January/February 2011 Book Challenge Thread - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 110 Old 02-21-2011, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I Think I Love You by Allison Pearson

Having had a major crush on David Cassidy when I was in fifth grade, I ordered this book as soon as heard about it. The story is about about a group of Welsh girls who are David Cassidy obsessed. Two in particular Petra and Sharon feel like they know everything there is to know about him so when they have a chance to meet him by filling out the "Ultimate David Cassidy Quiz" they pore over it for weeks until they finally have every answer. Years later, when Petra's mom dies and Petra is going through Mom's papers, she discovers that she had actually one the contest!

While I love the premise for the book and Peason's writing is great, the book was actually pretty boring. The first half with the girls obsessing over David was the same thing over and over. The only interesting part were the sections about Billy, the writer impresonating David Cassidy for the fan magazine. When we fast forward to the present when Petra find the letter, I perked up expecting some action but the big David meet-up was a big let-down and even the potential attraction starting up between Petra and Billy didn't have enough spark to ignite my interest. I don't like posting negative reviews but this book really disappointed me.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#92 of 110 Old 02-24-2011, 08:08 AM

I'm looking through you

Quote:
tells of growing up in a haunted house in Pennsylvania, where phantom footfalls and spectral mists were practically commonplace. This was a fitting-enough setting for young Boylan, then a boy who longed to become a girl. Back then I knew very little for certain about whatever it was that afflicted me, she writes. [I]n order to survive, I'd have to become something like a ghost myself, and keep the nature of my true self hidden. In 2006, years after her sex change, Boylan returned to her childhood home with a band of local ghostbusters as she struggled to reconcile with her past as James Boylan, as well as her memories of family members she'd loved and lost there.

I wasn't expecting the transgender aspect of this -- I was expecting a haunted house memoir.  Despite my different expectation, I really enjoyed the story -- Boylan is able to write humorously about difficult topics.

The Chocolate War, Cormier

Quote:
Does Jerry Renault dare to disturb the universe? You wouldn't think that his refusal to sell chocolates during his school's fundraiser would create such a stir, but it does; it's as if the whole school comes apart at the seams. To some, Jerry is a hero, but to others, he becomes a scapegoat--a target for their pent-up hatred. And Jerry? He's just trying to stand up for what he believes, but perhaps there is no way for him to escape becoming a pawn in this game of control; students are pitted against other students, fighting for honor--or are they fighting for their lives? In 1974, author Robert Cormier dared to disturb our universe when this book was first published. And now, with a new introduction by the celebrated author, The Chocolate War stands ready to shock a new group of teen readers.

Would love to use excerpts from this one for a guidance/bullying lesson...

#93 of 110 Old 02-24-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangamitroo View Post

The Woman who Fell from the Sky: An American Journalist in Yemen by Jennifer Steil

this was an enjoyable and well-written travel memoir about the author's year working as editor of the Yemen Observer.  i learned a bit about Yemen, feel like i got a taste of what life is like there (to a degree) for ordinary Yemenis.  for example, imagine being a cfemale college graduate, aspiring journalist--but you can't go out after dark?  the women on staff are very resourceful.  there were parts about parties with the expat community that were less interesting for me--though for Steil they were a necessary escape from a very conservative culture and her crazy work schedule.  near the end of the book, she met her now-fiance; he was already married, and i found that reading about their affair made me squirmy.  i would have liked a bit more Yemeni history--or maybe she has just gotten me interested.

on my commute i'm listening to The Help by Kathryn Stockett. i was # 25 on the library list.

i posted a bit ago about Steil's book.  wanted to give the link to my full review in case anyone was interested, curious, or willing to read and comment.

as for The Help, i'm very glad i had the audio.  with the book told in 3 voices, actually hearing 3 different voices was wonderful (and my mental Bostonian voice would not read Mississippi as well).  i was sorry to see it end, and really enjoyed it.  now i need another audio idea, so my commute is not dreadful again.

just started The Butterfly Mosque which i am loving so far.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#94 of 110 Old 02-24-2011, 05:10 PM

So far this month I have read Room, and tonight I should finish Water for Elephants.

Any suggestions for what I should read next?

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#95 of 110 Old 02-24-2011, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Have you read The Forgotten Garden?? I remember really liking that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple*Lotus View Post

So far this month I have read Room, and tonight I should finish Water for Elephants.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#96 of 110 Old 02-24-2011, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

The Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen

My daughter and I went to the book signing for this book by the author of Flipped (and many others). My 12 yo read it in 2 nights and I read it in the next 3. Very moving story about a teen track star who is in an accident and has to have her leg amputated. 

#97 of 110 Old 02-25-2011, 06:12 AM

Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning 

The last and final book of the the Darkfever series  by Karen Marie Moning  http://www.karenmoning.com/kmm/

This is has got to be the most politically incorrect series I’ve read!    Most of the characters are not even really likeable, but it is SO much fun!  This series is my guilty pleasure!       

