1. Only Son - Kevin O'Brien

2. Planning To Live - Heather Wardell

3. The 7 Wonders That Will Change Your Life - Glenn Beck/ Keith Ablow

4. Life, Love and a Polar Bear Tatoo - Heather Wardell

5. Carved In Bone - Jefferson Bass

February

6. Thirteen Reasons Why- Jay Asher 

7. The Abstinence Teacher- Tom Perrotta

8. One Fine Day Your're Gonna Die- Gail Bowen  (90 pgs)))))

9. Term Limits - Vince Flynn

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#62 of 110 Old 02-07-2011, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Okay, I am joining.  :0)

I got a Kindle for Christmas and I have loaded it up with books.  Currently I am reading:

Room by Emma Donoghue

I am 82% done and hoping to finish tonight.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#63 of 110 Old 02-08-2011, 04:31 AM

Just found this thread - I'd like to join to in my effort to read instead of watching TV in the evenings. Well, until True Blood starts in June smile.gif

I've started Anna Karenina and Lord of the Rings - Fellowship of the Ring since January and haven't finished either yet, so here we go...

Plus DH & DD1(8) & DS(6) & DD2(5) & DD3(2)
#64 of 110 Old 02-08-2011, 10:55 PM

OK so far...

1. Fledgling by Octavia E. Butler

2. Divided Minds: Twin Sisters and Their Journey Through Schizophrenia by Pamela Spiro Wagner and Carolyn Spiro

3. The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell

4. Refuse to Choose!: Use All of Your Interests, Passions, and Hobbies to Create the Life and Career of Your Dreams by Barbara Sher

5. How to Talk so Kids Will Listen

6. Grass by Sheri S. Tepper

7. Half Life by Shelley Jackson

And I'm currently reading The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin. Of course I should be reading it right now instead of messing around on the computer! Or maybe I should be asleep.

oh noo
#65 of 110 Old 02-09-2011, 06:09 PM

After a long hiatus, I'm back! My DS was born 12 days ago, and I'm settling back into the couch for nursing/sleeping/reading all day for at least the next 2 weeks. (my DD goes to preschool so it really is blissful.)

Books so far include:

1. Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve

A YA book set in a future of municipal Darwinism where the cities all move and eat each other. This is the first of a series and sets up future stories quite nicely. The premise of this one is boy discovers his hero is not all he thought he was while adventuring with mysterious girl who is trying to kill his hero. I liked it and will be reading the next books.

2. Messiah Node by Lydia Moorehouse

Sci-fi with cyber-punk overtones mixed with religion/angels. This is the 3rd book in the series. Quick read.

3. Cinderella Ate My Daughter by Peggy Ornstein

A superficial investigation of girlie culture/princess phenomen. Not exactly earth-shattering for anyone who has thought about this stuff or read other feminist treatments of the topic. BUT, a good accessible primer that I would recommend to anyone interested in the topic.

4. Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead

Final book in the Vampire Academy series. Good conclusion; although, a little bit too happily ever after in some respects. I enjoyed this series immensely though and am looking forward to her future series set in the same world.

5. Set This House in Order: A Romance of Souls by Matt Ruff

This is easily one of the best books I have read in a while with a really original premise. The 2 leads in the book have multiple personality disorder. At first, only one of them knows this, and he must help the other come to terms with her problems while also facing his own. This was a fascinating book.

Wife 6/2005, Mommy 9/2008 to DD and 1/2011 to DS:
sci-fi loving, theater loving, lawyer mama.
#66 of 110 Old 02-10-2011, 03:04 AM

The Mysterious Benedict Society, Stewart

Quote:
 Are you a gifted child looking for Special Opportunities?" This curious newspaper ad catches the eye of orphan Reynie Muldoon. After taking exams that test both mind and spirit, Reynie is selected along with four other contestants--Sticky Washington, a nervous child with a photographic memory; irrepressible Kate Weatherhill; and a tiny child who lives up to her name, Constance Contraire. The children soon learn they've been chosen by mysterious Mr. Benedict for an important mission: they are to infiltrate the isolated Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened, from which messages of distrust and compliance are being broadcast into the minds of the world's citizens. Debut novelist Stewart takes some familiar conventions--among them, an orphan struggling against evil forces (Harry Potter, anyone?)--and makes them his own. But like the Potter books, his story goes beyond mere adventures, delving into serious issues, such as the way sloganeering can undermine society--or control it. Through its interesting characters, the book also tackles personal concerns: abandonment, family, loyalty, and facing one's fears.

