Really disappointed in Netflix - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 01-05-2011, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm in Canada and so tempted to sign up for netflix.... we don't have cable and watch our tv shows online but sometimes they're hard to find/around for limited time only. I don't really see us going back to cable (or satellite) but Netflix would really work for us! Especially if I can get it to stream on our tv. :)

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#32 of 41 Old 01-05-2011, 09:00 AM

We pay $10 a month and get the streaming and unlimited dvds for the month (only one at a time though).  The streaming has its pros and cons.  Some of the movies on there are old or bizarre, but they do have some new releases.  We watch a lot of tv shows on there and kids shows since we don't have cable.  Most of the mailed dvds are new releases that dh and I watch.

My newest discovery on the streaming is Saturday Night LIve.  They have the newest episode up a few days after it airs on tv, but they don't always show the musical guest.

#33 of 41 Old 01-05-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAtHome View Post

I'm in Canada and so tempted to sign up for netflix.... we don't have cable and watch our tv shows online but sometimes they're hard to find/around for limited time only. I don't really see us going back to cable (or satellite) but Netflix would really work for us! Especially if I can get it to stream on our tv. :)

If you've got a Wii or a PS3, and wifi in your house, then you're all set.  Possibly some other devices too, but those two I know for sure off the top of my head.  :) 

Initially, the Wii setup was done with a CD they sent us in the mail.  You had to have the CD in the Wii in order to watch Netflix.  But they've advanced from that and now it's just a Wii channel you download directly through the Wii, no disc needed.  :) 

The first month is free, and you can cancel anytime even after you start paying... We tried it since there was such low risk and figured we could just watch the stuff we're interested in until that runs out, then cancel.  Haven't run out yet.  ;)

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#34 of 41 Old 01-06-2011, 08:10 PM

I love netflix. The movie stores were charging so much and then they started closing down. DH and I would have these lists of movies but no one in town carried them We have watched so many movies since getting netflix. And I use the instant watch during the day. DH and I well over 500 movies on our queue, instant and mail combined. We enjoy some of the obscure titles on the instant play. Totally worth it for us!
#35 of 41 Old 01-06-2011, 09:06 PM

We LOVE Netflix! We get 2 DVDs at a time. We keep our DVD queue in a pattern of what DH wants and what I want so when they arrive its one for each of us. DH stays up way later than I do and will watch his the day they arrive and send them back the next day. I take a little longer to watch mine and I love that I can have them as long as I want. We really enjoy the streaming too and haven't had that hard of a time finding things to watch. Especially TV shows for us and movies for the kids. We stream on both computers and through the blu ray on the TV. We are really happy with it, and don't mind waiting a while for the new releases.

#36 of 41 Old 01-06-2011, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I really like Netflix for streaming television shows (anythign but  the current season).  Right now I'm watching Pushing Daisies.

#37 of 41 Old 01-07-2011, 09:08 PM

We're also in Canada. We haven't used very much, but we're enjoying it. We watch it on the tv, through ds1's Wii. DH says that Wild China and The Storyteller are worth the $8.00/month (or whatever - it's something like that) all by themselves. He's also getting to see some old Doctor Who episodes. I'm sure the selection will improve, but I finally got to see Dreamscape again, and I've been meaning to rent it for years.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#38 of 41 Old 01-08-2011, 11:10 AM

Wow, I am so surprised to see a thread with that title. We love netflix! We have had it for 7 years and started streaming about a year ago. We like having both. I agree that the movie selection isn't great with streaming however, the number of documentaries available is staggering! A good movie that we just watched is *The Messenger* with Woody Harrelson. If you take the time to search, you might be surprised by what you can find. We really enjoy watching a good series, that way we don't have to commit to 2 hours and we find some of them much better than movies.

Instant:

Friday Night Lights

Damages 

Dexter

Weeds

BBC series Survivors

Veronica Mars

Dead LIke Me

Pushing Daisies

We have watched many series just sending back one disc at a time:

Six Feet Under

The Sopranos

Breaking Bad

Mad Men

just to name a few :)

Another really good film off the top of my head is Green Fingers with Helen Mirren & Clive Owen it is in Instant.

I could look through my queue and come up with a bunch more later.

Blessings,

~traci

~Traci, wife to DH 4-88. Mom to 3 homebirthed sons, 22,20&17

The Blue Door Farmhouse & traci.mymomentis.biz

#39 of 41 Old 01-09-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soso-lynn View Post

Are you in Canada by any chance? I just got the free trial and am appalled by the absolute lack of interesting stuff on there. I think there is a lot less here since most of the movies on the PPs list are not there. I can probably find enough movies and shows to last the one month trial but I will most definitely be cancelling after that. Most of the movies on Netflix are in the 1$ section of my local video store anyway.

I'm in Canada and was really disappointed with the free trial. All I wanted was documentaries (for homeschooling) and they had hardly any worth watching.
#40 of 41 Old 01-12-2011, 06:43 AM

http://instantwatcher.com/

http://watchinginstantly.wordpress.com/

http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/best-netflix-instant-movies-for-readers-films-based-on-plays_b11878

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic/31/best-netflix-instant-stream-movies/397532/

http://www.xbox360forum.com/xbox-forum/threads/84672-The-*Official*-quot-Best-Movies-Available-for-Netflix-Instant-Queue-quot-Thread

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#41 of 41 Old 01-12-2011, 04:55 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page