What can I say?   These books are addicting and thoroughly enjoyable in the way that the Twilight series for me was. I just reread the first 4 because the 5th only just came out last month.   Because 4th book, Dreamfever had such a cliff hanger ending, with great anticipation I waited for the 5th and final book of this series to come out.  All of you who start the series now are very lucky because you’ll be able to read them straight through!   Here is the order of the series:

1.Darkfever

2.Bloodfever

3.Faefever

4.Dreamfever

5.Shadowfever

#98 of 110 Old 02-25-2011, 08:45 AM

I would like to read 50 books this year. I am so bad at tracking what I have read, so I am joining this thread again and also posting on face book.

So far since January 2011:

1) A Falcon for a Queen, Catherine Gaskin

2) Peace Like a River Leif Engel

3) Life of Pi by Yann Martel

4) The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, Carson McCullers

5) Little Bee Chris Cleave

6) The Lost Gate, Orson Scott Card

7) Gail Carriger does some great steam punk, "Blameless" was recent read

Reading four books right now:

The Places that scare you, Pema Chodron

The Zoo Keeper's Wife, Diane Ackerman

In the Bleak Midwinter, Julia Spencer-Fleming

Guardian Of The Darkness (Moribito) by Nahoko Uehashi with the kids

Various kids books as well, but I will not be counting them unless they are chapter books of a decent size.

#99 of 110 Old 02-25-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kofduke View Post

I'm looking through you

I wasn't expecting the transgender aspect of this -- I was expecting a haunted house memoir.  Despite my different expectation, I really enjoyed the story -- Boylan is able to write humorously about difficult topics.

The Chocolate War, Cormier

Would love to use excerpts from this one for a guidance/bullying lesson...

Oh, the Chocolate War sounds interesting!  I'm adding that to my list thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangamitroo View Post

i posted a bit ago about Steil's book.  wanted to give the link to my full review in case anyone was interested, curious, or willing to read and comment.

as for The Help, i'm very glad i had the audio.  with the book told in 3 voices, actually hearing 3 different voices was wonderful (and my mental Bostonian voice would not read Mississippi as well).  i was sorry to see it end, and really enjoyed it.  now i need another audio idea, so my commute is not dreadful again.

just started The Butterfly Mosque which i am loving so far.

I usually only listen to kid's books on audio....lol.gif  I can tell you I enjoyed hearing Anne of Green Gables on audio.  And the first 2 Harry Potters. lol.gif  It's all about the narrator isn't it? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple*Lotus View Post

I really loved Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet.  Just finished that one.  Cutting for Stone was great too.  Those are my 2 faves so far this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalilah View Post

Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning 

The last and final book of the the Darkfever series  by Karen Marie Moning  http://www.karenmoning.com/kmm/

This is has got to be the most politically incorrect series I’ve read!    Most of the characters are not even really likeable, but it is SO much fun!  This series is my guilty pleasure!       

What can I say?   These books are addicting and thoroughly enjoyable in the way that the Twilight series for me was. I just reread the first 4 because the 5th only just came out last month.   Because 4th book, Dreamfever had such a cliff hanger ending, with great anticipation I waited for the 5th and final book of this series to come out.  All of you who start the series now are very lucky because you’ll be able to read them straight through!   Here is the order of the series:

1.Darkfever

2.Bloodfever

3.Faefever

4.Dreamfever

5.Shadowfever

What are those about?  Sounds intriguing.....

Welcome Igraine!

#100 of 110 Old 02-26-2011, 10:11 AM

I haven't been posting my books lately, but here are my favorites I have read so far this year.

7.  The Enchanted Places by Christopher Milne

This was written by the real life Christopher Robin whose dad wrote the Pooh series. The books were inspired by Christopher and his adventures roaming around the woods with his stuffed animals.  Surprisingly, Christopher Milne doesn't see his childhood as such a magical time and he spent most of his time with his nanny.  It was interesting reading about how he felt a little bitter about his dad making a caricature of him.  Kind of sheds a different light on those innocent Pooh stories.

11.  Room by Emma Donoghue

This has been reviewed on here a lot and I found it just as fascinating as everyone else.  I thought the little boy's development and his manner of speaking and thinking about the world were spot on.  It was amazing how the author was able to get inside a child's mind to see how they might view the world after only living in a shed the first five years of his life.   

16.  Ape House by Sara Gruen

A new book written by the author of Water for Elephants.  It's not as good as Water for Elephants, but still stands on its own.  It follows a group of Bonobos apes as they are kidnapped from the research facility they live in and made into a spectacle on a live reality show. 

23.  Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl

All of the Borders bookstores in my area are closing and this is one of many books I picked up from there.  I love Roald Dahl and hadn't read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory yet.  It's a sweet, funny story.