This has been a popular book in this thread for a while, and for good reason.  The characters are very enjoyable and fun, and their different methods for tackling their mission highlight their personalities.  Very enjoyable.

#67 of 110 Old 02-10-2011, 01:43 PM

Welcome to more new faces! love.gif  And congrats KBond on the arrival of your son stork-boy.gif How exciting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbond View Post

After a long hiatus, I'm back! My DS was born 12 days ago, and I'm settling back into the couch for nursing/sleeping/reading all day for at least the next 2 weeks. (my DD goes to preschool so it really is blissful.)

Books so far include:

1. Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve

A YA book set in a future of municipal Darwinism where the cities all move and eat each other. This is the first of a series and sets up future stories quite nicely. The premise of this one is boy discovers his hero is not all he thought he was while adventuring with mysterious girl who is trying to kill his hero. I liked it and will be reading the next books.

2. Messiah Node by Lydia Moorehouse

Sci-fi with cyber-punk overtones mixed with religion/angels. This is the 3rd book in the series. Quick read.

3. Cinderella Ate My Daughter by Peggy Ornstein

A superficial investigation of girlie culture/princess phenomen. Not exactly earth-shattering for anyone who has thought about this stuff or read other feminist treatments of the topic. BUT, a good accessible primer that I would recommend to anyone interested in the topic.

4. Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead

Final book in the Vampire Academy series. Good conclusion; although, a little bit too happily ever after in some respects. I enjoyed this series immensely though and am looking forward to her future series set in the same world.

5. Set This House in Order: A Romance of Souls by Matt Ruff

This is easily one of the best books I have read in a while with a really original premise. The 2 leads in the book have multiple personality disorder. At first, only one of them knows this, and he must help the other come to terms with her problems while also facing his own. This was a fascinating book.

I have a ton of books to post, but I'm trying to work at the office and also get my taxes ready to be filed.  lol.gif So, I'll be back in a couple days!  Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

#68 of 110 Old 02-10-2011, 06:12 PM

congrats on your little one, kbond!

i have a stack of books next to the bed, but keep falling asleep when i'm reading.  *sigh*  cursed day job wearing me out.  i'm working on Little Bee and Finding Nouf.

most recent read was The Summer without Men by Siri Hustvedt, for a review.  it was disappointing (always the worst sorts of reviews to write).  i had no sympathy for the protagonist, a stuck up, pompous intellectual who spoke in overused phrases and looked down her nose at everyone.  i've never read the writer's other books, and she seems to get lots of good reviews?  either just not my taste, or the others are much better.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#69 of 110 Old 02-10-2011, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Oh my gosh, Kbond. Congratulations!!!!!

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#70 of 110 Old 02-10-2011, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Kofduke . . . I wasn't impressed by the Scottoline book that I read but I saw that others on amazon.com had the similar opinion that her other books are much better so I won't give up on her yet.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#71 of 110 Old 02-10-2011, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Grace and the Terrible Tutu

Very cute chapter book that fans of Clementine, etc. would like.

#72 of 110 Old 02-11-2011, 10:50 AM

Thanks for the well-wishes and congratulations. It's been a lot of fun having an infant again. If only my 2 year old would stop driving me crazy.

1. Predator's Gold (Hungry Cities #2) by Philip Reeve

The sequel to Mortal Engines. This book was a bit stronger in terms of technicalities of writing, and the plot was a bit tighter as well. Just as enjoyable as the first one, and I'm having fun reading this series. I imagine I would love this series too if I were an 8-11 year old boy.

Wife 6/2005, Mommy 9/2008 to DD and 1/2011 to DS:
sci-fi loving, theater loving, lawyer mama.
#73 of 110 Old 02-12-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama View Post

How's the Agatha Christie?  I have her on my list.  I've never read any of her books!  I'm sure I'll like them though.  I'm sadly lacking in my classics repertoire.

FM, I've always been a Christie fan.  I'm re-reading a bunch and discovering some new ones as part of this challenge.  I think I'd recommend The Murder of Roger Ackroyd or Then There Were None if you are looking for good starters.

