Book Recommendations for a 8 year old GIRL - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-01-2011, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

so dd loved the whimpy kid series. she is an extremely picky reader. she reads voraciously. if she doesnt like a book she drops it half way. 

its rare that she actually enjoys what she reads. 

she loved Fablehaven series http://www.amazon.com/Fablehaven-Brandon-Mull/dp/1416947205

she is just completely immersed in that series. 

she also loves manga and the baby mouse series. and http://www.amazon.com/American-Indian-Trickster-Tales-Legends/dp/0140277714/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1293905216&sr=1-8 and Island of the BLue Dolphins. 

she has tried HP, The Hobbit, Eragon - but dropped them half way. like she told a friend last night she likes dragons but didnt find eragon story line gripping enough for her to read the whole series. she read the first book. she has tried rainbow fairies, disney fairies but didnt like them. 

now i am not into fantasy or magic or science fiction so dont know what books to pick for her. 

but i was looking for two kinds of recommendations.

1. something like whimpy kid - which is based around school and adventure and fun. i grew up in asia so grew up with enid blyton. and Malory Towers and St Claire. now those books i cant find here used. they would be perfect for her. 

2. fairies- magic, adventure

or even just books to try and see if she might find interesting. its sooo hard to find the right books for her. she loves reading mainly fiction, but some non fiction too.  

she is a precocious reader so she reads beyond her age/grade group. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

A fantasy series that my 4th grade dd LOVES and actually I read the first and it was great is Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry. It's the story of how Peter Pan became Peter Pan and not only is it a great adventure, but it is stinking hilarious. Also, along the Wimpy Kid lines, she might like the Dork Diaries books . . .  they are pretty much wimpy kid for girls. Also, check out books by Kate DiCamillo like the Tale of Desperaux . . . and the Oz books by L. Frank Baum--my daughters favorite is Dorothy of Oz.

Good luck.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 01-02-2011, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Maybe the Bone graphic novels or The Spiderwick Chronicles?

Old 01-03-2011, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Other ideas:

Dragon Rider or Igraine the Brave by Funke

Half Magic or The Time Garden by Eager

The Number Devil

George's Secret Key to the Universe and George's Cosmic Treasure Hunt by Hawking

Anything by Roald Dahl

Harriet the Spy

The Phantom Tollbooth

The Goose Girl by Hale

Dealing With Dragons by Wrede

The Willoughbys 

The Percy Jackson Series by Riordan

The Mysterious Benedict Society 

The Alchemyst by Scott

From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

Ms. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh

Hoot

Ginger Pye

A Mango Shaped Space by Mass 

The City of Ember

Old 01-16-2011, 11:37 AM

Maybe:

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke - I don't read much kids' fantasy, but I really liked this one.

Sahara Special by Esme Raji Codell - One of my favorite kids' books. :)

Dancing Pancake by Eileen Spinelli - Novel in verse about a girl experiencing a lot of changes in her life.

Librarian, Blogger, Book Reviewer, Mama
Old 01-18-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptunemama View Post

Other ideas:

Dragon Rider or Igraine the Brave by Funke

Harriet the Spy

Dealing With Dragons by Wrede

The Mysterious Benedict Society 

The City of Ember

I ditto ALL of these!!!  What a great list you created!

What about The Sisters Grimm?  It's fun and silly and has elements of fairytales interspersed with mysteries.

City of the Beasts, Forest of the Pygmies & Kingdom of the Golden Dragon by Isabel Allende are fabulous and full of adventure.

The Blue Girl by Charles de Lint is written for teens but is generally harmless and since you mentioned your daughter is a precocious reader, she might like this. Little (Grrl) Lost is good too.  I stillheart.gif de Lint!

The Night Fairy is incredibly magical.

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

Old 01-19-2011, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

oooooh thank you all for all those suggestions. she has read the spiderwick series (i had to help her with that one though, had to warn her and so skipped certain parts) and inkheart. 

that's a lot of books for me to try for her. i am soo excited for her. orngbiggrin.gif

Rhiann thanks for the blue girl. it seems interesting that dd might enjoy. last year ugh after much reservations i let her start twilight. she REALLY wanted to read it and went thru incredible lengths to get her hands on the book. thankfully about 25 pages in she lost interest. whew!!!

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 02-14-2011, 07:35 PM

Hi! I'm not sure if you need any more suggestions, but your daughter might like the following two books...

The Midnight Curse

11-year-old fraternal twins, Charlie and Lacey, are invited to a remote English village for the reading of the last will and testament of their mysterious Uncle Jonathan. They hope to get money, and lots of it, but to Charlie’s horror, he ends up getting a curse ...

The Devil, The Banshee And Me

Having the devil’s nephew in the room next to his is scary enough for Will, but when a mysterious woman and her daughter move into the cemetery cottage – and then their family Banshee shows up – things get truly frightening...

Both books are by L.M. Falcone. My daughter loves them both and has read them many, many times. smile.gif

Old 02-14-2011, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

oh no contentmom, the more the merrier.

at the rate dd devours books its ALWAYS helpful to have more suggestions.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Banned

Yay, I get to suggest the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Start at the beginning. She'll either be hooked by the second chapter or she'll know it's not for her, IME.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

aaah attunedmama - her best friend is OBSESSED with this series and has every one of them.

dd doesnt care about them. she is not into them. at all.

she tried the SEEKERS series and prefers them but not into them. she really enjoys native american stories so i think the inuit aspect of the stories attracted her but it hasnt caught her fancy that much. 

User Tag List