24.  Left Neglected by Lisa Genova

This is my favorite book I have read so far this year.  It's about a woman at the top of her career who is also juggling three kids.  She is completely swamped and always multitasking, including texting, emailing and making phone calls in the car.  She gets into a terrible car accident and suffers brain damage that results in something called Left Neglect.  She has no concept of left.  She isn't aware of the left side of her body, cannot look to her left and does not see anything that's on her left, only eats the food of the right side of her plate, only reads the words on the right side of the page, etc. 

This book was fascinating and although I have never heard of such a disease, it's common and very real.  I enjoyed reading how the woman coped with the disease and saw her life for what it was and what it could be after the accident forced her to slow down.  I usually don't like contemporary fiction but this had just the right twist to make it interesting.  I highly recommend this one.

#101 of 110 Old 02-27-2011, 01:22 PM

1. Room by Emma Donoghue- I enjoyed this book, especially seeing how a Mother could keep a child entertained in such a small space for so long.  A must read, in my opinion.

2.  Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen- I dislike the circus to the point where I will not entertain the idea of doing a circus unit in my classroom.  Still, a friend suggested that I read it.  It was hard for me to read some sections, but overall I did enjoy the book.  It still makes me dislike the circus. 

Currently I am reading Unsweetined by Jodie Sweetin.  I am about halfway through.  I wasn't expecting to enjoy it, but she is a good writer and it flows really well.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#102 of 110 Old 02-27-2011, 01:46 PM

Silver Borne by Patricia Briggs

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/patricia-briggs/silver-borne.htm

The 5th book of the Mercy Thompson Series.  Great Urban Fantasy with Mercedes Thompson, a shape shifter living in a world filled with werewolves, vampires and Fae. Well written, suspenseful with a bit of humour.

#103 of 110 Old 02-27-2011, 02:27 PM

M is for Magic, gaiman

Quote:      
 "He knew that if you ran away you sometimes met bad people who did bad things to you; but he had also read fairy tales, so he knew that there were kind people out there, side by side with the monsters."

Intruiging little collection Gaiman's short stories.  Apparently many have appeared in other collections, and one was an excerpt from the Graveyard Book...but a great introduction to his stories.

#104 of 110 Old 02-28-2011, 11:04 AM

finished The Butterfly Mosque by G. Willow Wilson.  i loved it!  a young woman moves from the US to Cairo after college.  even before going, she wants to convert to Islam, but her family/friends are areligious and she worries about their reaction.  she describes life in the city beautifully, she converts, she grows.

have not written my review, but for now i recommend this one.

& if anyone has travel/life abroad books to recommend, i'd love to hear about them.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#105 of 110 Old 02-28-2011, 05:46 PM

February 2011

1. Room by Emma Donoghue- I enjoyed this book, especially seeing how a Mother could keep a child entertained in such a small space for so long.  A must read, in my opinion.

2.  Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen- I dislike the circus to the point where I will not entertain the idea of doing a circus unit in my classroom.  Still, a friend suggested that I read it.  It was hard for me to read some sections, but overall I did enjoy the book.  It still makes me dislike the circus. 

3. Unsweetined by Jodie Sweetin.  I wasn’t expecting much, but she is a good writer and it flowed really well.  I enjoyed it.  The pictures in the back were really nice of her and her little girl.  

#106 of 110 Old 02-28-2011, 05:48 PM

Today I started reading, A World Apart, Women, Prison and Life Behind Bars, by Cristina Rathbone.

I also started a GoodReads account today but I am not sure how to add people to it yet.

Will we have a new thread tomorrow, when March begins?

#107 of 110 Old 02-28-2011, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reminder. I set up March [URL=http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1300570/march-book-challenge#post_16292069]here[/URL].

#108 of 110 Old 03-04-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliki_kila View Post
24.  Left Neglected by Lisa Genova

This is my favorite book I have read so far this year.  It's about a woman at the top of her career who is also juggling three kids.  She is completely swamped and always multitasking, including texting, emailing and making phone calls in the car.  She gets into a terrible car accident and suffers brain damage that results in something called Left Neglect.  She has no concept of left.  She isn't aware of the left side of her body, cannot look to her left and does not see anything that's on her left, only eats the food of the right side of her plate, only reads the words on the right side of the page, etc. 

This book was fascinating and although I have never heard of such a disease, it's common and very real.  I enjoyed reading how the woman coped with the disease and saw her life for what it was and what it could be after the accident forced her to slow down.  I usually don't like contemporary fiction but this had just the right twist to make it interesting.  I highly recommend this one.

I've got this one on hold and LOVED her first one -- Still Alice.  She's coming to a local bookstore soon.  I'd love to see her.
Last two for Feburary:

29.The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie
30. Redemption by Laurel Dewey

#109 of 110 Old 03-04-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufomander View Post

I've got this one on hold and LOVED her first one -- Still Alice.  She's coming to a local bookstore soon.  I'd love to see her.
Last two for Feburary:

29.The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie
30. Redemption by Laurel Dewey

I liked Still Alice, too, and thought Left Neglected was even better!

#110 of 110 Old 03-05-2011, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Ooooo -- I also loved Still Alice. Can't wait to read this one!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page