So far in February:

20. Blackout by Connie Willis
21.Ordeal by Innocence by Agatha Christie
22. Toto's Tale by K.D. Hays & Meg Weidman
23. Funerals Are Fatal by Agatha Christie
24. The Language Instinct by Steven Pinker

#74 of 110 Old 02-13-2011, 08:34 AM

Congratulations Kbond!!!

#75 of 110 Old 02-14-2011, 06:24 PM

The Help on audio.  enjoyed it very much.  i'm glad i had the audio, because sometimes books written in multiple voices get on my nerves.  in this case, it was lovely, hearing 3 different voices reading.  i felt like i was right there in Mississippi, and i was sorry to see it end.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#76 of 110 Old 02-15-2011, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

January

1. Only Son - Kevin O'Brien

2. Planning To Live - Heather Wardell

3. The 7 Wonders That Will Change Your Life - Glenn Beck/ Keith Ablow

4. Life, Love and a Polar Bear Tatoo - Heather Wardell

5. Carved In Bone - Jefferson Bass

February

6. Thirteen Reasons Why- Jay Asher 

7. The Abstinence Teacher- Tom Perrotta

8. One Fine Day Your're Gonna Die- Gail Bowen  (90 pgs)

9. Term Limits - Vince Flynn

10. Scars - Cheryl Rainfield

I have some on Nook that are partially finished and a couple in my 'subbing' bag again that are partially done.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#77 of 110 Old 02-16-2011, 02:47 PM

Okay, I had a really nice post and it errored out for some reason, saying I did not have permission to post.  Anyway, thanks Bufo for the Agatha Christie advice!

And I also said I just finished changing over my books from Visual Bookshelf to Goodreads.  I really like Goodreads a lot better!  And my list of to-read books is HUGE.  And I really want to deviate from my finish the closet pile goal b/c some of the books sound so good! 

#78 of 110 Old 02-17-2011, 08:03 AM

Saving Fish From Drowning, Tan

Quote:
San Francisco socialite and art-world doyenne Bibi Chen has planned the vacation of a lifetime along the notorious Burma Road for 12 of her dearest friends. Violently murdered days before takeoff, she's reduced to watching her friends bumble through their travels from the remove of the spirit world. Making the best of it, the 11 friends who aren't hung over depart their Myanmar resort on Christmas morning to boat across a misty lake—and vanish. The tourists find themselves trapped in jungle-covered mountains, held by a refugee tribe that believes Rupert, the group's surly teenager, is the reincarnation of their god Younger White Brother, come to save them from the unstable, militaristic Myanmar government. Tan's travelers, who range from a neurotic hypochondriac to the debonair, self-involved host of a show called The Fido Files, fight and flirt among themselves. While ensemble casting precludes the intimacy that characterizes Tan's mother-daughter stories, the book branches out with a broad plot and dynamic digressions. 

Lots of bad reviews out there for this book, but I have to say I enjoyed the audiobook.  Bibi's character is intruiging -- almost as if during the afterlife she begins to gain a deeper understanding of herself -- and I found the setting to be very well drawn.

#79 of 110 Old 02-17-2011, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

I'm thinking of getting an ereader and am leaning toward the Kindle. But those of you that have one-- do you like it? Is it like reading on a computer or like reading a book? Does anyone have a suggestion of which one is best and why???

#80 of 110 Old 02-17-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post

I'm thinking of getting an ereader and am leaning toward the Kindle. But those of you that have one-- do you like it? Is it like reading on a computer or like reading a book? Does anyone have a suggestion of which one is best and why???

I LOVE my Kindle. To me, the experience is much more like reading a book than reading on a computer screen. The e-ink screen is even easier on the eyes than paper and I adore the ability to cart a library to all of the kid activities. Amazon customer service has gone above and beyond with the Kindle, too.

Now, there is one drawback to the Kindle. If your library supports e-books, you can't read them on the Kindle. E-pub is a format that works for Sony, Kobo, Nook, but not Kindle. That said, I have found no shortage of free books for the Kindle. They are everywhere. 

