Really disappointed in Netflix - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 01-01-2011, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Am I missing something??

I signed up for streaming a few weeks ago and there are NO good/new movies on it  Virtually every movie I have wanted to watch is only available on DVD. A few examples:

It's Complicated

Austin Powers

The Eclipse Series

Eat Pray Love

These have all been on pay per view and itunes for a long time.  I am ready to just cancel.  Any experts out there? How do I stream new movies?

TIA!

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#2 of 41 Old 01-01-2011, 04:53 PM

You can't. They only have certain ones on streaming, and it's not usually the good ones. I have the plan where I get one movie through the mail and streaming. I just get the new movies through the mail. It's not as convenient, but it works.

treehugger.gifAngie(25) Birth Doula and wife to Army man Bob(25), mommy to...dust.gifMeadow Shae(6),energy.gifLily Rain(4)homebirth.jpg, and joy.gif Sage Ashlyn(3). jog.gifAndrew Houston(9/3/11)

#3 of 41 Old 01-01-2011, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

you really don't? i stream tv shows mostly... but i am not a movie person.

mama to one '07 and one '09
#4 of 41 Old 01-01-2011, 05:00 PM

If there are no streaming movies, documentaries or TV shows that you care for than I guess it isn't for you, no? shrug.gif My family routinely has the 500 max on instant que and we watch the others via DVD. It's worth $10ish to me. 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#5 of 41 Old 01-01-2011, 05:31 PM

You can only stream what they allow you to stream.  There is a delay with newer movies.  I am sure a lot of the delay or unavailable stuff is due to the movie studios and contracts they have with pay per view etc.  Netflix really wants to focus on streaming and I do see more and more being available all the time.  Because of the delayed/unavailable items we are on the streaming and 1 dvd plan.

#6 of 41 Old 01-01-2011, 05:36 PM

We use streaming mostly for TV shows. I  also like older movies and foreign titles. Dh likes action. And there's a lot in those categories where it's easy to get something for casual watching.

#7 of 41 Old 01-01-2011, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone

I wanted new releases. greensad.gif  There are not many TV shows I am interested in (don't watch a lot of reg. TV so maybe there are and I don't know them). The local blockbuster closed and the red box thing at the grocery store is worthless. Because of this the waiting time at the library is crazy. I was really hoping to get my movie fix.

$8 bucks a month is a lot to not even have *old* movies! Just seems weird.  I mean Austin Powers came out in '97 and Twilight in 2008! And to pay $10 to get one DVD at a time is a little rich for my blood. Even if I could watch it instantly when it arrived (impossible) I would be lucky to watch 2 a month. For that price I can do PPV and record it on my DVR to watch when I have time or do iTunes...

Oh well shame on me for not researching available titles before signing up....

#8 of 41 Old 01-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Banned

I was a little disappointed when I first started streaming but then I starting finding really cool documentaries and tv shows that I didn't even know about (eg, this American life). It takes some getting used to but now i enjoy it. They also make recommendations bad on what you've watched that I find to be helpful.

Supposedly, their whole collection will be streamable in the near future, whenever that is!
#9 of 41 Old 01-01-2011, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfcmama View Post

I was a little disappointed when I first started streaming but then I starting finding really cool documentaries and tv shows that I didn't even know about (eg, this American life). It takes some getting used to but now i enjoy it. They also make recommendations bad on what you've watched that I find to be helpful.

Supposedly, their whole collection will be streamable in the near future, whenever that is!

that would be awesome!

#10 of 41 Old 01-01-2011, 06:08 PM

The turnaround time on the mail DVDs is pretty good; I get mine 2 days after I send the last one in.  But if you only watch 2 movies a month, you could try video on demand on Amazon, they have new releases for $3.99 or less.

Netflix does have a lot of stuff for kids on streaming.

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

#11 of 41 Old 01-01-2011, 06:17 PM

My kids stream hundreds of tv shows/movies every month via netflix, so for us it's absolutely worth the $9 a month.

There are tons of good series: weeds, Dexter, Jericho, Tudors, breaking bad, the office and so on; I wouldn't cancel it just yet - look around (they also add new stuff frequently).. If we want something newer we either do redbox or on demand from directTV.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#12 of 41 Old 01-01-2011, 06:22 PM

We love NetFlix.  There are about 500 in our que right now.  And there are always new ones coming out.  They are releasing more and more streaming every day, and hopefully will have most available soon.  We don't pay for TV any more, I just get them from NetFlix once they come out on DVD.

