Anyone read "How to Really Love your Child"? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-21-2010, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've just started it. Chapter 4 now. Just wondering if anyone wanted to discuss it. What did/do you think of it?.. It sounds pretty good to me so far. :)

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#2 of 5 Old 12-21-2010, 06:08 PM

I'm going to put it on hold at the library.

#3 of 5 Old 12-21-2010, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome.

I tell you, I'm not a reader. But I'm almost halfway through the book in 2 days!

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#4 of 5 Old 12-23-2010, 11:20 AM

My library doesn't have this so I'm going to order it from amazon. I'll post back when I get it and read it. So far, what have you gotten out of the book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcblondie View Post

Awesome.

I tell you, I'm not a reader. But I'm almost halfway through the book in 2 days!

#5 of 5 Old 12-23-2010, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

I finished it today! I got a LOT out of it.

The main concept of the book is that yes, almost all parents love their children deeply. But some of the things we do dont reflect that. The main ways it says we show love, is eye contact, physical contact, and focus time spent with only them. So these are the main areas I'm going to work on. Especially focus time. Children have "emotional tanks." If we are lacking in one of these areas (or perhaps others, not listed) children will start to act out. Sometimes they supress it for longer than others. But repressed hurt and anger will inevitably surface.  The objective is to raise a child such that they know they are unconditionally loved. Even when they make mistakes, even when WE'RE having a bad day, etc. We still love them regardless. And if their emotional tanks are full, you're much less likely to run into behavioural problems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbailey View Post

My library doesn't have this so I'm going to order it from amazon. I'll post back when I get it and read it. So far, what have you gotten out of the book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcblondie View Post

Awesome.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page