments.  All day long he bangs on the pots and pans, rearranging them into snares, bass drums, congas, and then setting up lids for his cymbals.  We are going to get him a drum set soon, as he is begging for one all day long.  We love it.

Now, if we read a book he says, "but does it have drums?"  Same for movies, same for going to someone's house: "Do they have drums there?"

So... I would LOVE any suggestions for story books with a drumming or music theme.  He really loves all instruments.  It is hard to try and search on Amazon for books with this kind of theme.  I should add that I don't think he is interested right now in the Native American aspects of drumming - so I don't really need suggestions there.

Also, there are some really great books describing the orchestra and all its instruments, with great pictures and CD's, for older kids.  I could get him one of those, and I am sure he would love it, but I am wondering if anyone has come across a younger kid's book of high quality that delves into the world of instruments.  I would prefer photos and not illustrations, as he really wants to see the real thing.

So this may be a long shot, but if anyone has any great ideas for books - it would be appreciated!  I hope I can nurture my little boy's love of music!

#2 of 5 Old 11-23-2010, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

There's Max Found Two Sticks.

#3 of 5 Old 11-23-2010, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I don't think any of these are exactly what you are searching for, but here goes: 

The Boy With the Drum by David Harrsion

http://www.amazon.com/Boy-Drum-Little-Golden-Book/dp/0307109755/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1290557739&sr=1-1

Jungle Drums by Graeme Base

http://www.amazon.com/Jungle-Drums-Graeme-Base/dp/0810950448

If a Christmas book suits your family, Ezra Jack Keats has a version of The Little Drummer Boy. 

#4 of 5 Old 11-24-2010, 07:52 AM

This isn't exactly what you are looking for, either, but Abiyoyo is a story about a little boy who helps save his village by playing his ukulele. If you get the audio book version, it includes Pete Seeger singing the Abiyoyo song.

This probably fits even less, but you mentioned Native American music - Northwoods Cradle Song is a sweet book about a parent putting a child to sleep. The words of the book are a poem adapted from a Menominee lullaby.

#5 of 5 Old 11-26-2010, 09:57 AM

We have this book that someone bought us for my dinosaur obsessed son.  It has a drumming theme.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_25?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=drumheller+dinosaur+dance&sprefix=drumheller+dinosaur+dance

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page