If you are only wanting streaming and only new releases, then NetFlix is not for you.  But, I find they have tons of good ones.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#13 of 41 Old 01-01-2011, 07:07 PM

I personally wouldn't bother with netflix for the streaming alone. At this point the streaming is basically a nice little bonus that you might be lucky and find some stuff you want to watch, the selection is just not comparable to their dvd and even blu ray offerings.

#14 of 41 Old 01-01-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

thanks everyone

I wanted new releases. greensad.gif  There are not many TV shows I am interested in (don't watch a lot of reg. TV so maybe there are and I don't know them). The local blockbuster closed and the red box thing at the grocery store is worthless. Because of this the waiting time at the library is crazy. I was really hoping to get my movie fix.

$8 bucks a month is a lot to not even have *old* movies! Just seems weird.  I mean Austin Powers came out in '97 and Twilight in 2008! And to pay $10 to get one DVD at a time is a little rich for my blood. Even if I could watch it instantly when it arrived (impossible) I would be lucky to watch 2 a month. For that price I can do PPV and record it on my DVR to watch when I have time or do iTunes...

Is there a reason you can't use the mail service?

#15 of 41 Old 01-01-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:

thanks everyone

Why don't you like Redbox?  We have netflix streaming + 1DVD, and it works for us, but if we really want a new release and don't want to wait, we use Redbox.  You can even reserve it online before you go (on the same day), so that it's not gone by the time you pick it up.  And it a buck- can't beat that!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#16 of 41 Old 01-02-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:

thanks everyone

The dvd's cycle through in about 3 days for us. If I put a dvd in our mailbox on Monday, the next one is to our house by Wednesday. Once there was going to be a delay because the DVD had to come from a farther distribution center and they sent the next thing in my queue so I got a movie as quickly as usual.

So, if I had a long full queue, and was very prompt at putting DVDs back into the mail, I could get 10 dvds a month for $10.

But, yeah, if there's nothing in the instant queue you want, it's not going to be worth it.

#17 of 41 Old 01-02-2011, 12:53 PM

My hubby uses hulu for tv shows, and "cinema now" for movies.  Maybe they have newer releases....

#18 of 41 Old 01-02-2011, 01:42 PM

We love Netflix, but their watch instantly selection sucks.  Dh and I laugh as we scroll through the available movies.

However, this is due to legal agreements with various production companies, not some oversight by Netflix.  Netflix is spending millions right now to secure rights to more movies to stream online.  For the time being, however, we use it mainly to order DVDs.  We occasionally find an interesting tv show or movie to watch instantly, and there's a lot of good stuff for the kids.

#19 of 41 Old 01-02-2011, 01:49 PM

However, here are some good/fun movies that they do have available:

City Island

Julie and Julia

The Ugly Truth

The Proposal

Brothers

An Education

#20 of 41 Old 01-03-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post

Quote:

thanks everyone

The dvd's cycle through in about 3 days for us. If I put a dvd in our mailbox on Monday, the next one is to our house by Wednesday. Once there was going to be a delay because the DVD had to come from a farther distribution center and they sent the next thing in my queue so I got a movie as quickly as usual.

So, if I had a long full queue, and was very prompt at putting DVDs back into the mail, I could get 10 dvds a month for $10.

But, yeah, if there's nothing in the instant queue you want, it's not going to be worth it.

Same here.  You have to plan ahead a bit if you want to have something for a specific night but overall, I love it.  The instant streaming does leave a lot to be desired sometimes though!

#21 of 41 Old 01-03-2011, 02:11 PM

We actually love the streaming- we have a TON of stuff on our queue.  But a lot of them are documentaries, science/history/Discovery channel stuff, Animal Planet, stuff like that.

#22 of 41 Old 01-03-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post

Quote:

thanks everyone

Why don't you like Redbox?  We have netflix streaming + 1DVD, and it works for us, but if we really want a new release and don't want to wait, we use Redbox.  You can even reserve it online before you go (on the same day), so that it's not gone by the time you pick it up.  And it a buck- can't beat that!

Oh, ha!  I do the same thing using Redbox for new releases!! 

And yeah, there's not much on Netflix streaming.  They did just sign a deal with ABC/Disney so some more shows should be available but not much else.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#23 of 41 Old 01-03-2011, 04:54 PM

We have netflix and I thought you could have 1 movie out at a time for the 10$ The shipping is really fast so you could get a easily 2 a wk so8 movies a month for 10$ which would be cheap! I don't watch much on the netflix but my dh loves it lol.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#24 of 41 Old 01-03-2011, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

There is one redbox in our neighborhood and I think like the library its the case of too few for too many.  We used have 2 big Blockbusters, a local video store, the one redbox and the library.  Now its just the redbox and the library. If you don't hit the redbox first thing in the AM you are out of luck, forget trying to get anything good on the weekend!  I didn't know about the reserve in advance function tho.  Maybe that's why I am missing out??