#81 of 110 Old 02-18-2011, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post

I like my NOOKCOLOR.  If you have a barnes and  noble near you definately stop in and play with the nooks.  Nook is able to support library loans (a huge selling point for me) and Kindle cant do that.  The color screen is also another huge selling point for me.  I love the NOOK, there are tons of free downloads on BN, they seem to change the freebies every few weeks.  My son loves it as well.  I still read traditional paper books and probably will for a long time but the convience of the e-reader is wonderful.  Oh forgot to mention Nook lets you share books, kindle doesnt let you do that.

#82 of 110 Old 02-18-2011, 12:23 PM

The Kindle does support sharing now.  It works exactly the same as the Nook in that regard.

Honestly, I think that the Nook and the Kindle are both awesome devices and that you would love either one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

I like my NOOKCOLOR.  If you have a barnes and  noble near you definately stop in and play with the nooks.  Nook is able to support library loans (a huge selling point for me) and Kindle cant do that.  The color screen is also another huge selling point for me.  I love the NOOK, there are tons of free downloads on BN, they seem to change the freebies every few weeks.  My son loves it as well.  I still read traditional paper books and probably will for a long time but the convience of the e-reader is wonderful.  Oh forgot to mention Nook lets you share books, kindle doesnt let you do that.

#83 of 110 Old 02-18-2011, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood

Three women made the mistake of trusting beautiful Zenia and end up betrayed in the worst possible ways. When Zenia dies, they are able to move on . . . but then suddenly she's back. The story alternates between the story of each woman and from present to past. This was a quite different from Atwood's other futuristic writings and I had a hard time getting into it. But after about 100 pages, it started to click. While this is not my favorite of Atwood's books, it was enjoyable.

#84 of 110 Old 02-18-2011, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ereader comments. I'm actually going to B & N tomorrow for a signing of Wendelin Van Draanen's new book and will check them out while I'm there.

I'm also thinking of iPAD but they are so much more expensive . . .anyone have one of those??? 

#85 of 110 Old 02-19-2011, 12:07 PM

25. Troubled Waters by Sharon Shinn
26. Cat Running by Zilpha Keatley Snyder
27.Dead until Dark by Charlaine Harris
28.Sleeping Murder by Agatha Christie

#86 of 110 Old 02-19-2011, 05:48 PM

#2 Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts

I didn't expect to like this book at all, I'm not sure why, I think I was associating it with a Lifetime movie or something?  It was from my clean out the closet pile, actually almost all the books in this post are winky.gif  Anyway, the book wasn't as predictable and saccharine as I expected, I actually kind of enjoyed the coming of age the main character had.  Story starts out with a young pregnant woman traveling with her boyfriend across the country in his truck.  They stop at walmart and he deserts her there.  She lives there for a few months undiscovered.  The rest is about how she becomes part of this small town midwestern community.

#3 The Sea by John Banville

Enh, I skimmed to the end on this one.  It just never grabbed me. It's the story of a man looking back at his childhood memories of summers in a beach community and the friends he made, while simultaneously looking back on his relationship with his wife, who has just died of cancer.

#4 Open House by Elizabeth Berg

Another book read just b/c it's part of the pile and honestly, I feel the same about this one as I do the one above.  Enh.  Luckily, both of these books were short. Heh.  This one is about how a woman rediscovers herself when her husband leaves her.

#5 Little Bee by Chris Cleave

This is a Seattle Reads book, so I'm glad I read it.  The story was interesting, and I liked the way the author switched back and forth between two different narrators.  Something about the book could have had more depth of story or something though, while the subject matter was pretty heavy, I just felt like the author skimmed the surface of the characters and the story.  The story is about a woman from Africa who escaped violence there and ends up in England.  She's trying to find a couple who she met on the beach in Africa.

#6 The Four Agreements by Miguel Ruiz

Spiritual read about being true to yourself basically.  Good read, quick and easy to finish, somewhat less easy to implement.  If I remember correctly, the agreements are 1. be impeccable with your word, 2. don't take anything personally, 3. always do your best and....oops, I think I forgot the last one.  They all make sense though thumb.gif

#7 Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

Really good read.  I read this for my book club.  The story was fascinating, and I enjoyed learning more about Ethiopia.  The characters were really well drawn and it was a nice thick book, so plenty of time to get wrapped up in what's happening.  It starts out in a Catholic "hospital" in Ethiopia in the 50'/60's and ends up following the lives of twins who are born and grow up there.  Lots of focus on things of a medical nature with the setting and all the doctors and nurses involved.  I loved this one.  Double thumbs up.