I think my problem is that I have such few times when I can really sit down and watch a "grown up" movie. My fear is that I would end up spending the money and rarely getting more than 1or 2 a month. I guess I am being a little grumpy, LOL, I want my cake and to eat it too!! orngtongue.gif

#25 of 41 Old 01-03-2011, 05:59 PM

I thought I heard that Blockbuster online (their program that is comparable to Netflix) is supposed to have the new releases sooner.  IDK if this is true or not, but I heard it recently and thought I would throw it out there for you.  We were thinking about Netflix for a while but to get it onto our TV through the Xbox is a $60 fee to the Xbox people and then the monthly payment to Netflix and it is just not worth that much money to us.  We watch, at most, 1 movie a month.  Maybe someday when the kids are older and want to watch movies it would be worth it, but I just don't have the time right now... but boy, I wish I did!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#26 of 41 Old 01-03-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:

There is one redbox in our neighborhood and I think like the library its the case of too few for too many.  We used have 2 big Blockbusters, a local video store, the one redbox and the library.  Now its just the redbox and the library. If you don't hit the redbox first thing in the AM you are out of luck, forget trying to get anything good on the weekend!  I didn't know about the reserve in advance function tho.  Maybe that's why I am missing out??

Yeah!  Just get on the website first thing in the morning and put your movies on hold.  Of course, if they're all still out from the night before, you're still out of luck.  And FYI- if you reserve it, you have until the following night at 9pm to pick it up... but they fail to mention that you're actually renting it from the time you reserve it.  So if you don't pick it up until the following night and return it the next day, you'll pay for 2 days (if that made any sense.)

#27 of 41 Old 01-03-2011, 06:42 PM

Are you in Canada by any chance? I just got the free trial and am appalled by the absolute lack of interesting stuff on there. I think there is a lot less here since most of the movies on the PPs list are not there. I can probably find enough movies and shows to last the one month trial but I will most definitely be cancelling after that. Most of the movies on Netflix are in the 1$ section of my local video store anyway.

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
#28 of 41 Old 01-03-2011, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

No, I am outside of Boston, Mass

#29 of 41 Old 01-03-2011, 07:01 PM

I've enjoyed Netflix instant. Its true, they tend to have more crappy sequels than blockbuster hits.
But I tend to use Netflix instant the way some people watch TV, browsing what looks interesting at the time. I've seen a lot of good documentaries I would never have even heard of otherwise, or wouldn't have been motivated to put in the queue and wait a few days.

I've seen some good classics on instant, like The Time Machine from 1960, and some good independant films like The Man From Earth. The kids have watched their share of Scooby Doo episodes on instant. Lately we have been watching Avatar, the nickelodeon show, on instant because we don't get cable tv and somehow missed out on this excellent show.
tankgirl73 likes this.
#30 of 41 Old 01-03-2011, 07:45 PM

We're in Canada and we're LOVING Netflix here.  Yes, the selection is still a bit limited, but that's because it's new.  A lot of movie companies have not yet given permission for their films to be streamed in Canada.  Netflix is constantly working on gaining the rights for more and more works.  In the few months we've been members we have seen a TON of new stuff come in.

The main draw for us right now is in the TV shows.  We don't get cable, we just watch the few shows we like online.  Hubby got completely addicted to Mad Men, since Netflix has the first 3 seasons.  I watched all the old Greatest American Hero shows.  It has the first 3 seasons of Blue's Clues -- the ones with STEVE!  You can't even find those in the video stores.  My 4yo daughter watches Blue's Clues and Little Bear, and I don't have to worry about commercials or whatever other crap might be coming on next.

It's got Veggie Tales movies.  BBC documentaries.  Tons of BBC shows, including Fawlty Towers and ALL the Blackadder seasons!  Tons of interesting documentaries.  Great foreign films -- like Atarnajuat, which we saw in the theatres years ago.  :)  And they've just added all the Kids in the Hall shows, and some other old CBC classics!

Sure it doesn't have some of the movies we'd like to see, but we still have more than enough to keep us busy for now while they're working on getting those too.  :)  And we're sometimes pleasantly surprised by what they DO have.  For just $8 a month, with no limits, we can even be watching 3 different things at the same time using the household wifi -- I'm watching Blackadder on my PC, my daughter is watching Blue's Clues on the TV through the Wii, and hubby is upstairs in bed watching some old Japanese samurai movie on the laptop!

FYI -- the Canadian Netflix service does NOT offer the mailing option.  It's all streaming, only streaming.  Simple, cheap, easy.  It only just launched last fall and we were among the first to sign up.  :)

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page