#8 A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton

Another closet pile book and I'd been avoiding it b/c I know a kid dies in it.  But it turns out that's only a small facet of the story.  It follows a family of four in a formerly rural community as some terrible things happen.  The story is told really well and the characters really grabbed me. 

Reading The Hummingbird's Daughter right now and starting Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet.  Reading the 2nd Harry Potter and Little House in the Big Woods with DD.  Those are fun love.gif

#87 of 110 Old 02-20-2011, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Hey all . . . I went to B & N yesterday and checked out the Nook . . . looks like the b&w Nook is pretty much the same as a Kindle, but the benefit is that you can get eBooks from anywhere -- including the free library ones. The color Nook seems pretty similiar to an iPad. The guy was saying they are going to be getting a lot more Aps so it will be pretty much the same but for half the price. The only thing I didn't like was that it was more like a computer screen while the b&w was more like a book page . . . So no decision yet. I think the biggest question I have is will I like reading books on a screen and not holding the actual book in my hand.

#88 of 110 Old 02-20-2011, 01:11 PM

The Nook doesn't impress me.  A friend has it and I did not like it.  I love my Kindle because to me, it is more like an actual book.  I love that it does not have a backlight so I can read it outside.  Mine also still shows pictures, and I don't really care for my pictures to be in color, so it is not really an issue for me. 

It is all going to come down to your own preference.  Does someone you know have a Kindle that you can look at?  I show mine to people all the time.  Good luck finding one you like!

I have no idea on the IPad, I don't have one of those and I have never seen one in person before, either.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#89 of 110 Old 02-20-2011, 02:41 PM

The Day the Falls Stood Still, Buchanan

Quote:

1915. The dawn of the hydroelectric power era in Niagara Falls. Seventeen-year-old Bess Heath has led a sheltered existence as the youngest daughter of the director of the Niagara Power Company. After graduation day at her boarding school, she is impatient to return to her picturesque family home near Niagara Falls. But when she arrives, nothing is as she had left it. Her father has lost his job at the power company, her mother is reduced to taking in sewing from the society ladies she once entertained, and Isabel, her vivacious older sister, is a shadow of her former self. She has shut herself in her bedroom, barely eating--and harboring a secret.

The night of her return, Bess meets Tom Cole by chance on a trolley platform. She finds herself inexplicably drawn to him--against her family's strong objections. Rough-hewn and fearless, he lives off what the river provides and has an uncanny ability to predict the whims of the falls. His daring river rescues render him a local hero and cast him as a threat to the power companies that seek to harness the power of the falls for themselves. Bess is forced to make a painful choice between what she wants and what is best for her family and her future.  Set against the tumultuous backdrop of Niagara Falls, at a time when daredevils shot the river rapids in barrels and great industrial fortunes were made and lost as quickly as lives disappeared, The Day the Falls Stood Still is an intoxicating debut novel.

I really loved this novel.  My husband and I went to Niagara Falls last fall for our tenth wedding anniversary, and it was one of the most wonderful trips we've ever taken.  This book made me feel as if I were right there.  The characters were all so richly drawn -- Bess, Tom, and most of all the Niagara River.  Themes of compromise, family, and environmentalism were integrated into the story.

#90 of 110 Old 02-21-2011, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Purple Lotus . . . they told me that he nook black and white was like a Kindle and I did like that it didn't have the screen light . . . just looked like a book. But the color one you could go on the internet so that was kind of cool . . . I guess it depends to I just want an ereader or to I want something that does aps and stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple*Lotus View Post

The Nook doesn't impress me.  A friend has it and I did not like it.  I love my Kindle because to me, it is more like an actual book.  I love that it does not have a backlight so I can read it outside.  Mine also still shows pictures, and I don't really care for my pictures to be in color, so it is not really an issue for me. 

It is all going to come down to your own preference.  Does someone you know have a Kindle that you can look at?  I show mine to people all the time.  Good luck finding one you like!

I have no idea on the IPad, I don't have one of those and I have never seen one in person before, either.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page